The Wanderers of Bolton match thread

The thing is he didn’t randomly drop Berahino. He started him the following game after his Cambridge hat trick, but he was ineffective.

He’s not started any of the four games since then, although he was unavailable through international duty for one of them, and just back from that for another.

I don’t think it’s fair to say NML was flying in his other position either. He’s not played there since returning from injury, and you wouldn’t drop Hunt for him right now would you?

I think Moore is far from perfect but the only real tinkering he’s doing at the moment is trying to find the elusive correct partner for Gregory up front.

2 hours ago, cheat said:

The thing is he didn’t randomly drop Berahino. He started him the following game after his Cambridge hat trick, but he was ineffective.

I've just watched back the extended highlights of the Accrington game and looked at Berahino's heat signature and, compared to Paterson, he has a very good first half. His movement is better. His shots on and off target is better (their goalie saves one at point blank) His game influence is better (that outside drift to pick up the ball, beats the full back then floats an absolute peach onto Bannan's head. Then being strong and laying off the ball for the Paterson shot) 

He looks like a player who's just scored 4 goals in 2 games. He's playing with confidence. He's dropping off and finding so much space to come in late. Then he gets pulled on 59 minutes. I get we had to get Gregory on the pitch (why he didn't start I'll never know) I appreciate that Paterson scored after being kept on but who's to say Saido wouldn't have done the same. Gregory and Berahino looked like they had an understanding against Cambridge and I'm extremely conscious that in the past I've said that partnership wouldn't work but I'll also admit I got it wrong because of the way the team played around them. Then the team have to adapt to a new front pair and Paterson isn't Gregory in the same way Berahino isn't Paterson. 

Maybe Berahino took a knock and needed to come off. Maybe his bra strap started showing red on someone's laptop and he was dragged for that. But it couldn't have been because he was the worse of the two front players... Could it?

5 hours ago, cheat said:

He’s not started any of the four games since then, although he was unavailable through international duty for one of them, and just back from that for another.

I don’t think it’s fair to say NML was flying in his other position either. He’s not played there since returning from injury, and you wouldn’t drop Hunt for him right now would you?

I think Moore is far from perfect but the only real tinkering he’s doing at the moment is trying to find the elusive correct partner for Gregory up front.

I don't think I can agree with that. Berahino may not have scored a hatrick but Accrington were making hard for us. Gregory doesn't score every game so why should Berahino and if he's creating space or providing for other he doesn't need to. Jus wish he'd give them a run without changing. In the same way Byers, Luongo and Bannan are left alone even if one of them isn't quite at it.

25 minutes ago, Tank_Owl2,0 said:

I don't think I can agree with that. Berahino may not have scored a hatrick but Accrington were making hard for us. Gregory doesn't score every game so why should Berahino and if he's creating space or providing for other he doesn't need to. Jus wish he'd give them a run without changing. In the same way Byers, Luongo and Bannan are left alone even if one of them isn't quite at it.

Don’t get me wrong, I wasn’t expecting a hat trick every game, I just didn’t think he’d done much that game.

And if we’re being honest haven’t his good games for us been restricted to the second half v Donny and the Cambridge game?

I also don’t think that NML is the answer up top by the way; just that I’m not sure Berahino is either. Although I do think that I’d be trying him for the next game or two.