Who’s having the match thread?? Looks like me. - Sunderland away leg

51 minutes ago, Bellsview said:

Or maybe fucking not.

What a night for Bannan to go missing and lose the ability to fucking pass the ball to a player in the same shirt!

I tell you what, he's nowhere near fit enough. Neither is Windass 

Just now, MAL said:

It wasn't the pace that was the problem, it was the tactics.

He kept it going all game, even towards the end it was him pulling the strings.

It is not often i stick up for BB, but this time i will.

Said at HT that if this was the tactics then I would perhaps have kept Bannan under wraps. Once the game slowed down Bannan did what Bannan does

2 minutes ago, MAL said:

It wasn't the pace that was the problem, it was the tactics.

He kept it going all game, even towards the end it was him pulling the strings.

It is not often i stick up for BB, but this time i will.

I’m not staying bannan was shit far from it just think he wasn’t fully fit. 

Should never accept losing but I think we showed a lot more in the second half but without looking like scoring. One nil down isn't the end of the world and I think we still have a very good chance. Sunderland looked organised and kept an unfit Bannan quiet but the onus is on us now to be up for it and linking the strikers with the midfield/ wing backs more on Monday. 

1 minute ago, Winco said:

I’m not staying bannan was shit far from it just think he wasn’t fully fit. 

Still disagree.

I wish i had posted what i was going to before the match started now.

I was going to put...

"We shall see how fit Bannan is by how we start"

We started exactly how we started against MKD, with Bannan putting pressure on the back line of the opposites.

If he wasn't fit, there is no chance we would have started doing that.

IMHO it was just down to bad tactics that made him look bad.

2 minutes ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

Tbf he appeared to make a huge difference when he did come on. Maybe it was coincidence 

He did make a difference, but you can tell he probably knows he isn't quite ready. He was better than Berahino, which isn't saying much, but it wasn't entirely his fault when were just smashing it up to him

2 minutes ago, MAL said:

Still disagree.

I wish i had posted what i was going to before the match started now.

I was going to put...

"We shall see how fit Bannan is by how we start"

We started exactly how we started against MKD, with Bannan putting pressure on the back line of the opposites.

If he wasn't fit, there is no chance we would have started doing that.

IMHO it was just down to bad tactics that made him look bad.

Was he injured though or was it one of the usual 1 game in 4 where he's off it?

2 minutes ago, MPB said:

Tactics for them 2nd leg?   How do you play it?  If we were in their position it would be impossible to call....

Really don’t think they were that good, thought 2nd half start was us still stinging from goin 1 down, a mistakes gave em an advantage far from over, they sat back last 20, don’t think they’ll come out of the traps at ours.

1 minute ago, MPB said:

Was he injured though or was it one of the usual 1 game in 4 where he's off it?

Wow

This is new territory for me, as in sticking up for BB.

I don't think he was injured, i think it was the tactics that didn't do him justice.

There was, for most of the game, nobody making any moves (Just watch it again and see how the Sunderland players move , control and pass for each other and always looking to go forward by the way) we did none of that except for maybe the last 15 minutes of the game, which BB was always involved, not bad for someone not fit.

45 minutes ago, Kiwi Owl said:

That's very harsh on Dean and Storey

Sunderland have thrown the kitchen sink at us and they've stood up to it very well. 

Hutchinson I'd add also if he hadn't had his moment of madness

I posted Rhubarb straight after your post.

It wasn't meant as an answer to your post, it was just that that match had finished.

😁

That was a painful watch, as these away legs usually are. 1 nil doesn’t seem a terrible result considering. 

The performance wasn’t encouraging at all though. I think a lot of assumptions suggest we will win on Monday but we won’t if we shit it like that again at key moments.

3 minutes ago, Billysboy said:

Do worry if they park bus, we can’t get past it.

They will NOT park the bus, not intentionally anyway, they cannot play any other way now, but have we the capability of providing the necessary pressure to stop them attacking.

We will have to wait and see.

17 minutes ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

Well that was fookin horrible to watch.

I'm torn - bad mistake but could have capitulated in the first 15 of second half.  We needed to still be in the game which we are.  We have come away one down up against a decent team with 43,000 behind them

Have they played to their limit whereas we were at 80%?

As they missed those second half chances the more it seemed to bring life into us. They should have buried this whole tie. Free header second half wasn’t it and hit the bar. Then the BPF moment.

Prior to the goal though whilst we were poor they didn’t look like scoring other than the odd corner. So in that sense we could’ve had a beaut of a 0-0

We won't be that shit again Monday and they won't be that good. Their fans were shitting it at the end because they looked like they were going to "do a Wednesday". 

Special mention to the officials who were wank as always. 

Can't wait til Dawson's back next season...

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, owl4ever1867 said:

Everyone has their opinion re Bannan but personally, Dele-Bashiru would've played tonight instead for me, give BB another 48 hours rest.

Know exactly what you are saying but imagine the melt down if same result and Bannan on the bench. 

Byers for me had a very poor game out of the midfield. 

4 minutes ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

Know exactly what you are saying but imagine the melt down if same result and Bannan on the bench. 

I thought everybody had a bad game, it was the wrong tactics, again.

Luckily only 1 nil.

4 minutes ago, MonkeyTennis said:

I thought the only reason we improved was we started to be brave enough to get the ball down and play our game, they tired as well which opened up space.

2 minutes ago, MonkeyTennis said:

Thought BB was worth the risk in this...our player of the season in a playoff semi - got to take a chance on him imo.

That said he should have been hooked after looking off the pace.

If you look at your 2 posts, there is a connection as to why BB was so ineffective, it was because of the reason in post 1.

On a positive note, it didn't cost me anything to watch that tripe (last 20 minutes or so excepted)

On Monday, I'm paying to watch it, so Darren, please play Hunt and leave Berahino on the bench as well.

I think we will turn it around on Monday, 3-1 The Wednesday.

1 hour ago, Kiwi Owl said:

That's very harsh on Dean and Storey

Sunderland have thrown the kitchen sink at us and they've stood up to it very well. 

Hutchinson I'd add also if he hadn't had his moment of madness

Yeah, that's a fair comment to be honest.

But that is not to say they were on it and totally worth MOM.

45 minutes ago, Otto_Man said:

We won't be that shit again Monday and they won't be that good. Their fans were shitting it at the end because they looked like they were going to "do a Wednesday". 

Special mention to the officials who were wank as always. 

Can't wait til Dawson's back next season...

Apart from the Dawson point I agree with everything else, Otto

1 hour ago, MPB said:

Tactics for them 2nd leg?   How do you play it?  If we were in their position it would be impossible to call....

I think you’ve got to try and nick a goal  after withstanding early pressure or possibly try and spring a surprise early on. Sitting back all game would be likely to backfire 

57 minutes ago, MonkeyTennis said:

Thought BB was worth the risk in this...our player of the season in a playoff semi - got to take a chance on him imo.

That said he should have been hooked after looking off the pace.

Agree with the first bit MT, pointless saving him if we're out of it after the first game.

20 minutes ago, Beaconowl said:

Apart from the Dawson point I agree with everything else, Otto

Don't get me wrong beacon I'm under no illusions about Dawson's ability, but I'm convinced we'd be in no worse a position if he'd played this season and likely a hell of a lot better off

Think Moore can't win in these situations.

If he went gung ho full on attack at them tonight, and we lost 4 or 5-0, I assume the moaners about Moores tactics would be giving him a round of applause for them.

It felt almost like Plymouth, Sunderland really pressed us with high intensity and didn't allow us any time on the ball. Digging in was required and bar a mistake from Hutch, we go back 0-0. They were completely overloading us that second half and Moores decision to move Windass back for a 5 across the midfield really helped

I think our tactical plan was almost working. We tried to shut the crowd up which we were doing. A mistake by Hutchinson led to them scoring. That bought them confidence and we had to ride it out. 

I'd rather have a chance of turning this tie round, rather than going to Hillsborough with the tie all but over. 

• Like 2

The key for me is that we are still in the game. Worth repeating the stat that in League 1 no team has come back from a first leg 2 goal deficit for 15 years. Though I reckon MK Dons may rectify that tomorrow.

The game was a reflection of our season, if we lose the midfield battle we struggle offensively. If we get placed under a lot of pressure, particularly down the flanks we concede a lot of chances. For Sams first half howler he saved another with a block from Roberts 

But its the fact there is a defensive laspe of concentration or mistake that really costs us. I get the ethos is retaining possession - look at the first half when we didn't do that and went long - but not when there is danger. The goal and the BPF header were the notable moments but there were several others if you dare watch the game back.

So all to play for and it will be fascinating how both sides approach the 2nd game 

And on the basis he starts a rendition of Oh Sammy will be appropriate. Lets back our players not get on their back.

I will debate the merits of a player in the team with anyone, but when that player puts on the Wednesday shirt I back them. I really didn't get the pre match angst about Palmer starting, in the end he was probably our best player 

So let's support Sam 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

He did. Byers is decent but when it's a game where we need legs in middle we've got 3 who, while technically very good, zero pace

1 hour ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

The key for me is that we are still in the game. Worth repeating the stat that in League 1 no team has come back from a first leg 2 goal deficit for 15 years. Though I reckon MK Dons may rectify that tomorrow.

The game was a reflection of our season, if we lose the midfield battle we struggle offensively. If we get placed under a lot of pressure, particularly down the flanks we concede a lot of chances. For Sams first half howler he saved another with a block from Roberts 

But its the fact there is a defensive laspe of concentration or mistake that really costs us. I get the ethos is retaining possession - look at the first half when we didn't do that and went long - but not when there is danger. The goal and the BPF header were the notable moments but there were several others if you dare watch the game back.

So all to play for and it will be fascinating how both sides approach the 2nd game 

This works for me