I thought I'd start a thread to monitor the movements of former Owls and progress of players we release.

I only recently noticed once former promising right back, Ash Baker, moved on from Newport County last summer and signed for The New Saints in the Welsh league https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ash_Baker 

UTO

Edited by Kingys Ginger Mullet

Nejc Pecnik, who failed to score in 10 starts for Wednesday, but did score against England, is finishing his career, aged 36, at the same club he started at as a youth player, Dravograd.  Scoring recently, according to…

http://novice.najdi.si/predogled/novica/f242eede7d8c1c4250d4556e181e31a0/Slovenski-nogometni-portal/Sport/Zavrč-prizadejal-Bistrici-tretji-poraz-to-pomlad-Dravograd-brez-Kogelnika-do-visoke-zmage

10 minutes ago, owl71 said:

Nejc Pecnik, who failed to score in 10 starts for Wednesday, but did score against England, is finishing his career, aged 36, at the same club he started at as a youth player, Dravograd.  Scoring recently, according to…

http://novice.najdi.si/predogled/novica/f242eede7d8c1c4250d4556e181e31a0/Slovenski-nogometni-portal/Sport/Zavrč-prizadejal-Bistrici-tretji-poraz-to-pomlad-Dravograd-brez-Kogelnika-do-visoke-zmage

Didn't he miss a penalty in the 2-4 win at Oldham in the League Cup?

2 hours ago, Canterburyowl said:

Rings a vague bell Reesh, whats Sergiu Bus up to these days?!

Free transfer after free transfer after free transfer. Now back in Romania at the club where he started. 

Had a couple of 1 in 3 seasons but the others have been shocking

• 2 months later...

Bored, so I looked up a few more former Owls to see what they are up to...

Vincent Sasso, currently at Boavista (decent move for him that!) following a previous couple of seasons in Portugal, post us, at Belenenses and 84 appearances for Servette.

Frederico Venancio - currently at Eibar in La Liga who have just been relegated to the 2nd tier, spells at other Iberian clubs, Vitoria Guimaraes and Lugo following us

Frederik Nielsen - just been released by Skive in Denmark, nice kid, hope he finds another club

Paul McLaren - currently NW Regional Scout at Man City

Luke Boden - currently playing for Orlando SeaWolves in the US Indoor league

Ben Sahar - still only 32! Currently plying his trade back home at Maccabi Haifa

Steve MacLean - first team coach at St Johnstone, passing on his finishing tips to Stevie May no doubt

Paul Heckingbottom - Pig Farmer

Tenuous link:

Yann Songo'o, brother of Franck Songo'o, currently in Bradford City's first team

• Like 1

1 hour ago, holmesfield_owl said:

His Wikipedia page is quite funny regarding his career and managers comments, mostly about food 

Remember him coming on as a sub in a game away at Derby and scoring a late equaliser, he whipped his shirt off and folks were shouting at him to put it back on 😆

16 hours ago, Reesh said:

Still got that scouse accent ?

No mate tbh, hes got a slight twang. I didn't recognise him at first, the labourer showed me a Wednesday pic of him and asked me if I rated him. Luckily I said he was decent because he was in ear shot. The lousy bastard tried to set me up. 

2 hours ago, Vialli said:

No mate tbh, hes got a slight twang. I didn't recognise him at first, the labourer showed me a Wednesday pic of him and asked me if I rated him. Luckily I said he was decent because he was in ear shot. The lousy bastard tried to set me up. 

What a thunderc**t

• Haha 2

Ryan Jones would have had a very good premier league career. Had the lot as a footballer, big and strong, very good in the air, cracking left foot, mobile.

I liked Tony Crane too, was never a central midfield player, remember is winning at Rotherham on New Years Day and he was immense.

2 hours ago, KrolMong said:

Ryan Jones would have had a very good premier league career. Had the lot as a footballer, big and strong, very good in the air, cracking left foot, mobile.

I liked Tony Crane too, was never a central midfield player, remember is winning at Rotherham on New Years Day and he was immense.

Once watched Ryan Jones go pint for pint with my cousin drinking pints of Guinness, he must have had 10, was playing for us at the time unall

2 hours ago, KrolMong said:

Jones never had pace but had everything else. In most other eras he would have stood out for us.  Sad for him and, we realised later, for us when he had to pack in early. 

1 hour ago, Otto_Man said:

Once watched Ryan Jones go pint for pint with my cousin drinking pints of Guinness, he must have had 10, was playing for us at the time unall

1 hour ago, Owling_Wolf said:

Jones never had pace but had everything else. In most other eras he would have stood out for us.  Sad for him and, we realised later, for us when he had to pack in early. 

On 16/07/2022 at 08:54, Vialli said:

I almost put my foot in it at the speedway once.

I got chatting with a lady on the terraces at Owlerton and we were talking about the Edinburgh team. I said we'd used quite a few riders that season but a number of them hadn't been up to much. I mentioned 2 or 3 names at that point.

She then says, "my son is a speedway rider"

"Who's that?" I politely asked

"James Birkinshaw"

Fortunately, I didn't include him in my list of duffers as I actually thought he was ok. Could've turned out quite embarrassing!

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Last season's Owls in Week 1:

Shodipo - started for QPR v Blackburn, subbed on 66mins

Storey - played the full 90 for Preston at Wigan

BPF - on the Burnley bench

Corbeanu - came on in the 83rd minute for Blackpool at home to Reading

Hutch (and Joao) - neither played for Reading

Wildsmith / Mendez Languid - full 90 for Joe, ML played 86 mins

Dunkley - full 90 for Shrewsbury at Morecambe

John-Jules - sub, came on in the 59th minute for Ipswich

Loan watch:

Brennan - started, subbed off on 69 in a 3-0 Swindon loss at Harrogate

3 hours ago, Kingys Ginger Mullet said:

Last season's Owls in Week 1:

Shodipo - started for QPR v Blackburn, subbed on 66mins

Storey - played the full 90 for Preston at Wigan

BPF - on the Burnley bench

Corbeanu - came on in the 83rd minute for Blackpool at home to Reading

Hutch (and Joao) - neither played for Reading

Wildsmith / Mendez Languid - full 90 for Joe, ML played 86 mins

Dunkley - full 90 for Shrewsbury at Morecambe

John-Jules - sub, came on in the 59th minute for Ipswich

Loan watch:

Brennan - started, subbed off on 69 in a 3-0 Swindon loss at Harrogate

What time did he go off injured?

• 1 month later...

Another goal for Richard Wood yesterday.  

Theo got the winner for Blackpool this afternoon.  

Shaw made his debut for Morecambe without getting subbed yesterday.  

Penney also played the whole 90 for Motherwell in the pub league.

Berahinho came on with half an hour to go in a 0-2 home defeat for Cypriot relegation candidates AEL Limassol.

Fessi’s team still undefeated and winning the Malaysian league easily, he’s 2nd top scorer behind Brazilian team mate Bergson.

7 hours ago, LiamOwl said:

Had a quick flick through their lineups earlier and noticed Brennan has been getting little or no game time at Swindon. 

Be a shame for him to stagnate after he showed promise for us last season. 

I think he started their first couple of games and was subbed off both times, as they shipped a few goals. Since then he’s been on the bench. As you say, it’s a shame. Hopefully he’ll work his way back into the team. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Supercockle said:

I think he started their first couple of games and was subbed off both times, as they shipped a few goals. Since then he’s been on the bench. As you say, it’s a shame. Hopefully he’ll work his way back into the team. 

as far as I understand, it's injury related

Ciaran Brennan still out for Swindon ahead of Leyton Orient visit | NewsChain (newschainonline.com)

• Like 1