Sheffield Wednesday vs. Burton Albion Match Fred

Germanbird

3 minutes ago, cheat said:

That’s not really the case anymore. You have to have four qualifying players, and the criteria is so varied that pretty much all of our squad qualify.

Yeah and the fine of £5k is paltry.

£260k is the prize for winning the god awful thing, fuck that

9 minutes ago, cheat said:

That’s not really the case anymore. You have to have four qualifying players, and the criteria is so varied that pretty much all of our squad qualify.

Ours do yes. 

But as I put, other teams are not as fortunate.

So they will have to play some players who could be carrying injuries to start with.

1 hour ago, MAL said:

Ours do yes. 

But as I put, other teams are not as fortunate.

So they will have to play some players who could be carrying injuries to start with.

It would be quite unlikely though. As it’s only four qualifying players you have to play, and one of the criteria is to have made 40 first team appearances in your career. Most teams will find pretty much all of their first team squad count as qualified players.

I think that rule is there just to prevent sides putting out their entire youth team.

If the competition is to exist (and I recognise that there is a totally valid debate around that) then I don’t see wanting a little integrity in the sides played in it is wrong. 

23 minutes ago, cheat said:

It would be quite unlikely though. As it’s only four qualifying players you have to play, and one of the criteria is to have made 40 first team appearances in your career. Most teams will find pretty much all of their first team squad count as qualified players.

I think that rule is there just to prevent sides putting out their entire youth team.

If the competition is to exist (and I recognise that there is a totally valid debate around that) then I don’t see wanting a little integrity in the sides played in it is wrong. 

Sorry

For me, integrity went out of the window when they forced clubs to play someone they don't want to. 

In fact integrity hasn't been in football for a hell of a lot of years. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tylluan said:

If the allowing of overage players in PL2, and the PDL, kicks on as expected then u21 teams will disappear from the EFL Trophy within three seasons. The whole point of them entering was to give them a taste of 'adult' football but they now get that during a normal season. 

The worse (apocalyptic) case scenario is that PL2 turns into a B league, really takes off, and the TV money moves to cover Man City B Vs Liverpool B and leaves the EFL the poorer partner (like the majority of European 2nd division and below leagues)

B teams will never happen in the EFL. The current loan system and the football pyramid ensure that. But that doesn't mean that the Premier League can't mould its own PL2 and turn that into an enclosed B league. The current change in age restrictions now allows them to keep players they'd possibly have let go and which player is going to turn down an extension of his current £20k contract to play for Chelsea B in order to go to Charlton for £12k. 

Do we really think Sky or BT would spend money on a B league or PL2 

Did they not broadcast a couple of games in the past 

Both would be under pressure to spend it on the wimmins sport

On 18/09/2022 at 18:55, Tylluan said:

We're running out of 'reserve' defenders to play in this one, especially with Galvin now out on loan. Expect to see Agbontahoma get some time and would like to see Iorfa get another run out to try and get some speed of thought back into his game before Wycombe. Jack Hunt should start as well. Mighten will probably start, though god knows which formation we'll play to try and fit him in, and Wilks and Paterson will probably be upfront. 

Be interesting to see how Burton line up and whether they try to keep the momentum going after Saturday's win. The team they put out against Leicester was only a couple of changes away from the one that narrowly lost the preceding league game. 

Can't believe we've got Baz on the bench. (Unless he's insisted himself.)