Standard of refereeing

I think he has a point to be honest. The problem is psychology for me. They all know the laws of the game and none of them are deliberately biased. But they do get swayed.

Against Portsmouth the ref was actually a bit generous to us in the first half but nothing significant. Their fans start having a go and no doubt Cowley has a little word in his shell-like at the end of the half and suddenly it’s there. That little seed of doubt, there in the back of the subconscious. 

Then in the second half suddenly every decision goes their way, every little free kick that they try to buy is happily sold to them. Five bookings for us, one of which changed the course of the game, and none for them. Thankfully he then bottled a potential penalty, probably because he realised that would have been one decision too many.

We see this so many times. The ref starts off OK then, as the players, coaching staff and crowd take umbrage at something, they turn to shit. You can sense the tide turning after the manager has a particularly strong go at them for example. Lo and behold all the decisions start going the other way.

So you have to play the dark arts a bit. Have a couple of players in the ref’s ear chipping away and pointing out every mistake. Same with the coaches. Get particularly vocal about the major decisions. Plant that seed.

Sadly I think Moore wants to be the good guy and not get involved in this stuff and we suffer because of it.

As for the refs, I think they need to train them in this stuff. Or maybe swap the refs and linesmen at half time to try and reduce the unconscious bias. But it needs sorting because players and coaches are getting cuter at working out how to get their way and it’s damaging the game. 

1 hour ago, Chelters said:

I think he has a point to be honest. The problem is psychology for me. They all know the laws of the game and none of them are deliberately biased. But they do get swayed.

Against Portsmouth the ref was actually a bit generous to us in the first half but nothing significant. Their fans start having a go and no doubt Cowley has a little word in his shell-like at the end of the half and suddenly it’s there. That little seed of doubt, there in the back of the subconscious. 

A strong ref would've said to Cowley, "I'm in charge and I'm a Wednesday fan, so shut yer trap ya ugly ****. In fact, fuck it, have a red card. Go on - fucking do one."

The standard of refereeing is no better or worse than it has ever been - what has amplified things is the cry baby mentality of fans emboldened by social media who simply can't handle the fact a human might have made a mistake and it simply must be a conspiracy

This pathetic entitlement that every single decision should be correct "there's too much money involved" has burdened us with the football vandalism that is VAR

Chelsea fans started a petition to ensure the ref from Sunday never refs them again because in their opinion he made a couple of errors. I can only assume they have set up similar petitions to ensure 3 or 3 of their players never play for the club again after they also made mistakes in the same game

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, JBO said:

The standard of refereeing is no better or worse than it has ever been - what has amplified things is the cry baby mentality of fans emboldened by social media who simply can't handle the fact a human might have made a mistake and it simply must be a conspiracy

This pathetic entitlement that every single decision should be correct "there's too much money involved" has burdened us with the football vandalism that is VAR

Chelsea fans started a petition to ensure the ref from Sunday never refs them again because in their opinion he made a couple of errors. I can only assume they have set up similar petitions to ensure 3 or 3 of their players never play for the club again after they also made mistakes in the same game

I don't mind errors - that's human.

But I am struggling to accept that sometimes the refs are obviously biased or intimidated.

I'm still annoyed about the ref, who disallowed Chey's goal .. not because he made that "error", but because he afterwards did not make up for that error but continued to work against us.

Usually refs, who make errors, should try to make up for them in the course of the game. If they don't it shows IMO that it wasn't an error but something worse!

59 minutes ago, JBO said:

We have had some absolute bellends reffing us though to be fair mate. 

At least for errors in the first half, he could and should check during halftime.

Why shouldn't they compensate for errors by being a bit more generous with further decisions? I don't say they should make more "errors" to compensate, but there is always room for interpretation and they can easily try to make up for it. 

Many refs give all against us and nothing for us all game long. That's bias against our club / the size of our club / reaction on the fanbase - but that has nothing to do with human errors.

14 minutes ago, Reesh said:

We have had some absolute bellends reffing us though to be fair mate. 

We have. So has everybody else.

They are just humans trying to so a job, it's the conspiracy and biased bollocks I can't be doing with.

The online abuse will eventually lead to a huge shortage of referees

The problems became accentuated when fast tracking started, refereeing became seen as a professional career by those at a certain level, and officials became fully professional. 

In the past you had referees who could relate their day job to the way they ran the game. You had head teachers, foremen, men who dealt directly with a workforce. Refs who'd been NCOs during national service. They naturally commanded and demanded that authority. 

Last night's ref came straight out of uni into a fast track programme with Derbyshire FA. He's not known anything else.  Seb Stockbridge (Portsmouth game) finds supply teachers for schools. He's a facilitator so will carry that into his game. 

35 minutes ago, JBO said:

We have. So has everybody else.

They are just humans trying to so a job, it's the conspiracy and biased bollocks I can't be doing with.

The online abuse will eventually lead to a huge shortage of referees

We've been shit on since Di Canio pushed Alcock, nowt will convince me of any different. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Chelters said:

Then in the second half suddenly every decision goes their way, every little free kick that they try to buy is happily sold to them. Five bookings for us, one of which changed the course of the game, and none for them. Thankfully he then bottled a potential penalty, probably because he realised that would have been one decision too many.

We see this so many times. The ref starts off OK then, as the players, coaching staff and crowd take umbrage at something, they turn to shit. You can sense the tide turning after the manager has a particularly strong go at them for example. Lo and behold all the decisions start going the other way.

So you have to play the dark arts a bit. Have a couple of players in the ref’s ear chipping away and pointing out every mistake. Same with the coaches. Get particularly vocal about the major decisions. Plant that seed.

Sadly I think Moore wants to be the good guy and not get involved in this stuff and we suffer because of it.

As for the refs, I think they need to train them in this stuff. Or maybe swap the refs and linesmen at half time to try and reduce the unconscious bias. But it needs sorting because players and coaches are getting cuter at working out how to get their way and it’s damaging the game. 

I rather think that Bannan and Paterson are in the ref's ear every game.  Baz has quite a record in the Alan Harper Awards to maintain.  

10 hours ago, Owling_Wolf said:

I rather think that Bannan and Paterson are in the ref's ear every game.  Baz has quite a record in the Alan Harper Awards to maintain.  

They’re not the only ones though. Yet other team’s players seem to influence the decisions in their favour.