Jump to content

Sheffield Wednesday vs. Burton Albion Match Fred


Germanbird
 Share

Recommended Posts

So. Positives…

Wilkes is a good player. Quick, direct, strong.

Bakinson tried to make things happen, and got forward.

Negatives

Iorfa - he’s out of his depth. Brown - just is a poor footballer. Hunt needs games, but he’s country mike behind Liam Palmer. Vaulks isnt doing enough to get a start. Mighten has come with a big rep, but looks a long way off being good enough even at this level.

If this game is used as a barometer for pressure on the first team, only Wilkes and Bakinson look capable. And that’s a concern.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Whatever the status of this tournament and the players playing last night, Rotherham won the fucker last season and promotion with a smaller squad than we have now. So it shouldnt follow we can now "concentrate on the league". , we should be going all out to win every game we play, especially when theres a potential day out at Wembley at the end of it. 

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Sheffieldblue said:

Whatever the status of this tournament and the players playing last night, Rotherham won the fucker last season and promotion with a smaller squad than we have now. So it shouldnt follow we can now "concentrate on the league". , we should be going all out to win every game we play, especially when theres a potential day out at Wembley at the end of it. 

 

Fuck that, I'd be embarrassed for the club if we made the final!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, KrolMong said:

So. Positives…

Wilkes is a good player. Quick, direct, strong.

Bakinson tried to make things happen, and got forward.

Negatives

Iorfa - he’s out of his depth. Brown - just is a poor footballer. Hunt needs games, but he’s country mike behind Liam Palmer. Vaulks isnt doing enough to get a start. Mighten has come with a big rep, but looks a long way off being good enough even at this level.

If this game is used as a barometer for pressure on the first team, only Wilkes and Bakinson look capable. And that’s a concern.

Wilks looked OK, but he was playing basically wide right. At moment he won't get in team with current formation. Hunt as you say looks well off it but I think Vaulks will come good and Bakinson, while capable of a right ricket  is also capable of some excellent play.

Mighten ? Fair to say jury out. Not sure where he fits in

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mighten is an out and out winger. He doesn't fit in any of our formations and would have been better going to Hearts. 

But I've talked to a senior academy coach at Forest and we were offered 'an incentive' to take him, as Cooper wanted him to experience large crowds. But the incentive came with a 70% bench clause. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm surprised by the comments about Mighten and Bakinson last night.  IMO, Wilks and Mighten were easily the best attackers in blue and white. They were the only ones causing things to happen going forwards before half time. Wilks quality was there for all to see whilst Mighten overcame a slow start to create a string of chances, one of which lead to the chance that Paterson scored.  Strangely the Owls midfield followed that in the second half by starving Mighten of the ball, even when they tried to give it him, as exemplified by two successive absolutely shocking passes by Vaulks, who generally had a stinker. (Though he was gratuitously fouled throughout.)  

If Vaulks had a very disappointing night, (as did we watching him), then Bakinson had an absolute nightmare!  I've been watching us since the mid 1960's and that's one of the worst displays I've seen for us in all that time, in stark contrast to his general effect since joining us. He had an absolute stinker and must have been one of Burton's most effective weapons on the night. This wasn't just my opinion, the two I was with were saying the same things as me but rather more loudly and the fans we were sat between were agreeing and joining in.  

Whilst fans have different opinions of the same thing I wonder if those above criticising Mighten and praising Bakinson were in the ground or watching on t.v.  Whilst watching t.v. can give much better close-up detail, IMO being there gives you a better overall impression of a player's rôle in context of the whole performance.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m in agreement with you Owling on Mighten in terms of the Burton game. He has the look of a rabbit in the headlights, very skittish, and started that way, but as you say, as the game wore on he got better and seemed much more comfortable. 
I worry that he’s a bit lightweight, whereas Wilks seems to have a bit of a physical presence about him. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, HoylandOwl said:

I’m in agreement with you Owling on Mighten in terms of the Burton game. He has the look of a rabbit in the headlights, very skittish, and started that way, but as you say, as the game wore on he got better and seemed much more comfortable. 
I worry that he’s a bit lightweight, whereas Wilks seems to have a bit of a physical presence about him. 

Agreed, Tee. It's perhaps the only use of those games: to give scope for those in need of practice and confidence to have an extra opportunity to get both. 

Wilks certainly looks like a box of tricks: quick, quite physical for his size and tries the unexpect. Just a hint of being a bit of a 3rd Division DiCanio type.  (I'm not really  comparing them, though I did see him do a leaping volley at Bradford.  His missed!)   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Tylluan said:

Mighten is an out and out winger. He doesn't fit in any of our formations and would have been better going to Hearts. 

But I've talked to a senior academy coach at Forest and we were offered 'an incentive' to take him, as Cooper wanted him to experience large crowds. But the incentive came with a 70% bench clause. 

Large crowds? Seriously?

So the opportunity to play in front of around 18K fans every home match, trips to Ibrox (50K) and Parkhead (60K), plus guaranteed European group stage football isn't 'large' enough? And Tynecastle certainly offers a far better potential atmosphere than a half-full Hillsborough (no offence).

Cooper must be a right ignorant ****.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, EastCraigsOwl said:

Large crowds? Seriously?

So the opportunity to play in front of around 18K fans every home match, trips to Ibrox (50K) and Parkhead (60K), plus guaranteed European group stage football isn't 'large' enough? And Tynecastle certainly offers a far better potential atmosphere than a half-full Hillsborough (no offence).

Cooper must be a right ignorant ****.

Can't call that competition European football, it's like the PJT version from Uefa

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, EastCraigsOwl said:

Large crowds? Seriously?

So the opportunity to play in front of around 18K fans every home match, trips to Ibrox (50K) and Parkhead (60K), plus guaranteed European group stage football isn't 'large' enough? And Tynecastle certainly offers a far better potential atmosphere than a half-full Hillsborough (no offence).

Cooper must be a right ignorant ****.

Mighten didn't want to go that far North and into a different league. He wanted a club that was in reasonable distance to Nottingham so he could still live at home.  That's why we were offered him and it came down to our attendance size as to why we were offered him. 

Like I said in my post. He should have gone to Hearts. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A winger has to be able to do one of three things.

- He’s either a goal threat.

- He’s someone with pace or a ball carrier who can commit people and create holes.

- He has to have delivery on him.

Mighten doesn’t seem capable of any of them at the minute, but, he does look like he’s trying too hard at times.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Owling_Wolf said:

I'm surprised by the comments about Mighten and Bakinson last night.  IMO, Wilks and Mighten were easily the best attackers in blue and white. They were the only ones causing things to happen going forwards before half time. Wilks quality was there for all to see whilst Mighten overcame a slow start to create a string of chances, one of which lead to the chance that Paterson scored.  Strangely the Owls midfield followed that in the second half by starving Mighten of the ball, even when they tried to give it him, as exemplified by two successive absolutely shocking passes by Vaulks, who generally had a stinker. (Though he was gratuitously fouled throughout.)  

If Vaulks had a very disappointing night, (as did we watching him), then Bakinson had an absolute nightmare!  I've been watching us since the mid 1960's and that's one of the worst displays I've seen for us in all that time, in stark contrast to his general effect since joining us. He had an absolute stinker and must have been one of Burton's most effective weapons on the night. This wasn't just my opinion, the two I was with were saying the same things as me but rather more loudly and the fans we were sat between were agreeing and joining in.  

Whilst fans have different opinions of the same thing I wonder if those above criticising Mighten and praising Bakinson were in the ground or watching on t.v.  Whilst watching t.v. can give much better close-up detail, IMO being there gives you a better overall impression of a player's rôle in context of the whole performance.  

I was in attendance, and have an opposing view to you on Mighten. I thought he was awful. I can see why he looked excellent coming through a club’s academy, probably the most skilful player of his intake, lots of flicks and fancy tricks. But as soon as he comes up against defenders with only a few years experience in the men’s game and they’re not falling for them.

Agree re Bakinson though - I thought he was really off it.

Only real positive for me was Wilks - yes, a tad greedy, and can see the JJ comparisons, but I liked him.

Good to see Heneghan back and 45 minutes under his belt - but please excuse him from the playing out for the back duties.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...