The Lewis Wing / David Stockdale Derby - Match thread

HoylandOwl

1 minute ago, owl4ever1867 said:

I've had my digs at Paterson but I'll hold my hand up & say these last few games that he's started he's undropable tbh, I'm hoping he doesn't go to Scotland, he would be a far bigger miss than I & many other Wednesday fans will admit to.

Only people who don't know football would slate Paterson.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Neville Facking Bartos said:

Not my favourite not going to lie, but can't fault him today. Far better than Smith up there today.

Good resolute performance, not sure if they had a shot on target, maybe one early one

Decent atmosphere in the away end as well 

On and on 

4 minutes ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

Both not really sure what happened 

Byers looked well frustrated 

No, none of us saw what happened to either. Just have a feeling RJ might have been a bad landing, the way he lay on his side in apparent agony. If so, reminiscent of him at Plymouth away. 

5 minutes ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

Both not really sure what happened 

Byers looked well frustrated 

The first one Byers nibbled at Lewis Wing, looked to have caught him on the back of the leg in the process of winning the ball. Then went down. Looked innocuous.

As for James, swung his leg to clear, looked like his follow through hit his shin on their lads boot. That looked worrying, he was proper writhing in pain. 

• Thanks 1

I admit I've been critical of Moore and thought he will not get us automatic. 

But after today I'm starting to believe. I thought we were excellent, not great football but we really dug in and really pleased for the re shuffled defence who were all outstanding as everyone was TBF.

Windass was brilliant and worked his socks off

21 minutes ago, HoylandOwl said:

Byers apparently has cut his foot. No long term injury, he’s spoken to some fans outside the ground apparently 

I’m sure he’ll have to be careful with that but as you say if that’s the case it sounds like less of a concern. He’s been excellent since he came back but I think he’s probably our best midfielder.

I thought we were excellent today. Stood up to them, won the battle in midfield, the back three were outstanding. Iorfa didn’t lose a header all day, Famewo is very quick and did a great job on McCleary and Palmer made some many great tackles. Vaulks was excellent, Hunt and James good.

But to win a game like that, you need your attackers to turn up. Take a bow Josh Windass and Calum Paterson. Windass caused issues all afternoon, they couldn’t stop him playing. And Paterson put it on them, he was physical, he was mobile, he pressured. Both deserved goals today.

Great win, blow about Byers and James. James’ injury looked bad.

• Like 1

On 14/01/2023 at 18:50, Mark said:

I admit I've been critical of Moore and thought he will not get us automatic. 

But after today I'm starting to believe. I thought we were excellent, not great football but we really dug in and really pleased for the re shuffled defence who were all outstanding as everyone was TBF.

Windass was brilliant and worked his socks off

We've got the squad, which he as built well, but now and again his tactics late in games and substitutions can be a worry.

Just got back, here my take on Saturday’s match.

Firstly, I thought the crowd were positive throughout. Heard that recent away games have been a bit quiet: not on Saturday.

Team selection was spot on.  I did wonder about Hunt and James as wingbacks, but caution was justified and both played well, if not spectacular. And a back three of Palmer, Iorfa and Famewo was concerning, but what was the alternative? And Paterson over Gregory? I’d have gone for Gregory, but Paterson had a stormer.

Oops! Press post too early.

The match started all them. Defence was very nervy. I thought this could be a long 90 minutes, but we got into their half, then scored, then never looked like conceding. They had some good possession but we kept them at arms length, such that Dawson hardly had anything to do after the first 5 minutes. The best chances, the only clear chances, fell to us. Great game, perfect away performance against a team in form, great three points.

Injuries didn’t affect our dominance. Both looked serious, but I did wonder if the stretcher came on a bit quicker than needed: another bit of Wycombe gamesmanship? Hopefully Byers won’t be out long. James’ injury did look bad at the time.

MotM between Paterson, Windass and Vaulks. 

26 minutes ago, Skamp said:

Just got back? Fuck me, the traffic must have been horrendous 

Couple of days away with the Mrs.

She’s coming with me next week too and we’ll have a look round the delights of Cheltenham and Gloucester.

One day, she might actually go to a match.

• Haha 1

I’ve seen on the sky news today a couple of comments on Saturday’s game.

Wycombe unhappy about a fan throwing something at a Wednesday player. Can’t say that I saw that. Anyone see the incident?

And something about unsavoury chants. Can’t be from Wycombe fans as I never heard a murmur from them all match. But neither did I hear anything untoward from the Wednesday end. 

8 minutes ago, M42Owl said:

I’ve seen on the sky news today a couple of comments on Saturday’s game.

Wycombe unhappy about a fan throwing something at a Wednesday player. Can’t say that I saw that. Anyone see the incident?

And something about unsavoury chants. Can’t be from Wycombe fans as I never heard a murmur from them all match. But neither did I hear anything untoward from the Wednesday end. 

Something was thrown at Byers.

They also sang something unsavoury as per their own fans forum

16 hours ago, M42Owl said:

She’s coming with me next week too and we’ll have a look round the delights of Cheltenham and Gloucester.

One day, she might actually go to a match.

Has she not got suspicious yet that your romantic mini breaks away mysteriously coincide with where Wednesday are playing ?

Now then Mrs M42 how do you fancy a weekend away in Accrington ?

13 minutes ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

Has she not got suspicious yet that your romantic mini breaks away mysteriously coincide with where Wednesday are playing ?

Why, we've played them.

17 minutes ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

It’s only recently that she’s started tagging along. Perhaps she didn’t believe anyone would really want to watch Wednesday away?

Sunderland last year, oh the joys. Cheltenham and Portsmouth (Brighton for her) to come. She might even fancy Bristol. Next year she might be tempted with Luton and Middlesbrough.

16 hours ago, M42Owl said:

If it's anything like the one I was in a while back, there's not really much to see.

A couple of cash machines, the counter and a few chairs.

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, Reesh said:

Something was thrown at Byers.

They also sang something unsavoury as per their own fans forum

Was this potentially during the long treatment of James, right in front of their fans behind the goal?  Certainly some of their fans were not happy with their fellow fan / fans in that forum that Reesh linked earlier.