Oh when the Owls… go marching in… Carabao Cup Match thread

• HoylandOwl changed the title to Oh when the Owls… go marching in… Carabao Cup Match thread
2 hours ago, HoylandOwl said:

Head to head record v Southampton

36 wins for us..

26 wins for them..

24 draws.

Last time we played them.

It was in this competition ten years ago at their place. 
Southampton went through to the last 16 courtesy of two goals by Jay Rodríguez either side of the half time break.

I have zero recollection of that game

2 hours ago, HoylandOwl said:

Head to head record v Southampton

36 wins for us..

26 wins for them..

24 draws.

Last time we played them.

It was in this competition ten years ago at their place. 
Southampton went through to the last 16 courtesy of two goals by Jay Rodríguez either side of the half time break.

Been to St Mary’s twice for league games. Can’t believe it’s over 10 years ago, so I checked. Last one was 11 years ago.

16 minutes ago, LiamOwl said:

I remember us playing them in one of the cups, but no way would I have said it was 10 years ago. I’d have guessed around 2015/16. 

I remember losing at the Dell in the FA Cup in 2001 but that game in 2012 I don't have a single memory of. Think we beat Oldham and Fulham in the rounds before.

We came from 2 down at Oldham to win in the 1st round when the tie was played before we started the league campaign, Pecnik ballooned a pen.

Edited by Reesh

9 hours ago, Reesh said:

I remember losing at the Dell in the FA Cup in 2001 but that game in 2012 I don't have a single memory of. Think we beat Oldham and Fulham in the rounds before.

We came from 2 down at Oldham to win in the 1st round when the tie was played before we started the league campaign, Pecnik ballooned a pen.

It wasn’t just ballooned. It went into orbit!

Southampton..... Their team news or thoughts on it from The Star

"Caretaker coach Rubén Sellés will take charge of the Wednesday clash and could include a raft of senior players as the Saints edge towards the World Cup-enforced winter break.

Southampton’s ‘B Team’ beat their Sunderland counterparts on Monday with no first team players in the line-up, a nine-man switch on their previous star-heavy line-up in a rampant win over Middlesbrough.

That frees up the likes of returning injury pair Romeo Lavia and Germany international Armel Bella-Kotchap to potentially play a part against Wednesday as they continue their recovery.

And with only one game left – at Liverpool on Saturday – before their break, the likes of first team in-and-outers Adam Armstrong, Sekou Mara and Samuel Edozie could feature as Southampton look to bounce back from the Hasenhüttl departure.

The Saints do have their injury woes, however. One-time England World Cup hopefuls Toni Livramento and Kyle Walker-Peters, formerly of Chelsea and Tottenham Hotspur respectively, are both out as is their fellow wing-back Juan Larios, who picked up an issue in their 4-1 defeat to Newcastle over the weekend.

Moussa Djenepo missed the Toon clash to attend the birth of his first child and could well take up his place in the side.

8 hours ago, Paul from Wisewood said:

remember us drawing 0-0 with them in FA cup, first time i'd seen us live on tv

think we lost replay 5-0 at the dell

The first game was the first time that we’d been live on TV (ITV?). Game was played on a Sunday.

The replay was my only visit to the Dell. I think we played pretty well but just couldn’t create the clear cut chances, whereas they gave us a lesson in clinical finishing. Steve Williams (soon after went to Arsenal) was the key difference between the teams.

24 minutes ago, HarrySpeakup said:

A pic my dad took

11/2/67 Wednesday 4 Southampton 1 - Fantham 3, McCalliog - 26,159

25/2/67 United 2 Southampton 0

PICT0509.JPG

I'm highly likely to have been at the S6 game. That was my first ever season, aged 13, going to games with a 15 year old mate.  All I can remember of Saints in that era is Ron Davies without looking owt up. Oh, and Terry Paine in midfield. He played forever.

Cheers for posting that, pal: a little window into the past.  

Edited by Owling_Wolf

7 hours ago, HarrySpeakup said:

A pic my dad took

11/2/67 Wednesday 4 Southampton 1 - Fantham 3, McCalliog - 26,159

25/2/67 United 2 Southampton 0

PICT0509.JPG

I was telling someone recently about these posters. There was one just in Carbrook under the railway bridge on Sheffield Road. 

As Owling says, a glimpse back in time. 

9 hours ago, Owling_Wolf said:

I'm highly likely to have been at the S6 game. That was my first ever season, aged 13, going to games with a 15 year old mate.  All I can remember of Saints in that era is Ron Davies without looking owt up. Oh, and Terry Paine in midfield. He played forever.

Cheers for posting that, pal: a little window into the past.  

This would be the time when I first started collecting football cards: came in a packet with that strip of awful bubblegum.

Anyway, Jimmy Gabriel. And I’m sure Mike Channon had made an appearance by then too.