43 minutes ago, Andyben said:

This was a "last season" performance.

Slipped back into old habits way too easily.

As pointed out above, James and Neymarv both have excellent crossing abilities and should be used more, especially on corners and wide free kicks

This.

Our strengths are when we get these overloads and overlaps down the sides. While he might not be everyone’s cup of tea we saw it from Palmer early on, quite a few times but we never tried it on the other side.

Theres a few folks on social media hammering DM for not starting Vaulks, and it’s easy to do that afterwards. No, Bakinson hasn’t started since Boxing Day, and on yesterday it’s easy to see why. BUT. We’ve got a few games coming up over the next week or two and need Vaulks involved. I’ve not seen or read anything that he’d got a knock, but if he had…. Does it make things any different? For me we need him, without Byers and no prognosis on him, I’m not so opposed to being a little careful with Vaulks.

BUT. I still say that the team we had out should have had more than enough to get the job done. 

As @Andyben has mentioned, we’re in the final throes of the season. I’d have chucked Wilks in the squad, we need to get over the line and have little options up top to help those players laying yesterday. 

It was flatter than a snakes belly yesterday. No spark, no inspiration, nothing. 

DM has turned a lot of opinions round and rightly so, but if he and the players expected anything but a bollocking from the fans after that, then I’m surprised. There was nothing to support in terms of how we played. Again; as others have said, contrast that to the game up the A61 In midweek. We can and do support if the team put in a shift. There’s a huge difference in both games.

Anyway. Cheltenham. 
Let’s batter em. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

The question of what is our worst defeat in the League can be a subjective call. But if you follow a statistical basis, then losing to a club bottom of League 1 is pretty near the top of that extremely long list.

Conversely that must be their best ever League victory. 

That’s a fair shout!

The team need to sit down and process yesterday.

Vaulks was saying at the end - we know we know…

Well I truly hope the whole team know.

9 cup finals remain

• Like 2

I listened to the Home commentators, one of the statements just before half time was...

"I remember (previous manager's name) saying a few times"...

"We have totally wasted that half, we have done absolutely nothing, that for me sums up Sheffield Wednesday this first half".

He got it spot on.

I didn't see the end of the second half, but i presume he was of the same mind about that as well.

36 minutes ago, MAL said:

I listened to the Home commentators, one of the statements just before half time was...

"I remember (previous manager's name) saying a few times"...

"We have totally wasted that half, we have done absolutely nothing, that for me sums up Sheffield Wednesday this first half".

He got it spot on.

I didn't see the end of the second half, but i presume he was of the same mind about that as well.

I don’t know about him, but I was!

1 hour ago, Otto_Man said:

I was almost with you until the last sentence....

Why not?

His distribution is better and Stockdale was dropped after an average game v Plymouth. 

I wouldn't necessarily say drop him just yet, but another iffy game on Wednesday then it's on the cards

• Like 1

Funnily enough on the point re Stockdale, I’ve thought the same. As already said, Dawson was brought in for a lot less. 
His last two games have been less than ideal, yes, a couple of his saves on Sunday were VERY good. But he caused the first opportunity with a bad pass.

And we’ve all gone over the Dingles game. 
DM has shuffled the pack for various reasons this season, he wasn’t afraid to drop Stockdale and he shouldn’t be afraid to do it to Dawson too.

He has to make a few changes if he can.

I think Dawson has been excellent since he came in, but, Stockdale was dropped for less.

We need to look at our right center back challenge. If we move Palmer back, we have to look at the right wing back position. We’ve got to somehow get some more creativity in midfield alongside Bannan.

Above all else, for the next seven games, the intensity and press has to be at maximum. We beat teams because we force mistakes.

4 hours ago, Dronowl66 said:

Well well well what can be said about that , Jack Hunts finished shouldnt turn out for us again , Flint knocking it square all afternoon and had his second shocker in succession , Bashiru is clearly not the slightest bit interested . Its just a case of hanging on till Byers is back he really is a big miss . Im a big Moore fan but thats not acceptable . Oh and Stockdale back in now 

What exactly did Flint do wrong on Sunday? The problem was every other player around him knocking the ball straight back to him: defenders & midfielders alike, (except Baz.)  That's not why he's there. And some of them were absolute cowards, avoiding the ball. 

With the greatest respect to Stockdale, isn't this a good example of players becoming better through not playing?  Someone above reckons he was out after Plymouth. He wasn't, he dropped a howler at Exeter - failing to keep out a long shot quite near him - which he was man enough to comment on after the game.  What's Dawson done as bad as that? I'd leave that to the manager to manage. 

1 hour ago, Owling_Wolf said:

What's Dawson done as bad as that? I'd leave that to the manager to manage. 

He was at fault for 2 goals IMO against Barnsley, there’s the howler against FGR that almost led to a goal. Although on balance he did make up for it. 

I don’t think he’s been terrible, but neither did I think Stockdale had been terrible when he came out. 

Personally, I think we need steady heads, and I think Stockdale’s experience right now would go a long way. Dawson has had a very good run though in general FWIW

31 minutes ago, Dronowl66 said:

Flint was slow very very slow , passing was pointless when he did try a forward ball it went precisely nowhere , he burned several chances in the last two games from headers in the box which is meant to be his strength. Has he looked in the slightest bit threatening to you ? Can you name one decent tackle ? as for Dawson he wasnt good enough when he came into the side and still isnt , distribution is crap, any shot at him he parries back into the middle , doesnt command his area  apart from that hes great. 

Flint up until last 2 games has been excellent. Won just about every header. Sunday he didn't come up against a direct opponent. He's as good as we could have got I reckon 

Felt sorry for Flint on Sunday, having an out of thoughts Iorfa next to him didn't help, you could see he was getting frustrated with the passing round the back & the lack of movement in front of him.

Then whenever he went forward, everytime he went for a challenge in the air the ref blew up against him, it was infuriating.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Dronowl66 said:

Flint was slow very very slow , passing was pointless when he did try a forward ball it went precisely nowhere , he burned several chances in the last two games from headers in the box which is meant to be his strength. Has he looked in the slightest bit threatening to you ? Can you name one decent tackle ? as for Dawson he wasnt good enough when he came into the side and still isnt , distribution is crap, any shot at him he parries back into the middle , doesnt command his area  apart from that hes great. 

All you've done there is describe Flint the player. Yes, missed one or two chances, like at Barnsley. (He might have a top record as a goal scoring defender but he's still a defender. He's not going to take every chance. I'm pretty sure we signed him to defend and any goals will be a bonus.) 

What was different on Sunday is what went on around him. As already detailed above, the midfield in front of him wasn't fit for purpose, our defence was struggling with the 'playing it out from the back' tactic accordingly, and one of his co-defenders in particular  was having a crisis of confidence. (He was replaced.)  What exactly was Flint supposed to do in those circumstances? The fact that he didn't transform our abject performance with a series of telling through balls isn't exactly a surprise, is it?  Surely it would have been more of a surprise if he had!  That's generally the midfield's job. The job it didn't do. That wants sorting out first before we concentrate upon the central defence's attacking prowess!

And attacking Dawson again? Really?  Not for me.  I see folks queuing up on Twitter to slag the manager off, too.  It's just depressing, this shit.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dronowl66 said:

Too white for you?

4 minutes ago, Dronowl66 said:

To be fair a suntan on both would be an improvement but I fear that would damage the ginger lad , kudos to you though your making the most of the scraps on that old bone ... impressive 

Better to keep scraping the old bone than post the tripe you do with regularity

18 minutes ago, Dronowl66 said:

Many thanks for those kind words , still wouldnt play Dawson and Flint needs a rocket 

Slating Flint is like what some revert to with Bannan's "Hollywood ball" when we lose. Lazy and wrong to point the finger at.

Hasn't played as good as he has since he arrived but considering what he has played like since joining us is fucking harsh. Several poor performances at FGR and Flint is not even in the top 5.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dronowl66 said:

And there we have it "Dawson's never been good enough and still isn't". I'm not going to argue he's been a world beater in the last two games, but he's been more than good enough and earned us the points on more than one occasion since taking over from Stockdale. 

10 hours ago, owl4ever1867 said:

Felt sorry for Flint on Sunday, having an out of thoughts Iorfa next to him didn't help, you could see he was getting frustrated with the passing round the back & the lack of movement in front of him.

Then whenever he went forward, everytime he went for a challenge in the air the ref blew up against him, it was infuriating.

Was speaking to a neutral at work today who’d watched the game. He’d noticed that the ref gave them soft free kicks in the last 15 minutes that stopped us getting anywhere.

Obviously wasn’t the main reason for the defeat but in its own way it was a reason why we didn’t at least get a point. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Otto_Man said:

And there we have it "Dawson's never been good enough and still isn't". I'm not going to argue he's been a world beater in the last two games, but he's been more than good enough and earned us the points on more than one occasion since taking over from Stockdale. 

Dawson is a decent keeper at this level but we want to push on next season & be a top 10 team, then we need better.

57 minutes ago, Chelters said:

Was speaking to a neutral at work today who’d watched the game. He’d noticed that the ref gave them soft free kicks in the last 15 minutes that stopped us getting anywhere.

Obviously wasn’t the main reason for the defeat but in its own way it was a reason why we didn’t at least get a point. 

The FGR players knew when the ball was coming in at all angles towards Flint, all they had to do is fall down & the ref blew up, it was every single time in that last 10-15 minutes.

• Like 1