Sheffield Wednesday vs. Burton Albion Match Fred

Germanbird

1 hour ago, HoylandOwl said:

OOH A VERY early match thread.....ย 

Welcome back @Germanbirdย ๐Ÿคฃ

However, I suspect there'll be people that don't care about this match..... I aint overly fussed, but as we're playing I want us to win and I'll be watching.

Yeah, I am aware that it's a dangerous topic. I nearly got banned for opening the Matchday thread and poor Professor Plum got the ban for contributing in the discussion. But as I am a brave girl, I though I risk it again.

I am hoping for a win and I'm already looking forward to seeing all of you at Wembley.

A friend of mine went last season to the final and enjoyed it a lot - although it was only his "second team", who lost on the day.

• Like 2

We're running out of 'reserve' defenders to play in this one, especially with Galvin now out on loan. Expect to see Agbontahoma get some time and would like to see Iorfa get another run out to try and get some speed of thought back into his game before Wycombe. Jack Hunt should start as well. Mighten will probably start, though god knows which formation we'll play to try and fit him in, and Wilks and Paterson will probably be upfront.ย 

Be interesting to see how Burton line up and whether they try to keep the momentum going after Saturday's win. The team they put out against Leicester was only a couple of changes away from the one that narrowly lost the preceding league game.ย 

1 hour ago, Tylluan said:

We're running out of 'reserve' defenders to play in this one, especially with Galvin now out on loan. Expect to see Agbontahoma get some time and would like to see Iorfa get another run out to try and get some speed of thought back into his game before Wycombe. Jack Hunt should start as well. Mighten will probably start, though god knows which formation we'll play to try and fit him in, and Wilks and Paterson will probably be upfront.ย 

Be interesting to see how Burton line up and whether they try to keep the momentum going after Saturday's win. The team they put out against Leicester was only a couple of changes away from the one that narrowly lost the preceding league game.ย 

Interesting to see Burton win after Jimmy Floyd departedโ€ฆ..ย 

3 hours ago, Germanbird said:

Yeah, I am aware that it's a dangerous topic. I nearly got banned for opening the Matchday thread and poor Professor Plum got the ban for contributing in the discussion. But as I am a brave girl, I though I risk it again.

I am hoping for a win and I'm already looking forward to seeing all of you at Wembley.

A friend of mine went last season to the final and enjoyed it a lot - although it was only his "second team", who lost on the day.

He got banned cos he's a ****

7 hours ago, PP2 said:

To be honest, I always had a lot of time for Professor Plum. He knew what he was talking about when commenting on the football whereas one or two think they do, you know who you are. He was a lone voice against the 2009 clique and the only thing anyone had against him was he stood up to bullies. Fair play to him, that's what I say.

Release the PP1, he's a diamond.

2009 clique? ย Who exactly are the members of that supposed to be? ย If Iโ€™m in it, nobody told me. ย ๐Ÿคฃ

• Like 1

8 hours ago, PP2 said:

To be honest, I always had a lot of time for Professor Plum. He knew what he was talking about when commenting on the football whereas one or two think they do, you know who you are. He was a lone voice against the 2009 clique and the only thing anyone had against him was he stood up to bullies. Fair play to him, that's what I say.

Release the PP1, he's a diamond.

Fucking *****

• Haha 1

ย 

12 minutes ago, Germanbird said:

I DO SUPPORT the team and the club in any way I can.

Going to the game and putting the players down doesn't count as supporting.

Wishing the team to lose doesn't count as supporting , does it??

ย 

The issue is there'll never be uniform support for clubs playing in the Papa John's, Checkatrade, Johnstone's Paint trophy or whoever it's sponsored by. For a host of reasons.ย 

I don't want us to be in it, it highlights where we are in the league ladder and it's a competition which is unneeded and unwanted across the board, also the inclusion of the under 21's in it was the final nail in the coffin for it for others. Believe me, when I had the pleasure of working in football and getting to the final, and seeing my employers win it, did I enjoy it? Absolutely, it will live with me till I'm no more, but that was purely personal, in that I had a moment on the pitch in front of 40,000 that I'd only thought would ever happen when I was in my slumber, dreaming away... But the perfect demonstration of how it's not needed/wanted, there were fans of the club who boycotted the tournament, meaning they didn't go any of the games including the final and it was the club's first EVER visit to Wembley in over 100 years. So that's the type of anti-feeling for it.ย 

As a Wednesday fan, do I want us to lose? No. But conversely, do I want us in the competition? No, and that's because it's a distraction to the task at hand, it's easy to see how that's the case too for the team/manager with the changes in the games being as many as possible (yes he tinkers in league games but not as wholesale). Watch the side we select tomorrow night, it'll be very different.ย 

It's going to always be a polarising competition, and it's something that won't change.ย 

30 minutes ago, Germanbird said:

I DO SUPPORT the team and the club in any way I can.

Going to the game and putting the players down doesn't count as supporting.

Wishing the team to lose doesn't count as supporting , does it??

ย 

Going to a game counts not sitting in Bavaria and posting inane drivelย 

Here we go again the best thing about the Papa Johns Trophy is the bloody match thread on here ffs grow up ye set of bickering fannies absolutely sick to death of Wednesday fans arguing and fuckin back stabbing.

We are going to win the fuckin league and all be hugging and kissing strangers on penistone road kids on shoulders car horns peeping ๐Ÿ™Œ๐Ÿ™Œ๐Ÿ™Œ๐Ÿ™Œ๐Ÿ™Œย 

Embarrassing sometimes cobbing stuff on the pitch banning posters just because of an opinion all the same to me disgusting embarrassing and out of order.

Up the owls god save the king and rest in peace your majesty now can we all just get along and play nicely thereโ€™s enough going on in the world and peoples lives without this shit. Football is a release football is the get away now pack it in the lot of you ๐Ÿ˜ก๐Ÿ˜ก๐Ÿ˜ก๐Ÿ˜ก

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, HappyOwl said:

Here we go again the best thing about the Papa Johns Trophy is the bloody match thread on here ffs grow up ye set of bickering fannies absolutely sick to death of Wednesday fans arguing and fuckin back stabbing.

We are going to win the fuckin league and all be hugging and kissing strangers on penistone road kids on shoulders car horns peeping ๐Ÿ™Œ๐Ÿ™Œ๐Ÿ™Œ๐Ÿ™Œ๐Ÿ™Œย 

Embarrassing sometimes cobbing stuff on the pitch banning posters just because of an opinion all the same to me disgusting embarrassing and out of order.

Up the owls god save the king and rest in peace your majesty now can we all just get along and play nicely thereโ€™s enough going on in the world and peoples lives without this shit. Football is a release football is the get away now pack it in the lot of you ๐Ÿ˜ก๐Ÿ˜ก๐Ÿ˜ก๐Ÿ˜ก

No.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, HoylandOwl said:

ย 

The issue is there'll never be uniform support for clubs playing in the Papa John's, Checkatrade, Johnstone's Paint trophy or whoever it's sponsored by. For a host of reasons.ย 

I don't want us to be in it, it highlights where we are in the league ladder and it's a competition which is unneeded and unwanted across the board, also the inclusion of the under 21's in it was the final nail in the coffin for it for others. Believe me, when I had the pleasure of working in football and getting to the final, and seeing my employers win it, did I enjoy it? Absolutely, it will live with me till I'm no more, but that was purely personal, in that I had a moment on the pitch in front of 40,000 that I'd only thought would ever happen when I was in my slumber, dreaming away... But the perfect demonstration of how it's not needed/wanted, there were fans of the club who boycotted the tournament, meaning they didn't go any of the games including the final and it was the club's first EVER visit to Wembley in over 100 years. So that's the type of anti-feeling for it.ย 

As a Wednesday fan, do I want us to lose? No. But conversely, do I want us in the competition? No, and that's because it's a distraction to the task at hand, it's easy to see how that's the case too for the team/manager with the changes in the games being as many as possible (yes he tinkers in league games but not as wholesale). Watch the side we select tomorrow night, it'll be very different.ย 

It's going to always be a polarising competition, and it's something that won't change.ย 

I understand that some people do not want us to be in this competition. I don't question the motives of those people at all.

But there is a difference of wanting us out of that competition (maybe by a draw or a slight defeat) and somebody wishing us to lose 3:0

A 3:0 defeat would not only mean that we are out of the competition, but it would give the same people a reason for their "Moore out" callsย  (I am not referring to a certain poster, but just in general)

A 3:0 defeat would also considerably harm the spirit in the team and might affect the league games as well

ย 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Germanbird said:

I understand that some people do not want us to be in this competition. I don't question the motives of those people at all.

But there is a difference of wanting us out of that competition (maybe by a draw or a slight defeat) and somebody wishing us to lose 3:0

A 3:0 defeat would not only mean that we are out of the competition, but it would give the same people a reason for their "Moore out" callsย  (I am not referring to a certain poster, but just in general)

A 3:0 defeat would also considerably harm the spirit in the team and might affect the league games as well

ย 

The people who are wanting the manager out want him out no matter if we win or lose, and those who aren't as shall we say, veherment in their opinions, I don't think would see a loss in the pizza cup as a reason to push him out. While I didn't watch the Bradford game, I didn't see too much vitriol about that defeat.ย 

While I understand, and see your comment re team spirit, indeed it COULD affect that, however, I don't suspect it'll make too much of a difference. It didn't bother us last season... ย OR the last time we were in this division and in the competition.ย 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Germanbird said:

ย 

A defeat whatever scoreline won't matter to team spirit as it will be a mix up of a team not the first XI.

I'd rather us be out and concentrate on the league than play in this PL funded shitshow of a competition.ย 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Germanbird said:

There is nothing better than a game at Hillsborough and I go as often as I can.

And when I'm there I try to support the team and NEVER boo them

Well maybe if you had been going for 35 years mostly week in week out your tolerance would dip.

2 minutes ago, Reesh said:

Well maybe if you had been going for 35 years mostly week in week out your tolerance would dip.

I guess you might be right with that,

but as soon as I ever wish my team to be demoralised with a 3:0 defeat, I will stop watching football completely and I will never call myself a supporter again.

(a scrappy drop out of a competition you don't like - fine; but why would anybody want us to lose this badly??)
ย 

ย 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Germanbird said:

I guess you might be right with that,

but as soon as I ever wish my team to be demoralised with a 3:0 defeat, I will stop watching football completely and I will never call myself a supporter again.

(a scrappy drop out of a competition you don't like - fine; but why would anybody want us to lose this badly??)
ย 

ย 

I see your point too, I don't WANT us to lose. I never do, but it's one that I'll just shrug my shoulders and go 'meh' if we do. And IMO that'll be the likely reaction from most, because our focus is the league..ย 

11 minutes ago, HoylandOwl said:

I see your point too, I don't WANT us to lose. I never do, but it's one that I'll just shrug my shoulders and go 'meh' if we do. And IMO that'll be the likely reaction from most, because our focus is the league..ย 

I focus on the league as well. No doubt about that.

However, I do like the competition anyway.. especially at the early stages I see it as a great opportunity to give the fringe players some game time and also give us the opportunity to see them and a few youngsters.

At the later stages it loses this advantage and it becomes a problem due to our usually long list of injured players, but then the excitement of winning anything kicks in for me (at least, if we progress)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Germanbird said:

However, I do like the competition anyway.. especially at the early stages I see it as a great opportunity to give the fringe players some game time and also give us the opportunity to see them and a few youngsters.

At the later stages it loses this advantage and it becomes a problem due to our usually long list of injured players, but then the excitement of winning anything kicks in for me (at least, if we progress)

The competition is one step away from B teams being accepted into the EFL, how can you like that.

7 minutes ago, Germanbird said:

The thing is, the Carabao/League Cup and to a slightly lesser degree, the FA Cup have gone that way.ย 

โ€œExcitement of winning itโ€ ๐Ÿคฃ

No thanks

38 minutes ago, Germanbird said:

ย 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Germanbird said:

I'm always surprised how many people are against our own team.ย 

ย 

image.png.f31af9d76e3015d61a8a4d2133f395b7.png

ย 

Right, first of all - its not against the team at all. I actually am not a Moore out person, even though sometimes I do question his tactics, style of play etc. Give me the likes of Darren Moore over Tony Pulis, Garry Monk, Jos Luhakay who made watching paint dry more entertaining than watching a Wednesday match

I want us to lose 3-0 to be eliminated from this pathetic competition. I wished all the clubs here did a boycott the season EPLs under 23 teams were invited to participate. I tolerated this competition before then, thinking its a good one for lower league sides to have a day out at Wembley (since the achievements of Bradford City are very rare). Since including the under 23s, nope - I don't want Wednesday to have anything to do with it. Also, I wish none of the 48 league one and two clubs have anything to do with it anymore. Scrap the competition, bin it, remove it at all costs.ย 

I'd prefer a version of the Anglo Italian cup to be back now, than this.ย 

• Like 3

My lineup:

Dawson

Agbontohomaย  Iorfaย  Pato

Huntย  ย  ย Dele-Bashiru/Bakinson (45min each)ย  ย  ย  Vaulksย  ย  ย Gloverย  ย  ย  ย Johnson

Wilksย  ย  Mighten/Cook(45 min each)

ย 

How would you line up?

(we have to play, therefore we need a lineup!)

My thoughts regarding this, er let's call it a fair competition.

Forcing teams to play a certain amount of "1st team" players is an absolute disgrace.ย 

I really hope that if a player (but hopefully not one of ours) gets a serous injury, they sue the fuck out of the idiots running the thing.

Most teams starting out in this will have a small squad, forcing them to be playing certain players gives them no chance of recovery from any little niggles they might have picked up, which then can escalate into a serious injury.ย 

As Reesh said earlier, this is all they are after.

Theย competition is one step away from B teams being accepted intoย the EFL, how canย you like that.

ย 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Germanbird said:

My lineup:

Dawson

Agbontohomaย  Iorfaย  Pato

Huntย  ย  ย Dele-Bashiru/Bakinson (45min each)ย  ย  ย  Vaulksย  ย  ย Gloverย  ย  ย  ย Johnson

Wilksย  ย  Mighten/Cook(45 min each)

ย 

How would you line up?

(we have to play, therefore we need a lineup!)

Cook got taken off and hospitalised for the u21s last week!

• Thanks 1

If the allowing of overage players in PL2, and the PDL, kicks on as expected then u21 teams will disappear from the EFL Trophy within three seasons. The whole point of them entering was to give them a taste of 'adult' football but they now get that during a normal season.ย 

The worse (apocalyptic) case scenario is that PL2 turns into a B league, really takes off, and the TV money moves to cover Man City B Vs Liverpool B and leaves the EFL the poorer partner (like the majority of European 2nd division and below leagues)

B teams will never happen in the EFL. The current loan system and the football pyramid ensure that. But that doesn't mean that the Premier League can't mould its own PL2 and turn that into an enclosed B league. The current change in age restrictions now allows them to keep players they'd possibly have let go and which player is going to turn down an extension of his current ยฃ20k contract to play for Chelsea B in order to go to Charlton for ยฃ12k.ย 

2 hours ago, MAL said:

ย 

Forcing teams to play a certain amount of "1st team" players is an absolute disgrace.ย 

ย 

ย 

Thatโ€™s not really the case anymore. You have to have four qualifying players, and the criteria is so varied that pretty much all of our squad qualify.

ย