23-24 non-Wednesday football tonight / when SKY, TNT (BT), Amazon dictates.

And off we go

11/08

20: 00 Vincent Kompany's Burnley vs his old treble winning Citeh

12/08

12:30 Choking Arsenal vs Forest

17:30 Champions League Newcastle vs Villa

13/08

16:30

Shit Chelsea vs Shit Victims

14/08

20:00

Just for a change Man Utd vs Wolves.

Edited by Skamp

• Skamp changed the title to 23-24 non-Wednesday football tonight / when SKY, TNT (BT), Amazon dictates.
1 hour ago, Andyben said:

its the same just a rebrand without Jake Beige Humphreys

Tbf I am not sure what you can really do that different - certain plaudits for CBS in the US, but that has Spit the Dog and the chronically unfunny and uninformed Micah Richards so please no 

The match coverage itself is pretty standard across all the channels - so its just the pre / post stuff really - which I tend to avoid most of the time 

Saying that if anyone saw the BBC coverage of the FA Cup Final - that really was piss poor 

We were shit, simple as.

The formation was wrong, the tactics were wrong, the ideas were wrong and the attitude was wrong. 

Playing basically a 4-1-1-4 in the hope of overwhelming them with pace and keeping them pushed back came up against a well organised midfield 4 who strolled through the middle of the park and fed their front 3. 

Having lost Bale, Page now has a fanboy crush on Ramsey to the point of thinking he can do the Declan Rice role but that left Ampadu horribly exposed and sometimes wondering which one of 3 players he was supposed to pick up. Against Croatia and Latvia Ramsey played as a 10 but for some stupid reason he was played as a 4 against Armenia. 

Said after the last World Cup that Page had to go. That we were better off scratching this Euros qualification in order to build a younger team for a go at the next World Cup. 

But there's now a (false) expectation that we should be qualifying for major tournaments and Page kept his job after scraping a 93rd min draw against a Croatia side that couldn't hit a barn door with a cannon and should have been 10-0 up before half time. Then we had a heroic 1-0 at home against the mighty Latvia. 

If we get gubbed against Turkey, on Monday, then maybe that weight of qualification expectation will force Page out before the games against South Korea and Latvia in September. 

One voice we won't hear on Sky coverage is Martin Tyler who is leaving commentary duties after 30 years. On the basis he seem to annoy Liverpool fans then he will be sadly missed 😄

Always seemed a decent commentator, certainly don't see how the likes of Motson or Clive Tyldesley were any better. And for some reason Peter Dreary gets a lot of plaudits

Anyway I am sure Sky have the appropriate replacement lined up, what is Diane Abbott up to these days 

I’d want a year of him playing that role at Liverpool before I get carried away about him in an England shirt.

But, I saw a fair amount of him playing there for Liverpool at the end of last season, and it suits his skillset, he was very good. Perhaps a natural replacement for Henderson for club and country in a couple of years time.

There isn’t a player like him in the squad that has that range of passing.

Maddison needs a big club, as much as I like him, when it mattered at the end of the season for Leicester, he went missing. 

39 minutes ago, KrolMong said:

Maddison needs a big club, as much as I like him, when it mattered at the end of the season for Leicester, he went missing. 

Maddison could move to Real Madrid win the Ballon D'or and still be behind Sterling in Southgate's mind, picking up the odd cap wide left or right

• Like 1

19 hours ago, HoylandOwl said:

Kane becomes the first ever player to score 50 goals in competitive games for England. 

Hardly surprising with the shite that's in qualifying groups nowadays.  Also the number of nations in finals. Not to mention the sheer number of games.  Proper player, mind. 

Sky and indeed BT doing a lot of cost cutting behind the scenes. A lot of the reporter's who go on screen on Soccer Saturday have been culled 

Though given Sky spend hundreds of millions on getting the games in the first place, this all seems small beer savings 

Be interesting how the next round of TV rights goes. At some stage the Premier League could go direct to customer, but I am not convinced it would work. Whilst I pay primarily for the sport it does come part of a TV bundle.

I appreciate the IPTV argument but ultimately if no one pays for content then there will be no content 

On 17/06/2023 at 12:01, Tylluan said:

Maddison could move to Real Madrid win the Ballon D'or and still be behind Sterling in Southgate's mind, picking up the odd cap wide left or right

I’m hoping the dip in form sees him behind the likes of Grealish, Saka, Foden, Rashford, Eze and Maddison (if he gets a good move).

Wolves have sold Ruben Neves to Al Hilal for £47m. Not bad for a player with one year left on his contract.

But you know football is fucked when a 26 year old is off to Saudi for the money. I wonder if it'll come crashing down after the Saudi's get bored with it after their world cup bid. 

8 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

Wolves have sold Ruben Neves to Al Hilal for £47m. Not bad for a player with one year left on his contract.

But you know football is fucked when a 26 year old is off to Saudi for the money. I wonder if it'll come crashing down after the Saudi's get bored with it after their world cup bid. 

If only it was in the non Wednesday transfers thread…. 😝

• Haha 1

I know the standard of opposition was poor, but England were a pretty decent watch last night. 

Think I'm missing something with Connor Gallagher though, looked alright at Palace year before last, but thought he's looked very average since. Saka on the other hand, I could watch all day long

• 2 weeks later...

Ok - so let's pop in the first of the games to be on Sky (other than those PL games previously posted)

Championship

Friday 04/08/20 @ 20:00 - Us v Southampton

Sunday 06/08/2023 @ 12:00 Leicester v Coventry/ @ 14:30 Leeds vs Cardiff/ @ 17:00 Sunderland v Ipswich

Carabo Cup

08/08/2023 @20:00 Wrexham vs Wigan 

Sat 12 Aug  :  Coventry City v Middlesbrough 12:30
Tue 15 Aug : Portsmouth v Exeter City 20:00 
Fri 18 Aug : Leeds United v West Bromwich Albion 20:00
Sat 19 Aug: Plymouth Argyle v Southampton 12:30
Sun 20 Aug : Norwich City v Millwall 12:00

Plus Burton v Leicester in Carabao Cup Wed 9th Aug

QPR v Watford on the opening weekend is now Watford v QPR due to QPR's pitch not being ready