The Jim Magilton Derby match thread.... Oxford (H)

Reesh

As I did POTG it cost a full 27 English pounds to get in. Unsurprisingly you end up in the wing seats - still an OK view and can confirm that Smith was about an inch from heading in that Marv cross.

But an observation really, firstly there were not many others in said seats, not a shock really the cold, week before Christmas etc.

And a load then left, fair enough one with young kids at HT I suspect was the cold. An old boy went for his HT coffee on 30 mins, came back after but then left on 55 saying "it's rubbish and ain't going to get better".

The football is so insipid to watch its hardly a surprise, but it has to be a warning for the top rung running the club.

The good news Tee et al, is that I won't be rushing up the M1 for the festive fixtures

6 minutes ago, Chelters said:

For me one of the biggest problems at the moment is Windass. He’s just out of form for whatever reason and nothing he tries is coming off. We also seem to have to force a shape to accommodate him.

I like him as a player but maybe it’s time for a rest. 

More salient was a caller on RS after that said we have a bunch of individuals masquerading as a team. Windass is always a bit like that anyway, but if the rest are playing well as a team that maverick ability can be beneficial. When they are not it looks poor.

I was disappointed really that Byers did not even make the bench. It seems no coincidence that our drop off in form is mirrored by his absence.

I always say (rightly of course) that controlling the midfield is the first stage of any game. Do that you alleviate pressure on your defence and build that foundation for better and sustained attacking play.

Not breaking news on this, but how appallingly poor was Moore's post match interview on RS.

Praise or grumble generally as mumbling, incoherent idiots expressing views on the game, we don't need our manager being the worst culprit !

Embarrassing really and if he is like that at the training pitch no wonder the players perform as they do 

Edited by mkowlthesexynewversion

Bloke behind me said "only thing that will stop this team getting promoted is the manager".

I like DM...a lot, but even I'm having to begrudgingly acknowledge we seem to be crying out for a change. 

His subs are so predictable and his tactics baffling, every week, whichever of Smith and Gregory he hasn't started is chucked on. Yesterday we play a 4-4-2 with wingers and he doesn't start Smith?! Paterson offered nothing and played the full 90 whilst Mighten - an actual right winger - sat on the bench and watched.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

Yes apologies all that I went to the game. Sat in the North for the first time in years and can confirm you a pretty miserable lot in there. 

To be honest there was more atmosphere at Burncross cemetery that I visited before the game than at S6. And better football.

Moore always goes on about the "value" of a full week on the training pitch, but in reality the performances are getting worse as a result of it. This time gives him chance to over think his over thinking. He has reached the maximum level of his abilities as a manager and with this squad.

Do you give a nice man more time. My view is no 

In the same way you did not give more time to a heart on sleeve Megson type.

As others have rightly said, it needs a change at the top, to re-ignite the self belief in this squad that for some unfathomable reason has waned in the past month.

Can you let us know next time, please, so that we can start a chant?  'MK go home!' (Or words to that effect.)    

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Neville Facking Bartos said:

Positives - Dawson, Johnson, Gregory

Negatives - Windass, Bakinson, Dele-Bashiru

Rest were distinctly average

Windass doesn’t look like a footballer at minute, thick as fuck. The midfield 2 I’ve mentioned, seriously fucking lazy. 

Thank fuck for poppadum wrists 

Add Vaulks to the negatives. No urgency whatsoever.  Plays like it doesn't really matter and deserved getting the hook. (Though not as bad as the awful Bakinson.)  

• Like 1

Thing is can anyone see DC pulling the trigger and to a degree I can understand why. Whereas MM I could see might be more inclined if he thought promotion was looking unlikely, but even now we are only a win away from the autos.

in his (DMs) defence. We have statistically improved, even from the first day he arrived (albeit in a lower division), generally the squad is probably better (which I think he’s had a big hand in), I think we are harder to beat and finally something that successive managers have had to deal with - the injuries have been ridiculous, even if it has been slightly better this season compared to last.

He needs to change something and find a way to get the best out of this squad or DC needs to get rid at Christmas if we’re not top 2 (and not top 2 with others having the potential to replace us with games in hand).

1 hour ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

Not breaking news on this, but how appallingly poor was Moore's post match interview on RS.

Praise or grumble generally as mumbling, incoherent idiots expressing views on the game, we don't need our manager being the worst culprit !

Embarrassing really and if he is like that at the training pitch no wonder the players perform as they do 

Tbh MK I don’t think that interview was any worse or better than any other of his interviews. 
As you say it would be interesting to know what he does on the training ground or do the other coaches do more of the talking. I can’t say I can recall what the others come across like, but I agree with comments you and others have made, the more time they have between games the more turgid they seem which as per your comment (which sums it up nicely) they over think things. Football is in essence a simple game, it’s only the top professionals that can apply lots of intricate tactics. 
Im not particularly calling for it but it was noticeable how effective the team was in the last 15mins at Exeter when we went more direct and the squad has the players to do it, so why not try that when plan A isn’t working.

Edited by Tank_Owl2,0

1 minute ago, Tank_Owl2,0 said:

Tbh MK I don’t think that interview was any worse or better than any other of his interviews. 
As you say it would be interesting to know what he does on the training ground or do the other coaches do more of the talking. I can say I can recall what the others come across like, but I agree with comments you and others have made, the more time they have between games the more turgid they seem which as per your comment (which sums it up nicely) they over think things. Football is in essence a simple game, it’s only the top professionals that can apply lots of intricate tactics. 
Im not particularly calling for it but it was noticeable how effective the team was in the last 15mins at Exeter when we went more direct and the squad has the players to do it, so why not try that when plan A isn’t working.

Early in the game I wished we would scrap our 'passing it about aimlessly at the back'  tactic in favour of Oxford's (then) excellent version: about 4 passes, then a telling, long ball to feet or into space to turn us around and launch an attack. It was quite impressive, apart from finding touch a couple of times. 

To be fair to him, Dawson ditched most of the 'playing it out' shit yesterday.  The trouble with that was that the ref. just allowed assaults on Gregory and Paterson as the ball came to them. High 'tackles' are even a foul at rugby nowadays, never mind when they're delivered by a forearm to the neck or head!  

5 minutes ago, Owling_Wolf said:

Early in the game I wished we would scrap our 'passing it about aimlessly at the back'  tactic in favour of Oxford's (then) excellent version: about 4 passes, then a telling, long ball to feet or into space to turn us around and launch an attack. It was quite impressive, apart from finding touch a couple of times. 

To be fair to him, Dawson ditched most of the 'playing it out' shit yesterday.  The trouble with that was that the ref. just allowed assaults on Gregory and Paterson as the ball came to them. High 'tackles' are even a foul at rugby nowadays, never mind when they're delivered by a forearm to the neck or head!  

You need pace to be able play the balls Oxford used as an out ball and we didn't set up with any, thanks again Darren, you boring brummie ****.

1 hour ago, Otto_Man said:

Bloke behind me said "only thing that will stop this team getting promoted is the manager".

I like DM...a lot, but even I'm having to begrudgingly acknowledge we seem to be crying out for a change. 

His subs are so predictable and his tactics baffling, every week, whichever of Smith and Gregory he hasn't started is chucked on. Yesterday we play a 4-4-2 with wingers and he doesn't start Smith?! Paterson offered nothing and played the full 90 whilst Mighten - an actual right winger - sat on the bench and watched.

There were plenty on the Kop saying similar, or just simple ‘I’ve had enough of his shit football, get rid’

There seems to be more dissenting voices with every week. 

Re Windass, I agree with others that I’d rest him. On his day he’s such an impactful player but hasn’t been for quite a while now. So much as yesterday, I thought he was anonymous. That free kick he smashed into the wall summed him up. 

1 hour ago, Owling_Wolf said:

Can you let us know next time, please, so that we can start a chant?  'MK go home!' (Or words to that effect.)    

See I could be the catalyst, like the ref, to get the crowd atmosphere going 

Sit there refusing to leave, some vigorous pointing at you all, pretending to leave then popping up elsewhere

Can't win, if I stay at home I will get a lot more abuse from Mrs MK

2 minutes ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

See I could be the catalyst, like the ref, to get the crowd atmosphere going 

Sit there refusing to leave, some vigorous pointing at you all, pretending to leave then popping up elsewhere

Can't win, if I stay at home I will get a lot more abuse from Mrs MK

next time you decide to come up to a game let me know before 2.50 and then I can hunt you down…. And stop you getting in the ground 🤣

3 hours ago, Owling_Wolf said:

Add Vaulks to the negatives. No urgency whatsoever.  Plays like it doesn't really matter and deserved getting the hook. (Though not as bad as the awful Bakinson.)  

Vauks was poor yesterday but to say he plays like it doesn't matter is nonsense 

Just seen Moore's postmatch and if he really is spouting that positive psychobabble nonsense in the dressing room about another clean sheet and resilience then he's got to have lost at least half that dressing room. Either that or they're laughing it off as an easy ride because they know he's not a boot thrower. 

Compare it with that Moment of Truth podcast from last season and Robinson would probably have been ripping Oxford a new one for not taking advantage of our ineffectiveness. 

After sleeping on the result, few things as well

Paterson and Windass, what was their purpose in the side? I ask because formation wise, I had absolutely no idea where they were supposed to fit, what was our tactic? Yesterday was the perfect opportunity to play 3-5-2 with Windass in the attack midfield role but he definitely was not in that position. Paterson I can only imagine he was positioned on the right somewhere but no idea where. Was he a right winger, right side striker, right midfield? Completely wasted anyway and no wonder he'll be looking forward to going (if he does go back to Hearts)

I see Bakinson has had a few critics on here, which is understandable given he had to do two jobs (given how awful Will Vaulks was). He was the only one in the first half wanting to push the ball forward (and almost made 3 or 4 lovely forward passes to Paterson/Windass respectively). Second half, he did a lot of chasing back and winning the ball from Oxfords players (only one that was doing that). He was easily the best midfielder in the team and that's not a glowing reflection on how shocking the other midfielders was.

Dele Bashiru and Johnson need to go to a proper passing school and leave the Mendez-Laing school. I lost count of the amount of times both of them either overhit the pass when we were in a good position or they passed the ball behind the player. Almost cost us a goal had Oxford remembered to bring their finishing boots 

The free kicks around the half way line. I think every single time we had one, instead of playing the ball forward, it was passed back to a defender. Oxford played them forward a lot but we just passed it backwards only to lose it straight away when the ball went forward. Slows the game down completely and gets the fans annoyed. 

We did show some flashes during the game and had a few good chances. Smith was very unlucky not to get on to Johnsons cross and Johnson was unlucky with a couple of chances in the first half. I don't understand mind why Gregory or Paterson/Windass didn't take the strike on when the ball went across goal before Johnson decided to take the strike when he was in a tougher position to score than the others. However, overall it was a dreadful performance and we were very fortunate to get a 0-0

I think our original formation was 4-2-3-1 but no fucker knew how to play it. 

Windass stepped too far out so it became 4-2-2-1-1. Paterson and Johnson didn't know whether to go wide to support or play narrow to cover the Windass gap so, at various times, they did one, or the other, or both, or neither and none of it worked. All this left their two centre halves playing to me to you with an isolated Gregory and Vaulks and Bakinson scratching their heads over who to play it to. 

It was as if they'd practiced something all week then Moore's got the flip chart out over Saturday lunch and thrown a different formation into the mix with lots of different coloured arrows criss crossing all over the place. 

Edited by Tylluan
  • Like 1

On 16/12/2022 at 13:16, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

Played for both - come on Reesh this is usually your forte.

Jim Magilton

San Winnall

Jordan Thorniley

Mide Shodipo

World Cup Finalist Emiliano Martinez

Gary Shelton

Dean Windass

Nigel Jemson

Chris Maguire

Garry Monk

Imre Varadi

Robbie Mustoe

Darren Purse

Guy Whittingham

Jordan Rhodes

On 16/12/2022 at 14:00, Reesh said:

Marvin Johnson 

Paddy Collins

Chey Dunkley 

David Grant

Steve MacLean

Paul McLaren

Michael Williams

Apologies - a bit late with this one, but you can add Sean Clare to the list.

1 hour ago, The Internet said:

It has that same feel about it as that time when the players didn't get paid.

If they are getting paid, I don't know how the players and Moore can look themselves in the mirror after that. Shameful performance.

It's not THAT bad. But as you are 'The Internet' I'm sure you'll have the answer 🙂

• Like 1