Dingles (A) match thread

HoylandOwl

Our left side is causing them issues. Bannan and Johnson are now playing 30 yards out.

I’m being controversial. I’m swapping Adeniran for Dele. And I’m telling Dele to spend the whole half going at Barnsleys left side. I just want him pushing and running for 45 minutes.

This is a game made for him, we need a ball carrier.

• Like 2

First 30 minutes, we were shocking. Absolutely shocking. The performance was just like the home tie against Barnsley this season.

That one moment of quality got us one back from the ball to Smith and the cross to Gregory. Lovely play.

Smith was unlucky that his header was straight at their keeper, could be 2-2.

But it also could be a lot more. Flint had his worst 45 minutes in a Wednesday shirt, Vaulks has been poor. Bannan has been very hit and miss.

Dawson made up for the first goal with a great save from Norwood. I don't blame him for the 2nd, the defence and Vaulks take the blame for that

Unsure if we're lucky to still be in this game. 

Our run had to end eventually.

Think they’ve been very fortunate tonight though. Everything has dropped for them and we’ve had a stonewall penalty turned down. Scoreline has flattered them, and I’d even go so far as to say we didn’t deserve to lose that game.

Still in our hands!

14 minutes ago, Bellsview said:

Been our own worst enemies tonight.

This, you can't continually blow the amount of chances we've created tonight & keep expecting to win, at 2-2, they were well & truly rattled.

Plymouth go top, go 2 points clear but we've got 2 games in hand, that we must win.

Ok the unbeaten run is over. We have lost top spot. It's not been a good few days but its been a tough spell of fixtures.

We did a few things wrong tonight. We did a lot pretty well let's not forget. At 2 down in the past no way back. We got back into it, bit of composure we could have taken the lead 

Unlucky with the 3rd goal.

Possible penalty shout for a handball as well

The lack of striking options off the bench, compared to what they had was a telling difference.

No need to panic. We go again

Better team for the last 70 minutes, but the bad start cost us.  Unbeaten run ended, but possibly no bad thing, at least people will stop talking about it.  I’d have settled for 10 points from the last five games, and that’s what we’ve ended up with.

We’ve now got eight in a row that we should win comfortably on form and paper. All in our own hands.  Dust ourselves down, forget about tonight, and finish the job.

It’s gone wrong in the two boxes today.

First and second were poor goals. Their third was bad luck. Fourth goal was on the break.

We’ve dominated the second half but, missed a stack of chances and they’ve just been miles more clinical than us. And that’s the key, they’ve not played well and scored 4.

Pressure now on, got to put it right on Sunday. It needs a massive reaction.

10/12 from next four required.

Well, for the neutral that will have been some game. 

So frustrated right now, not just because we lost but the manner in which we threw it away early. Yes, we hauled it back to a level playing field but, they shouldn't have got those first two. IT's that simple.

Fair play to the home side, they certainly battle hard, and have a steely determination like we do. But we should have finished them off. Much like when we got ahead last Friday night. The third was fortuitous to say the least, we do the job of defending the cross but its a poxy bounce that lets them in, and it's a solid finish. The fourth. Well, we were trying to level, so fair enough, again it's a good finish. 

The difference in the end was, they could finish, we couldn't. Flint had SO many chances.. Two off the top of my head, that I can think he should have done better with. 

But, it's in our hands. Still. We can still do this and I still expect us to. Onto Sunday.

A massive test on Sunday now of these players characters. I think they will bounce back, but us fans need to believe in them and Moore

But as aside we also need players back. Moore talks about not risking players, volume etc. I get that in October.  I get it in January, but late March the likes of Wilkes need to be out there. Not saved for mid to late April. 

We have a perfect match to bounce back versus Forest Green on Sunday. Shouldn't really be an issue winning that match and then a tie at Cheltenham and home to Lincoln. Should win all 3 given neither side really have the attack Barnsley have. 

2 points behind Plymouth with 2 games in hand still. On paper, the next difficult match is probably Shrewsbury away although our record at Oxford leaves a lot to be desired.

Don't really have any complaints about tonights game. The first 30 minutes we were shocking and deserved to be 2 down, if not more. We showed really good character to get back to draw level but eventually the lack of options on the bench didn't help matters. Barnsley used all their subs wisely, we only had Dele Bashiru to change the game. I do think perhaps once we equalised, we bring Backinson on to steady things even if we were on top. Just needed some fresh legs there given they were bringing them on left right and centre. Duff had the options mind, where we really didn't. 

Flint had his worst game in a Wednesday shirt, which I'm sure he'll hold his hand up on. Even McGuinness had a bad game against Barnsley at Hillsborough so I can't throw the blame game at him. Vaulks wasn't his usual self. 

When we lost last time to Plymouth, we got 6 points in the next 2 games. Pretty confident this side will do that again winning the next 2 away games then beating Lincoln comfortably

The point Tee, their chances fell to strikers and credit they took them well. When ours did then Gregory took them as well.

The others were to defenders and whilst Flint as a good record - though not scored for a year - he is not a striker 

This losing lark is an unpleasant feeling and I hope the players feel it as well.

This weekend is interesting as no teams around us are playing. It means we can focus on simply ourselves not what others are doing or have done 

Just now, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

The one weakness in this side is playing against a high press. Barnsley have found a way and a couple of others have - what surprises me is other sides don't attempt to do the same rather than sit back 

I think teams do. But we usually have Byers in there who will take the ball on the half turn. The amount of times that him and Bannan roll out of trouble shows how good they are. Even Dele is good with a body on him. Vaulks and Adeniran less so as the first touch has to be out of there feet. 

Sometimes it’s how you lose. We’ve gone out swinging tonight. The best team defensively in the division have made some lapses, which is not what we usually see. We’ve missed a stack of chances. Again, not usually what we see. We have dominated from the 30th minute to the 80th, chance after chance created and missed.

in short, we’ve had a pop. If we turn that second 45 out for the rest of season. We’ll not drop a point.

DM: The game was decided on chances. We did incredibly well to get back to 2-2. We are disappointed obviously because it brings our wonderful run to an end but I’ve told the boys I’m proud of them, we dust ourselves down and go again on Sunday #BARSHW

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

There are a lot of moans about us not signing back up strikers in January. Aside from the fact our record is no better than 50 50 on loan signings, we still have potentially 5 options. It's unfortunate that 3 are injured and indeed Patterson got injured when he was defending ! 

The loss of Byers is the most telling 

Byers is a massive loss, you don't actually realise how good he really is until he's out of a game like tonight.

Hopefully Windass isnt out for too long.

Great to see Gregory on the scoresheet again, will do his confidence the world of good, just need to get Smith firing again now.

3 minutes ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

There are a lot of moans about us not signing back up strikers in January. Aside from the fact our record is no better than 50 50 on loan signings, we still have potentially 5 options. It's unfortunate that 3 are injured and indeed Patterson got injured when he was defending ! 

The loss of Byers is the most telling 

This. 

Vaulks is able to do his own job without looking out for others too much, Bannan too to a lesser degree when Byers is in there.

FDB I hoped for so much when he came on but aside from two moments he had little effect on the game. Adeniran, it was a tough one for him to come into, but he isn't Byers. 

Byers has a bit of everything. 

1 minute ago, KrolMong said:

Sometimes it’s how you lose. We’ve gone out swinging tonight. The best team defensively in the division have made some lapses, which is not what we usually see. We’ve missed a stack of chances. Again, not usually what we see. We have dominated from the 30th minute to the 80th, chance after chance created and missed.

in short, we’ve had a pop. If we turn that second 45 out for the rest of season. We’ll not drop a point.

The key for me is we have winnable games. We have to be ruthless - we have risked too many games at 1 up which we could have slipped up on.

Most of the top 4 have similar run ins in terms of quality of opposition. It's going to be a stupid points total, I can see all being plus 90 points