Derby game…. It may as well be the match thread..

I really enjoyed that first half, both sides playing decent football, in the right spirit. Trying to suss each other out with I’d say us having the upper hand, even without the pen, which wasn’t a pen but…. We may have scored anyway.

As others have said FDB just went through the motions for the most part and Smith took a while to get into the game. 
But a big well done for me for Brown, he’s had stick during his time here and for the most part it’s been not so unfair as he’s been bang average. Today though he made it a physical game, especially for Mendez Laing who just couldn’t get the better of him. Yes, ML isn’t a world beater but with the ‘inspiration’ of turning us over he might have had more of an impact but Brown stopped that.

Dawson too was excellent today, couple of fantastic saves, good claims from corners and martialled the defence well, and his kicking was far better than Wildsmith’s which was AWFUL.

One thing I did laugh at in the first half was the chant ‘CAMERON DAWSON, he’s better than you…’ to which Joe smiled at then put his thumb up to the Kop. 

It’s good to go into the playoffs with a win, it’s better to go in knocking them out. That’s a bit of payback for the other year… But… it’s not conclusive for us of course like that result. 

• Like 1

We thought Brown had a 'mare in the first half, causing absolute chaos at the back at times, but he certainly did some good things later on.  Dawson was our saviour today.  Deffo MOTM. 

Well, I never expected to see Derby be the ones to miss out on the playoffs today!  I'd say that we still owe them another one or two in future.

We definitely didn’t play at full pelt. As soon as the ref gave the pen I thought red card. Obviously seeing the replays it’s a bit soft but can see why he gave it.

Quite a few positives there : Iorfa is definitely looking a bit better, Brown did well, Vaulks was excellent and Dawson was faultless.

Pato still frustrates at times and FDB just doesn’t have the brain to go with his ability. Shame really.

• Like 1

I think Brown needs a bit of a pat on the back for how he’s done in the last few weeks when he’s been brought into the team.
He could quite easily have played like FDB but he’s definitely thrown himself into blocks, like today. He did make some errors today but he didn’t let it go to his head he stuck at it. If him playing today gives James more of a breather for the playoffs then he’s contributed.

Of all our squad including loans this season it’s hard to say many that haven’t made a contribution over the season but FDB has let himself down in the 2nd half of the season, Jack Hunt hasn’t been great but maybe injuries are more to blame than we know and I think Bakinson has been very meh.

btw I’m not saying everyone else has been great, I’m just saying there are 3 players that just haven’t stepped up when we needed it.

Edited by Tank_Owl2,0

Seen a lot of furore about the pen on social media from journos but these pens get given every week in the prem. if you put hands on a player with a free shot and they go down they generally give a pen. Red card was given as Bannan kicked off for it. 

try that Oxford pen if you want to see a real stitch up 

• Like 2

Davies gave the ref a decision to make and he made it. 

No matter what all those 'refs' on social media say, if Davies hadn't had fucked up then he wouldn't have had the brain freeze of trying to get the ball back. 

The way Derby were playing at the time and the chances they had in the 2nd half he'd had been better off not doing owt and staying on the pitch. We might not have scored from the open play chance.

1 hour ago, TheExile said:

Seen a lot of furore about the pen on social media from journos but these pens get given every week in the prem. if you put hands on a player with a free shot and they go down they generally give a pen. Red card was given as Bannan kicked off for it. 

try that Oxford pen if you want to see a real stitch up 

Plus about 30,000 voices angrily chanting, "Off, off, off!"  Just as the ref. was thinking about it.  I was just wondering if that would make a difference when it did. 

37 minutes ago, Owling_Wolf said:

Plus about 30,000 voices angrily chanting, "Off, off, off!"  Just as the ref. was thinking about it.  I was just wondering if that would make a difference when it did. 

Yeah I didn’t see the red coming but it looked a stonewall pen in real time as it was a shot on goal otherwise. The ref doesn’t have the benefit of thinking whether it was Johnson’s preferred foot and whether he’d have scored or preferred to try for a pen.

• Like 1

Thought Vaulks and Dawson were outstanding yesterday. If you'd told a neutral that one team needed to win, but not which one, I can't imagine they'd have thought it would have been Derby. We looked back to being very difficult to score against yesterday I thought.

FDB though, for every half alright thing he did, there were 10 dreadful things. Can't remember who said he looks like someone who knows they're going, but they were spot on

54 minutes ago, Otto_Man said:

Thought Vaulks and Dawson were outstanding yesterday. If you'd told a neutral that one team needed to win, but not which one, I can't imagine they'd have thought it would have been Derby. We looked back to being very difficult to score against yesterday I thought.

FDB though, for every half alright thing he did, there were 10 dreadful things. Can't remember who said he looks like someone who knows they're going, but they were spot on

First half for sure 

Certainly in the 2nd half I was getting frustrated that we did not kill the game off, but appreciated the reason. I wasn't at the game but saw that Sheffield had actually had the warmest day in the country this year yesterday at an erm sapping 21.3C 

But I suspect it had an impact 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Tank_Owl2,0 said:

I think Brown needs a bit of a pat on the back for how he’s done in the last few weeks when he’s been brought into the team.
He could quite easily have played like FDB but he’s definitely thrown himself into blocks, like today. He did make some errors today but he didn’t let it go to his head he stuck at it. If him playing today gives James more of a breather for the playoffs then he’s contributed.

Of all our squad including loans this season it’s hard to say many that haven’t made a contribution over the season but FDB has let himself down in the 2nd half of the season, Jack Hunt hasn’t been great but maybe injuries are more to blame than we know and I think Bakinson has been very meh.

btw I’m not saying everyone else has been great, I’m just saying there are 3 players that just haven’t stepped up when we needed it.

What I particularly liked about Brown, as the game wore on he was hassling and grappling with either McGoldrick and/or NML. I watched him for quite some time off the ball, and when it looked like the ball was going to be played into the man he was marking, he was just giving them nudges in the back, grabbing their arms and generally trying to put them off their game rather than sitting back and letting them have it. For a bloke who seems to be very slight of frame, he stood up to the challenge very well against two players who aren't weak when going forward. 

• Like 1

What did people make of Windass cameo yesterday. He seemed sprightly enough, if maybe a bit rusty with his first touch.

Im hoping the rumours I’ve heard about him having injections to play are a bit exaggerated. However it would make sense at this stage of the season.

If he isn’t 100% but can do 20-30mins then I’d keep him on the bench unless we absolutely need him during the semi finals, then hopefully by the time the final comes around (IF we get there) he might be able to do 60-70mins.

38 minutes ago, Otto_Man said:

Anyone got any Derby mates? Their grapes as sour as the ones I'm hearing about? Best team until the sending off, EFL has a crusade against them...that sort of shit. It's fucking hilarious 

sounds familiar 

I was at the game. It was a really odd game from Derby, it was a game they had to win, and at no point did I ever think they would. I thought they might proper get after us, but they didn’t - it was a strange performance from them.

I thought, aside from when McGoldrick got the ball, they were really poor.

I had no qualms on the pen, or the red, it was crap from Davies, crap from Wildsmith, and then crap from Davies.

Second half, until we made the subs, we should have bagged another couple. As soon as we made the changes, we let them back in, but I thought the back three were comfortable.

Was pleased for Smith to get 20, I thought, Vaulks and Palmer played well. I thought that Dele showed better movement but it went wrong when it went into his feet. I thought Iorfa had a good game. Brown was good from about the 20th minute.

Most important was that it felt like we had more to give, we were able to make changes, and we should be in good nick for Friday against a very confident Peterborough team.

• Like 2