Lets hope we are Up Pompey

Our defence frightened me to death when in possession. And at times when they weren't. Moore likes to play out from back. Fair enough. But don't play 3 that can't. 

Stockdale. Nowhere near mobile enough. And anyone think what the hell was he doing in 2nd half playing that free kick from wide right across the box!!!!! Absolute madness. If you did that on a Sunday you'd be going crazy. But he had to have been told to do that. 

First 30 we played well but after that.... 

And, although Byers did OK himself, I'm far from convinced those 3 work as a group, and while he's decent as a collective, he'd be the one to make way for me. 

Daft as it sounds Portsmouth looked more dangerous in first 15mins last season than most of 90 this, and scored 3.

• Like 1

As an aside, can't see Fizz being allowed to leave after those two Fizz Bombs.  Yes, he did get robbed in attack for the counter attack that drew Heneghan out of the middle for a goal but without FDB we'd probably have lost badly. 

Belting goal by Neymarv today: similar to one that got ruled out at the same end last season. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cheat said:

Only seen the goals live, but surprised at the stick Stockdale is getting on POG.

All three were just unmarked headers weren’t they? Defenders at fault not the keeper.

I’m not Stockdale’s biggest fan anyway, but I’m with you on that. The marking was non existent. And the first header seemed to go right in the top corner (not seen it back since), it looked to be placed perfectly.

20 minutes ago, Professor Plum said:

Thought we looked weak down the flanks. The 3 at the back has served us well but these 3 are just getting stretched and exposed too much.. Time to change now. Yep, we're getting beat to the headers but we really need to work on stopping the delivery for me, especially against the better sides. James and Palmer playing on the flanks of a back four would not just improve us defensively but would also allow Johnson and Hunt to get further forward. Smith up front and then choose any 3 to play between Johnson and Hunt. Johnson defending isn't very good and is wasted. That left foot of his needs putting to better use.

Three crosses from Johnson’s side of the defence, all lead to goals. Says a lot. But he’s not a defender. 
We underused him today especially in the second half until late on when he showed why he needs to be in the oppos final 3rd more than ours, with some great crosses.

• Like 1

Some steward came onto grandstand at end of our row today with a pen and a red report card in his hand. Starts looking at rows and counting seats in front of us. Then comes along our row sits in mi dads seat (he’d gone to the toilet) starts writing on the card all I saw was he wrote (gesturing towards away fans)

Whats all that about? Will someone be getting a warning or summat? Very bizarre why not just pull them out? I take it everyone in T block north gets them every game.

Seems a bit shithousery tactics to me 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️ 

Apart from that Portsmouth kit looks like they are playing in bibs in training 

Need to sort defence out yes and booing at full time ffs get a grip 

See you all at MK next week

Up the Owls

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, HoylandOwl said:

I’m not Stockdale’s biggest fan anyway, but I’m with you on that. The marking was non existent. And the first header seemed to go right in the top corner (not seen it back since), it looked to be placed perfectly.

I’ve watched them back now, and I don’t think he’s at blame for any of them. 

For their first I think you just have to say it was a very good goal, great movement in the box to get away from his marker and a header right into the top corner. Second and third are just awful from the defence.

I just did not see the awful performance from him that many others did. Aside from the goals there wasn’t a right lot for him to do.

Just now, cheat said:

I’ve watched them back now, and I don’t think he’s at blame for any of them. 

For their first I think you just have to say it was a very good goal, great movement in the box to get away from his marker and a header right into the top corner. Second and third are just awful from the defence.

I just did not see the awful performance from him that many others did. Aside from the goals there wasn’t a right lot for him to do.

Me too, the calmness he showed in the first half on the ball under pressure was something we’ve not had. The defence certainly had confidence in him when putting him in a couple of tight spots which he got out of without much fuss. 

I think some have marked his card as he’s ‘big boned’ so instantly ‘can’t be agile’ etc. And the frustrations have poured his way. 

But, all this Dawson would have done better stuff from many I’m seeing. Is that the same Dawson that many wanted rid of? Who wasn’t good enough and was a calamity? One season in League 2 and he’s now our Alison Becker?

While Wycombe’s defence definitely will have helped Stockdale get so many clean sheets last season. They won’t have kept the ball off him every game, so he played his part for them. 

As I say, I don’t think he’s amazing, never have. But he’s not the reason we conceded 3 today. 

I don’t think Stockdale could do much about any of the goals yet somehow he just didn’t inspire confidence.

Ihiekwe was the best of the back 3 today, Heneghan and Iorfa I thought looked a bit shaky even when we were playing well. 

Byers was outstanding first half but the moment he got booked changed the game as he suddenly stopped putting his foot in and we couldn’t get the ball back.

Gregory was great, Windass not so much and should have been taken off second half.

I had a feeling we were going to be good going forward but shaky at the back. Hopefully the GK and defence just need time to settle down. But I agree that after the first half it didn’t feel good to lose control of the game like that in the second half.

The ref? Was actually quite favourable to us in the first half but definitely not in the second half when it mattered. There was one moment where Heneghan outmuscled a defender in their box and the ref pulled him up for absolutely nothing. As last season we have more possession but concede more free kicks. Free kick to us every 4.5 minutes of possession, free kick to them every 2.1 minutes, draw your own conclusion.

Loved Cam Dawson’s cameo in midfield in the second half. According to the scoreboard operator anyway, think he’d been on the piss at half time.

9 minutes ago, Chelters said:

I don’t think Stockdale could do much about any of the goals yet somehow he just didn’t inspire confidence.

Ihiekwe was the best of the back 3 today, Heneghan and Iorfa I thought looked a bit shaky even when we were playing well. 

Byers was outstanding first half but the moment he got booked changed the game as he suddenly stopped putting his foot in and we couldn’t get the ball back.

Gregory was great, Windass not so much and should have been taken off second half.

I had a feeling we were going to be good going forward but shaky at the back. Hopefully the GK and defence just need time to settle down. But I agree that after the first half it didn’t feel good to lose control of the game like that in the second half.

The ref? Was actually quite favourable to us in the first half but definitely not in the second half when it mattered. There was one moment where Heneghan outmuscled a defender in their box and the ref pulled him up for absolutely nothing. As last season we have more possession but concede more free kicks. Free kick to us every 4.5 minutes of possession, free kick to them every 2.1 minutes, draw your own conclusion.

Loved Cam Dawson’s cameo in midfield in the second half. According to the scoreboard operator anyway, think he’d been on the piss at half time.

Re the scoreboard.

Famewo was on, so was Palmer and Gregory was still on after being sent off. 

1 hour ago, Billysboy said:

None of the goals were stockdales fault, bit of scapegoating raising it’s head?

Nonsense, I was pleased we signed him until I saw him today. I was expecting a mega experienced keeper who commanded his area and martialed his defence well. What I saw was a bloke who looked very out of shape, didn't collect one cross, conceded three goals and looked bang average.

1 hour ago, Gleadless Owl said:

I didn't have an opinion on Stockdale either way before today. I've only seen the goals live, but he seemed slow to react to the first one. Heneghan had a decent game I thought. Proper old fashioned centre half, but wouldn't like to see him up against anyone with pace

I'd agree with all this

1 hour ago, Otto_Man said:

Nonsense, I was pleased we signed him until I saw him today. I was expecting a mega experienced keeper who commanded his area and martialed his defence well. What I saw was a bloke who looked very out of shape, didn't collect one cross, conceded three goals and looked bang average.

I'd agree with all this

See, I’m just not getting this.

It must be me though, there’s plenty of people saying similar, so it has to be more than just a couple of people with an agenda against Stockdale.

But, seriously, what crosses?

Portsmouth offered absolutely nothing in the first half. Other than their goals, I don’t recall much in the second half either. 

None of the goals were “the keeper ought to have come and claimed that”, so what am I missing?

I am genuinely confused.

As I said to Mrs MK as I got in, new season same old shit.

The positives

3 very well taken goals

Add on some very well created opportunities, especially 2nd half. 

FDB 

Some of the moves at time were great to see

The negatives

1st half for all the controlled possession, not many good chances

Bannan - disappeared for a big chunk of the game. He was closely marked and they seemed to be narrowing the space. 

Stockdale - was on the Kop so hard to judge in real time. His self belief on passing will cost us a couple of goals

Defence - is Stevie Wonder scouting for us. I mean if we are going to play if from the back have players that can actually go it

Heneghan - seen milk turn quicker

No plan B from Moore again. He gets out thought tactically time and again.

Substitutions - fuck me why does it take 5 mins to get players on. It smacks of indecision  

Scoreboard - the real add is seeing replays of goals etc. HT scores would be nice again. Notwithstanding actually showing the players who are on the pitch 

Ref - tbf his general match handling was not too bad. But he clearly had not read the memo on time wasting. How the authorities clamp down on the keeper "injuries" i really don't know. Perhaps the only way is that they have to go to the sidelines like an outfield player. And why the flip subs that were going to happen anyhow can be made 2 minutes after 2 injury stoppages and not during said stoppages.

Fucktard award

Ok I will self nominate myself for the Chris Kamara award of not realising Gregory had been sent off. 

Just to mention the ref did a good thing to try and deal with time wasting before our third goal just before the corner he made one of their players who had been on the floor go to the sideline taking him out of the game for the corner. I also thought that he read the memo about letting some of the challenges that would last season have been blown up for go and keep the game flowing. 
The 7 minutes also was a good thing but in the 7 minutes they wasted at least 4-5 of them and no more added on.

Just my thoughts 

I'm sure I've read about Stoke doing something similar with the 'keeper?!

Back on our 'keeper, having reflected on it, I still believe, as Bartos suggested, a more athletic keeper saves the first and second. I think it's difficult to swallow that we conceded 3 goals, yet I don't recall Stockdale making 1 save (bar catching 1 very tame shot), nor collecting 1 cross (in fairness it was only when I checked the stats this morning I realised they had no corners), yet we conceded 3?! Don't get me wrong the goals are the fault of poor marking not goalkeeping errors, but still a difficult pill to swallow.

As an aside, couple of blokes behind me (away end side of the south) were adamant the guy who ran through to out the cross in for the third was offside, tried to see it on the highlights last night, but it wasn't clear.

9 hours ago, Otto_Man said:

I'd agree with all this

On the goals alone I think I'm more disappointed with the centre halves and the fact the crosses all came from the same side, on reflection probably agree with the other stuff you say.

1 hour ago, Chelters said:

@HoylandOwlApparently the ‘keeper feigning injury and everyone going over for a team talk’ on about 70 minutes is a standard Cowley tactic. Did you notice this from your time at Lincoln?

Yes. Absolutely.

Its long been a shithousery tactic of his/theirs. The first game I worked for them, away at Notts County, hour in… keeper sits down. I was thinking oh, what’s happened there? Pulled a hammy? My mate says, he’s fine. Slowing the game down.

Stockdale made a good save ahead of their 2nd. Our Defence on their heels. Striker on his toes. Striker puts home the rebound.

The keeper kept the header out. 
On reflection. Maybe the first he could have got to, being more athletic but as soon as the header left their lad’s head I thought it was perfectly placed. 

Again, I ain’t his biggest fan. Was underwhelmed with his signing, but I ain’t ruling him out after 1 game.

12 minutes ago, Angelinblue said:

I take more positives negatives out of the game. At times we playednice slick football, Now it is a case of tightening up at the back and Sorting defence out. My main worry is big Dom, He can offer a lot yesterday showed he was very frail.

He just seems so nervous in possession too, as well as having moments of absent mindness. It’s like he’s distracted all the time. 
But then, you can see him take control of his man, or the ball and then think, you can see why he was and has been revered. 

But we’re in league 1, so we can’t expect Virgil Van Dijk.

I think with Iorfa, his lack of game time, and and a still lack of understanding of the system he’s playing, is affecting him. And let’s be clear, he struggled at the end of last season.

Its a massive year for him, if he continues to struggle, he’s going to get dropped and all of a sudden, that next contract is a long way off.

What I hope is that the more he plays, the more familiar it gets. But, his display yesterday was awful, both in and out of possession. And I forgot the pen for the high foot, I can understand why Cowley was livid with that, cast iron that one.

A goalkeeper's size/appearance is not indicative of his agility or ability. One of the best I have seen, Neville Southall, always looked like he'd done a shift on the dustbins in Llandudno. Mark Crossley too didn't win slimmer of the year either.

13 minutes ago, bricat said:

A goalkeeper's size/appearance is not indicative of his agility or ability. One of the best I have seen, Neville Southall, always looked like he'd done a shift on the dustbins in Llandudno. Mark Crossley too didn't win slimmer of the year either.

Whereas Pressman was just a fat unprofessional ****

I’m still saying the same thing I was saying pre-game.  Im not worried at all about where the goals are coming from.  There are easily enough goals in this team to win the division.  The defence was always likely to take a bit of time to settle.  Stockdale had the most clean sheets in the division last season.  I don’t think it’ll take him that long to sort out the communication with his defence.  The biggest worry, as other posters have mentioned, is Iorfa.  

2 hours ago, Chelters said:

Iorfa would be better as the centre of the three as he can cover round the back of the other two, which is probably where he does his best defensive work. 

Yes agree with this but won't happen as Hennigan will get exposed for lack of pace. I've thought his best games for us was as a right back, but I wouldn't have him anywhere near a right wing back

Re injuries and time wasting. 

Interesting experiment took place in the French and Belgian 2nd Divisions, just before lockdown, where independent medical teams were the only ones allowed on the pitch. They'd act as a quick triage and stretcher the player off for club medics to attend to the player once he was off the pitch. If the triage thought there was nothing wrong and the player continued without going off to his own physio then he was booked for time wasting. 

Water bottles weren't allowed to be thrown on and players stepping off for a drink and a chat weren't allowed back on til ref said so. Mass player huddles were also stopped. 

It worked and injury related time added on virtually disappeared. It also failed because the top divisions refused to trial it and playing after lockdown resulted in a more liberal approach to water and injury breaks

5 minutes ago, Mark said:

Yes agree with this but won't happen as Hennigan will get exposed for lack of pace. I've thought his best games for us was as a right back, but I wouldn't have him anywhere near a right wing back

Who is Hennigan