Taming of the Shrews.....match thread.

Reesh

3 points is 3 points

But that 2nd half was quite frankly, awful!!!!

Completely lost composure, couldn't pass to a team mate, questionable substitutions as well. Apart from the Bannan chance, I don't think we created anything at all second half.

Why Iorfa was completely isolated on the right side baffles me. James and Mighten were working well on the left side but we had Iorfa and no-one on the right. They were taking advantage of this when we went into panic stations mode

We were lucky their best chances fell to defenders 

Edited by Kiwi Owl

6 minutes ago, Kiwi Owl said:

3 points is 3 points

But that 2nd half was quite frankly, awful!!!!

Completely lost composure, couldn't pass to a team mate, questionable substitutions as well. Apart from the Bannan chance, I don't think we created anything at all second half.

Why Iorfa was completely isolated on the right side baffles me. James and Mighten were working well on the left side but we had Iorfa and no-one on the right. They were taking advantage of this when we went into panic stations mode

We were lucky their best chances fell to defenders 

You can't have Bannan, Dele-Bashiru and Bakinson in the same side, we looked totally unbalanced, there was zero outlet on that right hand side, tbf I thought Iorfa did well all things considered but we look disjointed when we go to a flat back 4.

A mention goes out for McGuinness, what a signing hes been, superb player and 1 I'd love at S6 full time

8 minutes ago, Winco said:

Got lairy towards end that proper pushed our luck.

Should’ve been out off site by half time.

What the fuck our formation was through out that match who fucking knows. Looked very lop sided.

I think it was supposed to be a 4-3-3, with Windass and that pretend footballer from Forest either side of Smith

Well that’s one boil on our arse that we’ve finally lanced, though we made bloody hard work of it.

Our best midfield three is Vaulks, Bannan and Byers.  I’ve seen nothing today to change that opinion.

McGuinness motm.  It was that kind of day. We would not have won that game last season.  We have more grit now.  It’s slightly disappointing that we ended up relying on it, but fuck it, it’s another three points.

2 hours ago, Otto_Man said:

I think it was supposed to be a 4-3-3, with Windass and that pretend footballer from Forest either side of Smith

The problem was Windass played too narrow, compared to Mighten. Iorfa either had to cover a lot of ground to make the width or Smith ended up going wide and just leaving Windass in the middle. 

The 3 up top just didn't work today and we would have had more about us if Vaulks had come on at the same time as Gregory and we'd gone with a wide 4-4-2 to overload their back 3 and turn their middle 4 round

4 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

The problem was Windass played too narrow, compared to Mighten. Iorfa either had to cover a lot of ground to make the width or Smith ended up going wide and just leaving Windass in the middle. 

The 3 up top just didn't work today and we would have had more about us if Vaulks had come on at the same time as Gregory and we'd gone with a wide 4-4-2 to overload their back 3 and turn their middle 4 round

Agreed.  That last 15 mins scared the life out of me.  We got very lucky: all three of those late headers looked like they were going in the bottom corner of the net from where we were sat!  Maybe it's luck we needed to beat our bogey side but we were dreadful for much of the second half: absolutely stupid when we won the ball back under no pressure and then just booted it back to them.  Shocking stupidity!

BTW, Smith ran his blood to water today and got very little support for long periods.  Good to see the effort but that's not what we got him for, I'm sure.

2 hours ago, Otto_Man said:

Champions win games like that.

Ref was toss, so was FDB, still don't see what Mighten offers.

Bannan and Dunkley two best players on the park

Fizz looked like he was in dreamland throughout.  Bakinson too, at times.  I'd add James to the best players list today: very tidy.

Also: a pleasure (once we'd won!) to have a chance at the end to applaud and receive the same from Chey Dunkley.  Proper bloke.  I wish some of our much more skilled players had got some of his character. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tylluan said:

It was crying out for a change from about 50 mins in and he just sits in his hands 

It still got sloppy late on. Yeah we got the points the clean sheet again, but it’s that lack of discipline to kill games like this off.

ive said before are we a formidable team at this level? I know teams wanna play against us, raise there game but honestly I thought we got away with it second half.

felt like a draw, mind I’ve been a Mardy  twat all day.

My only concern right now is not closing things out. When we’re on top, we can’t finish our dinner. 
We seem to have an annoying habit of just doing enough. As MK said, a convincing win will all but stop the murmurings and we’ve threatened it enough. But we have to work the opposition keepers more. 

46 minutes ago, HoylandOwl said:

My only concern right now is not closing things out. When we’re on top, we can’t finish our dinner. 
We seem to have an annoying habit of just doing enough. As MK said, a convincing win will all but stop the murmurings and we’ve threatened it enough. But we have to work the opposition keepers more. 

Speaking of keepers, how fecking annoying was their's in the first half?  

Fantastic goal, btw. A tremendous corner by Bannan 😯 and WHAT a leap by McGuinness!   😳

16 minutes ago, owl71 said:

Mighten, Iorfa and Wilkes all in the same train as me, according to one of the London Owls.   Also kept bumping into Mark Bright all day long.  Must’ve been doing the summaries for someone.

Isn't he from the Midlands so may be seeing family 

11 hours ago, Owling_Wolf said:

Speaking of keepers, how fecking annoying was their's in the first half?  

Fantastic goal, btw. A tremendous corner by Bannan 😯 and WHAT a leap by McGuinness!   😳

Cracking save from Bannan second half mind, were we linked with him over the summer? Someone behind us said we were

If I had a gripe, its actually with the strikers. I was thinking on paper we’d have one of them get 20-30 this season. I’ll revise that to suggest that I’ll be shocked if any of them break 15. Is that an issue? Not necessarily if we spread the goals across all of them and we end up with Windass, Smith and Gregory all getting between 10 and 15, and one of the midfielders doing similar.

All of the forwards are doing a lot of donkey work without really looking threatening. Windass in particular is getting chances and missing them. There’s time for one of them to click still.

36 minutes ago, KrolMong said:

If I had a gripe, its actually with the strikers. I was thinking on paper we’d have one of them get 20-30 this season. I’ll revise that to suggest that I’ll be shocked if any of them break 15. Is that an issue? Not necessarily if we spread the goals across all of them and we end up with Windass, Smith and Gregory all getting between 10 and 15, and one of the midfielders doing similar.

All of the forwards are doing a lot of donkey work without really looking threatening. Windass in particular is getting chances and missing them. There’s time for one of them to click still.

This.

Said this since the start of the season. We are not setting up to our forwards strengths. 

Smith had another forward buzzing around him and Miller and Ogbene providing a plentiful supply. 

Gregory operates in a similar fashion. Wilks is best on the right side of a front 3 and Windass is better as a floating 10.

We've got a strike force that we're not making the most of because we're trying to accommodate them and also Bannan and also play through the phases. It just doesn't work. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

Said this since the start of the season. We are not setting up to our forwards strengths. 

Smith had another forward buzzing around him and Miller and Ogbene providing a plentiful supply. 

Gregory operates in a similar fashion. Wilks is best on the right side of a front 3 and Windass is better as a floating 10.

We've got a strike force that we're not making the most of because we're trying to accommodate them and also Bannan and also play through the phases. It just doesn't work. 

Trying to shoehorn Mighten in is definitely not working. Certainly not against a deep defence like yesterday. Just holds things up further.

14 minutes ago, JBO said:

41 points after 20 and top home scorers but yeah it doesn't work. 

We were second in the home goals scored last season and where did that get us. 

This season we've scored 12 away from home, compared to Ipswich's 22 and Plymouth's 20. Bristol Rovers, Exeter, and Burton have all scored more away goals than us. 

In the league leading scorers list our first player appears at number 30. 

As has been said on numerous occasions, including yesterday, we aren't putting teams to bed when we have a chance and it could have hurt us yesterday. 

We've brought in a forward who was in double figures at the same time last season and he's currently sat on 4. Even Gregory was 3 goals better off last season at this stage. 

I'll say it again. We are not playing to our forwards strengths 

• Like 2