Derby game…. It may as well be the match thread..

The amount of people already saying why fucking bother with the playoffs Or such like is doing my box in.

They’re not supporters. 

Yes I accept we’ve not been in fantastic form, yes we’ve fell away from the top spot, but ffsake it’s not over!

We’re supposed to be supporters. 
leave time for a post-mortem IF WE DONT. Not assume we haven’t now.

• Like 5

Agree both. Whilst I’m concerned about the playoffs, the players will be better with positive fans behind them, as is always the case.

Although potentially playing the Dingles in a playoff final bothers me, particularly without Byers and potentially a Windass not firing on all cylinders. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Owling_Wolf said:

Playing the final league game in front of an extra ten thousand mithering fannies worries me more than the game itself.  😠

It's OK Owling it 9,999 mothering fannies as I'm not there 🤣😭

Ps.  Sorry, I meant Play Off Final not the Derby match.

Edited by Hirstys 12th Pint

Our recent track record in play offs does mean us pessimists have the statistical back up for our views compared to the eternal optimists out there. 

Of course you bother with them the question is whether our players will actually be up for it, whether our manager will be tactically out shone again.

If we do make the final perhaps fuck off from having a nice day and focus on the winning aspect of it. 

We only really need to hold an inquest if things go pear shaped. If we end up promoted via the playoffs having finished 3rd on 90+ points, we’d all take that.

If things go wrong, we can point the finger at the coach, players and owner and rightfully demand a bit of an inquest on the final 12/15 games of the season.

I see it like this, if we get some bodies back, we have a better squad than all of those below us - so it’s ours to lose.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Owling_Wolf said:

Playing the final league game in front of an extra ten thousand mithering fannies worries me more than the game itself.  😠

Extra 10k? You always been this wank at maths?

Edited by Reesh

I am genuinely worried that the pessimism of us not winning the play offs is going to become a self-fulfilling prophecy. Have decided to stop reading some of the nonsense on Twitter, we seem to have an inordinately large number of fans who prefer to have a stick to beat the club with than actually see it being successful. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Chelters said:

I am genuinely worried that the pessimism of us not winning the play offs is going to become a self-fulfilling prophecy. Have decided to stop reading some of the nonsense on Twitter, we seem to have an inordinately large number of fans who prefer to have a stick to beat the club with than actually see it being successful. 

Until we address the fundamental issues that under pin the Club then it will always arise 

We are run like a League 1 team, its unsurprising we are a League 1 team. Unfortunately far too many of our fans think we have some divine right to be in a higher division simply because of tradition and history. Lose that and focus on the truth staring us in the face

The stick we should be beating is simply that if you are run in such a scattergun short termist manner, then its hardly a surprise we fuck up and are in League 1

I long for the day we become Red Bull Wednesday 

28 minutes ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

Until we address the fundamental issues that under pin the Club then it will always arise 

We are run like a League 1 team, its unsurprising we are a League 1 team. Unfortunately far too many of our fans think we have some divine right to be in a higher division simply because of tradition and history. Lose that and focus on the truth staring us in the face

The stick we should be beating is simply that if you are run in such a scattergun short termist manner, then its hardly a surprise we fuck up and are in League 1

I long for the day we become Red Bull Wednesday 

Great post.

I don’t want to be pessimistic about us but that is what I am at the moment, and I think I allowed myself to get caught up in the hype and hysteria of our season up until the last 10 games or so. 

I’ve always had my doubts about Moore, but it’s difficult to be critical of a manager when the club is on a massive unbeaten run. Yes we were lucky at times during that run, but you make your own luck and I was beginning to think that this was it, that the rock on our back which has kept us back for so long was finally being lifted. Deep down though I always wondered how things would be when our unbeaten run ended, but even I didn’t think they’d be as bad as they have been results and performance wise.

And with the rose tinted now long gone as well, I look at our squad of players with a more realistic eye and suddenly realise their age, I look at how we are playing, our team setup and our tactics, and I can’t see a long term positive outcome. Even if we go up through the playoffs, we’d get murdered in the Championship playing with the players we and system Moore has us playing now - we could have all our injured players back and I still think we’d struggle in the Championship.

And I now come on to my next observation, which is about Chansiri. I have never, ever criticised him as I’ve always appreciated the fact that he came into the club and backed us - and it very nearly paid off. But even I’m now questioning what his vision for the club is. Does he have a long term plan, calculated and costed out, with realistic aims, objectives and timelines, which is regularly revisited and updated? Or are we just winging it on a day to day/season by season basis? I’m beginning to think it’s the latter and if that is the case, then we’re always going to be hovering about where we are now unless everything somehow and miraculously falls into place for us.

If we are to stay as we are, we seriously need someone who is savvy not just in business but in football to advise and guide Chansiri, and I think we also need, as some have alluded to in posts made this season, a Director of Football or something similar (be that Moore or someone to advise him). We also need to look at clubs like Brentford and Brighton and learn from them. Both of these clubs have come from lower leagues and relative obscurity to become established clubs which are currently holding their own in the Premier League. They are proof that clubs like ours can succeed and can be competitive at a decent level. If they can do it, then so can we - but not how we are operating as a club currently.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Top post Bellsview 

I probably did not get carried away, this squad whilst doing well never had me excited by the way it played, never had the air of a good promotion winning side. But even I was swayed after the results v Plymouth, the away wins at Wycombe and Charlton, the game v Ipswich to an extent. 

Ipswich probably have the set up to be top half of the Championship - so become like Luton (another example that proves sensible long term planning far outweighs the short term throw all at it approach) 

Plymouth - may start well  and fade. Should have enough to stop us first season 

Us - if we do go up, this squad and playing style is simply not good enough. For once Joey Barton - loathe him or really loathe him - was bang on

• Like 1

Two great posts above. 
However I’m not sure Brentford and Brighton are great comparisons as there is an air of positivity and achievement around those clubs that we will never have.

Better comparisons are Wolves, Sunderland, Forest. Clubs that have fallen on hard times but working their way back. And in all cases lots of money required. 

10 minutes ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

Top post Bellsview 

I probably did not get carried away, this squad whilst doing well never had me excited by the way it played, never had the air of a good promotion winning side. But even I was swayed after the results v Plymouth, the away wins at Wycombe and Charlton, the game v Ipswich to an extent. 

Ipswich probably have the set up to be top half of the Championship - so become like Luton (another example that proves sensible long term planning far outweighs the short term throw all at it approach) 

Plymouth - may start well  and fade. Should have enough to stop us first season 

Us - if we do go up, this squad and playing style is simply not good enough. For once Joey Barton - loathe him or really loathe him - was bang on

Luton who cheated?

Ipswich who cheated?

Great examples.

1 hour ago, Chelters said:

Two great posts above. 
However I’m not sure Brentford and Brighton are great comparisons as there is an air of positivity and achievement around those clubs that we will never have.

Better comparisons are Wolves, Sunderland, Forest. Clubs that have fallen on hard times but working their way back. And in all cases lots of money required. 

B & B - London / close to London. Owned by Dodgy bastards

Wolves - Laundering Chinese money / dodgy agents 

Forest - Owned by a heroin dealer

Sunderland - worse than us, owned by crackpots, supported by smackheads https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/23480793.sunderland-man-admits-sex-act-captured-seagull/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bellsview said:

Great post.

I don’t want to be pessimistic about us but that is what I am at the moment, and I think I allowed myself to get caught up in the hype and hysteria of our season up until the last 10 games or so. 

I’ve always had my doubts about Moore, but it’s difficult to be critical of a manager when the club is on a massive unbeaten run. Yes we were lucky at times during that run, but you make your own luck and I was beginning to think that this was it, that the rock on our back which has kept us back for so long was finally being lifted. Deep down though I always wondered how things would be when our unbeaten run ended, but even I didn’t think they’d be as bad as they have been results and performance wise.

And with the rose tinted now long gone as well, I look at our squad of players with a more realistic eye and suddenly realise their age, I look at how we are playing, our team setup and our tactics, and I can’t see a long term positive outcome. Even if we go up through the playoffs, we’d get murdered in the Championship playing with the players we and system Moore has us playing now - we could have all our injured players back and I still think we’d struggle in the Championship.

And I now come on to my next observation, which is about Chansiri. I have never, ever criticised him as I’ve always appreciated the fact that he came into the club and backed us - and it very nearly paid off. But even I’m now questioning what his vision for the club is. Does he have a long term plan, calculated and costed out, with realistic aims, objectives and timelines, which is regularly revisited and updated? Or are we just winging it on a day to day/season by season basis? I’m beginning to think it’s the latter and if that is the case, then we’re always going to be hovering about where we are now unless everything somehow and miraculously falls into place for us.

If we are to stay as we are, we seriously need someone who is savvy not just in business but in football to advise and guide Chansiri, and I think we also need, as some have alluded to in posts made this season, a Director of Football or something similar (be that Moore or someone to advise him). We also need to look at clubs like Brentford and Brighton and learn from them. Both of these clubs have come from lower leagues and relative obscurity to become established clubs which are currently holding their own in the Premier League. They are proof that clubs like ours can succeed and can be competitive at a decent level. If they can do it, then so can we - but not how we are operating as a club currently.

I think the short term view of Chansiri was massively evident in his first year or two. Chucking ridiculous amounts at players in the hope it would get us over the line and we were so close. If we had. We wouldn’t be where we are now.

He has made crazy decisions seemingly in the past, spaffing cash left and right and alienating fans with prices and attracting negative press without truly seeing error in his ways. Resulting in embargo’s and points deducted…All adding up to where we are now.

HOWEVER….

Over the last year or so SINCE THEN. it appears we have made strides in the opposite direction. Pricing has become more sensible, we haven’t chucked all our eggs in one basket. 
The CEO seems to have his head screwed on, decisions aren’t as scattergun seemingly. 

No things aren’t perfect, far from that. There are many clubs in a better position, on and off the pitch and a combination of both.

Failure to go up this year would represent a huge missed opportunity. And I fear, because of uncertainty of what’s next. It could be the end for DC. Now again. Not saying he’s the messiah, far from it, but who/what comes next? We’ve seen clubs seemingly overwhelmingly positive about their new owners then it falls to even worse shit than we’ve seen. While there are others have have thrived.

All I know is we need to be out of this division for a multitude of reasons

28 minutes ago, HoylandOwl said:

I think the short term view of Chansiri was massively evident in his first year or two. Chucking ridiculous amounts at players in the hope it would get us over the line and we were so close. If we had. We wouldn’t be where we are now.

He has made crazy decisions seemingly in the past, spaffing cash left and right and alienating fans with prices and attracting negative press without truly seeing error in his ways. Resulting in embargo’s and points deducted…All adding up to where we are now.

HOWEVER….

Over the last year or so SINCE THEN. it appears we have made strides in the opposite direction. Pricing has become more sensible, we haven’t chucked all our eggs in one basket. 
The CEO seems to have his head screwed on, decisions aren’t as scattergun seemingly. 

No things aren’t perfect, far from that. There are many clubs in a better position, on and off the pitch and a combination of both.

Failure to go up this year would represent a huge missed opportunity. And I fear, because of uncertainty of what’s next. It could be the end for DC. Now again. Not saying he’s the messiah, far from it, but who/what comes next? We’ve seen clubs seemingly overwhelmingly positive about their new owners then it falls to even worse shit than we’ve seen. While there are others have have thrived.

All I know is we need to be out of this division for a multitude of reasons

I am firmly in the camp of Chansiri could do a lot better to set a longer term strategy IF that is his aim 

Whilst at the same time thinking there are a hell of lot potential worse options out there 

You certainly won't find any in the local business community sticking their funds in 

However as he appointed Carlos the clueless then sadly he can never be forgiven 

4 hours ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

I am firmly in the camp of Chansiri could do a lot better to set a longer term strategy IF that is his aim 

Whilst at the same time thinking there are a hell of lot potential worse options out there 

You certainly won't find any in the local business community sticking their funds in 

However as he appointed Carlos the clueless then sadly he can never be forgiven 

I agree he can do a lot better. But I think it’s worth saying, he has seemingly learned from some of his mistakes. Not all. Some. 

Agree with a lot of what’s been said.

Whilst I also get a bit frustrated by the pessimism etc, you have to remember some people didn’t see the team of the 90s and are probably at the fact that they’ve never seen us in the top flight during their adult life.

Then there are those like me that did see the team of the 80s and 90s and think why can’t we get back to that level and the false dawns since we got relegated from the PL.

Its not difficult to understand the pessimism.

And as is often said, it’s the hope that kills you. We’ve had it this season and we’ve had it numerous times in my time watching Wednesday, all to be thwarted except for what in hindsight was a complete one off and our League Cup win.

However, one last push to lift the team could do it. FFS we we’ve beaten Newcastle this season and put some other good performances so it is possible.

• Like 1

I don’t really care to be honest, I’ll still support us and that’s that.

yes we can be great we can be wank but what’s alternative? Support that shit across the city! Fuck that.

What will be will be. Fuck em. I’ll still be there 

• Like 8

50 minutes ago, Winco said:

yes we can be great we can be wank but what’s alternative? Support that shit across the city! Fuck that.

Same here listening to all the bollox tonight on Radio Pig I’d still rather be blue n white 🙌🙌🙌

11 hours ago, Winco said:

That is fair enough, there is certainly no objective to watch any other Club other than Wednesday, just be nice if we were actually not bad