Jump to content

30 years ago


Chelters

Recommended Posts

I know cheat unfortunately had to step away from doing his brilliant 30 years ago threads, but for some reason I was thinking about that season as a bit of a comfort to our poor start.

Didn’t score in our first 4 games, no win in our first 7 and only one win in our first 13. We finished 7th.

Also got me thinking, although I have just given all the spoilers above, I could try and revive the ‘30 years ago’ using my infamous programme collection.

What do we think?

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

Tbf the ending wasn't great and took me many years to get over, so it was a relief not to re-live it 

Hope you are ok - having been in similar shoes Dad wise 

 

 

 

Yes, I’m ok thanks.

It just takes it out of you doesn’t it?

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Chelters said:

I know cheat unfortunately had to step away from doing his brilliant 30 years ago threads, but for some reason I was thinking about that season as a bit of a comfort to our poor start.

Didn’t score in our first 4 games, no win in our first 7 and only one win in our first 13. We finished 7th.

Also got me thinking, although I have just given all the spoilers above, I could try and revive the ‘30 years ago’ using my infamous programme collection.

What do we think?

Would be great if you have the time and motivation 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Right then here we go with season 1993/94. First let’s set the scene a bit.....

 

The Owls had finished the inaugural Premier League season in a creditable 7th place, but of course the main story of the season was the double cup final defeats to Arsenal, the second in the most harrowing of circumstances as Andy Linighan won the FA Cup for the Gunners in the last minute of extra time of the replay. A real ‘sliding doors’ moment if ever there was one.

 

But there was no doubt that Wednesday’s quality had been noticed by the wider world of football, including Chris Waddle winning the Football Writers’ Footballer of the Year award. This was evidenced further as the BBC asked their top 8 pundits who they thought would be Premier League champions for the upcoming season and two of them said ‘ Sheffield Wednesday’. There was no doubt at this time that the Owls were considered one of the top teams in the country.

 

The close season had been relatively quiet in terms of transfer activity. Leaving the club were two stalwarts of our multi-Wembley campaign, Viv Anderson and Danny Wilson, who went to form a new coaching team at Barnsley. Surely neither of them would ever make it as a manager......

 

When Wednesday announced their first summer signing, a defender named Pearce, some of us briefly read the headline and thought it was Stuart, who would not have been an unrealistic signing at the time. Alas it was the slightly less celebrated Andy Pearce, forever known as an ex-hod carrier, recruited for £500k from Coventry to give the team a bit more height and strength at the back. The other signing was more exciting as England centre back Des Walker joined for £2.75m after a disappointing season in Italy with Sampdoria. Quite a coup for the Owls and a sign that the club really was able to attract the top talent.

 

And so the Owls set out for the second season in the Premier League (now known as the FA Carling Premiership following a sponsorship deal with the ‘most popular lager in Britain’). A new kit deal with Puma (then new to the football kit game) saw two new kits appear, the home kit with blue shorts and broken white stripes on the sleeves, the away kit all black with thin gold stripes on the shirt (still one of my favourite Wednesday kits of all time). Also appearing for the first time were squad numbers, something we are all very used to now but felt very different at the time. 

 

There was a genuine feeling that the club were going places and an exciting season was in prospect. Hopefully the Owls would have shaken off the hangover of the cup final defeat and could launch into a positive start.....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Saturday 14 August 1993

Liverpool (away)

 

And so the season began with the Owls travelling to Anfield hoping to continue the strong progress of the previous few seasons. With such a high degree of optimism there was only one thing that could happen – a deflating opening day defeat.

 

Defenders Pearce and Walker were both given debuts for the Owls, whilst the hosts saw their new signings Neil Ruddock and Nigel Clough appearing for the first time. 

 

It took precisely 12 minutes for the bubble to burst as Carlton Palmer went in strongly on Jan Molby and, having survived the prospect of being flattened by the fall of the Danish midfielder, was presented with a red card by referee Gerald Ashby. From then on it was always going to be an uphill task against a team who, even at a relatively low ebb in their recent history, could still boast a strong home record, and so it proved.

 

The scores remained level until just before half time when debutant Clough smashed a shot in off the bar following good build-up play from Jones and Nicol. Then, just a minute after half-time, Ruddock’s header was palmed out by Woods for Clough to swivel and score his second from close range. 

 

Wednesday kept going with Paul Warhurst in particular getting chances throughout the game but either couldn’t find the target or were thwarted by future Owls legend Bruce Grobbelaar. Mr Ashby also turned down a decent penalty appeal when Warhurst was brought down by the Liverpool keeper but couldn’t bring himself to give the decision – strange about that home record wasn’t it?

 

So a disappointing start to the season but, ultimately, it was hard to really take any conclusions from the game with such an early sending-off.

 

Final score : Liverpool 2-0 Wednesday

 

Liverpool : Grobbelaar, Jones, Bjornebye, Nicol, Wright, Ruddock, Clough, Whelan, Rush, Molby (Redknapp 75), Walters, Unused subs : McManaman, Hooper.

 

Wednesday : Woods, Nilsson, King, Palmer, Walker, Pearce, Worthington, Bart-Williams (Hyde 56), Hirst, Warhurst (Bright 82), Sheridan. Unused sub : Pressman 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wednesday 18 August 1993

Aston Villa (home)

 

Following that disappointing opening day defeat at Anfield, the opening home game of the season arrived on a warm midweek night, with our old friend Ron Atkinson bringing his Aston Villa team to Hillsborough for the third time since his controversial departure, having taken the points back to Birmingham on each of the previous two occasions.

 

These were the days before suspensions kicked in instantly so Carlton Palmer was able to keep his place for the time being in the Owls’ midfield. There was only one change to the previous line-up as young midfielder Graham Hyde was brought in for Chris Bart-Williams. For their part, Villa arrived with a decent squad including wily old pros such as Paul McGrath, Garry Parker and new signing Andy Townsend.

 

It turned into a frustrating evening for the Owls as they struggled to play their entertaining brand of football. Both teams had chances to win the game and had a goal disallowed each. Firstly, John Sheridan calmly finished from a Palmer through ball but was denied by an offside flag. Next, the visitors were similarly denied after Dean Saunders fired home from a Dalian Atkinson pass.

 

Warhurst, Hirst and Sheridan all had half decent chances whilst, for Villa, Daley and Saunders were also off-target when they could have scored. The closest either team came in the closing stages was a Hyde lob that just cleared the crossbar.

 

Ultimately a point was probably a fair result and the Owls would have to look elsewhere for their first win and first goal. Up next? Arsenal, oh goody.

 

Final score : Wednesday 0-0 Aston Villa

 

Wednesday : Woods, Nilsson, King, Walker, Pearce, Sheridan, Hyde, Palmer, Worthington, Hirst (Bright 85), Warhurst. Unused subs : Bart-Williams, Pressman.

 

Villa : Spink, Barrett, Staunton, Teale, McGrath, Daley, Richardson, Townsend (Cowans 28), Froggatt, Atkinson, Saunders. Unused subs : Whittingham, Oakes.

 

Attendance 28,450.

IMG_1872.thumb.jpeg.5a2866a03bd66c5e72b7a23b6ce3dd5f.jpegIMG_1873.thumb.jpeg.3a02329460ed116d8e4103d1aec87f4b.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Saturday 21 August 1993

Arsenal (home)

 

With optimism having been sapped somewhat by a single point and no goals from the first two games, the last team that Wednesday fans wanted to see rolling up to Hillsborough was their nemesis of the previous season, Arsenal. But there was cause for excitement as the Owls were successful in seeing off the Gunners in the race to sign England winger Andy Sinton from QPR for £2.7m, who was brought into the team immediately against the club he could have signed for (and maybe wishes he had....)

 

By this stage there had also been more outgoings with popular American midfielder joining Derby, Peter Shirtliff leaving for Wolves and forgotten striker David Johnson signing for Lincoln.

 

So to the match, and it was another game where Wednesday just couldn’t get going and were frustrated by their opponents. Arsenal went in front as early as the 9th minute when Kevin Campbell pounced on a Hyde back pass and set up his strike partner Ian Wright for a simple tap-in. Not the first time Wright had scored against us of course, and it was certainly not to be the last....

 

The Arsenal of this era under George Graham were definitely not a team you wanted to go behind to, as they were quite happy to rely on their defence to soak up pressure then use their pace up front on the counter. This was more or less the pattern of the rest of the game as the hosts tried to eke out chances but struggled to create anything clear-cut. Hyde, Hirst and Warhurst all had half-chances and Mark Bright was introduced in the second half for some more aerial power. But the Gunners remained dangerous on the break and were just as likely to get a second as the Owls were to equalise.

 

And so it finished in that familiar refrain 1-0 to the Arsenal, actually the only time the Gunners managed a win at Hillsborough in the ‘Premier League era’ as it is now known. Wednesday’s hunt for a win and a goal continued......

 

Final score Wednesday 0-1 Arsenal

 

Wednesday : Woods, King (Bright 67), Worthington, Pearce, Walker, Sheridan (Bart-Williams 67), Sinton, Palmer, Hyde, Hirst, Warhurst. Unused sub : Pressman

 

Arsenal : Seaman, Keown, Winterburn, Adams, Linighan, Parlour (Merson 76), Jensen, Davis, McGoldrick, Campbell, Wright. Unused subs : Selley, Miller.

 

Attendance 26,023
 

IMG_1874.thumb.jpeg.06f40155b742711aebfe272abe2449a6.jpegIMG_1875.thumb.jpeg.02c663edf384b129e2030725b7dc5b70.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Gleadless Owl said:

90 Minutes tipped us for the title as well, Walker being their main reason adding to a quality squad. How Andy Pearce was considered an upgrade on Pearson I'll never understand 

Andy Pearce

The same post season, Patrick Andersson left Blackburn Rovers to sign for Borussia Monchengladbach for £50,000 more than what we paid for Pearce. I was surprised we never went for him given there was title aspirations back then as that Blackburn side were a far better outfit than Coventry. I think they replaced Andersson with Ian Pearce who ended up being a gamble paid off from Chelsea. 

Also, QPR got the better deal from us as they used the Sinton money to sign a young Trevor Sinclair from Blackpool who was getting rave reviews. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wednesday 25 August 1993

West Ham United (away)

 

Wednesday travelled down to the capital for a midweek fixture with just a single point and no goals from their opening three encounters. Their opponents West Ham were also on a single point and had become a bit of a yo-yo club over recent years, being relegated in 1989, promoted again alongside the Owls in 1991, relegated again in 1992 (thereby missing out on being founder members of the Premier League) and immediately promoted again in 1993.

 

Having had a relatively tough opening three fixtures, at Anfield, then against the previous season’s second placed team Aston Villa, and the old arch nemesis Arsenal, surely a fixture against a newly promoted team still adjusting to life back in the top flight would give Wednesday the ideal opportunity to finally breathe some life into their season? Well, don’t forger this is Sheffield Wednesday we’re talking about here.

 

There was both positive and negative news on the injury front. Chris Waddle made his first appearance of the season having got injured just before the opening fixture, and club captain Nigel Pearson returned off the bench after a 7-month injury lay-off. On the other side of the coin, both John Sheridan and Andy Pearce were ruled out, the latter meaning that Carlton Palmer dropped into the back four and Chris Bart-Williams returned in midfield.

 

Wearing their new black away strip for the first time due to an, er, obvious clash with the Hammers’ claret and blue, the Owls soon got the hosts on the back foot, with a fierce shot from Warhurst shaving the post. The second half continued in the same vein initially with both Hirst and Sinton denied by Ludek Miklosko. The game changed when both Warhurst and David Hirst went off injured; it was a strike partnership that would not be seen again and one that just wasn’t working for some reason. Was Warhurst preferred to Bright after his infamous strop before the FA Cup Final? We will never know.

 

With just 11 minutes left, West Ham took the lead as big defender Colin Foster headed towards goal from a corner, and there was veteran striker Clive Allen to knock it home. Just four minutes later came a second as Allen pounced on defensive sloppiness to score from a narrow angle.

 

And so the Owls were left to rue another defeat, and another game in which they failed to score despite creating some decent chances. The pre-season optimism and dreams of Premiership glory suddenly seemed a long way away.

 

Final score West Ham 2-0 Wednesday

 

West Ham : Miklosko, Breacker, Dicks, Potts, Foster, M.Allen, Butler, Rowland, Gordon (Holmes 83), C.Allen, Morley. Unused subs : Gale, Peyton.

 

Wednesday : Woods, Nilsson, Worthington, Palmer, Walker, Waddle, Sinton, Hyde, Bart-Williams, Hirst (Pearson 76), Warhurst (Bright 61). Unused sub : Pressman.

 

Attendance 19,441

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Saturday 28 August 1993

Chelsea (away)

 

And so we bring ourselves bang up to date (as it were) with a game that took place exactly 30 years ago, as Wednesday took to the capital for the second game running, this time to a Stamford Bridge that looks very different to the way it does now.

 

It had actually become a bit of a happy-hunting ground for the Owls, who had won their previous two league fixtures there, plus of course the famous victory in the first leg of the Rumbelows Cup Semi Final in 1991. The hosts were now under the player-management of Glenn Hoddle, who had joined following his successful stint in charge of Swindon Town, who he left after guiding to promotion. The Robins were at this point the only side keeping the Owls off bottom spot following a rather difficult start to their top flight season.

 

The Owls were forced into a couple of changes following the injuries to Hirst and Warhurst in the previous fixture, meaning a new strike partnership of Bright and Bart-Williams. Palmer reverted back to midfield, Sheridan returned after a knock and Nigel Pearson came in for his first start of the season. But the big news was that Warhurst had departed anyway after Wednesday accepted a £2.7m transfer bid from Blackburn to end a somewhat protracted transfer saga that had been going on since the summer.

 

Whatever you say about Mark Bright you couldn’t deny that he was a consistent goalscorer, and it was therefore probably no surprise that he was the one to finally end the Owls’ goal drought. Worthington did well on the left and when Bright’s first effort was saved by Dimitri Kharine, the striker was able to prod the rebound into the roof of the net. There was instant relief for Wednesday, who started to then look like the team everyone thought they were. Nilsson had a shot well saved by the be-joggersed Kharine and Sheridan shot over when he perhaps could have done better.

 

In a style that has become depressingly familiar over the years, the outcome of this period of dominance was, of course, a goal against the run of play for Chelsea as David Lee beat Woods from a Gavin Peacock cross. Thus the wind was firmly knocked out of the Owls’ sails and the rest of the game became more of a battle. That famous son of Ireland Tony Cascarino became the main goal threat for the hosts having one effort thud against the crossbar and another ruled out for offside. Things got particularly niggly in the second half and, with 76 minutes on the clock, Lee was sent off after kicking the ball away to earn a second yellow card. Sadly, Wednesday’s confidence was low and this incident could not spur them on for a winner despite the numerical advantage.

 

Still, it was a point on the road and finally the elusive first goal of the season. But with the winless run now stretching to 5 games the pressure to gain a victory to kickstart the season kept building. How much longer would it take?

 

Final score Chelsea 1-1 Wednesday

 

Chelsea : Kharine, Clarke, Donaghy, Johnsen, Kjeldbjerg, Hoddle, Myers (Lee 8), Newton, Wise, Peacock, Cascarino (Shipperley 80), Unused sub : Hitchcock.

 

Wednesday : Woods, Nilsson, Worthington, Pearson, Walker, Waddle, Sinton, Sheridan, Hyde, Bright, Bart-Williams, Unused subs : B.Linighan, Watson, Pressman.

Attendance 16,652

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As a small point of interest I have a signed ball that was bought for me as a 30th birthday present a few years ago (OK more than a few).

It’s got the signatures of both Sinton and Warhurst on it so must have come from that two week spell in August 93 when they were both at the club.

IMG_1876.thumb.jpeg.42007db13fff186abd2dab705e446c00.jpeg

Edited by Chelters
Link to comment
Share on other sites

There is a signed ball from the 93 semi final in our pub. I’ve been pestering landlady but Vialli has destroyed relations a little bit the twat.

 

I’ve had a look there not from 93 there from 2005.

Edited by Winco
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 28/08/2023 at 16:49, Chelters said:

Saturday 28 August 1993

Chelsea (away)

 

And so we bring ourselves bang up to date (as it were) with a game that took place exactly 30 years ago, as Wednesday took to the capital for the second game running, this time to a Stamford Bridge that looks very different to the way it does now.

 

It had actually become a bit of a happy-hunting ground for the Owls, who had won their previous two league fixtures there, plus of course the famous victory in the first leg of the Rumbelows Cup Semi Final in 1991. The hosts were now under the player-management of Glenn Hoddle, who had joined following his successful stint in charge of Swindon Town, who he left after guiding to promotion. The Robins were at this point the only side keeping the Owls off bottom spot following a rather difficult start to their top flight season.

 

The Owls were forced into a couple of changes following the injuries to Hirst and Warhurst in the previous fixture, meaning a new strike partnership of Bright and Bart-Williams. Palmer reverted back to midfield, Sheridan returned after a knock and Nigel Pearson came in for his first start of the season. But the big news was that Warhurst had departed anyway after Wednesday accepted a £2.7m transfer bid from Blackburn to end a somewhat protracted transfer saga that had been going on since the summer.

 

Whatever you say about Mark Bright you couldn’t deny that he was a consistent goalscorer, and it was therefore probably no surprise that he was the one to finally end the Owls’ goal drought. Worthington did well on the left and when Bright’s first effort was saved by Dimitri Kharine, the striker was able to prod the rebound into the roof of the net. There was instant relief for Wednesday, who started to then look like the team everyone thought they were. Nilsson had a shot well saved by the be-joggersed Kharine and Sheridan shot over when he perhaps could have done better.

 

In a style that has become depressingly familiar over the years, the outcome of this period of dominance was, of course, a goal against the run of play for Chelsea as David Lee beat Woods from a Gavin Peacock cross. Thus the wind was firmly knocked out of the Owls’ sails and the rest of the game became more of a battle. That famous son of Ireland Tony Cascarino became the main goal threat for the hosts having one effort thud against the crossbar and another ruled out for offside. Things got particularly niggly in the second half and, with 76 minutes on the clock, Lee was sent off after kicking the ball away to earn a second yellow card. Sadly, Wednesday’s confidence was low and this incident could not spur them on for a winner despite the numerical advantage.

 

Still, it was a point on the road and finally the elusive first goal of the season. But with the winless run now stretching to 5 games the pressure to gain a victory to kickstart the season kept building. How much longer would it take?

 

Final score Chelsea 1-1 Wednesday

 

Chelsea : Kharine, Clarke, Donaghy, Johnsen, Kjeldbjerg, Hoddle, Myers (Lee 8), Newton, Wise, Peacock, Cascarino (Shipperley 80), Unused sub : Hitchcock.

 

Wednesday : Woods, Nilsson, Worthington, Pearson, Walker, Waddle, Sinton, Sheridan, Hyde, Bright, Bart-Williams, Unused subs : B.Linighan, Watson, Pressman.

Attendance 16,652

The eagle-eyed amongst you will have noticed that Palmer did not revert to midfield at all as his suspension had kicked in. Just keeping you all on your toes. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wednesday 1 September 1993

Norwich City (home)

 

Wednesday’s busy start to the season continued with another midweek match, this time against a Norwich side who were very dangerous opponents. The Canaries had been the surprise package of the previous season, finishing 3rd and being in with a shot of the title right up to the last stages of the season (similar to the Owls’ efforts the season before). This had qualified them for the UEFA Cup, where they were to have a famous win in the Olympic Stadium against Bayern Munich.

 

Following their slow start to the season, this was therefore another potentially tricky fixture for Wednesday, still desperate for that first win. They were still without the suspended Carlton Palmer and, following the draw at Chelsea, named an unchanged side. Andy Pearce returned to the bench after his injury with Nigel Pearson keeping his place in the back four.

 

Wednesday bossed the first half, with Chris Waddle starting to return to form following his injury and going close with a free kick that forced a good save from Bryan Gunn. The other great chance of the half involved a goalmouth scramble that ended with Mark Bright prodding a shot just wide. Despite their dominance, the Owls had not made the breakthrough in the first half.

 

This was all to change in dramatic fashion after the interval as the Owls, attacking the Leppings Lane end, raced into a 3 goal lead. Chris Bart-Williams got the first in the 51st minute, firing home after a through ball from Waddle. The second arrived quickly as a brilliant ball from John Sheridan fed Waddle and he set up Bright for a simple finish. Minutes later came the third, Graham Hyde setting up Andy Sinton to slot home for his first goal since his move from QPR. Wednesday were in full flow and looking back to their best, and were surely now on course for their first win of the season. Well, as I have said before, don’t forget this is Sheffield Wednesday we’re talking about......

 

Within a minute of that goal from Sinton, the Canaries had got one back with an Exocet of a strike from full-back Mark Bowen. Norwich then introduced Efan Ekoku (yes, that Efan Ekoku, replacing another future Owl Mark Robins) from the bench in the 70th minute and he was to get the second, heading home Ruel Fox’s cross at the near post. The only thing fully flowing now for the home side were the jitters and, with wearying inevitably, an offside-looking Chris Sutton ran through to slot home the equaliser. And that was that, within 15 minutes of going three down, the visitors were level.

 

So the Owls were left to scratch their heads over a game they had mostly dominated, played some great football, obtained a seemingly unassailable lead and then thrown away. The consolation was another point on the board and, perhaps more importantly, the fact that they had finally found their scoring boots again. But, with the season now 6 games old and remaining winless, Wednesday remained second from bottom of the table.

 

Final score Wednesday 3-3 Norwich

 

Wednesday : Woods, Nilsson, Worthington, Walker, Pearson, Waddle, Sinton, Hyde, Sheridan, Bart-Williams, Bright. Unused subs : Pearce, Watson, Pressman.

 

Norwich : Gunn, Culverhouse, Bowen, Prior, Polston, Newman, Crook, Goss, Fox, Robins (Ekoku 70), Sutton. Unused subs : Megson, Howie.

 

Attendance : 25,175

IMG_1887.thumb.jpeg.2b86b23ac8a27d29d10001ed1138b67d.jpegIMG_1888.thumb.jpeg.a1ed6308eaf3ea5ac3ea05908256b866.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In very unimportant news, it must have been around then I passed my driving test, got a car and could finally stop going on the train from Hull and back. Certainly was a pain for these midweek games. 

That Norwich game was a game of 2 halves just in the 2nd half. I suspect there were a few murmurings about Francis, I mean it always existed after a poor run of results but lack of t'internet meant you had to wait for the next fanzine to hear the gripes. Time passes but typical Wednesday is nowt new 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

In very unimportant news, it must have been around then I passed my driving test, got a car and could finally stop going on the train from Hull and back. Certainly was a pain for these midweek games. 

That Norwich game was a game of 2 halves just in the 2nd half. I suspect there were a few murmurings about Francis, I mean it always existed after a poor run of results but lack of t'internet meant you had to wait for the next fanzine to hear the gripes. Time passes but typical Wednesday is nowt new 

I'm starting to see a trend starting there, MK, reading that 1st paragraph!   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Chelters said:

Just a quick update on this for two reasons :

1) To point out there was also an international break 30 years ago so no update for a few more days

2) To bump this thread so i can find it for next time

Thank fuck these international breaks really helped the England team over that 30 years 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Monday 13 September 1993

Newcastle United (away)

 

After a 12 day break, the Owls returned to action, delayed by an extra couple of days as the match was selected for Sky’s Monday Night Football, Wednesday’s first live TV appointment of the season. The visitors arrived at St James’s Park second from bottom of the Premier League table and still searching for their first win. Newcastle had won promotion at a canter the previous season under Kevin Keegan and, with players such as the prolific Andy Cole, were dangerous opponents. However, their introduction to the top tier had not been a bed of roses, with just one win to their name thus far.

 

As well as the lack of wins, Wednesday had another issue to deal with, namely the fact that both their home kit and the new black away strip were both a clash with the home side. So, the club and kit manufacturers Puma got their heads together and came up with the genius idea of avoiding a clash with black and white stripes with a shirt of white and black stripes. For some reason, the referee decided that it was still too close and Newcastle were therefore forced to adopt their dark blue away kit. We therefore had the strange sight of a blue Newcastle and an Owls side in white and black shirts and yellow shorts. In fact, that shirt was only ever worn a couple of times and was never released commercially so has become something of a collectors’ item.

 

Anyway, onto the match itself, and Wednesday picked the same starting eleven and substitutes as the Norwich game despite losing a three goal lead in the second half. It was the Owls who started the brighter and were unlucky in the 10th minute when John Sheridan struck a fierce shot against the post. Midway through the first half the hosts went in front when Chris Woods failed to hold a slippery shot from Malcolm Allen and that man Cole pounced to score. The Magpies then went on the offensive and both Allen and Steve Watson went close.

 

But Wednesday rode the storm and deservedly got themselves level before half time. It was a good goal as well with Sheridan squaring the ball for Andy Sinton to score with a neat side-footed finish. Shortly into the second half Sinton scored again with a close range header after his fellow Geordie Chris Waddle (who had been given some stick by the ‘best fans in the country’) did brilliantly to turn John Beresford and cross to the far post. After this, there only looked to be one winner as Bart-Williams and Bright both missed good chances and Hyde hit another shot against the post.

 

The game changed, though, with the introduction of Alex Mathie for the home side midway through the second half. Not long after Hyde had to clear off the line, Mathie crossed for Cole to get his second and make it 2-2. This got the home crowd giddy, and Newcastle went on the rampage and finished the Owls off with two more goals. Firstly it was Mathie himself with a lovely volleyed finish over Woods, then Allen stooped to head the fourth. Wednesday were shellshocked as, for the second game running, they had conceded three rapid second half goals to change the game. Still there was time for more incident, with both Pearson and Hyde having efforts cleared off the line in injury time.

 

So it was another defeat for the Owls, and still no win after seven games. Sky seemed happy with the home win and an exciting game, but Wednesday were still rooted in the relegation zone and certainly not looking like the potential champions they were tipped to be. Still, at least Andy Sinton was looking like a good signing with three goals in two games........

 

Final score Newcastle 4-2 Wednesday

 

Newcastle : Wright, Watson, Beresford, Scott, Venison, Bracewell, Clark, Papavasiliou (Mathie 62), Lee, Cole, Allen. Unused subs : Burridge, O’Brien.

 

Wednesday : Woods, Nilsson, Worthington, Pearson, Walker, Waddle, Sinton, Sheridan, Hyde, Bart-Williams (Watson 87), Bright. Unused subs : Pressman, Pearce.

 

Attendance : 33,890

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Saturday 18 September 1993

Southampton (home)

 

Desperate to secure the first win of the season. A game at home against a fellow struggler. Nope, I’m not talking about tomorrow’s game against Boro,  but 30 years ago when Wednesday found themselves in a similar situation, albeit with a somewhat better squad of players.

 

That squad, temporarily at least, no longer included Nigel Jemson, who joined Grimsby on a month’s loan in a search for first-team football. Also in the news at Hillsborough was the fact that the club had recently posted its accounts, showing a healthy operating profit for the year ended 31 May of £3.5m. Yes that’s right, an operating profit and accounts done within 4 months of the year-end. Maybe some things do change.

 

Still winless after 7 games, the Owls took on Southampton, only one place above on goal difference, having lost 6 of their first 7 games. On paper, this was certainly the most winnable game so far against opponents who were perennial Premiership strugglers. Managed by the ever unpopular Ian Branfoot, the Saints were arguably there for the taking, but could Wednesday finally secure their first three-point haul of 1993/94? After all, Sheffield Wednesday plus a winnable game, as we know all too well, does not always equal a win.

 

The Owls were able to welcome Carlton Palmer back from suspension, and David Hirst from injury, meaning Graham Hyde and Chris Bart-Williams dropped to the bench. No doubt this provided a bit of extra strength and quality that maybe they were looking for.

 

Perhaps unsurprisingly, Wednesday started nervously and it was the visitors who created a couple of early chances. Wednesday settled into the game as the first half went on with Hirst, Bright and Sheridan all having chances to score. Hirst then had a shot from the edge of the area saved by Tim Flowers, then Sheridan hit the post as the home side attempted to press home the advantage.

 

In the 31st minute, the game was soured as that man with the matinee idol looks, Iain Dowie, clashed with Nigel Pearson and the Owls’ skipper was forced to leave the field with what turned out to be a leg fracture from which his Wednesday career never recovered. Then Nigel Worthington was also injured following a bad challenge by Paul Allen. Wednesday had to improvise with Hyde and Bart-Williams coming on in midfield, Palmer dropping into central defence and Andy Sinton going into an unfamiliar left-back role.

 

Wednesday finally made the breakthrough in the 58th minute and it was the makeshift left-back who did the damage as Sinton’s forward run was rashly ended by Jeff Kenna for a penalty at the Kop end. As usual, it was coolly despatched by Sheridan for a deserved lead. 

 

Rather than sitting back on their lead, this gave the Owls a bit of a shot in the arm as they began to run the visitors ragged. Bright and Bart-Williams both went close before the game was sealed 10 minutes from time, Hyde crossing for Hirst to rise and hammer home a header for his first of the season.

 

So finally the winless run had ended and Wednesday leapfrogged the visitors and went up to 19th as a result. The injuries to the two Nigels put a bit of a downer on things but it certainly felt like a weight had been lifted.

 

Final score Wednesday 2-0 Southampton

 

Wednesday : Woods, Nilsson, Worthington (Bart-Williams 45), Pearson (Hyde 31), Walker, Waddle, Sinton, Sheridan, Palmer, Bright, Hirst. Unused sub : Pressman

 

Southampton : Flowers, Kenna, Benali (Banger 70), Moore, Wood, Allen (Bartlett 79), Charlton, Cockerill, Maddison, Le Tissier, Dowie. Unused sub : Andrews

 

Attendance 22,503

 

IMG_1901.thumb.jpeg.a8ec507844ef9bce7333052fd9cafa87.jpegIMG_1902.thumb.jpeg.4fb811d584073beb8e65b4b34d88fa2b.jpeg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tuesday 21 September 1993

Coca Cola Cup Second Road 1st leg

Bolton Wanderers (away)

 

The Owls had a break from Premiership action with their opening game of the season in the League Cup, then sponsored by the fizzy brown water experts, Coca Cola. These were the days when the Premiership teams all entered in the second round, which was for some reason a two-legged affair. With the draw being seeded, Wednesday were guaranteed to play a side in a division below, and they were handed one of the trickiest fixtures they could get. This was a Bolton side who had been in the lower divisions for some time, but were starting to make their way back under the guidance of Bruce Rioch. They had just gained promotion back to the second tier and had players such as Alan Stubbs, Jason McAteer, Alan Thompson and John McGinlay.

 

Not only were Wednesday presented with potentially problematic opponents, they also had more problems with their kit. With the home kit and (apparently) away kit both clashing, and the new white third kit clearly not being any better, Bolton were good enough to prevent their opponents playing in skins by donating their yellow away kit. Thus players of the calibre of Chris Waddle, John Sheridan and Des Walker were forced to slum it in a Bolton shirt.

 

These were also the days when teams still tended to field full strength teams in the cups. The Owls were struggling with injuries with Worthington, Pearson and Hirst all missing out. King, Pearce and Hyde returned to the side with Mark Bright the only recognised striker in the eleven. 

 

Bright had the first chance of the game after King put him through but Keith Branagan was there to save. After this, the game became as difficult as Wednesday thought it might be, as the visitors started to dominate the game. McAteer had a shot saved by Woods, and David Lee’s cross bounced off the post. 

 

Four minutes into the second half Bolton took the lead as Pearce brought down Thompson in the box and Tony Kelly confidently scored the penalty. Pearce, already on a booking, was immediately hauled off, with Chris Bart-Williams coming on in his place. And it was the Wednesday sub who was to get the equaliser eight minutes from time, scoring with a diving header after a good run and cross from King. It was almost 2-1 to the visitors as Sinton went close but this would have been harsh on the hosts who had created several chances before the late equaliser.

 

Both teams left relatively content, Bolton after giving a good Premiership team a game and Wednesday happy to get back to Hillsborough for the second leg on level terms. And able to wear their own kit.

 

Final score Bolton 1-1 Wednesday

 

Bolton : Branagan, Brown, Phillips, Kelly, Darby, Stubbs, Lee, McAteer, Coyle (Green 73), Thompson, Patterson. Unused subs : Seagraves, Davison

 

Wednesday : Woods, Nilsson, King, Walker, Pearce (Bart-Williams 52), Sheridan, Hyde, Palmer, Sinton, Waddle, Bright. Unused subs : Watson, Key

 

Attendance 11,590

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Andyben said:

I think this season is a reminder that we look back with rose tinted spectacles at the 90's because despite that group of players, we still weren't very good.

We certainly still seemed to have a bit of a soft underbelly, even with the talent in the squad. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Andyben said:

I think this season is a reminder that we look back with rose tinted spectacles at the 90's because despite that group of players, we still weren't very good.

Think it also showed the importance of having a top quality manager, even with a group of talented players.

As much as I loved Trev, he was no Big Ron back then.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You started to see the waning of Irish, Waddle, Sheridan and Hirst. The signing of Andy Pearce to play alongside Des Walker was an odd one. We largely relied on Mark Bright with Flash, Bart-man or Jemmo next to him. It was an odd mix of squad because we had some sublime players mixed with some less sublime. Andy Sinton was the right player on paper, but it never worked out for him. We had a lot of players our for extended periods of time this season.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Chelters said:

Tuesday 21 September 1993

Coca Cola Cup Second Road 1st leg

Bolton Wanderers (away)

 

The Owls had a break from Premiership action with their opening game of the season in the League Cup, then sponsored by the fizzy brown water experts, Coca Cola. These were the days when the Premiership teams all entered in the second round, which was for some reason a two-legged affair. With the draw being seeded, Wednesday were guaranteed to play a side in a division below, and they were handed one of the trickiest fixtures they could get. This was a Bolton side who had been in the lower divisions for some time, but were starting to make their way back under the guidance of Bruce Rioch. They had just gained promotion back to the second tier and had players such as Alan Stubbs, Jason McAteer, Alan Thompson and John McGinlay.

 

Not only were Wednesday presented with potentially problematic opponents, they also had more problems with their kit. With the home kit and (apparently) away kit both clashing, and the new white third kit clearly not being any better, Bolton were good enough to prevent their opponents playing in skins by donating their yellow away kit. Thus players of the calibre of Chris Waddle, John Sheridan and Des Walker were forced to slum it in a Bolton shirt.

 

These were also the days when teams still tended to field full strength teams in the cups. The Owls were struggling with injuries with Worthington, Pearson and Hirst all missing out. King, Pearce and Hyde returned to the side with Mark Bright the only recognised striker in the eleven. 

 

Bright had the first chance of the game after King put him through but Keith Branagan was there to save. After this, the game became as difficult as Wednesday thought it might be, as the visitors started to dominate the game. McAteer had a shot saved by Woods, and David Lee’s cross bounced off the post. 

 

Four minutes into the second half Bolton took the lead as Pearce brought down Thompson in the box and Tony Kelly confidently scored the penalty. Pearce, already on a booking, was immediately hauled off, with Chris Bart-Williams coming on in his place. And it was the Wednesday sub who was to get the equaliser eight minutes from time, scoring with a diving header after a good run and cross from King. It was almost 2-1 to the visitors as Sinton went close but this would have been harsh on the hosts who had created several chances before the late equaliser.

 

Both teams left relatively content, Bolton after giving a good Premiership team a game and Wednesday happy to get back to Hillsborough for the second leg on level terms. And able to wear their own kit.

 

Final score Bolton 1-1 Wednesday

 

Bolton : Branagan, Brown, Phillips, Kelly, Darby, Stubbs, Lee, McAteer, Coyle (Green 73), Thompson, Patterson. Unused subs : Seagraves, Davison

 

Wednesday : Woods, Nilsson, King, Walker, Pearce (Bart-Williams 52), Sheridan, Hyde, Palmer, Sinton, Waddle, Bright. Unused subs : Watson, Key

 

Attendance 11,590

 

Was at this one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...