The weekend fixtures

Scenarios for this weekend then

Us v West Brom

QPR v Leeds (Fri)

Udders v Brum

Millwall v Plymouth

Blackburn v Coventry

Southampton v Stoke

The one certain outcome is if Udders lose they are relegated. You do think at least one of those will drop, but there are scenarios where both could survive

For the rest 53 points guarantees safety, invariably that will drop to 52 or even 51 after this round of games. Whilst the balance of probability favours Stoke and QPR surviving those fixtures look daunting. 

A win for us is requisite of course, but our poor goal difference creates the jeopardy on getting to 50 points and still being relegated.

It is Championship madness that at round 45/46 half the fixtures impact the relegation picture 

• Like 2

Whilst the play off system does get derided, the benefit of keeping seasons alive cannot be discounted.

Only 3 games, those at Bristol City, Cardiff and Watford are dead rubbers. And only 8 definite Championship teams for 2024/25 (currently in there), 9 if you include Pompey, 10 with the Pigs that are joining 

• Like 2

I've a feeling that Plymouth might end up going down, Millwall away on Saturday who are playing very well and will want to complete there home games on a high and then following weekend Plymouth are at home to Hull who are a decent side, Plymouth fans celebrated the win over Leicester as though it was job done but I think they will go into last game needing a win to guarantee survival.

49 minutes ago, owl4ever1867 said:

Just my opinion but the worse thing Huddersfield did was get rid of Worthington.

It's to our gain as the new guy appears to be totally out of his depth.

Yeah. It’s a fair shout but, although he started well, their form started turning south before he left IIRC

1 hour ago, owl4ever1867 said:

Just my opinion but the worse thing Huddersfield did was get rid of Worthington.

It's to our gain as the new guy appears to be totally out of his depth.

They didn't get rid of Worthington ffs he didn't want the job and prefers his academy role.

Just now, owl4ever1867 said:

Only going off what I've been told Reesh, that's all.

Reading their forum, the entitled *****, there are countless posters suggesting Worthington didn't want the top job, much like Neil Thompson at ours who will step up and step in if needed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NorwichOwl said:

Wednesday will win on Saturday and Huddersfield and Birmingham will draw. I don't care what happens after that and it'll be a happy stress-free trip to the Stadium of Light for the lads making the trip.

We would still need a point, unless we happen to beat WBA 20-0. 

2 hours ago, NorwichOwl said:

Wednesday will win on Saturday and Huddersfield and Birmingham will draw. I don't care what happens after that and it'll be a happy stress-free trip to the Stadium of Light for the lads making the trip.

I simply don't get that thinking.

If Brum get a draw at Udders they can get 50 points and have a better goal difference already. By definition if they win and we lose in the final game the goal difference gets worse.

Similarly if Huddersfield win, the goal difference is less but still better and as above the swing would arise

Stoke and QPR are on 50 points and a better goal difference 

Plymouth and Blackburn get a win they are above us.

I hate to tell you, there are 3 relegation places and with my maths we would be in one of them if we lost at Sunderland and the fairly plausible other scenarios resulted.

A win v West Brom guarantees fuck all stress free 

Brum will beat Norwich on final day as they’ll be resting before the play offs.

And it’s more than likely that Hull will be out of it, and will lose at Plymouth.

But Ipswich will want to finish on a high. They’ll beat Huddersfield.

Best scenario for us is to win (obviously) and Huddersfield to beat Brum. We’ll only need a point at Sunderland, and then only if Ipswich let us down.

If we can be heading to Sunderland outside bottom three by a gnats whisker after these fixtures then I think that’s an incredible feat that had seemed close but yet so far away a few times. After Stoke, barely possible but Rotherham and Steve Evans was the wildcard alongside the Blackburn result. Needed both of those coupon busters.

The feeling of being out of the relegation zone and just having to stay out rather the envisaged scenario of needing everything to go our way last day to climb out miraculously would be so good, even if we still need a result. 

I don't question any of the above, but it would be great to win Saturday but its no cause for any celebration as the job will not be done 

Beyond a quick lap of the pitch to acknowledge the supporters, then back inside to re-focus

I appreciate I am a miserable fucker but hearing about folk taking inflatables and creating a "party" atmosphere - what fucking planet are these numpties on

Ok its probably the "we had a nice day out at Wembley" shit for brains people in our so called fan base. 

2 hours ago, mkowl said:

I appreciate I am a miserable fucker but hearing about folk taking inflatables and creating a "party" atmosphere - what fucking planet are these numpties on

Indeed. I remember Peterborough’s pitch invasion after they beat us (around a decade ago). No one should celebrate until the job is done. 

Edited by Gamblor

It would be good going to Sunderland knowing we could stay up even if we lost but half of me thinks it's a good thing we could still need to get something to sharpen the players wits. Suspect the table may change about 20 times over the next two weeks. Exciting but shitty in equal amounts

On 23/04/2024 at 13:25, Reesh said:

Reading their forum, the entitled *****, there are countless posters suggesting Worthington didn't want the top job, much like Neil Thompson at ours who will step up and step in if needed.

Lot of mileage in this for stop gap Academy / Reserve Coaches.   Why run the risk of a more or less security of job for a possible few month stint in the top job only to be bulleted !

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gamblor said:

Indeed. I remember Peterborough’s pitch invasion after they beat us (around a decade ago). No one should celebrate until the job is done. 

Good shout. Yes, I remember that: not just cocky but obnoxious with it.  An even better reason for not swapping places with them now. Or Dingles. Or Derby...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mkowl said:

I don't question any of the above, but it would be great to win Saturday but its no cause for any celebration as the job will not be done 

Beyond a quick lap of the pitch to acknowledge the supporters, then back inside to re-focus

Ok its probably the "we had a nice day out at Wembley" shit for brains people in our so called fan base. 

I agree with that. However, I am still enjoying the fook out of last Sunday's win and day out, just in case we don't get anything else to celebrate!  "Do it now."   😋

21 hours ago, Gamblor said:

I went to that game and theres a barge moored on the river that's open as a bar, all the Posh fans were in their after the game in very high spirits, I texted a mate of mine to say I was on a barge with celebrating Peterborough fans, the Saturday after I got a text back from him saying "they won't be celebrating on the barge this week" 😀

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, 80s Owl said:

I went to that game and theres a barge moored on the river that's open as a bar, all the Posh fans were in their after the game in very high spirits, I texted a mate of mine to say I was on a barge with celebrating Peterborough fans, the Saturday after I got a text back from him saying "they won't be celebrating on the barge this week" 😀

More like jumping off of it!  😋

We tried to get in there before the semi: absolutely full and queuing.  After the 4-0 disaster we couldn't wait to get out of town. I can't even imagine what they felt like after the second leg!  After it I was waiting at traffic lights, on my ecstatic and eventual way home. I happened to notice a small family of Peterborough fans slowly walk past like they were in a trance: mum, dad and a little girl.  She was all dressed up in their stuff. They'd all got that Thousand Yard Stare, not speaking.  I actually felt sorry for them, the way they looked. I wouldn't have swapped places with them, though!  

• Like 1