Jump to content

Dingles (A) match thread


HoylandOwl

Recommended Posts

I'll stick my neck out and post this up.... 

Head to Head record.

Wednesday wins 37

Dingles wins 23

Draws 17

Last win at Oakwell for us (last time we played there): Two years and one day ago. (on the day of the game)

20/3/21.

Dingles 1, (Morris) Wednesday 2 (Rhodes 2)

The officials for the game, which kicks off at 8pm.

Referee: ROSS JOYCE
Assistants: Daniel Woodward and Robert Atkin
Fourth Official : Ollie Yates

The referee for the game, has this season officiated in 22 games, brandishing 87 yellow cards and 5 reds. Three of those red cards have been shown in his last 6 games. (one of which was Barnsley v Cambridge where he sent off Max Watters of the Dingles).

When was the last time he reffed a Wednesday game? 

Our 1-1 draw at home with Accrington Stanley last season, and he only showed one card. A yellow for Sam Hutchinson.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In terms of remaining fixtures. This is the big one. It’s a statement fixture for both teams. If we win, then I think the gap is too big for Barnsley to snag second. If we lose, then Ipswich and Plymouth will rub their hands. And Barnsley will think they can change the current top 3 down.

Whats interesting is that all of the four teams are bang in form. Ipswich are absolutely rolling over everyone at the minute. Plymouth have a whole host of very winnable games. Barnsley are beating everyone and we are 23 games unbeaten. Ipswich have a tough run in, but they are battering teams at the minute. Lots of shots, dominating possession.

Tomorrow is a game for experienced heads. If the keeper, the back three, Bannan and Vaulks and Smith are all fully at it. It will be a very tough night for Barnsley. We need to get a foothold, keep the ball, and take the crowd out of it. Then turn the screw on them. We cannot try and sit in against them as they are very mobile, so we the midfield three to try and dominate the ball.

If they start fast and we don’t react to it, we could be bang in trouble.

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, KrolMong said:

In terms of remaining fixtures. This is the big one. It’s a statement fixture for both teams. If we win, then I think the gap is too big for Barnsley to snag second. If we lose, then Ipswich and Plymouth will rub their hands. And Barnsley will think they can change the current top 3 down.

Whats interesting is that all of the four teams are bang in form. Ipswich are absolutely rolling over everyone at the minute. Plymouth have a whole host of very winnable games. Barnsley are beating everyone and we are 23 games unbeaten. Ipswich have a tough run in, but they are battering teams at the minute. Lots of shots, dominating possession.

Tomorrow is a game for experienced heads. If the keeper, the back three, Bannan and Vaulks and Smith are all fully at it. It will be a very tough night for Barnsley. We need to get a foothold, keep the ball, and take the crowd out of it. Then turn the screw on them. We cannot try and sit in against them as they are very mobile, so we the midfield three to try and dominate the ball.

If they start fast and we don’t react to it, we could be bang in trouble.

 

As you say they are very mobile and that's our Achilles heal. Having said that we are the most difficult side to beat in the division and let's remember it's bloody Barnsley not Barcelona 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, Owling_Wolf said:

All about us, this one, for me. Can we field a team that looks near enough the side that gave us our amazing unbeaten run with so many clean sheets, or not? 

We've got a steely determination, we've showed it over the past few months especially. Going back to that game at Wycombe, that was when I really took notice of it. 

To coin a Sturrock phrase, we were biting and scratching our way to points at Portsmouth, we didn't cave in at Ipswich despite being put under increasing pressure. Even Friday night, we could have caved in when our attempts to go ahead weren't fruitful and then post the injuries / swapping of personal we didn't falter either. 

I'm with you on tomorrow night Owling, I think it will be a marker of what to expect for the remainder of the season in terms of the feeling around the place.

Win, and we're done and dusted, we go up, and likely as champions IMO. Morale will go through the roof and the belief in the fanbase after Friday night's 'wobble' from some will be a distant memory.  Draw, and we'll go up, but it'll be tight and similar chat from Friday will echo. Lose and it'll be doubt central, with morale taking a hit due to the form the Dingles are in. However, I still think we've got enough in the tank to go up regardless. 

I'm remaining optimistic, it's in our hands. Yes, there are plenty saying 'oh it would be just like Wednesday to throw it away'.... But, we didn't the last time we were in this division, we romped up. Why can't we do that again?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Tylluan said:

If anyone needs a free radio link for the game it's on TalkSport 2. Yes I know it's talkshite but their commentaries are usually ok and at least they're not giving a shout out to someone's granny during the match

I’ll try it with the VPN. Thanks for sharing, Ty

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, Dronowl66 said:

Right someone put me right ...... according to the other forum and on twitter we are almost guaranteed to lose tonight . Seriously whats this all about were 23 unbeaten its Barnsley not Barcelona we have done well without Windass Byers and Bannan in the team at various points this season , genuinely confused , I think we at least draw it but more likely win comfortably 

If some of the quotes on those forums are from genuine owls fans we've got some right fucking yellow bellys in our fan base.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Billysboy said:

If some of the quotes on those forums are from genuine owls fans we've got some right fucking yellow bellys in our fan base.

A lot is simply nervousness, but as someone once said "the biggest fear is fear itself" or some shit like that 

They don't actually realise that the wobbles on the terraces can transmit to wobbles on the pitch 

But being Yorkshire some folk are only happy when they can moan 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

A lot is simply nervousness, but as someone once said "the biggest fear is fear itself" or some shit like that 

They don't actually realise that the wobbles on the terraces can transmit to wobbles on the pitch 

But being Yorkshire some folk are only happy when they can moan 

 

I agree, I'm nervous myself to a degree and of course we can lose, but some just have no faith in the team even after the run we've  been on while making barnslee out to be like the 1970 Brazil side.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

For me, it’s just acceptance that tonight is a tough fixture, against a team that rolled us over earlier this season and who, like us, are in form.

But, I also think that if we are at our best, and they are at there best, we will win.

I also think that we are the only team in the division that can have an off day with the ball and win. If they have an off day with the ball, they will lose.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Dronowl66 said:

Right someone put me right ...... according to the other forum and on twitter we are almost guaranteed to lose tonight . Seriously whats this all about were 23 unbeaten its Barnsley not Barcelona we have done well without Windass Byers and Bannan in the team at various points this season , genuinely confused , I think we at least draw it but more likely win comfortably 

It's the Wednesday 'way' to doubt ourselves it seems. As a fanbase many seem to have an innate ability to cast shade on potential success. OR, get overly giddy and assume that things will go our way (EG Playoffs in 15/16) then when it doesn't all hell breaks loose. 

I wasn't at the home game against the Dingles as I was on holiday, but it's widely acknowledged they were one of, if the only, team that truly deserved to get the points against us this season. But as many point out, we're such a different team now. We have a new found belief, game management beyond compare (IMO), and are rightly top of the table. 

There's nothing wrong with cautious optimism, but conversely it's not all going to hell IF we were to lose tonight. There's far too many points still to play for for that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

A lot is simply nervousness, but as someone once said "the biggest fear is fear itself" or some shit like that 

They don't actually realise that the wobbles on the terraces can transmit to wobbles on the pitch 

But being Yorkshire some folk are only happy when they can moan 

 

Shurrup moaning!    

😋

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, HoylandOwl said:

It's the Wednesday 'way' to doubt ourselves it seems. As a fanbase many seem to have an innate ability to cast shade on potential success. OR, get overly giddy and assume that things will go our way (EG Playoffs in 15/16) then when it doesn't all hell breaks loose. 

I wasn't at the home game against the Dingles as I was on holiday, but it's widely acknowledged they were one of, if the only, team that truly deserved to get the points against us this season. But as many point out, we're such a different team now. We have a new found belief, game management beyond compare (IMO), and are rightly top of the table. 

There's nothing wrong with cautious optimism, but conversely it's not all going to hell IF we were to lose tonight. There's far too many points still to play for for that.

I can assure you some of us did not get over giddy about the playoff final in 2015/16 

Sadly I think the players and management were as guilty as the fans in that regard and failed to focus on winning the fucking game 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have suddenly become very nervous about our prospects and really it is totally unreasonable but I suppose it is the pressure.  

If we had got a hard fought point at a tough away game at Pompey and then beat Bolton then confidence would still be high.  For 30 mins on Friday night we looked very good and I thought we would go on to win 3-0.  Then a lapse of concentration and not doing the good work we have been doing and the world is falling in.  The roller coaster of being a footy fan.

1-1 is a common result in this fixture and if we had beat Bolton would have taken that.   Now getting a bit twitchy so need the 3 points.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It’s more giddiness for me looking forward to being amongst the 4.6k and giving it our all.

With over 49 years under my belt the doubt is always going to be at the back of my mind but let’s do it.

More worried about the walk back into town after no matter what the result 😩😩😩

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

I have suddenly become very nervous about our prospects and really it is totally unreasonable but I suppose it is the pressure. 

No such thing as pressure.

Players simply just need to screw the nut, get stuck in and do their best.

Good luck. Bad luck. It's all part of the game.

Let battle commence...!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, HappyOwl said:

It’s more giddiness for me looking forward to being amongst the 4.6k and giving it our all.

With over 49 years under my belt the doubt is always going to be at the back of my mind but let’s do it.

More worried about the walk back into town after no matter what the result 😩😩😩

Let's do it!!!   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Been speaking to one of my dingle mates who I've known since I was about 2, so, yes, before god was a lad. 

They're very confident going into tonight's game, I've told them that we're a different team to back in September, and we love to shithouse. Apparently they do too, and in his words 'we've got some big lads'. Could be explosive.... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

Was just about to post the same. I don't think he trusts Cadamarteri yet even though he came off the bench and scored yesterday. 

Be interesting to see who goes up top if either forwards legs go. 

FDB on in behind whoever's up there?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Duff has come in with a plan for our midfield three. Press Vaulks and Adeniran, but let Bannan have it and drop off when he does. They really fancy being able to nick it high up the pitch.

Another comment, these are a big big side. I thought we’d be a threat from set pieces but they look matched up for height.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...