Traaaaactor Boys Match Fred...

HoylandOwl

In relation to Ipswich I think they are one of the better L1 teams I’ve seen in the last 18months, but I think their forward line is better than their defence. I’d be surprised if they aren’t at least top 6.

Tbh, we barely laid a glove on them until the last 20mins.

I wasn’t impressed with FDB today, Windass, Mighten or James.

A tough test next week, another one we can’t afford to lose.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kiwi Owl said:

One thing I am trying to work out is what position Liam Palmer is playing?

Iorfa seems to be playing both right back and centre half. Johnson often appears as a left back to help James - rarely presses forward

Struggling to figure out the tactics today. 

Right from the start they targetted Iorfa and James with long, diagonal, high balls from the 'keeper.  Right frrom the start it worked.  Defensive headers going anywhere like shrapnel, until we just left it for the chasing forward. 

2 hours ago, Mark said:

Ref awful for both sides. Neither side created a great deal, amazing that there was 4 goals. I don't really know what to think of our performance. Did OK first 20, then nothing much till later stages. 

At times I didn't have a clue who was playing where. Smith was really isolated at times. Moore has got plenty of options. Maybe 2 many.

It's called 'Total Football' mate.  :classic_laugh:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Supercockle said:

FDB was totally ineffective today, so I wasn’t surprised to see him pulled. Byers and Bannan deserve the credit for getting us back into the game  

Moore at least influenced things positively again but we’re weak as fuck at times defensively. 

Yes he was mostly ineffective apart from a couple of runs he made into the channel on the right. 

But he should have been moved into his proper position and Johnson subbed IMHO.

This would/ could have bolstered us and meant we weren't as weak.

2 hours ago, Otto_Man said:

Windass seems to play where he fancies which permanently leaves whoever he's with isolated. I thought he was poor today and should have been hooked before FDB was. Not seen Mighten do anything of note as yet, was he good against Morecambe?

No, IMO he and the team haven't been assimilated yet.  The other night he ran down blind alleys with the ball but on at least one occasion drew two defenders into their corner and turned around to lay the ball off and no-one at all had bothered to back him up as he stood with his arms outstretched.  Early days yet, plus I doubt wing back is his position, except in emergency.

1 hour ago, Supercockle said:

Without question, the worst officiating display I’ve seen. All three were garbage. Iorfa should be made to walk them all through the streets of Sheffield, in their full kit and boots  

First 20, we looked decent, the last 20 the same. In the time between we looked lost and too many players had poor games a la Barnsley. Credit to them for getting something from the game. 

FDB was totally ineffective today, so I wasn’t surprised to see him pulled. Byers and Bannan deserve the credit for getting us back into the game  

Moore at least influenced things positively again but we’re weak as fuck at times defensively. 

From what I've seen this week he's currently better as a sub than starting. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cheat said:

I thought that was a deserved point against a good side, not having all this luckiest point even business - really starts to look like an agenda against Moore if that line is taken imo.

Stats were virtually identical in terms of possession, shots etc; and although they aren’t always a great indicator of the game, I think it’s a massive stretch to makes statements like luckiest point even in a game were both sides had the same number of goal attempts and the possession was more or less 50/50.

That said, until the last 20 minutes we did not look like scoring which is a bit of a worry. Although they looked more purposeful going forward it wasn’t like they created chance after chance, and there was a massive slice of luck with their second goal.

Officiating was awful.

Good job you posted your last paragraph. 16 minutes to go we were 2-0 down. And just for the record, they might have had luck for their second but our second looked miles offside.

Our tactics were shite all game, I couldn’t work out what system we were playing (or attempting to play). We push forward, then 30 or so yards from goal we stall, piss about with the ball, more often than not pass it back, or look to give it to Bannan who tries the Glenn Hoddle stuff. 

It’s predictable, it’s easy for teams to deal with and unless Bannan hits a worldy it’s ineffective.

Last 15 minutes we threw caution and tactics to the wind and showed what we can do when we are “let off the leash” system formation wise.

Stats might suggest this, that and the other - but with 20 minutes to go did you think we were going to get anything from the game? No, and neither did I, or those walking out of the ground.

We were lucky to get a point and we 100% got out of jail today. Balls to suggesting there’s an agenda against Moore. I never call for the head of a manager as a rule, but you’d have to be blind if you thought Moore knew what he was doing tactics wise. We will not finish top 2 with him in charge - and given the squad we have, to finish outside of the top two is unacceptable.

1 hour ago, HappyOwl said:

Thought we were wank today for 70 minutes at least when I say we I mean the fans not the team. Longest minutes silence I’ve ever seen 😡😡😡

Not to mention all the utter wankers that threw stuff at the lino and - by the look of it - the goalie too.  Three separate stoppages over objects thrown onto the pitch: we aren't going to get away with that.  Brain fooking dead!  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bellsview said:

Good job you posted your last paragraph. 16 minutes to go we were 2-0 down. And just for the record, they might have had luck for their second but our second looked miles offside.

Our tactics were shite all game, I couldn’t work out what system we were playing (or attempting to play). We push forward, then 30 or so yards from goal we stall, piss about with the ball, more often than not pass it back, or look to give it to Bannan who tries the Glenn Hoddle stuff. 

It’s predictable, it’s easy for teams to deal with and unless Bannan hits a worldy it’s ineffective.

Last 15 minutes we threw caution and tactics to the wind and showed what we can do when we are “let off the leash” system formation wise.

Stats might suggest this, that and the other - but with 20 minutes to go did you think we were going to get anything from the game? No, and neither did I, or those walking out of the ground.

We were lucky to get a point and we 100% got out of jail today. Balls to suggesting there’s an agenda against Moore. I never call for the head of a manager as a rule, but you’d have to be blind if you thought Moore knew what he was doing tactics wise. We will not finish top 2 with him in charge - and given the squad we have, to finish outside of the top two is unacceptable.

I didn't think we had any more "luck" than they did - for a start they should have had two or three bookings before they had any! - but we were utterly outplayed for most of the game.  That's not luck, it's football.

I thought a draw was a fair result.

Were we lucky? Did we get away with it? At 2-0 and 20 minutes left, of course we were.

But at times our passing and moving was as good as theirs and both sides created little in terms of genuine chances. Our goals were gained through our good play. Theirs (well one, certainly) were gifted by our defence. 

Just watched, and paused, our equaliser. Very close, but not way offside. Ahead of the last defender, but I’m not convinced Smith was ahead of the ball. 

It doesn’t matter whether you score in the first minute or the last. We weren’t outplayed, but neither were we consistently dominant: we deserved a draw. We didn’t score until 70 minutes on Tuesday. We’re we lucky to win? Were we unlucky with all those last minute equalisers we conceded last season?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Owling_Wolf said:

I didn't think we had any more "luck" than they did - for a start they should have had two or three bookings before they had any! - but we were utterly outplayed for most of the game.  That's not luck, it's football.

So you think we deserved a 2-2 result and a point from the game then? That’s what it comes down to Fred. I don’t, I think we were very lucky.

If the roles were reversed and we had surrendered a 2-0 lead against Ipswich today, with 15 minutes to go, there’d be outrage - not posts saying Ipswich deserved a point! 

And I’d go as far as to say that the performance of the officials today should be classed as null and void. They were shite for both sides. David Blunkett would have reffed better. If they were competent I doubt our second goal would have stood, although I’m yet to see it on tv.

We got out of jail today, simple as that - and again I put us being outplayed down to the manager. We have (IMO, which is worth little if nowt admittedly) the best squad in this division, and we should be able to field the best XI of any club in the league - so why are we getting outplayed so often? 

I still go back to Peterborough away and that substitution of Byers a minute before half-time, would you say that was “football” or “managerial incompetence”?

You won’t be surprised to know what I think! 

Well I called the 2 - 2 scoreline before the game started, certainly with the loss of McGuinness in defence. 

Iorfa has basically bolted mentally, so needs to be given time away, though the lack of numbers in that area may mean that can't happen. Ironically in corporate today was Des Walker and I suspect he would improve the defence even now.

Saying that we were unfortunate for their 1st goal, the tackle sent the ball to their player. But I thought we dealt ok with that setback, again a tactical injury stopped some momentum building

The only positive was we had a 100% success rate of attempts on target. I do think Smith was marginally offside, but I think the lino preferred to go home without broken bones.

Our fans are dickheads. Not just throwing stuff, but booing at HT, it wasn't all for the ref. Ironically it took a shit ref to rile us enough to get behind the team. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bellsview said:

Whether I or anyone else thought we were going to get back from 2-0 down or not is immaterial in the argument as to whether we were lucky or not.

1 hour ago, Bellsview said:

So you think we deserved a 2-2 result and a point from the game then? That’s what it comes down to Fred. I don’t, I think we were very lucky.

If the roles were reversed and we had surrendered a 2-0 lead against Ipswich today, with 15 minutes to go, there’d be outrage - not posts saying Ipswich deserved a point! 

And I’d go as far as to say that the performance of the officials today should be classed as null and void. They were shite for both sides. David Blunkett would have reffed better. If they were competent I doubt our second goal would have stood, although I’m yet to see it on tv.

We got out of jail today, simple as that - and again I put us being outplayed down to the manager. We have (IMO, which is worth little if nowt admittedly) the best squad in this division, and we should be able to field the best XI of any club in the league - so why are we getting outplayed so often? 

I still go back to Peterborough away and that substitution of Byers a minute before half-time, would you say that was “football” or “managerial incompetence”?

You won’t be surprised to know what I think! 

Yes, Pete: I do think we eventually 'deserved it.'   I'm looking a bit further into it than what's perhaps at first obvious.  For instance, they had about six yellows today of which about four were for cynically bringing down our players to end our breakaways or threatening attacks. (Added to at least a couple earlier that weren't carded.)  They then had two already booked players - especially their no. 11 - unpunished for fouls as bad as they'd been booked for.  I'd say that for all that basic cheating and organized cynicism they were quite lucky to finish with eleven men, wouldn't you? Or if they'd not played so cynically we might even have won from one or more of the attacks that were stopped by that cynical cheating.  Obviously we'll now never know but it's another part of the game worth including in considerations. 

Edited by Owling_Wolf

Ffs we came back from 2 nil down to draw under the cosh against a good side. I was at the match today with a mate who lives abroad and hasn’t been to the ground for years. He was disgusted at how the crowd reacted to the game and he’s been a wednesdayite since a little boy and he’s 52 now. He watches on ifollow every game.

He asked me why we boo at half time and why it’s so quiet how do I explain it.

Some fans need to have a word with themselves and wake up

My son has moved to T block from grandstand cos he thinks he’s 10 men in his CP company top and I messaged him at half time to say they are a disgrace and why aren’t they singing absolute shower of shit.

Get behind them we have the players we have the squad get behind them or fuck off to the lane yer twats 

Fighting amongst ourselves is a fuckin disgrace it makes me sick

Wednesday till I die but if your not fit to referee is our best song all day we might as well pack in. Yes I’ve had a drink but I will die for Wednesday home and away (and I nearly did) so ffs change the record and create an atmosphere 

If I’m banned I’m banned off here but in the words of Delia Smith “let’s be havin ye” 😡😡😡

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Neville Facking Bartos said:

Actually thought we were the better team, just looked really weak at the back 

Smith was offside, and not in his own half, always though the free kick is taken from the offside position though?

As for the goal, he was onside from where I was and I was down that end, seemed to be level with the ball when it came across 

Shame we couldn’t get the winner 

He was offside makes me feel better 😂😂

6 hours ago, Neville Facking Bartos said:

Actually thought we were the better team, just looked really weak at the back 

Smith was offside, and not in his own half, always though the free kick is taken from the offside position though?

As for the goal, he was onside from where I was and I was down that end, seemed to be level with the ball when it came across 

Shame we couldn’t get the winner 

I think they changed that rule in the summer. One of the Sky games I think Gary Neville made the same observation and was told it is now possible. So he came back from an offside position, no issue with that call and the free kick is now taken from where the player becomes active. 

Ruddy stupid rule. Because in theory presumably if you were offside and ran 50 yards back and were active in the penalty area, is it a penalty 🤔

Ok that is theoretical if slightly physically impossible in the same phase of play but ...

Re the ref, the observation is how v Morecambe he was barely noticed to yesterday when it's the closest for a while to seeing a lynch party forming.

He was definitely the worst since the last worst we had. In part it was their collective incompetence. 

There was an early corner given as a goalkick

Prior to their first goal the ball goes out of play near the managers. 

He gave Ipswich a corner based on a pure guess.

The advantage that never was, leading to the 2nd goal

The key thing it did was rattle the players and fans into action. I appreciate that intensity can't be for a full 90 but how much better is that than moaning. I know I do on here but rarely in the stadium. 

I actually think its two fold, at odds with each other. We have spent years watching such shite mind numbingly dull football but also the mindset of too many that we are massive and shouldn't be playing in this league and should walk every game. Even when we won by 5 folk moaned.

We really are deserving at times of the criticism levelled at us locally of having deluded visions of grandeur. 

We should be the greatest asset. We are a fucking liability most the time

• Like 2

12 hours ago, M42Owl said:

I thought a draw was a fair result.

Were we lucky? Did we get away with it? At 2-0 and 20 minutes left, of course we were.

But at times our passing and moving was as good as theirs and both sides created little in terms of genuine chances. Our goals were gained through our good play. Theirs (well one, certainly) were gifted by our defence. 

Just watched, and paused, our equaliser. Very close, but not way offside. Ahead of the last defender, but I’m not convinced Smith was ahead of the ball. 

It doesn’t matter whether you score in the first minute or the last. We weren’t outplayed, but neither were we consistently dominant: we deserved a draw. We didn’t score until 70 minutes on Tuesday. We’re we lucky to win? Were we unlucky with all those last minute equalisers we conceded last season?

I’m with you M42 on this. While I thought they looked decent, well drilled, and competent in possession, they didn’t really create much. 
And, Ipswich who usually or have done this season, dominated possession in games, we didn’t let that happen. They pressed high, which unnerved us and Iorfa in particular But also, we rattled them too, Byers in particular I thought was excellent at the ‘ugly stuff’. 

While I completely understand that the vast majority think we weren’t going to get something from the game, 2-0 with just over 15 mins to go, as we got the FK for the Byers goal, I thought if we score now, we’ll get something. 

That moment it was like ‘F adversity, F the ref’ tbh, it was more the latter. But The goal unified the fans, as the atmosphere before it was fractious as hell, and once we got one it was like all was forgotten and the purpose was to then inspire the team and they responded massively.

Overall, thinking back now, I absolutely loved it yesterday, it was emotional, at times breathless and I was knackered at full time and I’d obviously not played!. As I’ve said, bit of adversity, the pantomime villains as officials (they may as well have come from one too), and as rousing a comeback as we’ve had in quite some time. 

As for them chucking stuff on the pitch, get fucked. Their keeper was hit with a bottle as they celebrated the second. Oh yeah, well done bright sparks, get the game abandoned at 2-0 to them, we then get a game behind closed doors or something after the EFL fuck us over. GREAT IDEA.

Yeah, the officials were annoying as shit, yeah you can continue to give them crap verbally, and tell him he’s not fit to referee, but why was it the keeper’s fault that the ref was crap? Grow up you absolute stupid fucktards, or piss off somewhere else.

Anyway. In summary, I don’t think we were awful, I think we matched them for the most part and we’re definitely worthy of a draw; even though it looked very unlikely.

5 hours ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

Re the ref, the observation is how v Morecambe he was barely noticed to yesterday when it's the closest for a while to seeing a lynch party forming.

He was definitely the worst since the last worst we had. In part it was their collective incompetence. 

There was an early corner given as a goalkick

Prior to their first goal the ball goes out of play near the managers. 

He gave Ipswich a corner based on a pure guess.

The advantage that never was, leading to the 2nd goal

The key thing it did was rattle the players and fans into action. I appreciate that intensity can't be for a full 90 but how much better is that than moaning. I know I do on here but rarely in the stadium. 

I actually think its two fold, at odds with each other. We have spent years watching such shite mind numbingly dull football but also the mindset of too many that we are massive and shouldn't be playing in this league and should walk every game. Even when we won by 5 folk moaned.

We really are deserving at times of the criticism levelled at us locally of having deluded visions of grandeur. 

We should be the greatest asset. We are a fucking liability most the time

That attitude of "We should be thrashing the likes of these" and "We shouldn't even be in this league!" absolutely make me puke.  Always said with a nasty snarl. Self entitled arseholes. 

• Like 1

I see across social media their fans are trying to hide the disappointment of throwing away a 2 goal lead by saying, things like, why did you celebrate getting a point like you won the World Cup? And enjoy League 1 etc etc....

Right, this comes from a club that had banners up around their ground last season proclaiming their late win over us? 

Sour grapes...

14 minutes ago, HoylandOwl said:

I see across social media their fans are trying to hide the disappointment of throwing away a 2 goal lead by saying, things like, why did you celebrate getting a point like you won the World Cup? And enjoy League 1 etc etc....

Right, this comes from a club that had banners up around their ground last season proclaiming a late win over us? 

Sour grapes...

Worse than that, it was a late equaliser for a draw against us they had on a banner.

I think the balance of the starting side was wrong.  The back three was not really convincing, but that was due to injuries.  With that back three, and against one of the best sides in the league, we needed a proper holding midfielder.  Bannan, Byers and Fizz is a very attack minded midfield three.  Fine against some of the crap in the bottom half of this league.  Maybe even fine against the better teams if all our central defenders are available. Yesterday Moore should’ve been more pragmatic.

6 minutes ago, Otto_Man said:

It was 3-5-2

I agree. 

As I’ve mentioned before I’m a little obsessed with the defensive formation in readiness for the Who Got Us The Points clean sheet distribution.

Mind you it wasn’t long before that was out of the window.

I thought we started with 3-4-2-1.

No way did Palmer line up as deep as the other three defenders for more than the odd second here and three. Definite back three.

Further forward: Windass and FDB roaming behind Smith. 
You could argue that FDB was an advanced midfielder and Windass was playing off Smith in a 3-5-2. But I saw them as a two behind Smith.