30 years ago - season 1992/93

cheat

The season kicked off next week 30 years ago, so it’s time for the update on the pre season comings and goings.

And, there was surprisingly very little activity.

Leaving Hillsborough was 21 year old striker David Johnson, who had surprisingly had a short run in the first team in the previous season. His five starts plus one substitute appearances had failed to produce any goals. His destination was Lincoln City for a tribunal decided £32,000.

The only other departure was Darren Wood who was released in June, having made just 14 appearances in his three and a half years with Wednesday after joining from Chelsea for £400,000. Beset by back problems during his stay at S6 he was unable to find another club, and ended up retiring.

Inbound there was just one body through the door, but what an arrival. Chris Waddle was signed from Olympic Marseille for £1m following his successful three year spell in the south of France, which saw him win three league championships, and a European Cup runners up medal. After having started his career at Newcastle the tricky winger earnt a big money move to Tottenham where his form saw him win the first of his 52 England caps. After four seasons at White Hart Lane he left for Marseille for what was a record fee of £4.25m for a British player. Although aged 31 by the time he joined Wednesday he had plenty of suitors and Trevor Francis’ early interest in signing him was quoted as being one of the reasons that he decided to chose us.

Edited by cheat

8 minutes ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

I was trying to remember my thoughts when Waddle signed. Daft in that I don't think I was raving about it, not that I wasn't impressed but a fear he was past his best especially if he was coming to us. Pleased to say I got that totally wrong. 

That was me exactly   underwhelmed and a bit meh and even after the first game away at Everton and for the following few games he wasn't great but he soon got the fans on his side. Absolute legend at Wednesday that we'll probably never see the like again. 

10 hours ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

I was trying to remember my thoughts when Waddle signed. Daft in that I don't think I was raving about it, not that I wasn't impressed but a fear he was past his best especially if he was coming to us. Pleased to say I got that totally wrong. 

Groucho would have endorsed that sentiment.  😁

I was absolutely bouncing when we signed Waddle, not only did I like him when he’d been at Spurs but I’d been watching Marseille for a couple of years via Eurosport highlights, European cup games and stuff recorded from on sky on VHS by a mate. 

The thought of him supplying the ammo for Hirsty just had the 17 year old me beaming. (F**k off before you start you ****s) 

What a player, what a time to watch Wednesday the few years the either side (and including) this season it was. I’m beaming even thinking about it!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HoylandOwl said:

I was absolutely bouncing when we signed Waddle, not only did I like him when he’d been at Spurs but I’d been watching Marseille for a couple of years via Eurosport highlights, European cup games and stuff recorded from on sky on VHS by a mate. 

The thought of him supplying the ammo for Hirsty just had the 17 year old me beaming. (F**k off before you start you ****s) 

What a player, what a time to watch Wednesday the few years the either side (and including) this season it was. I’m beaming even thinking about it!

I think that explains part of it, playing for Marseille he was out of sight somewhat, its hard for the younger generation to appreciate that such games, even the European Cup was not on tap as it is now. Was he out the England squad at this stage ? 

Ironically this thread now catches up to when I got my first ever Sky dish in anticipation of the Premier League starting 

So yep I am one of the ***** that basically helped mess up football - sure the first subs were £7.99 per month 

I remember the dish etc cost about £350 

14 hours ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

I think that explains part of it, playing for Marseille he was out of sight somewhat, its hard for the younger generation to appreciate that such games, even the European Cup was not on tap as it is now. Was he out the England squad at this stage ? 

Ironically this thread now catches up to when I got my first ever Sky dish in anticipation of the Premier League starting 

So yep I am one of the ***** that basically helped mess up football - sure the first subs were £7.99 per month 

I remember the dish etc cost about £350 

Booo!!!   🤬

😉

6 hours ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

Like I say it wasn't a signing I was disappointed by, just whether he was past his use by date. I was wrong thankfully, but let's be honest we have had plenty since that used us a retirement home 

The Booo! was for the part about ruining football.  

The season started with a trip to Everton, and all looked good to start with. Waddle set up an early chance for Palmer that was cleared off the line by future Owl Hinchcliffe; and then on 15 minutes Southall spilled a corner and Pearson hooked home to put Wednesday in the lead. Things started to unravel on 38 minutes though when Waddle was forced off with a knee ligaments injury. On the stroke of half time the hosts equalised with another future Wednesday player, Horne, getting the goal.

The home side threatened more than us after the break, but there was no more scoring and the game ended in a 1-1 draw.

Woods, Nilsson, King, Palmer, Pearson, Warhurst, Waddle (Bart-Williams), Hyde, Hirst (Watson), Williams, Worthington. Unused sub, Pressman.

Edited by cheat
  • Like 1

Bizarrely I seem to remember coming away from Goodson disappointed that we hadn’t won, even though Everton had been on top in the 2nd half. Probably because of expectations and going in front, even though Everton had been a bit of a bogey team over the recent preceding years.

Still got my black and yellow away shirt.

10 minutes ago, Tank_Owl2,0 said:

Bizarrely I seem to remember coming away from Goodson disappointed that we hadn’t won, even though Everton had been on top in the 2nd half. Probably because of expectations and going in front, even though Everton had been a bit of a bogey team over the recent preceding years.

Still got my black and yellow away shirt.

Which one, cos it was the Umbro Yellow and Black we wore in this season, the black and yellow was Puma

5 hours ago, Reesh said:

Which one, cos it was the Umbro Yellow and Black we wore in this season, the black and yellow was Puma

Umbro. Bizarre things I don’t remember how I got it. Someone must have bought it me bc I definitely wouldn’t have bought it at that time. You still see the odd one or two being worn, in fact I saw someone wearing one this weekend.

I haven’t got the Puma  one (bc I wouldn’t buy it!) but I like that one as well. Weren’t we wearing that one at Goodison when Palmer scored that header from way out?

19 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

I've got original Umbro yellow/black and Puma King black/yellow. 

Used to collect away shirts a while back

I actually realise I have the black and yellow one in original and replica, the yellow and black original got robbed off my washing line back in the day. Scruffy ****.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Owling_Wolf said:

Could have been worse. Before that they just painted blue stripes on the players with woad.  😕

Yeah, he already knows that.

The first shirt he got was when he was playing in the over 35's.

Sorry, just wanted to get in on the slagging banter 😄

1 minute ago, MAL said:

Yeah, he already knows that.

The first shirt he got was when he was playing in the over 35's.

Sorry, just wanted to get in on the slagging banter 😄

What the fuck you on about. Get back in your box until you've thought about what you've done

Two home games this week for Wednesday. In midweek the visitors were Nottingham Forest, and a dominant display saw the home side win 2-0. Hirst opened the scoring in the first half with a nice side step and finish after Warhurst played him through. Williams came close to doubling the lead but saw his effort cleared off the line after rounding the keeper. Despite Wednesday being very much in control the majority of the 29,623 crowd had to wait until deep into the second half for the decisive goal. Again it came from David a Hirst when his deflected shot following a free kick routine found the net.

Woods, Nilsson, King (Harkes), Palmer, Pearson, Warhurst, Wilson, Bart-Williams, Hirst, Williams, Worthington. Unused subs, Francis, Pressman.

On the Saturday 26,338 were in attendance for the visit of Chelsea. At half time Wednesday looked set for maximum points, but ended up thankful for a Wilson equaliser for a 3-3 draw. A Hirst double, firing through a crowded penalty area following a corner for the first, then a penalty he had won himself, saw us well in command. It all unravelled in the second half though as Chelsea came back to lead 3-2 including an excellent solo effort from Graeme Stuart. Wilson’s equaliser came after a Hirst headed was blocked.

Woods, Nilsson, King (Francis), Palmer, Pearson, Warhurst, Harkes (Wilson), Bart-Williams, Hirst, Williams, Worthington. Unused sub, Beresford.

I was on crutches that Chelsea game so stayed behind at the end. Some Chelsea fans thought they would act all hard with a women pushing a pram up Herries Rd. I piled in with crutches in full swing. First time I've ever been brave enough to take some kids on. 

My old dad was mortified as well as shitting himself. Bless him. 

Edited by Skamp
  • Like 2

It was two trips to the capital this week 30 years ago, and Wednesday returned with just a single point.

In midweek it was a 1-1 draw at Crystal Palace. The hosts led at the break with a near post flicked on corner nodded home by Mark Bright. The equaliser also came from a corner with Palace keeper Nigel Martyn making a mess of things and allowing Paul Williams to tap home.

Wood, Warhurst, King, Palmer (Bart-Williams), Pearson, Shirtliff, Wilson, Hyde, Hirst, Williams, Worthington. Unused subs, Beresford, Francis.

At the weekend Highbury was the destination, with a 2-1 defeat the outcome. All the goals came in the first half with Ray Parlour and Paul Merson giving the home side a 2-0 lead, before Hirst pulled on back. The significant incident came just before Hirst’s goal when a shocking from behind tackle from Steve Bould broke his ankle. It was the sort of tackle that (quite rightly) is now a straight red. Amazing Hirst hit a cracking goal immediately afterwards despite his injury.

Woods, Nilsson, Warhurst, Hyde, Pearson, Shirtliff, Wilson (Harkes), Bart-Williams, Hirst (Jemson), Williams, Worthington. Unused sub, Pressman.

Our average start of one win, three draws, and one defeat, unsurprisingly had us in 10th place.

It was an unlikely looking top three with Blackburn, QPR and Norwich leading the way. At the other end Tottenham were propping up the table with Wimbledon and Forest completing the relegation zone. Our shabby neighbours and Palace were just a point outside the drop zone.

On 27/08/2022 at 23:47, Lee said:

Bright was a great buy and improved the options up front massively. No arguments at all about your second point.

Just looking at his Wednesday goal record he scored 48 goals in 133 appearances. I don’t think we realised at time how good he was.  Only dawned when he left and was replaced by Booth. Another Pleat master stroke. 
Bould and Adams would not have a career now. Would be red carded every game

2 hours ago, Morley Owl said:

Just looking at his Wednesday goal record he scored 48 goals in 133 appearances. I don’t think we realised at time how good he was.  Only dawned when he left and was replaced by Booth. Another Pleat master stroke. 
Bould and Adams would not have a career now. Would be red carded every game

Dont get me started on that fucking donkey Booth.

Two home defeats in a week and suddenly Wednesday’s average start to the season was a poor one having taken just six points from the first seven games.

In midweek Coventry were the visitors with a crowd of 22,874 in attendance to see Chris Waddle’s home debut. The winger’s first half play should have seen us in front as he was clearly brought down inside the area early on. Wednesday also missed chances before the break, the clearest being for Jemson who struck the post after the keeper had parried Williams’ shot. Somehow we went in a goal down at half time with the visitors scoring against the run of play. They doubled their lead early in the second half, but Wednesday were still having the better of the play. The deficit was halved on the hour mark when Bart-Williams ran onto a Waddle through ball to beat the keeper. We could not force an equaliser though and the game ended in a 2-1 defeat.

Woods, Nilsson, Warhurst (Wilson), Palmer, Pearson, Shirtliff, Jemson (Francis), Bart-Williams, Waddle, Williams, Worthington. Unused sub, Pressman 

If the midweek defeat was unlucky, we could not claim that at the weekend as Man City ran out comfortable 3-0 winners in front of 27,169. The first goal came from an indirect free kick in the box as a result of the new back pass rule. It was the sort of free kick, that with a ridiculously crowded six yard box, almost never results in a goal. The visitors added two more in the second half, and to make matters worse Nilsson limped off to add to our growing injury list.

Woods, Nilsson (Harkes), Wilson (Francis), Palmer, Pearson, Shirtliff, Watson, Bart-Williams, Waddle, Williams, Worthington. Unused sub, Pressman 

We now sat in 17th place just two points ahead of 20th and 21st placed Crystal Palace and United, and three ahead of bottom of the pile, Nottingham Forest. It was still an odd looking top of the table with a top four of Norwich, Coventry, Blackburn, and QPR.