30 years ago - season 1992/93

cheat

5 hours ago, HoylandOwl said:

I’ve never been as cold at a game of football as I was that night. Fucking horrendous, I even considered buying a pie just to try to warm my hands!

Is that when you first invested in the cardi with double pockets as a consequence? 

Catch up part 3 - week ending 18th October 1992

Wednesday entertained Oldham in front of 24,485 with the return from injury for David Hirst meant we saw the Hirst/Bright partnership for the first time. They almost got off to the dream start with Bright turning in Hirst’s cross from close range, only for an offside flag to cut short the celebrations. It wasn’t long before Wednesday had the lead though with Palmer firing in off the post. It was all Wednesday and the strike pair linked up to make it 2-0, Hirst poking the ball through for Bright to hit home. Hirst himself came so close to scoring on his comeback as he saw his shot hit the inside of the post. Just before the break Oldham halved the deficit when Warhurst was adjudged to have fouled in the box. Woods kept the spot kick out, but couldn’t prevent the follow up being headed home. There was no further score in the second half, although Wednesday had to rely on a number of good saves from Woods late on as Oldham threatened to take an unlikely point.

Woods, Warhurst, Worthington, Palmer, Shirtliff, Anderson, Harkes, Waddle (Watson), Hirst (Wilson), Bart-Williams, Bright. Unused sub, Pressman.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Catch up part 4 - week ending 25th October 1992

In midweek Wednesday travelled to Germany to face Kaiserslautern in the first leg of the second round of the UEFA Cup. The night started well with David Hirst heading home a Chris Waddle cross to give Wednesday the lead after only five minutes. By the end of the night though the home side had turned it round to record a 3-1 win, on what was an incredibly frustrating and unjust night. Less than a minute after Hirst’s opener the host were awarded a penalty for a Viv Anderson challenge that not only appeared to win the ball, but be outside the box too. As half time approached the second injustice of the night occurred when Hirst was sent off for nothing as Marco Harber threw himself to the floor and French referee Joel Quiniou decided out number nine must have been guilty of something. Kaiserslautern made their numerical advantage count in the second half, scoring twice in as many minutes early in the half.

Woods, Harkes, Worthington, Palmer, Pearson, Anderson, Wilson, Waddle, Hirst, Warhurst (Watson), Hyde (Bart-Williams). Unused subs, Pressman, Sheridan, Williams.

Back to league action on Saturday and a trip to Middlesbrough. The game ended 1-1 with Wednesday probably a tad fortunate to come away with a point. Wednesday took the lead somewhat against the run of play when Bright capitalised on a defensive mistake. The lead only lasted five minutes before Paul Wilkinson (in my mind a perennial scorer against us) equalised from close range. Only a number of excellent stops from Woods kept Wednesday in it, although towards the end there was more than a good shout for a penalty when Waddle went down in the box.

Woods, Harkes, Worthington, Palmer, Pearson, Anderson, Hyde, Waddle, Bright, Bart-Williams, Warhurst (Watson). Unused subs, Pressman, Wilson.

We went on the plane to the Kaiserslautern match.  Tango and his mates were sat not far behind us, winding up the stewardesses. One of them in particular, (he was telling her that it was her turn at forfeits and it was her "sussies" next), I caught her look and if she could have got away with murdering him and chucking his body out of the plane, she would have done.  

I was quite impressed, once we reached the ground, to find that you could buy draught beer from what had looked like a burger van parked right outside the stadium. Quite civilised, that.  

Just a correction: the 'penalty' challenge didn't look like it was outside the box. It WAS outside the box. Viv's challenge left an extremely obvious heel groove in the turf that halted where he pulled his leg back, a good yard outside the penalty area.  Also their player's ludicrous, pathetic dive into the box and multiple high speed rollovers was similar to the German player doing similar in order to get Gascoigne sent off at the 1990 World Cup.  The only difference was that this cheating get wasn't German. I really hated him. 

Regarding the sending off, I'm much less critical. The defender was stood closely behind Hirsty, presumably 'interacting' with him. Hirsty unwisely made to kick his heel backwards at him, not - in my opinion - making any contact with him, (or meaning to), but once spotted it gave the ref. a decision to make.  He did.  Unjust but why pretend in the first place?  

My final memory of the night was that we were not allowed to get off the coach at the French airport, (Strasbourg?), until just before our return flight was due. Not even just for a pee.  Obviously we were all hooligans.  🙄

Edited by Owling_Wolf
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, HoylandOwl said:

I didn’t have a passport….. gutted I couldn’t go to that or Luxembourg 

See I didn't have a passport before that season and had got one in anticipation of going to games. Spora I wasn't interested in, this one I passed on. Probably for the very mundane reason that I had to re-sit an exam, which I had to pay for and save holiday days as well. 

Saying that my purchase of the Sky box a few months earlier was worth it, as it was shown on Sat 1 one of the German channels. 

In the end we were fortunate to still be in the tie as it probably should have been a bigger defeat really.

2 minutes ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

See I didn't have a passport before that season and had got one in anticipation of going to games. Spora I wasn't interested in, this one I passed on. Probably for the very mundane reason that I had to re-sit an exam, which I had to pay for and save holiday days as well. 

Saying that my purchase of the Sky box a few months earlier was worth it, as it was shown on Sat 1 one of the German channels. 

In the end we were fortunate to still be in the tie as it probably should have been a bigger defeat really.

Yeah I watched it on Sat1 at my mates house.

The moral of that is really to seize the day. I think we presumed that being one of the best sides in the country at the time we would sweep past most. 

Not to be, sadly Kaiserslautern have dropped like a proverbial stone in the German pyramid as well. Fans who were there and the return tie would have laughed at that thought years later

Just now, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

The moral of that is really to seize the day. I think we presumed that being one of the best sides in the country at the time we would sweep past most. 

Not to be, sadly Kaiserslautern have dropped like a proverbial stone in the German pyramid as well. Fans who were there and the return tie would have laughed at that thought years later

Sadly they’ve dropped? Nah, screw em. I’ve hated them ever since those games against us. Cheating twats.

• Like 1

Went to Kaiserslautern by car. Got stopped by local Polizei and told to park in this large supermarket and get the bus in. Didn't realise they were police at first, due to their green car and uniforms. We thought they were the German AA or something. 

Absolutely fantastic atmosphere in and around the ground but found the town a bit of an industrial shithole. No problems until we found the buses weren't running back to the car park. About 20 Wednesday walking through town in roughly the right direction and avoiding the odd group of neo nazi skinheads that seemed to be looking for trouble with anyone. Got back to the car about 90 mins later, several wrong turns, and drove out to find a quieter spot to sleep. More green uniforms tapping on the window about 4am and told us there was an Etap about 5 miles down the road and it was that or a cell for vagrancy. 

2 minutes ago, HoylandOwl said:

Sadly they’ve dropped? Nah, screw em. I’ve hated them ever since those games against us. Cheating twats.

I get that pov - probably felt the same 

It was more how similar the histories have been since then. 

Let's be honest we feel as fans that we are a bigger club simply in hibernation, but its 30 years now. Does anyone give a shit about us 

14 minutes ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

I get that pov - probably felt the same 

It was more how similar the histories have been since then. 

Let's be honest we feel as fans that we are a bigger club simply in hibernation, but its 30 years now. Does anyone give a shit about us 

There are plenty that give a shit about us. You’ve only got to glance across the corners of South Yorkshire to see a world of jealousy from all the rest of the clubs. Ok, maybe less so across the city due to their current status. But… they’re still bitter. 
And, we’ll still be the most successful club in the county for some time yet. 

24 minutes ago, HoylandOwl said:

There are plenty that give a shit about us. You’ve only got to glance across the corners of South Yorkshire to see a world of jealousy from all the rest of the clubs. Ok, maybe less so across the city due to their current status. But… they’re still bitter. 
And, we’ll still be the most successful club in the county for some time yet. 

Yep but that says more about Yorkshire, as long as we are better than that shite all is good

Whilst Bournemouth and Brentford are in the Premier League 

1 hour ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

Apart from the game changing penalty which was pure cheating, you mean. 

1 hour ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

Sadly?  I'd happily dance on that club's grave. 

24 minutes ago, Owling_Wolf said:

Well the Club itself did not cheat, a couple of their players maybe ?

Can you understand that many Liverpool fans may feel exactly the same way for obvious reasons. And that was actually due to the actions of employees at S6 at the time not the Club per se 

45 minutes ago, Owling_Wolf said:

One of their defenders admitted the collusion with Austria at Spain WC 82.

Their matches were key in the match fixing scandal of the early 2000's

And the  referee Joel Quiniou admitted taking bribes from clubs when in UEFA and FIFA competition.

The krauts are infamous for this. Ask the scum up the M1

Edited by Andyben

4 hours ago, Andyben said:

And the  referee Joel Quiniou admitted taking bribes from clubs when in UEFA and FIFA competition.

Is that true? I’m struggling to find reference to that, although the fact that on your post it’s in a different font makes it look like you copied and pasted it from somewhere.

I was going to say on my post that there must have been a suggestion of foul play,  but then when I watched the extended highlights I thought it was just two rank bad decisions; there were other 50/50 decisions that he could have given either way that went ours. That said, maybe that’s the clever way you do it; and those two decisions are an also certain goal (well whatever the penalty conversion rate is - 75% or so?), and us down to ten men.

Edited by cheat

16 hours ago, cheat said:

Is that true? I’m struggling to find reference to that, although the fact that on your post it’s in a different font makes it look like you copied and pasted it from somewhere.

I was going to say on my post that there must have been a suggestion of foul play,  but then when I watched the extended highlights I thought it was just two rank bad decisions; there were other 50/50 decisions that he could have given either way that went ours. That said, maybe that’s the clever way you do it; and those two decisions are an also certain goal (well whatever the penalty conversion rate is - 75% or so?), and us down to ten men.

Was Hirsty banned from the 2nd leg, too?

Catch up part 5 - week ending 1st November 1992

It was midweek cup action again for Wednesday, this time in the 3rd round of the League Cup as Leicester visited Hillsborough. Wednesday put on a show for the 17,326 in attendance by handing out a 7-1 thrashing. Hirst and Worthington set things in motion with goals in the first half, but it was after the break that Wednesday went to town with doubles from Bright and substitute Watson, and an effort from fellow sun Bart-Williams.

Woods, Harkes, Worthington, Palmer, Pearson, Anderson, Wilson, Waddle, Hirst (Watson), Bright, Sheridan (Bart-Williams).

It was another home game on the Saturday as Wednesday welcomed Blackburn to S6. Our highest attendance of the season so far of 31,044 were denied any goals with the game ending 0-0. Wednesday were on top throughout the game and it was a bit of mystery how they failed to find the net, Hirst and Sheridan both went close twice, with Harkes and Waddle also testing the keeper.

Woods, Harkes, Worthington, Palmer, Pearson, Anderson, Wilson, Waddle, Hirst, Bright, Sheridan. Unused subs, Bart-Williams, Pressman, Watson.

• 1 month later...

Catch up part 6 - week ending 8th November 1992

Sorry this has been so long coming folks. Still got load of shit going on and struggling for time. With try and get these up to date though.

This was a massive week for Wednesday with midweek seeing the return Kaiserslautern tie, and then the Sheffield derby at the weekend.

An incredibly passionate 27,597 crowd roared Wednesday on from the off, with villain of the piece from the first leg Marco Haber being roundly booed every time he touched the ball. There were chances for both sides in the first half, although it’s fair to say that the visitors had the clearer chances with Woods making a couple of good saves and an effort coming back off the post. It was Wednesday that took the lead though when Wilson scored from close range after a Harkes long throw was flicked on. At half time we were halfway to the 2-0 win that would see us progress. After a disallowed goal each Kaiserslautern put themselves back in the driving seat with an equaliser. It wasn’t long before Wednesday were back in front on the night though when Sheridan curled a free kick into the top corner. A lot of Wednesday pressure followed, but the visitors got the killer blow when they made it 2-2 with 15 minutes left. With a second away goal we needed an unlikely three goals to progress and the game somewhat petered out. Our European tour was over.

Woods, Harkes (Nilsson), Worthington, Palmer, Pearson (Bart-Williams), Anderson, Wilson, Waddle, Watson, Warhurst, Sheridan. Unused subs, Jemson, Pressman, Shirtliff 

A few days later we made the short trip over to the wrong side of the city to face United. Wednesday had the better of the early exchanges with keeper Kelly making a great save from Bright. Wednesday were clearly up for the game with both Hirst and Bright getting yellow cards for challenges, Hirst’s would definitely be a red today, and maybe should have been back then. United responded with a Deane header that came back off the bar, but the game remained goalless at the break. The home side took the lead on the hour mark when Littlejohn poked home after questionable keeping from Woods from a corner. Warhurst thought he’d hit the perfect equaliser with a lovely chip only for an outrageous offside decision to be given against a clearly not interfering Bright. Only a few minutes later parity was restored when a Hirst-Waddle one two ended with a lovely finish from our number nine. There was no further scoring and the spoils were shared with a 1-1 draw.

Woods, Nilsson, Worthington, Palmer, Pearson, Bart-Williams, Wilson, Waddle, Hirst, Bright, Sheridan (Warhurst). Unused subs, Harkes, Pressman.

Edited by cheat

6 minutes ago, Reesh said:

How have you managed to miss out Brights glaring miss to win it at the Sty.

To be honest I had forgotten about it, and I stopped watching the clip after Hirst’s equaliser thinking nothing else happened of worth.

Watched it now, and yes what a miss. He had another (harder) chance afterwards too.

Catch up part 7 - week ending 22nd November 1992

I haven’t missed a week - there was no game the week ending 15th November.

It was a disappointing home draw with Ipswich in front of 24,270 at S6. Wednesday led at the break thanks to an own goal, with Thompson heading home a Worthington free kick. The visitors levelled after the break though, and the game ended all square at 1-1.

Woods, Nilsson, Worthington, Palmer, Pearson, Warhurst (Bart-Williams), Wilson, Waddle, Hirst, Bright, Sheridan. Unused subs, Harkes, Pressman.

It was a fourth consecutive league draw, and it saw Wednesday sitting in a disappointing 14th place, only two places and two points above our neighbours. Norwich were still the surprise leaders, four points ahead of second placed Arsenal. Villa were third with Blackburn and QPR completing the top five. Forest were at the foot of the table with Palace and Wimbledon in the other relegation spots.

8 hours ago, cheat said:

Catch up part 7 - week ending 22nd November 1992

I haven’t missed a week - there was no game the week ending 15th November.

It was a disappointing home draw with Ipswich in front of 24,270 at S6. Wednesday led at the break thanks to an own goal, with Thompson heading home a Worthington free kick. The visitors levelled after the break though, and the game ended all square at 1-1.

Woods, Nilsson, Worthington, Palmer, Pearson, Warhurst (Bart-Williams), Wilson, Waddle, Hirst, Bright, Sheridan. Unused subs, Harkes, Pressman.

It was a fourth consecutive league draw, and it saw Wednesday sitting in a disappointing 14th place, only two places and two points above our neighbours. Norwich were still the surprise leaders, four points ahead of second placed Arsenal. Villa were third with Blackburn and QPR completing the top five. Forest were at the foot of the table with Palace and Wimbledon in the other relegation spots.

Current Owls Coach Neil Thompson

Catch up part 8 - week ending 29th November 1992

Five successive draws became six as Wednesday conceded a last minute penalty at Wimbledon for the game to end 1-1. A Waddle through ball was finished by Bart-Williams to give the visitors the lead at half-time. It looked like the first league win since mid October was on its way until Sheridan was adjudged to have handled on the line in the dying moments and Vinny Jones hit home the resultant penalty.

Woods, Nilsson, Worthington, Anderson, Bart-Williams, Warhurst, Wilson (Harkes), Waddle, Hirst, Bright, Sheridan. Unused subs, Pressman, Shirtliff 

On 09/01/2023 at 23:40, Owling_Wolf said:

Thanks for what you're managing to do here, Cheat, especially in the circumstances. I'm really enjoying this thread period.  

Thanks Owling. I do enjoy doing this, just takes a bit of time, and personal circumstances aren’t great at the moment. My Dad’s in and out of hospital at the moment and needing a lot of help from me.

Being an only child never bothered me, but I must admit these last few months I have been thinking, “oh, for a sibling or two to share this with”.

Anyway, enough of my sob story, on with the show.

• Like 5

Catch up part 9- week ending 6th December 1992

In midweek Wednesday welcomed QPR to Hillsborough for the 4th round of the League Cup. The 17,161 in attendance saw a dominant performance from the home side and a convincing 4-0 win. Palmer was provided for the first two goals, firstly running onto a Waddle through ball and then crossing for Bright to finish; then more wing play resulting in his cross being helped on by Bright for a close range Hirst finish. After the break the midfielder got himself onto the score sheet with determination to be the player to get to the ball in the box ahead of three defenders. The night was completed by a rare Nilsson goal with a nice left footed finish after Hirst laid it back for him.

Woods, Nilsson, Worthington, Palmer (Bart-Williams), Anderson, Warhurst, Harkes, Waddle, Hirst, Bright (Watson), Sheridan.

At the weekend our run of league draws came to an end, but not in the way we wanted as Dalian Atkinson came back to haunt us. In front of 29,964 he scored in each half to give Aston Villa a 2-1 win at Hillsborough. Both goals were crackers, with Wednesday’s response coming when Bright turned home a Waddle cross.

Woods, Nilsson, Worthington, Palmer. Anderson, Warhurst, Harkes (Bart-Williams), Waddle, Hirst, Bright, Sheridan (Watson). Unused sub, Pressman 

Edited by Reesh

8 minutes ago, Reesh said:

Sorry to hear that Cheat, its never easy even with siblings as some are just too self absorbed to care.

Thanks Reesh.

Yes, I’ve seen friends having those sort of issues and have always thought “at least I won’t be having those sort of arguments”. Hard to know which is worse.

10 hours ago, cheat said:

Thanks Owling. I do enjoy doing this, just takes a bit of time, and personal circumstances aren’t great at the moment. My Dad’s in and out of hospital at the moment and needing a lot of help from me.

Being an only child never bothered me, but I must admit these last few months I have been thinking, “oh, for a sibling or two to share this with”.

Sorry to hear that buddy. I went through what you are with my mum a few years back. So I know exactly where you’re coming from. DM’s are always open if you want a rant/chat.

Thanks for all you do on here mate.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HoylandOwl said:

Sorry to hear that buddy. I went through what you are with my mum a few years back. So I know exactly where you’re coming from. DM’s are always open if you want a rant/chat.

Thanks for all you do on here mate.

Thanks - it’s much appreciated 

17 hours ago, cheat said:

Best wishes from me to echo what others have said 

Its hard work and it takes it out of you. And don't ever apologise for sounding out on here. I did, if nothing else it was a distraction when my Mum was on the last part of her life. Probably why I got banned from Stalk in the end, it was my release to have a pop at folk on there 

Mrs MK now as this with her Dad, she does share with her sibling and it helps at  times, other times its a pain as her sister wants to control but she gets nowhere.