23-24 non-Wednesday football tonight / when SKY, TNT (BT), Amazon dictates.

I didn't know you were Spanish.

One pass from Palmer to Gordon is the only decent football we've played so far.

Having Trafford and the defenders play out in the 1:5 chance that a full back manages to get possession in space isn't good football, when 4 of the other 5 attempts end in Spanish possession, a foul or it back with Trafford.

Edited by Andyben

May be of interest to some, basically just spoke to the chap that introduced VAR to British sport.

Chap that ran Sky Sports rugby league coverage upto 2019 and now does the directing role on the C4 coverage.

Also mixes the streams of the Premiership rugby union games not on TV - from his own home. Fascinating chat for 20 minutes or so 

Love the fact that Eddie Hemmings the old RL commentator now has a dodgy streaming box 

• Haha 2

The BBC has announced its 'team' for the upcoming Women's World Cup. Only two chaps included within the list.

Compare this to the World Cup last year. In the vast majority of matches, there was one lassie in amongst the studio 'experts', with at least one other (usually more) doing the pitchside interviews.

Seems equality only operates in one direction. Might have to drop the ***** a wee email.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EastCraigsOwl said:

The BBC has announced its 'team' for the upcoming Women's World Cup. Only two chaps included within the list.

Compare this to the World Cup last year. In the vast majority of matches, there was one lassie in amongst the studio 'experts', with at least one other (usually more) doing the pitchside interviews.

Seems equality only operates in one direction. Might have to drop the ***** a wee email.

Don't care not going to be watching that shite anyway 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EastCraigsOwl said:

Personally I've no problem with that line up. The majority on that list are or have been part of the women's game and it's a very different game to the men's. I don't like it when Rio Ferdinand, Ian Wright, or Danny Murphy pop up on women's games because their 'analysis' is always male game orientated. It's like equality in reverse. 

But I also understand the inclusion of Alex Scott etc at the World Cup. Due to the take off of the women's game there are more women watching the men's game so the TV channels are covering the bases to keep the new demographic. 

Mk has already vocalised how a lot of men will be feeling regarding this tournament (their choice and no problem with it) so throwing the Match of the Day crew at it or having Roy Keane and Gary Neville giving their views would be a waste of time and money. 

Leave it to those who know the game best for those who'll be watching it.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, EastCraigsOwl said:

Neither am I. The piss poor standard of goalkeeping means I can't take it seriously, so tend to give it a miss.

Simply highlighting the blatant hypocrisy on show.

Fully understand that is the case. 

Mentioned in another thread about meeting a former Sky Sports chap yesterday. Basically saying its a full on corporate entity these days and it's all box ticking for HR diversity targets.

He was glad to be out of it 

• Like 1

There's no hypocrisy. 

Women watch the men's game so have the odd informed female pundit on. Men think the women's game is shit so why bother 'levelling up' the gender equality just because you don't like Alex Scott being on Match of the Day 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

There's no hypocrisy. 

Women watch the men's game so have the odd informed female pundit on. Men think the women's game is shit so why bother 'levelling up' the gender equality just because you don't like Alex Scott being on Match of the Day 

Of course it's hypocrisy, zero need to have female commentary or pundits on the mens game is there.  They have never played to that level, so what insight do they bring bar the same tired old clichés 

2 hours ago, Tylluan said:

Personally I've no problem with that line up. The majority on that list are or have been part of the women's game and it's a very different game to the men's. I don't like it when Rio Ferdinand, Ian Wright, or Danny Murphy pop up on women's games because their 'analysis' is always male game orientated. It's like equality in reverse. 

But I also understand the inclusion of Alex Scott etc at the World Cup. Due to the take off of the women's game there are more women watching the men's game so the TV channels are covering the bases to keep the new demographic. 

Mk has already vocalised how a lot of men will be feeling regarding this tournament (their choice and no problem with it) so throwing the Match of the Day crew at it or having Roy Keane and Gary Neville giving their views would be a waste of time and money. 

Leave it to those who know the game best for those who'll be watching it.

I agree they're two very different games. However, the BBC (and they're obviously not exclusive on this front) apparently disagree.

The number of times I check the football home page and there's a headline "Chelsea sign xxx". My first thought is, "who the fuck is that?" Then I look just below and it says 'women's football'.

Why are they sharing the same page? It can't be too difficult to split them? I also imagine supporters of women's football would prefer that, as it would allow room for more headlines on their main page, rather than 3 or 4 in amongst the men's stuff.

1 hour ago, Tylluan said:

There's no hypocrisy. 

I'm not particularly a fan or not a fan of Alex Scott to be honest (I realise she was probably just a random name pick).

Karen Carney though. I'd defo buy her a drink! 🙂

6 minutes ago, EastCraigsOwl said:

I agree they're two very different games. However, the BBC (and they're obviously not exclusive on this front) apparently disagree.

The number of times I check the football home page and there's a headline "Chelsea sign xxx". My first thought is, "who the fuck is that?" Then I look just below and it says 'women's football'.

Why are they sharing the same page? It can't be too difficult to split them? I also imagine supporters of women's football would prefer that, as it would allow room for more headlines on their main page, rather than 3 or 4 in amongst the men's stuff.

I'm not particularly a fan or not a fan of Alex Scott to be honest (I realise she was probably just a random name pick).

Karen Carney though. I'd defo buy her a drink! 🙂

That'd be some conversation, a jock and a Brummie....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

Of course it's hypocrisy, zero need to have female commentary or pundits on the mens game is there.  They have never played to that level, so what insight do they bring bar the same tired old clichés 

Talk about a tired old cliché. Does that mean Mourinho, Sarri,  Naglesmann, Rodgers, Grant, Houllier and countless others should never have coached top sides because they never played top end football. By that reckoning I shouldn't be earning a living out of it. Passing your badges doesn't make you a manager, ask Gerrard and Lampard, same as playing at the top level doesn't make you a top pundit. 

It's true that female presenters come out with clichés. Maybe they've been told to or maybe they feel it's how they have to act in order to fit in now they have a foot in the door. Can you imagine the twitter vitriol if Emma Hayes described Man Utd's loss to Liverpool in the same way Gary Neville did. Or saying Frank Lampard was out of his depth at Chelsea like Danny (never managed an u10s team) Murphy did? 

But I'd rather listen to Alex Scott, Karen Carney, and Ellen White than Danny Murphy, Martin Keown, and Jermaine Jenas. If you want banal uninformed 'opinion' then they're your men. How many times does Murphy say 'back in my day' but the game has moved on ten years. 

Edited by Tylluan
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

Talk about a tired old cliché. Does that mean Mourinho, Sarri,  Naglesmann, Rodgers, Grant, Houllier and countless others should never have coached top sides because they never played top end football. By that reckoning I shouldn't be earning a living out of it. Passing your badges doesn't make you a manager, ask Gerrard and Lampard, same as playing at the top level doesn't make you a top pundit. 

It's true that female presenters come out with clichés. Maybe they've been told to or maybe they feel it's how they have to act in order to fit in now they have a foot in the door. Can you imagine the twitter vitriol if Emma Hayes described Man Utd's loss to Liverpool in the same way Gary Neville did. Or saying Frank Lampard was out of his depth at Chelsea like Danny (never managed an u10s team) Murphy did? 

But I'd rather listen to Alex Scott, Karen Carney, and Ellen White than Danny Murphy, Martin Keown, and Jermaine Jenas. If you want banal uninformed 'opinion' then they're your men. How many times does Murphy say 'back in my day' but the game has moved on ten years. 

Ok they have never managed, coached, been involved in the mens game - so their view is of no interest to me when it comes to media punditry - unlike the others that can offer some insight from being involved at the top level 

Its the equivalent of asking a pub singer to critique a Glastonbury headliner 

I concur that those BBC male pundits speak utter crap - but that does not excuse box ticking to give banal women pundits a chance 

Why not focus on the best, or radical just drop the pundits. I can't be the only one who turns on for kick off, puts on mute at HT and hits the off button at FT 

Music is actually a good analogy because I would listen to female musicians or presenters speak on the subject because there is no gender differentiation in the quality 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Tylluan said:

I'd add Fara Williams to your list at the end of that.  Speaks extremely well despite her bit of a lisp. Always adds to a discussion.  (Emma Hayes speaks brilliant content, though I absolutely can't stand her accent and tone, unfortunately.) 

In general terms, Alex Scott was made for television.  Having over a hundred England caps doesn't hurt. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

Good news for the rest of us hopefully. Sadly now that away games are basically a closed shop for the few, the more the merrier of TV I say

I'm rather hoping that the "closed shop" situation isn't going to be quite as bad this season. The number of tiny allocations of the last two seasons hopefully won't be as bad this time around.  

Noticed that Viaplay are pulling out of the UK market, citing the cannot compete against the established providers Sky and TNT.

The main rights were the Euro qualifiers - but that and its other rights were not something you would actually pay for on top.

Already been mentioned that the Permier League appear to have won the rights for the FA Cup, which they will sell on to actual broadcasters but the key aspect is that it permits the control of the calendar. You have to question the purpose of the FA

15 minutes ago, Owling_Wolf said:

I used to be, in my last job.  Had to jump through some  hoops but don't think I missed a home game.  You're right it doesn't help, of course. 

Only joking pal

Goes with the flow, although it seems like the flow is always against.

A bit like the Club really 🤪 😄

• Thanks 1