Lets hope we are Up Pompey

Cowley out thought Moore second half.

First 45, Portsmouth played right through the middle and just got swallowed up.

Second half, got the full backs up and isolated the wing backs, this then brought one of the back three out to help and then all hell broke loose with the coverage on the cross.

Second goal, Iorfa marking space and trying the guess the run that the forward would make.

Third goal, another overload, this everyone shuffled across and Iorfa ends up marking Heneghan and them blames hunt on the cover behind him.

Some decent coaching from Cowley, some poor defending, particularly from Iorfa and we nearly lost a game that we should have scored 5 in.

As a back three, those three have to be a bit more compact out of possession, and we need to be screaming to get the wing backs back in. That can be worked on.

Postives? Lots with the ball. We looked a genuine threat when we got the ball in the last third. Dele was outstanding, i thought Gregory was good, and Windass was decent first 45.

Just a note on Michael Smith. He needs crosses like the stuff in the first half, and not the floaters from 30 yards that we got in the second.

27 minutes ago, KrolMong said:

Cowley out thought Moore second half.

First 45, Portsmouth played right through the middle and just got swallowed up.

Second half, got the full backs up and isolated the wing backs, this then brought one of the back three out to help and then all hell broke loose with the coverage on the cross.

Second goal, Iorfa marking space and trying the guess the run that the forward would make.

Third goal, another overload, this everyone shuffled across and Iorfa ends up marking Heneghan and them blames hunt on the cover behind him.

Some decent coaching from Cowley, some poor defending, particularly from Iorfa and we nearly lost a game that we should have scored 5 in.

As a back three, those three have to be a bit more compact out of possession, and we need to be screaming to get the wing backs back in. That can be worked on.

Postives? Lots with the ball. We looked a genuine threat when we got the ball in the last third. Dele was outstanding, i thought Gregory was good, and Windass was decent first 45.

Just a note on Michael Smith. He needs crosses like the stuff in the first half, and not the floaters from 30 yards that we got in the second.

Good summary pal.

Here's my twopennyworth for all it's worth, I've said it before and i'll say it again...

Smith will not do much here, he will not be played in a system that suits him IMHO.

Other thing i would do with immediate effect (it should have been done a long time ago) is change who the captain is.

Bannan is not a captain and even if he were, he cannot marshall the defence from the position he plays in.

I know the defenders should be organising themselves anyway, but a central defender should be captain because they "should" be able to see problems and workarounds and then be able to give someone a bollocking when needed.

Tough to take after a relatively straight forward 1st half.

Defensively we were poor, letting their players get goal side, not picking up properly etc. Stockdale will need to improve as well, Dawson might feel he could do better and Id probably agree.

As well as our defence being a bit suspect I dont think our strikers really got a look in. Smith didnt make much difference when he came on.

I also wonder if a midfield 3 of Bannan, Byers and Bashiru can work. Interesting that DM took Byers off. TBH I thought Bannan was the worst of the 3 but he was better after Byers went off. I actually think Vaulks has to be played as the holding midifielder, be the Luongo if you like.

Finally, the referee was shocking. The inconsistency with the yellow cards was the worst Ive seen since our friend that officiated the game against Villa a few year back. I wasnt shocked to see Gregory to get a 2nd yellow, it was almost like that was the refs plan from the first whistle, ie to get a Wednesday player sent off. A caller said the didnt cost us, maybe not but he did effect the game and who knows what might have happened in those last 7 mins if we had 11 players on the pitch.

Theres a lot to work on this week and whilst I think Portsmouth were better than last season we also need to be better.

Edited by Tank_Owl2,0

3 minutes ago, cheat said:

Only seen the goals live, but surprised at the stick Stockdale is getting on POG.

All three were just unmarked headers weren’t they? Defenders at fault not the keeper.

I think it was the 2nd where he appeared to fumble it Cheat which people arent happy about. And a few wayward kicks, but I know what you mean, hes got his work cut out trying to keep out headers that close in. I just think Dawson might have had better reaction time, but its opinions. Better still stop the crosses coming in, I was annoyed out how easy they got past Windass for their 3rd, even if he is a midfield/ striker

Edited by Tank_Owl2,0

8 minutes ago, cheat said:

Only seen the goals live, but surprised at the stick Stockdale is getting on POG.

All three were just unmarked headers weren’t they? Defenders at fault not the keeper.

It wasn't just the goals cheat, he inspired zero confidence, I can't recall him collecting one cross. He was fucking about trying to take players on and looked about 3 stone overweight. It literally looked like they had dragged an enthusiastic Dad out of the crowd.