30 years ago - season 1991-92

Wednesday bounced back from last week’s disappointing defeat at Oldham with a straight forward 2-0 away win at Nottingham Forest.

The game was settled in the first half with goals from the strike pair of Williams and Hirst. Sheridan back in the side after a two and a half month injury lay off was instrumental in the first, sending Palmer clear down the right. His midfield partner’s cross was despatched by Williams. The second game when Shirtliff headed down from a corner and Hirst swivelled to blast home from the edge of the six yard box.

Woods, Nilsson, King, Palmer, Pearson. Shirtliff, Wilson, Sheridan (Harkes), Hirst, Williams, Worthington. Unused sub, Francis 

In midweek Wednesday travelled to Coventry and returned with a single point thanks to a goalless draw. Despite the 0-0 score line it was a game full of chances with both Williams and Hirst being denied by two good saves from Coventry keeper Ogrivovic, and Woods pulling off two good saves of his own.

Woods, Nilsson, King, Palmer, Pearson, Shirtliff (Harkes), Wilson, Sheridan, Hirst, Williams (Francis), Worthington.

On the Saturday there were 32,138 inside Hillsborough for the visit of Man City. The game was goalless at half time despite Pearson and Hirst both going close and Wednesday dominating the game. The reward came after the break with Hirst opening the scoring in what I always consider a typical Hirst goal. Picking the ball up wide left on the halfway line he powered forward and shot home via the post from just inside the penalty area. The points were secured late on when Worthington volleyed home Nilsson’s cross to give Wednesday a 2-0 win.

Woods, Nilsson, King, Palmer, Pearson, Warhurst, Wilson, Sheridan (Harkes), Hirst, Williams (Francis), Worthington 

6 hours ago, Reesh said:

That Hirst goal, he rinsed a very capable centre half in Michel Vonk and was reminiscent of the goal v Hull. 

Coton had a great game from memory 

Is Vonk the player Peter Reid insisted on calling Michael in press conferences, saying he wasn't having anyone called Michelle playing for his team. 

Just now, Owling_Wolf said:

Think he was the player who 'did' Andy Sinton at Maine Rd when he was in top form and running them ragged. He was never the same player after that injury.  

I don't remember that but bow to your knowledge, who was it who did Ryan Jones? 

12 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

Is Vonk the player Peter Reid insisted on calling Michael in press conferences, saying he wasn't having anyone called Michelle playing for his team. 

He scored for em the season after in a 3 nil romp at ours, was first time I'd seen a back pass given in the box and they scored. 

29 minutes ago, Andyben said:

What innocent times when our players careers were ruined by other team's  players and not our own management 

I will never forgive that **** Steve Bould for what he did to Hirst, him & Adams that day went out to ruin his career & they did just that.

Wankers the pair of em.

It was also Easter on this corresponding weekend 30 years ago, and on the Saturday it was the long trip to the south coast to take on Southampton. It ended in another three points as a second half goal from Hirst gave us a 1-0 success. Williams headed forward and the Boy Wonder held off the defence before a smart left footed finish.

Woods, Nilsson, King, Palmer, Pearson, Warhurst, Wilson, Sheridan, Hirst (Anderson), Williams (Francis), Worthington 

9 hours ago, cheat said:

It was also Easter on this corresponding weekend 30 years ago, and on the Saturday it was the long trip to the south coast to take on Southampton. It ended in another three points as a second half goal from Hirst gave us a 1-0 success. Williams headed forward and the Boy Wonder held off the defence before a smart left footed finish.

Woods, Nilsson, King, Palmer, Pearson, Warhurst, Wilson, Sheridan, Hirst (Anderson), Williams (Francis), Worthington 

I won the first goal scorer sweep on the Hoyland Owls supporters coach that day….

On Easter Monday Wednesday entertained Norwich in front of 27,362. It was a straight forward 2-0 victory with both goals coming in the first half. Roland Nilsson was instrumental, with our Swedish full back hitting his first Wednesday goal inside the first ten minutes, and then setting Sheridan up for the second.

Woods, Nilsson, King, Palmer, Pearson, Warhurst, Wilson, Sheridan (Harkes), Johnson (Francis), Williams, Worthington.

All of a sudden Wednesday were considered title challengers. With the top two slipping up and dropping points we found ourselves three points behind leaders Leeds with two games left to play. Man Utd were two points ahead of us, but with a game in hand.

On the Saturday Wednesday travelled to Crystal Palace knowing that nothing short of three points would suffice for the unlikely title challenge to be kept on track. It looked on the cards for a while, excellent play from Sheridan to snatch the ball away from Palace and then cross perfectly for Williams to head home gave us the lead at the break. It stayed that way till almost the last kick of the game when Mark Bright ran onto a long through ball and lobbed the ball over Woods head to make the final score 1-1.

Woods, Nilsson, King, Palmer, Pearson, Shirtliff, Wilson, Sheridan, Hirst (Francis), Williams, Worthington. Unused sub, Warhurst.

The point confirmed at least a third place finish and European football for the following season. The result on it’s own didn’t end our title chance, but Leeds’ win at Bramall Lane the following day did. Man Utd’s defeat at Liverpool later that same day confirmed the title, and meant that Wednesday would go into the final game of the season with the chance of finishing runners up.

17 hours ago, cheat said:

On Easter Monday Wednesday entertained Norwich in front of 27,362. It was a straight forward 2-0 victory with both goals coming in the first half. Roland Nilsson was instrumental, with our Swedish full back hitting his first Wednesday goal inside the first ten minutes, and then setting Sheridan up for the second.

Woods, Nilsson, King, Palmer, Pearson, Warhurst, Wilson, Sheridan (Harkes), Johnson (Francis), Williams, Worthington.

All of a sudden Wednesday were considered title challengers. With the top two slipping up and dropping points we found ourselves three points behind leaders Leeds with two games left to play. Man Utd were two points ahead of us, but with a game in hand.

On the Saturday Wednesday travelled to Crystal Palace knowing that nothing short of three points would suffice for the unlikely title challenge to be kept on track. It looked on the cards for a while, excellent play from Sheridan to snatch the ball away from Palace and then cross perfectly for Williams to head home gave us the lead at the break. It stayed that way till almost the last kick of the game when Mark Bright ran onto a long through ball and lobbed the ball over Woods head to make the final score 1-1.

Woods, Nilsson, King, Palmer, Pearson, Shirtliff, Wilson, Sheridan, Hirst (Francis), Williams, Worthington. Unused sub, Warhurst.

The point confirmed at least a third place finish and European football for the following season. The result on it’s own didn’t end our title chance, but Leeds’ win at Bramall Lane the following day did. Man Utd’s defeat at Liverpool later that same day confirmed the title, and meant that Wednesday would go into the final game of the season with the chance of finishing runners up.

I don't actually remember thinking the title was ever on. Even if we had won, the fact Leeds played our nearest and dearest the following day, weren't we all convinced they would deliberately lose. Perhaps there was less hype in the media, if there was Sky that season it would have been different 

The excitement amongst our fans prior to kick off at Selhurst suggested a lot thought the title was a distinct possibility..... I certainly did.....weirdly the only other thing I can remember about that day is not being able take a bottle of pop in by a steward that looked like Mr Baxter from Grange Hill.....even down to the tracky bottoms he was wearing....oh and it was bloomin cold on that terrace.....

1 hour ago, HarrySpeakup said:

Esha Ness won the void race and Party Politics went of 7/1 favourite

It wasn't rerun as I thought

Could be wrong on this, but I think 1993 was run twice on the same afternoon, both void. I was at the Scottish Cup semi final between Hearts and Rangers and was listening to it on my walkman (as you did back then!).

There was another National, maybe two or three years later, which was postponed on the Saturday (bomb scare?) and rerun on the Monday afternoon.

The 1993 race had a couple of false starts then on the third attempt it was another false start but many jockeys didn't  see the flag and set off blissfully unaware the race the were running in meant nothing. Quite how they managed to run 4 and a half miles without someone telling them to pull up was never quite explained

We listened to it in the coach waiting to get out of the Wembley car park after beating the Pigs

The then Mrs JBO had backed Esha Ness, the "winner",  at 50/1 and was gutted

The 1997 National got put back to the Monday after a bomb scare had forced an evacuation of the course on the Saturday

• Like 1

The bomb scare one was 1997. I was there, loved it, one of the best days out I have had. 

The race was run 2/3 days later. Lord galena won at 14/1 I think. A mate of mine told me to back it. I was putting my bet on at the course when the scouse army came in with the horses because no one was shifting. They frog marched us round the course to get us out. Everyone was jumping and falling all over the jumps. Went in a boozer on Melling Road and all the jockeys where in still in their colours boozing. About 12 or so agreed to do a race up Melling Road. Great day out. 

The 93 race was the race esha Ness was 33/1 sp as I recall.

It was something of an anti climax to the end of a tremendous season as Wednesday played out a 0-0 draw with Liverpool in front of 34,861 at S6. It was a game of few chances with Wednesday having the better of it but never really looking like breaking the deadlock. 

With Man Utd winning their final game any chance of a runners up spot had gone anyway, so Wednesday finished third, seven points behind champions Leeds, and three behind the Old Trafford side. Arsenal were three points behind us, with Man City completing the top five. At the foot of the table West Ham, Notts County and Luton were relegated with Coventry and Norwich escaping the drop by two and three points respectively. Our neighbours had a remarkable turn around from an early season position that looked like they’d be serious relegation candidates and finished ninth.