Preston North End (H) - Match Thread

As the pre match stuff has started early today...... Here's the match thread.

Josh Windass up before the press pack...

JW: We have signed ten new players, different nationalities, a new style of play and it will take a little time.. But the lads are buying into what the manager wants and I am confident you will see that in the coming games #swfc

JW: The new lads have settled in well and hopefully that will translate onto the pitch. They have a lot of talent clearly and we want them to come in and make us better #swfc

JW: I pride myself on being a key player for the team and I want goals and assists. If you could stay on that Wembley high for three years that would be lovely, but that's not reality. Situations change, we're in a little rocky patch but we're only two games in and in-house we're not worried, we are confident of getting results #swfc

Some of the soundbites from Xisco courtesy of @Swfc on the X - Twitter thing.

"Djeidi Gassama is a good player and we need to have time with him and all the new players. "One on one he is fast and has very good intensity in the final third."

"We need time and patience. Some of the players have not had a pre-season. We need to improve every day and each day we are getting better and better."

"Barry Bannan is doing better, I think he is 100% ready."

"The important thing for me is having balance in the squad. We have some young guys in the team and they have a good level."

"We are working very hard every day in training, the Championship is demanding. Our focus is on how we can improve."

"George Byers gave me a very good pre-season and he has given good passion in training this week as well. I am very happy with him."

"Preston are a good team, they know exactly what they want. They are ready to have a good game and so are we. We will see what happens in the match."

"I can speak in Spanish and English, but not French. So I have help from Bambo with Gassama and we turn the problems into solutions. We work together so we can all understand. "I am also happy with the captain in bringing everyone together."

1 hour ago, Reesh said:

Perhaps I'm being a bit soft but I really do like listening to Xisco and his attitude.

Agree. I think it was really important for the new manager to be a good man manager - and it feels like XM is that. 
For all his faults, DM seemed well liked, and last year’s squad have got enough challenges with the transition. 
To take a close-knit group, add in 10 new players and create a new culture is going to take some management. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Reesh said:

My team for Saturday.

Vasquez

Palmer Bernard B.Diaby James

M.Diaby

Bannan Byers

Gassama Gregory Musaba

You know, mine is not far off that.

I’m going a 4-3-3, with Bannan and Byers, left and right of Diaby.

Just because he scored a goal last weekend, I’d go with Smith ahead of Gregory.

You could even go 4-2-3-1 and have Bannan as a 10 with Byers and Diaby sitting.

1 minute ago, KrolMong said:

You know, mine is not far off that.

I’m going a 4-3-3, with Bannan and Byers, left and right of Diaby.

Just because he scored a goal last weekend, I’d go with Smith ahead of Gregory.

You could even go 4-2-3-1 and have Bannan as a 10 with Byers and Diaby sitting.

Yeah that would work too.

7 minutes ago, Reesh said:

I know, putting them useless ***** in did hurt.

Even though I basically disagree with you on Palmer,  not enough to be arsed about it cos I get where you're coming from. Surely Iorfa or Famewo could do a job there.

I wasn't even referring to Bannan's inclusion but 5 stars means ***** not **** I guess:classic_biggrin:

I'm not getting involved in that debate because you're so wrong it's not worth it:classic_biggrin:

20 minutes ago, JBO said:

Even though I basically disagree with you on Palmer,  not enough to be arsed about it cos I get where you're coming from. Surely Iorfa or Famewo could do a job there.

I wasn't even referring to Bannan's inclusion but 5 stars means ***** not **** I guess:classic_biggrin:

I'm not getting involved in that debate because you're so wrong it's not worth it:classic_biggrin:

That is a very long winded way to say you know I'm right about both Palmer and Bannan.

3 hours ago, JBO said:

Famewo is t'other sided*, isn't he?  

*No, I don't mean gay.   🙄

A good week on the training ground should enhance the team side of things and I hope that transfers to a better collective performance on Saturday.

Integration of new players is always tricky when there are so many, but progress, even by the inch is still progress.

UTO 

• Like 1

I’ve read some folks on twitter saying that Xisco is losing it or the pressure is getting to him due to his response when asked about players who haven’t been picked.

I don’t subscribe to that at all. I actually like that he’s saying, let’s concentrate on those that are playing when they’re playing. Especially now. He’s right, and we’ve said it so many times before on here. When players aren’t selected the general consensus from some is that when they’re not playing, they turn into Pele/Ronaldo/Maldini. 

While I understand the question with Reece James, because he played in the cup game and then wasn’t in V Hull, Marv doesn’t need to be rattled on about again. Xisco has spoken about him and why before. 

3 minutes ago, Neville Facking Bartos said:

James has not shown much in pre season or the cup game, Famewo is definitely a better option 

Marv hasn’t featured since being switch to the right wing at Chestefield has he? I could see within 2 minutes that didn’t work for him or whoever it was that started on the left that day. Marvin must have objected hence the freezing out, easy to understand if he doesn’t fit with how the manager wants to play. I think he’ll go before the window shuts myself 

Famewo is showing exactly what he is, a left sided centre half at left back, he's hardly making himself undroppable but so far, he drifts inside to much and we lack width, mind I think playing Ihiewke is a part of the issue.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Reesh said:

My team for Saturday.

Vasquez

Palmer Bernard B.Diaby James

M.Diaby

Bannan Byers

Gassama Gregory Musaba

Like that.

Think Gassama will be on the bench at most and he may go Smith instead of Gregory.  

That is definitely the preferred midfield 3.

44 minutes ago, Neville Facking Bartos said:

But because cosmetic work is ridiculously overpriced you get thousands taking their money out of the UK every year and spending it in Turkey, Thailand, Poland and the like.

Meanwhile in places like Spain, they get inflation under control very quickly with free travel, proper energy caps and more 

And still no one can tell me why we’re under performing as a country so much when compared to other G20 countries 

Begins with ‘Brex’ and ends with ‘it’  

Oh both of you bore fucking off polluting the match thread with politics 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Reesh said:

That's cos the journalists we have are absolutely fucking woeful at their jobs.

More interested in clickbait headlines and creating some kind of scandal than the football. Why isn’t Reece James playing? What does Marvin have to do to get a game? They want the manager to say something negative so they can cause some outrage. 

I’m looking forward to today. Hopefully see some more signs of the team coming together and players showing they’re picking up the system. Xisco clearly likes Byers. We offer so much more with him in the side. Excited to see what Momo can bring. 

If we don’t win, can we have a separate thread for the Negative Norman’s to congregate? 

10 minutes ago, Supercockle said:

More interested in clickbait headlines and creating some kind of scandal than the football. Why isn’t Reece James playing? What does Marvin have to do to get a game? They want the manager to say something negative so they can cause some outrage. 

I’m looking forward to today. Hopefully see some more signs of the team coming together and players showing they’re picking up the system. Xisco clearly likes Byers. We offer so much more with him in the side. Excited to see what Momo can bring. 

If we don’t win, can we have a separate thread for the Negative Norman’s to congregate? 

I think it's a lot to do with quantity of work produced over quality,  maybe at the behest of their bosses, many articles are poorly researched and the fact a journalist doesn't seem to proof read and spell check their stuff is frightening.