Playoffs what's best for us

10 hours ago, Kiwi Owl said:

There's also Daniel Pudil who was outstanding as a full back in that first season. The number of times where he knew when to make a forward run to help Bannan play the ball forward to him was a lot. However, Pudil was part of arguably our best back 4 since the PL days (Hunt, Lees, Loovens, Pudil). 

If we continued to have a solid attack minded full back, Bannan would have probably stayed in that position. Carlos thought he had that in Adam Reach but he was never ever an attack minded full back, he was either a left winger or a wing back (where he was fantastic with Preston on loan there). Morgan Fox was never an attack minded full back either. Hence, he then moved Bannan to a central midfield role to accommodate

Fair point well made

They're probably reckoning on it being Derby and SYP don't want thousands of Derby fans turning up at the Bankers Draft for breakfast. 

Work with quite a few Derby fans and they reckon they'll be turning up en masse if it's them. 

Nowt to do with Sky. There was going to be a playoff game on Thursday anyway

Police have crapped themselves at us and Barnsley at home on the same day but at different times, presumably easier to police if same kick off times like this Sunday

Shite all round

13 minutes ago, Tank_Owl2,0 said:

Indeed, what on earth could the logic be for this decision- other than Sky want it to be on Thursday.

Why blame Sky this time ?

Presumably the tie originally scheduled for the Thursday will be moved or it will be a double header on that evening

Sky would have wanted to keep it for the Saturday 

Must be confident they’ll sell out the home tickets. I suppose that’s the advantage of playing the 1st leg at home, your supporters haven’t got to worry about still being in the tie.

Unlike the home team for the 2nd leg. Didn’t impact our home ticket sales last season when we were a goal behind though.

Playing at home second is an advantage in my view but you’ve got to be much braver in the away leg knowing there is something to fall back on in the second leg. Brighton nearly overcame a 2nil deficit quite quick at home. At Huddersfield and Sunderland away we were really poor on the ball and you’re chances of winning many playoff semis whichever way around are so low doing that. If we’d nicked a goal in either of those games (or avoided a blunder at Sunderland) the outcome could have nudged in our favour.

Not looking forward to the playoffs, stressy games. Especially if it’s derby and those ex players  

I feel a little more confident that we are back to being difficult to score against.

Famewo is a real miss but we have Palmer, Flint, Icky, Iorfa, Johnson and possibly James to pick from. With Adeniran and Brown as back-up both of which have looked decent-ish in the last few games they have played. Im not saying we wont concede at all in the playoffs but with those defenders and Smith, Paterson and potentially Gregory also providing aerial power for defensive situations it looks better.

IF Windass is back and able to play a full part particularly in the 2nd leg and hopefully a final, we have the goal threat to worry any of the playoff teams.

I know its a bit of a lottery and the Dingles have done the double over us, but I really dont think we have anything to fear - other than more injuries.

Lets get behind them tomorrow to send us into the playoffs on a high.

Edited by Tank_Owl2,0

6 minutes ago, Tank_Owl2,0 said:

I feel a little more confident that we are back to being difficult to score against.

Famewo is a real miss but we have Palmer, Flint, Icky, Iorfa, Johnson and possibly James to pick from. With Adeniran and Brown as back-up both of which have looked decent-ish in the last few games they have played. Im not saying we wont concede at all in the playoffs but with those defenders and Smith, Paterson and potentially Gregory also providing aerial power for defensive situations it looks better.

IF Windass is back and able to play a full part particularly in the 2nd leg and hopefully a final, we have the goal threat to worry any of the playoff teams.

I know its a bit of a lottery and the Dingles have done the double over us, but I really dont think we have anything to fear - other than more injuries.

Lets get behind them tomorrow to send us into the playoffs on a high.

If we have anything to fear, then don’t bother….

Absolutely we have nothing to fear. 

A lot seem to prefer the home leg first because of the past but if you won the away leg first you are in a great position. The only time I think we have looked truly comfortable was against Brentford over two legs. Vs Brighton they looked a real threat but started dropping like flies at Hillsborough and I thought at the time we should have scored more than 2 to press home that advantage. They defended incredibly with what was it? 10 men? Carlos refused to use wingers to get around the outside. The first 20 mins of the subsequent away leg was one of the hardest watches I think I’ve had supporting Wednesday. 

1 hour ago, TheExile said:

A lot seem to prefer the home leg first because of the past but if you won the away leg first you are in a great position. The only time I think we have looked truly comfortable was against Brentford over two legs. Vs Brighton they looked a real threat but started dropping like flies at Hillsborough and I thought at the time we should have scored more than 2 to press home that advantage. They defended incredibly with what was it? 10 men? Carlos refused to use wingers to get around the outside. The first 20 mins of the subsequent away leg was one of the hardest watches I think I’ve had supporting Wednesday. 

That Brighton away leg… I watched through my hands. It was horrible. 
But our goal, just absolutely lifted the anxiety. Although it was a foul in the middle

8 hours ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

Our record of course is 2/2 playing the home leg first

0/2 playing it 2nd and depressing drives home. 

We're 2/2 when we've been in the first semi final

We're 0/2 when we've been in the second semi final 

First semi final this time...

6 hours ago, HoylandOwl said:

But our goal, just absolutely lifted the anxiety. Although it was a foul in the middle

Yeah it was the perfect example of how a goal changes a game and momentum. Stockdale in goal. He did he usual parry into trouble later in the game too but typically we didn’t punish him 

8 hours ago, HoylandOwl said:

I watched through our goal net. It was worse than horrible, it was like being physically attacked!  🙀

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Owling_Wolf said:

I watched through our goal net. It was worse than horrible, it was like being physically attacked!  🙀

I am sure that was the game when we equalised a chap went flying over about 5 rows of seats and got carted out by the medics.

In hindsight there was a tad too much celebration at FT, the absolute realisation is if we do get thru in the 2nd leg it is very much a job not yet done moment 

2 hours ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

Tbh it seemed appropriate at the time, but in hindsight it always seemed for that group of players the getting to Wembley was the win. 

Bearing in mind Brighton just beat Man U and are looking like a Europa League place this season...

On 07/05/2023 at 22:56, Otto_Man said:

We should have let them equalise, they were toss, I'd have been happy to get them in the play offs 

I’m inclined to agree with this.  We beat Derby while conserving energy and trying not to get injured in a game that meant did all to us, but was a must win for them.  I wouldn’t have been in the least bit disappointed if Dawson had gifted them a late equaliser, would definitely have fancied us against them.  I agree that Peterborough’s defensive record isn’t great, and we go into it as favourites.  Clarke-Harris is my only real worry, just the kind of match winner you really don’t want to go up against in the playoffs.

54 minutes ago, owl71 said:

Clarke-Harris is my only real worry, just the kind of match winner you really don’t want to go up against in the playoffs

Shouldn't worry about Clarke-Harris, we've already bought him.

All part of the Chansiri/Moore master plan. Wilks, one of the top scorers in 20/21, buy him. Smith, one of the top scorers in 21/22, buy him. Next on the list Clarke-Harris. 

He's being brought in to replace Flint at centre half.

Peterborough is a rough place to go. Tight pitch and we never do that well there but I think if we got through that we have the huge advantage. 

Having said that I think derby would have been similar to Sunderland last year. Very tight but also having to deal with a huge crowd at derby. Derby weren’t up to much the other day despite needing to win but I still think they have some of the most potent attackers on their day in NML and McGoldrick, Collins, Dobbin looked handy. I’m glad we didn’t give them a second chance in the playoffs as imagine if they’d equalised late on in that game and we then had to go there. A bit of a wierd psychology to it with the needle that is evident between the two sets of fans.

5 hours ago, HoylandOwl said:

Var in all three playoff finals.

Means it'll be Premier League refs and linos as well as you have to be signed off to use VAR. 

Last season Nigel Clough had a proper kick off as they got Jarred Gillett in the L2 final. Story goes that he got yellow carded in the tunnel while they were waiting to go out. Gillett turns to both managers and says "just business as usual boys" Clough replies "no it's fucking not. We've gone 55 games without this shit and now you're here with a telly to help you" Gillett just pulls the card out and doesn't say anything back. The card was rescinded at half time as the EFL didn't want to afford Clough the opportunity to tell the world why he'd been booked before the game. 

Last season's L1 final ref was Simon Hooper. 

It's a smack in the face for all lower league officials. Well done for getting through the season but we don't think any of you are good enough to handle this occasion so we're switching the TVs on and giving it to a higher up ref.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

Means it'll be Premier League refs and linos as well as you have to be signed off to use VAR. 

Last season Nigel Clough had a proper kick off as they got Jarred Gillett in the L2 final. Story goes that he got yellow carded in the tunnel while they were waiting to go out. Gillett turns to both managers and says "just business as usual boys" Clough replies "no it's fucking not. We've gone 55 games without this shit and now you're here with a telly to help you" Gillett just pulls the card out and doesn't say anything back. The card was rescinded at half time as the EFL didn't want to afford Clough the opportunity to tell the world why he'd been booked before the game. 

Last season's L1 final ref was Simon Hooper. 

It's a smack in the face for all lower league officials. Well done for getting through the season but we don't think any of you are good enough to handle this occasion so we're switching the TVs on and giving it to a higher up ref.

Given the shit we've had in League 1, is this a bad thing.