The Wanderers of Bolton match thread

Stats say we had 21 attempts, only 5 on target

Wonder how many Gregory or Berahino had of those? Oh that's right, nothing because they were doing all the work to get players into the position required

Perhaps had Berahino started, the scoreline may have been different. Criminal we're only playing 1 striker at the start

In the end, a points better than nothing but that was thrown away yet again because of the usual nonsense of defending a set piece. We were lucky not to have conceded 2 from set pieces given their free headers they had.

2 minutes ago, Kiwi Owl said:

Stats say we had 21 attempts, only 5 on target

Wonder how many Gregory or Berahino had of those? Oh that's right, nothing because they were doing all the work to get players into the position required

Perhaps had Berahino started, the scoreline may have been different. Criminal we're only playing 1 striker at the start

In the end, a points better than nothing but that was thrown away yet again because of the usual nonsense of defending a set piece. We were lucky not to have conceded 2 from set pieces given their free headers they had.

I can't disagree with that, NML works hard enough but his first touch is often missing, and his composure isn't there. 

However, that's what you're getting when you're shopping in the reduced section at Aldi.

The responsibility for conceding so many goals from set pieces has to be down the manager and the coaching staff.Particularly sickening is that the manager was a central defender himself so has the experience to spot and correct  this. Why was Berahino, who was in great scoring form, suddenly sidelined from the starting eleven. If we do get promotion, Moore has to go. It will be in spite of him and certainly not because of him. He is bang average at this level, surely someone can get the best out of this squad.

4 minutes ago, bricat said:

The responsibility for conceding so many goals from set pieces has to be down the manager and the coaching staff.Particularly sickening is that the manager was a central defender himself so has the experience to spot and correct  this. Why was Berahino, who was in great scoring form, suddenly sidelined from the starting eleven. If we do get promotion, Moore has to go. It will be in spite of him and certainly not because of him. He is bang average at this level, surely someone can get the best out of this squad.

He's tinkered with the team all season, has admitted this week he'll continue to do so in the run in too. 

I like NML but he needs to be picking the ball up facing the goal and running with it. Playing him as a striker doesn't work for me. For me Gregory is our number 1 striker, it's then Berahino, then Pato (who also provides the additional heading power in defence), then NML so as we've had all season DM making baffling team selections 

Tbf DM is having a pop at them for the defending at set pieces. However its not so much we conceded, but the fact there was a couple of other great opportunities for them as well. 

We were a tad lucky with our goal as there was enough going on for it to be disallowed. The irony is we look dangerous attacking set pieces as we are at conceding

3 minutes ago, Owling_Wolf said:

That goal should have been irrelevant well before the end. We missed 2 or 3 HUGE chances, perhaps two by Baz that only needed stroking on target.  How utterly fooking predictable today that was.  Shot ourselves right in the foot. The only thing I wanted us to miss!   🤬

It’s same Owd strory with us. You know what’s coming 

I'm not Moores biggest fan, but can't blame him for today. How many chances did we have to win that and can't tell me he doesn't work on our defence at set pieces. Play like we did today and we'll be fine, we've played a lot worse and won

View from the boozer before 👍

Plus side daughter has loved it and can’t wait for MK Dons next week.

Gutted with the 89th minute equaliser but good day out and still in with a shout

Rotherham lost 😂😂😂

there are some proper nobs following us as well but I suppose it’s part of every club 😩😩

0279D8B4-368E-4B0F-B357-687DF60B3762.jpeg

20 minutes ago, HappyOwl said:

Big shout out to Jack Hunt today he proper booted kachunga in the corner 😂😂😂 and bannan for not shaking hands with him and shoving him away at the end 🙌😂😂

That little bit in the corner where he and Hunt got booked wound me up. Kachunga showed more fight in that 5/10 second handbags than he didn’t in the entire season for us last year.  

cheers Gary 

Edited by Wawaw
Sausage fingers

21 minutes ago, Owling_Wolf said:

We were sat / stood around two small tables really near the back door to the car park. 6 blokes & 2 young women. 

Missed you then we were hidden round the corner from you good job as the 16year olds were drinking far too much with a substantial meal 😂😂😂

2 hours ago, Owling_Wolf said:

We used to do official meet-ups once in a while before home games.  I first met lots of posters / former posters that way.  I think it became more informal & regular. 

Yeah had some good meet ups but losing pubs and the split of the site did for it. 

Anyone else get the Bolton FM commentary on the stream yesterday. Clearly I shouldn't grumble - but it was also about 4 minutes behind the game.

I take full responsibility for Bolton's equaliser as I switched over to Soccer Saturday on 88 minutes to jump ahead to the near full time whistle. 

First score I saw come up their equaliser FFS 

20 minutes ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

Anyone else get the Bolton FM commentary on the stream yesterday. Clearly I shouldn't grumble - but it was also about 4 minutes behind the game.

I take full responsibility for Bolton's equaliser as I switched over to Soccer Saturday on 88 minutes to jump ahead to the near full time whistle. 

First score I saw come up their equaliser FFS 

Yep that sounds like the kind of thing that can to cause a last minute equaliser 😂  

Thats why I don't even think about looking at the scores these days until 5 past.

On 09/04/2022 at 21:34, Owling_Wolf said:

We used to do official meet-ups once in a while before home games.  I first met lots of posters / former posters that way.  I think it became more informal & regular. 

I was thinking about this the other day.

If Wednesday finally pull their fingers out and sort out my season tickets for next season, i might gauge interest 

Can't totally agree MPB. Although having said that I can see your point. I definitely don't think he's the man long term, but he's done OK, I admit I'd have got rid after Shrews game but he's turned it around. 

Obviously our finances have had an impact on who we brought in but I think his personality has attracted players we might not have got, although long term we may need a but more of a bastard in charge. My big gripe is I'd like to see him bring in a better striker to Partner Gregory. That for me would have pushed us lot further up table. Easy said than done though.... 

26 minutes ago, MPB said:

NML isn't a striker....never has been....he's a wide player with the nouse to cut in just behind your strikers and he was in fine form.....Berahino finally finds where the net is and DM fuckin drops him....

Yes it's an odd with Berahino. Obviously we don't see him during week, looked excellent v Cambridge and before that in spells. He's been annoynomus when he has come on as sub. Limited time admittedly 

10 minutes ago, Canterburyowl said:

Just playing devils advocate but maybe the reason DM didnt feel the need to bring another striker in was because no one could predict that Windass would be crocked for so bloody long

Absolutely. Although he should know that if you get a bad hamstring injury there is a VERY good chance it will happen again unless fully recovered. He may have rushed him back because he knows how valuable he is to us, if he had a better alternative, might not have felt pressure to do that. Easy saying that just sat here mind😂

Tbh we don't know if DM tried and failed to get a striker in 

The thing that got me Saturday was something just seemed missing for a club wanting to be in the play offs. Its not a lack of effort, far from it, just deep down lack of passion to get the win. Well I am perhaps not finding the right words here, as its not they don't give a shit but did they give maximum shit they could have 

57 minutes ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

The thing that got me Saturday was something just seemed missing for a club wanting to be in the play offs. Its not a lack of effort, far from it, just deep down lack of passion to get the win. Well I am perhaps not finding the right words here, as its not they don't give a shit but did they give maximum shit they could have 

Very true re striker. 

Tbf though if we had taken our chances we would have run out easy winner's and there wouldn't have been a debate. My biggest worry is Moore will mess about with it when it comes to the crunch. In fact I'm sure he will 

2 hours ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

I wonder if at times we found it too easy on Saturday.   First 15 / 20 minutes we had so much of the ball and think we thought it was a matter of time before we score 3 or 4 at will.  We never got out of that mind set to have the aggression and go on and do what we had threatened. 

Also Bolton were not a huge threat and increasingly as the game went on looked as there was no way they would score. 

Annoying thing other that not taking chances was the little skirmish in the corner with Kachunga suddenly seemed to get there crowd going and give a bit of impetus in what was a dead game for them.