30 years ago - season 1992/93

cheat

On 15/01/2023 at 20:35, cheat said:

Thanks Owling. I do enjoy doing this, just takes a bit of time, and personal circumstances aren’t great at the moment. My Dad’s in and out of hospital at the moment and needing a lot of help from me.

Being an only child never bothered me, but I must admit these last few months I have been thinking, “oh, for a sibling or two to share this with”.

Anyway, enough of my sob story, on with the show.

Maybe just me but I wouldn't mind if you also included a wee personal anecdote or two within these threads every now and again.

Even 'silly little things' such as your dad winning the half time raffle or you falling in the street on the way home from a match (pished) and ripping your jeans. Reliving happy memories can be quite soothing.

Keep up the excellent work. I love reminiscing about the old seasons. Long may it continue 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Catch up part 10 - week ending 13th December 1992

Wednesday made the short journey up the M1 to face Leeds, and came away on the wrong side of a 3-1 scoreline. A defensive mix up, with Woods coming for a ball that was best left for the defenders to deal with, gifted the home side their first with Speed having the simple job of tapping the loose ball home. Roland Nilsson was the unlikely source of the equaliser when he scored his second in three games, again with a left foot shot, although this time he was aided by a deflection. The home side wrapped the points up after the break with both goals coming from former Owls. Chapman beat a motionless defence to head Leeds into the lead, then Varadi hit his first for ages to complete the scoring.

Woods, Nilsson, Worthington, Palmer, Pearson, Warhurst, Harkes, Waddle (Bart-Williams), Hirst, Bright, Sheridan. Unused subs, Pressman, Watson.

With no league win in seven Wednesday had dropped to a worrying 17th in the table, just two points ahead of the relegation zone, and now below United. Forest, Palace and Oldham were the bottom three, with Wimbledon and Everton also below us. Norwich still surprisingly led the table, five points clear of second placed Aston Villa. Man Utd, Chelsea and Blackburn completed the top five.

• 1 month later...

Catch up part 11 - week ending 20th December 1992

Wednesday’s long run without a league win thankfully came to an end this weekend with a 1-0 home win over QPR in front of 23,164. The game was settled in the first half courtesy of a Mark Bright goal.

Woods, Nilsson, Worthington, Palmer, Anderson, Warhurst (Bart-Williams), Wilson, Waddle, Hirst, Bright, Sheridan. Unused subs, Pressman, Watson.

Catch up part 12 - week ending 27th December 1992

A bumper 37,708 crowd saw a feast of goals on Boxing Day as Man Utd visited Hillsborough. A great end to end game saw the spoils shared in a 3-3 draw, although for the home crowd it was ultimately disappointing as Wednesday had led 3-0. 
First half goals from Hirst and Bright had put Wednesday in a great position and when Sheridan added a third half way through the second half it seemed the three points were in the bag. It was not to be though as a McClair double and a Cantona equaliser with six minutes to go saw the game end all square. A draw was probably fair as the game had been pretty even throughout.

Woods, Nilsson, Worthington, Palmer, Anderson, Shirtliff, Wilson (Harkes), Waddle, Hirst, Bright, Sheridan. Unused subs, Bart-Williams, Pressman.

Catch up part 13 - week ending 3rd January 1993

Bad weather ruled out the early January fixtures with Wednesday’s trip to Southampton on bank holiday Monday 28th December being the last fixture until 10th January.

Wednesday finished the year off with a win defeating the hosts 2-1. Sheridan dispatched an early penalty after Monkou had upended Hirst in the box. Hirst doubled the lead after the break with a thunderous shot from outside the box after the home keepe r had parried Waddle’s effort. Thoughts of the three goal lead we had conceded only two days previously when Southampton pulled one back, but we held on and returned home with all three points.

Woods, Nilsson, Worthington, Palmer, Anderson, Shirtliff, Wilson, Waddle, Hirst, Bright, Sheridan. Unused subs, Bart-Williams, Harkes, Pressman.