Fleetwood Mac-tch 2/3 - Match thread

HoylandOwl

Dull game.  Very much a case of we did what we needed to do with a few important players out.  We missed Byers.  Adeniran looked off the pace first half, grew into the game a bit more in the second, but he’s clearly getting match fitness, as opposed to already having it.  Gregory also lacked sharpness, and I was saying that before the West/Simonsen/Kane impression.  Big bonus with Ipswich losing.  We need to cash in by winning at Cheltenham as well.

I’ll take that all day long, 1-0 equals 3pts and we move on.

Id love us to win 5-0 with free flowing football but this isn’t going to happen every week.

I agree with FDB when he cam on, he was guilty a couple of times of half-hearted attempts at challenging for the ball which lead to shots/ chances for Fleetwood.

I was pleased to see Gregory get a run out, he has the guile we need when we haven’t got Byers or Bannan. He looked rusty though, which I think we could expect. You could see he was gutted to miss the pen. 2-0 wouldn’t have flattered us.

Famewo was excellent today. We can’t afford any more injuries at the back but we didn’t give Fleetwood much to go on and I think with that back 5 (6 inc the keeper) we’d probably have enough to keep clean sheets against 75% of teams in this league if we play like that.

On to Cheltenham and what on paper looks like a winnable game. However we will need the same application we’ve had for the last 20games if we want to go top on Tuesday.

41 minutes ago, Otto_Man said:

Thought Iorfa was great today (couple of shanked clearances aside), no issue with putting it in row z (of the grandstand 😜)

Iorfa is a different player when central of a three, or in a two.  Now he seems to have regained that sharpness he is an asset rather than a liability.

Man of match today.

• Like 1

Last season we might have taken 2 points from the last two games. Yesterday we beat a team that pressed us all game, with 5 or 6 of our first choice players missing. We’re a different gravy now. Credit to Moore for turning defeats to draws and draws to victories with the players he’s brought in and for instilling a dogged determination across the whole squad. 

• Like 1

Interesting that Moore did not sugar coat the performance level, referring to a dogs dinner. He knows that won't be good enough to get a top 2 spot, as you cannot keep relying on one moment of quality and resolute defending / keeper being alert. 

The playing of Smith, Gregory and Windass together does not work. The one consistent feature when we play poorly is those 3 starting. 

• Like 1

It's the playing of Smith and Gregory together that's the problem. Both need someone 'buzzing' around them to do the defender occupying and create the gaps both thrive on. That's why Paterson was immense the previous week. 

I get Gregory needs the confidence boost but that could have been in the coming cup game and Paterson could have kept his place for yesterday. Forwards need partnerships to develop, not rotating. 

Can't imagine Paterson was ecstatic at being told he was back on the bench after last week's performance. Especially when he's sat there watching something not work. 

1 minute ago, Tylluan said:

It's the playing of Smith and Gregory together that's the problem. Both need someone 'buzzing' around them to do the defender occupying and create the gaps both thrive on. That's why Paterson was immense the previous week. 

I get Gregory needs the confidence boost but that could have been in the coming cup game and Paterson could have kept his place for yesterday. Forwards need partnerships to develop, not rotating. 

Can't imagine Paterson was ecstatic at being told he was back on the bench after last week's performance. Especially when he's sat there watching something not work. 

We should be happy these three (four) are available at present.  Obviously, in contrast, the defence and midfield are wrecked.

I suspect what we saw yesterday was part of a 2 or 3 game plan. Pato would have presumably been a lot less unhappy if told that he would be coming on for Smith relatively 'early' yesterday and that they would be doing it in reverse on Tuesday night.  

We took a lot of clog off of Fleetwood yesterday, especially our defenders in the first half. So much so that I wondered if it was a tactic, knowing that we'd already got so many out or returned. Adeniran also took a major bash in midfield, though that probably wasn't a foul. Not great with another game on Tuesday. Let's hope there's enough TLC time available.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Owling_Wolf said:

We should be happy these three (four) are available at present.  Obviously, in contrast, the defence and midfield are wrecked.

I suspect what we saw yesterday was part of a 2 or 3 game plan. Pato would have presumably been a lot less unhappy if told that he would be coming on for Smith relatively 'early' yesterday and that they would be doing it in reverse on Tuesday night.  

We took a lot of clog off of Fleetwood yesterday, especially our defenders in the first half. So much so that I wondered if it was a tactic, knowing that we'd already got so many out or returned. Adeniran also took a major bash in midfield, though that probably wasn't a foul. Not great with another game on Tuesday. Let's hope there's enough TLC time available.  

That’s fair.

For me, at full time yesterday it was the first time I’ve allowed myself to contemplate promotion.

Thats two games where we’ve, to quote Sturrock, had a game where we’ve been scratching and biting almost to get a win. 
For me, this last week has been a bit of a watershed moment. 

We took our chance, we’ve limited two tough teams to very few chances, fought as hard as them. Been as organised as them and deserved the points. 

The only downside to yesterday for me was how we didn’t create too much. Byers and Bannan missing together makes a big difference. Both of them are valuable to us going forward, either Byers’ determination and positivity with the ball or Bannan’s passing range. It was so obvious yesterday we needed one of those assets or both.

Adeniran tried hard, and didn’t really disgrace himself, but didn’t create too much. Vaulks did well, defensively but didn’t find his passing range I thought. And Windass worked soooo hard, deserving a goal, like Gregory, who really needed to score that pen for a host of reasons.

But. We’re in a very good place, I’m far from complaining. 

Famewo, was outstanding yesterday I thought. Almost to the point that McGuinness wasn’t spoken about. Hunt and Palmer worked well down the right and Iorfa was a monster. 
will it work long term? Who knows but I love our solidity at the moment 

• Like 2

I agree OO.

When asked about incoming players, DM didn’t rule it out. So there might be something in the offing, but as always it will only be when it’s virtually/ over the line, which is the right way.

Unless there’s an outgoing on the strikers I don’t think that’s a priority and I don’t think midfield is an issue unless Byers or Bannan are worse than originally thought, it’s the defence that could be found out if we lost another to injury and even now it feels like make do and mend even if Palmer, Iorfa and Famewo are performing.

Edited by Tank_Owl2,0

Somethings I didn’t know until today.

Fleetwood have not failed to score away from home all season.

Ipswich wanted to abandon yesterdays game because of fog but changed their minds at the last minute and conceded.

Im trying to change my ranking from Derek Dooley cos I don’t like him he hated us and was a bitter man towards us as a director at bum hole stain.

So smash the like button 👍

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, holmesfield_owl said:

It should have been called off though my understanding is that if it's after 75 mins the result stands. Was a farce by the end but went out way so fuck em 😁

No, would be replayed in that scenario.

There’s no cut off time. Authorities will sometimes make the decision for the score to stand, usually if one side is well in front, like the Utd/West Brom game that time.

But at 2-1 I doubt very much they’d make that decision at any stage.

9 minutes ago, holmesfield_owl said:

From the BBC.

With conditions worsening, referee Bobby Madden had brought the two bosses together and informed them that if the game was abandoned after the 75th minute then the scoreline of 1-1 would have stood as the final result.

Oh.

I stand corrected.

Well sort of - I don’t think that’s the ref’s call to make.

• Like 1

Just now, cheat said:

This is the rule. Think the ref got it wrong it he really did often an abandonment with the score to stand.

5. Abandoned match

An abandoned match is replayed unless the competition rules or organisers determine otherwise.

Cue Ipswich demanding a replay on the basis Madden gave them, either, incorrect information or unilaterally took it upon himself to disregard the laws

1 hour ago, cheat said:

This is the rule. Think the ref got it wrong it he really did often an abandonment with the score to stand.

5. Abandoned match

An abandoned match is replayed unless the competition rules or organisers determine otherwise.

This post is hard to read in dark mode. 

Not complaining, just letting @HoylandOwlknow 👍🏼