Bartman….

Just seen that, presume that the rumour is true.

Very talented lad that I don't think 100% reached the potential he could have.

Actually one of his most impressive performances was just before the 1993 Cup final, when Francis rested most of the first team. Sure it was v Southampton and we hit 5 - but happy to be corrected.

No age 

1 hour ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

Just seen that, presume that the rumour is true.

Very talented lad that I don't think 100% reached the potential he could have.

Actually one of his most impressive performances was just before the 1993 Cup final, when Francis rested most of the first team. Sure it was v Southampton and we hit 5 - but happy to be corrected.

No age 

Hit a hat trick that day, he was superb.

Just awful news.

Remember him signing for us, mainly because he was the first player we signed to compete for a place at first team level who was younger than I was.

49 is just no age at all. I still can’t quite believe it, and for Francis to pass the same day as well is just tragic.

RIP ‘Bartman’.

• Sad 1

22 minutes ago, holmesfield_owl said:

Can't think of a sadder day in our history. Thanks for the memories Bartman. RIP and hope your with your gaffer Tricky, what an awful day.

WTID

On the playing side for sure. Probably another day in 1989 .... off the pitch but not getting into that.

Though I have always said its bizarre how the impact of the disaster grew years after the event. At the time we just moved on. Success on the pitch certainly helped and it was never to the detriment of signing players, whether that was older ones such as Francis or emerging like Bart Williams. 

Bart Williams was a very talented lad. The strength in that centre mid area however meant he was never guaranteed a starting slot, but you look back at the signings who replaced him and the downward trajectory that created.

12 minutes ago, SouthamptonOwl said:

I'm absolutely gutted. As Bells said, first player to play for Wednesday who was younger than me.

RIP Bartman.😥

True, it's a strange position as a younger fan, where despite having zero football talent you have this mis-guided belief that the Club have simply missed you and will soon offer a contract to mean you score a last minute winner in front of the Kop.

Then the Club signs younger players and the dream dwindles. I laugh at my youngest now realising this.

The passage of life and time but always hits home more when they are younger than you 

• Haha 1

RIP to CBW, so sad considering his age.

He was a little unfortunate that he was in a squad blessed with some quality midfield players. I actually thought that when Shez was on the wane and Palmer left that our long term midfield pair would be him and Ryan Jones.

He’d have very much been a modern day number 10. I followed him at Forest and he ended up playing as a defensive midfield player and even sweeper.

Such a sad loss.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...