Players Out Of Contract

If in the Championship would offer deals to Bannan, Bernard, Iorfa, Vaulks and maybe Palmer.

For League One would add Byers and Johnson to the list.

Undecided on Dawson but would be as number two. 

Brennan, Gregory, James, Wilks, Windass and Bakinson to be released regardless of Division and Johnson and Byers if we stay in Championship.

I thought Bambo was on loan.  So we need to endure him another year ?

47 minutes ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

If in the Championship would offer deals to Bannan, Bernard, Iorfa, Vaulks and maybe Palmer.

Brennan, Gregory, James, Wilks, Windass and Bakinson to be released regardless of Division and Johnson and Byers if we stay in Championship.

Bambo will take the piss in League One, they don't press properly.

Keep Vaulks.

Bernard won't stay whatever we do.

Iorfa needs to go, too injury prone.

Offer Bannan and Palmer League 1 average pay for a year, take it or leave it. If Bannan wants to do his coaching, he gets £11.44 per hour with the other apprentices.

2 hours ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

1 hour ago, mkowl said:

I can see Bannan getting another contract simply because Chansiri seems to like him 

Vaulks deserves another contract for 2 years 

I didn't realise that Dawson was 29 

Dawson won't be here.

1 hour ago, mkowl said:

I can see Bannan getting another contract simply because Chansiri seems to like him 

Think Chansiri may have seen the light this season with regard to 'his' players, hence no new contracts yet.

Anybody picking anyone from that list, apart from Vaulks and Bernard, regardless of which division we're in isn't building for the future. 

If we're in L1 then we have to follow the Ipswich route and go young, fast, and agile. There are players in there, spread of a lot of clubs, that could gel together and compete in the Championship. Not give Palmer, Iorfa, Bannan, Johnson etc another just to get us out then have to start the rebuild when the prices go up

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

Anybody picking anyone from that list, apart from Vaulks and Bernard, regardless of which division we're in isn't building for the future. 

If we're in L1 then we have to follow the Ipswich route and go young, fast, and agile. There are players in there, spread of a lot of clubs, that could gel together and compete in the Championship. Not give Palmer, Iorfa, Bannan, Johnson etc another just to get us out then have to start the rebuild when the prices go up

Vaulks I'd keep & make Captain.

I can't see Bernard staying if we go down Ty.

1 hour ago, owl4ever1867 said:

can't see Bernard staying if we go down Ty.

If we're in L1 then a Championship club will pick him up but if we're still in the Championship and he thinks he can get regular football at a lower end Prem or top end Championship club then he needs a reality check on why we were the only ones to offer him a contract this season and a one year at that 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tylluan said:

If we're in L1 then a Championship club will pick him up but if we're still in the Championship and he thinks he can get regular football at a lower end Prem or top end Championship club then he needs a reality check on why we were the only ones to offer him a contract this season and a one year at that 

Thought the one year was what he requested?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kiwi Owl said:

Thought the one year was what he requested?

He inly wanted a 1 year deal.

He's openly said that this is a stepping stone to a better club.

Think the Kasey Palmer incident put the kibosh on him staying, he was proper pissed off about it and they play together for Jamaica.

1 hour ago, Tewksbury said:

He inly wanted a 1 year deal.

He's openly said that this is a stepping stone to a better club.

Think the Kasey Palmer incident put the kibosh on him staying, he was proper pissed off about it and they play together for Jamaica.

He can fuck off then. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mkowl said:

He can fuck off then. 

why?

I and others said at the time it will have a marked effect on the potential recruitment in January, and you can't blame a player who's admitted to using the club as a stepping stone not wishing to be here (if that is true) especially as it was his mate that was on the receiving end

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Andyben said:

why?

I and others said at the time it will have a marked effect on the potential recruitment in January, and you can't blame a player who's admitted to using the club as a stepping stone not wishing to be here (if that is true) especially as it was his mate that was on the receiving end

Admire the honesty to be honest.

Better than having badge kissing wasters staying for years because they can't get a better deal anywhere else and making out that it's loyalty.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tylluan said:

Agreed. Decent but IMO a little overrated by many.

2 hours ago, Andyben said:

why?

Easy - no player is bigger than the Club 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, EastCraigsOwl said:

Bannan's not even bigger than a skirting board, let alone the Club.

This club has been Bannan's own personal playground for him and his mates for a while now.

Any manager who tries different gets screwed over. 

We'll see a different club once he's gone.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, mkowl said:

Easy - no player is bigger than the Club 

7 minutes ago, Andyben said:

Is that what you took out of the comments made?

So he should accept his mate being racially abused and sign a new contract to stay because he's 'not bigger than the club'

3 hours ago, Andyben said:

why?

I didn't agree with this at the time you posted it, money will override anything with these people (Footballers by the way, i shouldn't have to put that, but just in case anybody wanted to think something else)

30 minutes ago, Andyben said:

So he should accept his mate being racially abused and sign a new contract to stay because he's 'not bigger than the club'

And i don't agree with this being used, just when it suits (Not by you by the way)

After Coventry racially abused a Stoke player in January 2022.

Casey Palmer signed for Coventry in June 2022.

31 minutes ago, MAL said:

I didn't agree with this at the time you posted it, money will override anything with these people (Footballers by the way, i shouldn't have to put that, but just in case anybody wanted to think something else)

Not always.

Younger players looking to move up would rather take a better opportunity than money. They're better off taking a L1 promotion challenger than a relegation favourite as they'll make it up on their next contract. 

Doesn't matter how much money you chuck at them if they're going to be getting battered every game and can't showcase their talents.

The Arsenal lad who we were linked with said it, where he went was where he was going to score more goals.

21 minutes ago, Tewksbury said:

Not always.

Younger players looking to move up would rather take a better opportunity than money. They're better off taking a L1 promotion challenger than a relegation favourite as they'll make it up on their next contract. 

Doesn't matter how much money you chuck at them if they're going to be getting battered every game and can't showcase their talents.

The Arsenal lad who we were linked with said it, where he went was where he was going to score more goals.

Where did he go?

7 minutes ago, MAL said:

Where did he go?

Mika Biereth, went to Sturm Graz in Austria.

Scored 8 goals in 15 games in all competitions so far.

.said in an interview after he signed there that it was where he was going to score more goals and win more games.

He can do as he pleases, I don't give a shit about any player whether they stay or go, if that be Bannan or anyone

Like I say if he doesn;t want to play here for any reason, then fuck off. We'll recruit someone else. I don't buy the player loyalty, badge pointing shite for any player, they would fuck their own granny if they thought it would help progress their career 

I'd rather have 1 young player, here for a year giving 100% for a season in the hope of a move to a better club than a squad of 30+ year old players half arsing it on 3 year contracts knowing that the only way is down after it runs out.

2 hours ago, Tewksbury said:

On a different note, no current senior international is going to stay on in L1.

Delgado may, but his age and hav8ng most of this year off has probably done for him anyway.

I'd expect Joey Phuthi to stay on.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, MAL said:

And i don't agree with this being used, just when it suits (Not by you by the way)

After Coventry racially abused a Stoke player in January 2022.

Casey Palmer signed for Coventry in June 2022.

Agree makes no difference to signings and to Bernard staying. Bernard signed a one year deal in the summer and as people said to use the club as a stepping stone. He made his mind up last summer he was coming for a year to get himself a better move.

Good luck to him, from what ive seen of him he will get a Championship club not much better than we've been since Rohl arrived. 

I'd be happy enough if we offered terms to:

Bannan - one year reduced wages.

Palmer - one year. Not a world beater but very useful utility player

Vaulks - one/two years. Tidy squad player.

Bernard - two years but wouldn't break the bank to keep him.

You could make a case for Iorfa but injury record is a concern.

IMO we need to continue with the policy of last summer - recruiting players that have potential to improve and become assets of value. That said it's a process that isn't realistic to expect to be totally completed in the summer window so some players will need to be retained for a bit longer than some fans would like.

56 minutes ago, Tewksbury said:

I'd rather have 1 young player, here for a year giving 100% for a season in the hope of a move to a better club than a squad of 30+ year old players half arsing it on 3 year contracts knowing that the only way is down after it runs out.

I think somewhere in between those two extremes would be in order!!

We were in crisis mode last summer with the prolonged season and with Mooregate. Personally I think we may well have moved on from Bernard but for those factors. I would expect - certainly hope - that it's  sorted one way or the other very early in the summer. Either commit for 2/3 years or we move on quickly to other targets.

11 minutes ago, Teddy Nickelarse said:

I think somewhere in between those two extremes would be in order!!

We were in crisis mode last summer with the prolonged season and with Mooregate. Personally I think we may well have moved on from Bernard but for those factors. I would expect - certainly hope - that it's  sorted one way or the other very early in the summer. Either commit for 2/3 years or we move on quickly to other targets.

We had 11 days from the Monday after Spain when we made our first signing to the first game v Southampton the following Friday.

We'd already missed pretty much everyone by then. A few panic loans to make up the numbers and a few good, long term signings. Didn't help that in the 2 positions of need, LB and CF, DM had already signed Johnson, James and Gregory, possibly blocking better alternatives.

In my head, Bernard has always been lumped in with the loans.

3 minutes ago, Tewksbury said:

We had 11 days from the Monday after Spain when we made our first signing to the first game v Southampton the following Friday.

We'd already missed pretty much everyone by then. A few panic loans to make up the numbers and a few good, long term signings. Didn't help that in the 2 positions of need, LB and CF, DM had already signed Johnson, James and Gregory, possibly blocking better alternatives.

In my head, Bernard has always been lumped in with the loans.

Yes to all intents and purposes it's been equivalent to a one year loan in the last year of his contract. 

This summer we need DR to commence the rebuild expediently after season's end. I expect him to stay BTW but it's imperative that DC nails this down or acts quickly if he did leave.

5 minutes ago, Teddy Nickelarse said:

Yes to all intents and purposes it's been equivalent to a one year loan in the last year of his contract. 

This summer we need DR to commence the rebuild expediently after season's end. I expect him to stay BTW but it's imperative that DC nails this down or acts quickly if he did leave.

All those bashing Chansiri for the summer, DM was on record talking about talking to new recruits before the playoff final, so there was obviously a recruitment plan in place and underway before the end of last season.

It would be interesting to find out who they were and what happened to that plan.

We have recruited for a 4231/433 for the last few years, we couldn't play it because we had to accommodate senior players. 

I expect that there's a plan in place and it will be actioned whether Röhl stays or goes, with someone like Pedersen or another Red Bull type manager brought in to carry it on.

8 minutes ago, Teddy Nickelarse said:

Yes with this season's experience behind him and with progression over the summer Cadamarteri especially could be a real handful for League 1 defenders.

Cadamarteri, Gassama and Musaba pressing and running at L1 defenders after this season's opposition will be filthy.

With Smith and Pato for a bit of physical shithousery v big park the bus teams, there's no reason that attack wouldn't get us straight back up.

Not to mention whoever comes in.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Tewksbury said:

All those bashing Chansiri for the summer, DM was on record talking about talking to new recruits before the playoff final, so there was obviously a recruitment plan in place and underway before the end of last season.

It would be interesting to find out who they were and what happened to that plan.

We have recruited for a 4231/433 for the last few years, we couldn't play it because we had to accommodate senior players. 

I expect that there's a plan in place and it will be actioned whether Röhl stays or goes, with someone like Pedersen or another Red Bull type manager brought in to carry it on.

Some look to bash DC at every turn. Draw/defeat, missed chances, keeper error, racist fans (irony), piss on toilet seat..........

Wins are in spite of him, recruiting Xisco was inept, recruiting DR was luck, recruiting DR's support team is not to be acknowledged. Your experience on the other forum confirms all this.

2 hours ago, mkowl said:

He can do as he pleases, I don't give a shit about any player whether they stay or go, if that be Bannan or anyone

Like I say if he doesn;t want to play here for any reason, then fuck off. We'll recruit someone else. I don't buy the player loyalty, badge pointing shite for any player, they would fuck their own granny if they thought it would help progress their career 

Listen, Kev, it's cool. Lots of people from your generation are  the  same. 

Its out of step with most people now but we understand it's not your fault, it's just growing up in the 70's made you that way

5 minutes ago, Teddy Nickelarse said:

Some look to bash DC at every turn. Draw/defeat, missed chances, keeper error, racist fans (irony), piss on toilet seat..........

Wins are in spite of him, recruiting Xisco was inept, recruiting DR was luck, recruiting DR's support team is not to be acknowledged. Your experience on the other forum confirms all this.

The thing is, the work on player identification and targets was done to an extent that we let Downes go to Blackpool, job done, well before the end of the season.

I fully expect it to be the same this season.

Bernard is important to us in that if he gets a decent contract elsewhere, and if other loans like Ugbo or Poveda kick on to better things, this will only help us in the market this summer.

Listen, Kev, it's cool. Lots of people from your generation are  the  same. 

Its out of step with most people now but we understand it's not your fault, it's just growing up in the 70's made you that way

To note my comments are nothing about the racism issue and his stand against it. It was more about him wanting to use the club as a stepping stone I was reacting to. But I don't want to spoil your assertions trying to infer racism by stating the reality of the situation.

And yes growing up in the 70s and early 80s in a 99.5% white area of Sheffield there was overt racism, Hillsborough had overt racism. However us children of that era did call it out, the acceptance of black players came from our generation more than any other, the re-education of our parents came from our generation.

But apart from that we are all still racists apparently. 

3 hours ago, Tewksbury said:

would be interesting to find out who they were and what happened to that plan.

The fact that we offered so many (thanks for getting us promoted) extensions and brought James in from Blackpool suggests that was the plan all along. 

Moore was never going to be the man to rip that team apart and go with youth. That's why there was all this talk about the plans were already in place and agreed on. Couldn't do that without a load of pre-agreements and/or a fair amount of tapping up. 

33 minutes ago, mkowl said:

However us children of that era did call it out, the acceptance of black players came from our generation more than any other, the re-education of our parents came from our generation.

I'm sure you've said in other threads, probably the one on the Cov  /Palmer situation that you participated in the songs/ chants back in the day?

Anyhow, the point was that he's apparently leaving because of that gross event not because he's saying he's bigger than the club, and despite his assertion his contract was always seen as a stepping stone for his career it's more than fair to assume that what happened to his mate is the primary deciding factor as to whether he stayed or not.

According to Ty apart from a Turkish team, (IIRC) no other club has actively and consistently  been reviewing his performance data which tends to show that he's not on anyones radar