The Run In

Reesh

2 hours ago, Paul from Wisewood said:

7 wins, 2 draws = 100 points.. More than achievable 

don’t think I’ve ever felt this optimistic about us, we’re a machine at the minute, full credit to the manager coaches and players, its not very often we have a team to be this proud of

I think you can add the owner to that list too, mate 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Supercockle said:

Shrewsbury have an outside chance of playoffs. They’re 3rd in the form table over the past 11 games so should give teams in the top 6 something to think about. 

I've got an outside chance of rattling Michelle Keegan then

One game at a time and all that, but I see it that the away games following Barnsley as key to our promotion push.

At home, Lincoln and Bolton might present difficulties, but should, with Accrington and Exeter, be home wins. Those 12 points puts us on 89 points. 

Away games at FG, Cheltenham, Oxford, Burton, Bristol R: all games we should look to be winning to nil. But all are potential banana skins. All are likely to have deep sitting defence and play on the break. But five games, five wins, puts us on 92 points, 104 with the (hoped for) home wins and guaranteed promotion as champions (unless Plymouth go unbeaten and transform their GD). It’s these games that we need to concentrate on: no unnecessary team or tactical changes, full strength team to minimise risk of stupid dropped points. 

Do this and anything from Barnsley is a bonus. And Shrewsbury(a) and Derby (h) become celebration matches.

2 hours ago, Kiwi Owl said:

Promotion Party will be the home game against Accrington Stanley

Might not be the title party but we'll be all but promoted that game.

I’m thinking the same. That’s Easter Monday right? I think promotion is secured that weekend.

7 hours ago, KrolMong said:

I’m thinking the same. That’s Easter Monday right? I think promotion is secured that weekend.

Yep, I reckon we'll have a very happy Easter this year. That'll be the weekend promotion is secured and we can then focus on beating Wolves' record (would love to beat Readings as well)

I can't remember being so confident about a Sheffield Wednesday side like the current one. 

I take solice from this massive unbeaten run we are on. And the fact that we don’t concede goals. If you take he first game of the season out of the equation, we have conceded 19 goals in 33 games. Our three defeats have come against Peterborough, where we played 65 minutes with 10 men, Barnsley, where we were poor and they were good, and away at Plymouth, where we should have been 4-0 up before they equalised. 

I think what will be interesting is what happens if/when we do lose, and how we bounce back. But I think we are very much capable of picking up 15 points or more from our next 7 games.

Barnsley is the obvious tricky one. They are rolling everyone over. But if you look at the records of the other teams, none are in particularly great form. If we are anywhere close to our best, we’ll beat them. There are other factors like injuries, and suspensions - but it’s all in our hands.

31 minutes ago, KrolMong said:

I take solice from this massive unbeaten run we are on. And the fact that we don’t concede goals. If you take he first game of the season out of the equation, we have conceded 19 goals in 33 games. Our three defeats have come against Peterborough, where we played 65 minutes with 10 men, Barnsley, where we were poor and they were good, and away at Plymouth, where we should have been 4-0 up before they equalised. 

I think what will be interesting is what happens if/when we do lose, and how we bounce back. But I think we are very much capable of picking up 15 points or more from our next 7 games.

Barnsley is the obvious tricky one. They are rolling everyone over. But if you look at the records of the other teams, none are in particularly great form. If we are anywhere close to our best, we’ll beat them. There are other factors like injuries, and suspensions - but it’s all in our hands.

Just confirming: Plymouth didn't equalise, we did.

I keep reading about Barnsley and they certainly are on an impressive run, but I went to their home game against Derby and I wasn’t overly impressed.

If we remain as physically and mentally tough as we have been, I think we will be too strong for them, as they aren’t the biggest side in the division and look fairly lightweight physically.

When I watched them v Derby I thought Norwood did well and never stopped running. He’s one to keep an eye on. Despite Cole getting two I didn’t see anything out of the ordinary in him. Herbie Kane had a good game in midfield and deservedly got MOM, but he wasn’t up against Byers, Vaulks and Bannan - in fact I’d go as far as to say midfield was Derby’s weakest area on the pitch.

At the back I was impressed with Mads Andersen and if he plays week in, week out as he did v Derby I wouldn’t mind us having a look at him as a potential signing for next season.

Despite them beating Derby 3-1, Derby hit the crossbar and Joe Wildsmith had a poor game (we definitely retained the better keeper in Dawson) and gifted Barnsley their third with a stupid cross the box pass. Barnsley also struggled to contain McGoldrick, who scored one and should have added to that tally.

I’ve eaten a lot of humble pie already this season over Moore and I hope I’m not about to do the same when it comes to Barnsley - but I just cannot see them matching up to this SWFC side like they did at S6, where they won easily and were clearly the better side. We’re a different animal now and despite their recent good form, I don’t think they’re anything near as good a side as we are - although I will concede that bringing Michael Duff in as manager has been a masterstroke for them and he’s definitely got them playing with belief and confidence.

1 hour ago, KrolMong said:

Ahh yes. I rephrase, we should have been 4-1 up before they went 2-1 up. A combination of great goalkeeping and terrible finishing cost us that night.

And some questionable substitutions (in my opinion). Although I have to admit Moore's not done much wrong since then!

If we lose to the Dingles its hardly the end of the world apart from the obvious crowing from them. However, would I take them doing the double if we got the autos, you're damned right I would. Its certainly a possibility.

Its also a possibility they only make it into the playoffs and fail.

Keep doing what are doing and we have nothing to fear except our own complacency and injuries (and bad officials of course!)

9 hours ago, KrolMong said:

After each match we've lost this season (not including cup competitions), we've won the next game quite convincingly

The 2-0 loss at Peterborough was followed by the 2-0 victory at Bolton, which was one of our better performances throughout the campaign

The 2-0 loss at home to Barnsley was followed by a 3-0 win at Morecambe

The 2-1 loss at Plymouth was followed by a 3-0 home win against Cheltenham

If we lose against Barnsley, then we'll more than likely comfortably beat Forest Green in the next match

5 more wins will get us 92 points. 5 out of 12. This side will easily get 15 points in this division