Jump to content

S6 Foodbank, back at Hillsborough


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Reesh said:

Here he is Jeremy Corbyn

 

Got to be worth a small "Buy me a coffee" style donation to help fund the Owlsonline site each time that name gets dragged out on here in future.  Anyone think of an opposing name to balance it out?  

Are we up for this?  It's a good cause and would save us all from seeing this stuff ad nauseum. C'mon, you know it makes sense.  👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Reesh said:

How many of these reliant on food banks are smokers, drinkers, have multiple fucking kids they can't afford, have new mobile phones and sky?

 

It's bollocks

Would that include kids that people could afford until prices went mental?  Some recent price increases are insane.  And some folks on good salaries are going to get dragged into trouble if and when the petrol, gas and electric price rises kick in.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Owling_Wolf said:

Would that include kids that people could afford until prices went mental?  Some recent price increases are insane.  And some folks on good salaries are going to get dragged into trouble if and when the petrol, gas and electric price rises kick in.  

This statement is indicative of the problem. People for far too long have enjoyed low interest rates and have lived and enjoyed life to the very last penny of their salary each month with the next set of wages just coming in time.  Even before hitting any credit card grey may have. 

 

All of a sudden, this is being stretched and pushed to the limit and the 'affluent' are being dragged into a financial dilemma not of anyone's making but perhaps their own for not having savings. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Skamp said:

This statement is indicative of the problem. People for far too long have enjoyed low interest rates and have lived and enjoyed life to the very last penny of their salary each month with the next set of wages just coming in time.  Even before hitting any credit card grey may have. 

 

All of a sudden, this is being stretched and pushed to the limit and the 'affluent' are being dragged into a financial dilemma not of anyone's making but perhaps their own for not having savings. 

It’s an interesting point. But generationally we seem to now live a life where many are more materialistic than  ever. Trying to keep up with the jones’ is arguably more prevalent than ever, especially with the younger people due to living their lives on the internet and seeing others apparently having a better life of it via a very often, edited lens.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Skamp said:

This statement is indicative of the problem. People for far too long have enjoyed low interest rates and have lived and enjoyed life to the very last penny of their salary each month with the next set of wages just coming in time.  Even before hitting any credit card grey may have. 

 

All of a sudden, this is being stretched and pushed to the limit and the 'affluent' are being dragged into a financial dilemma not of anyone's making but perhaps their own for not having savings. 

Presumably going to be a firestorm of mortgages up the spout, too.  A far bigger problem for all those encouraged / lured into having them with relatively tiny deposits nowadays. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Live life frugally and you will be ok seems to be the view of a few… 

Classic divide and conquer - it’s your own fault .. you can afford fags, big tv’, no such thing as poverty.

It’s rhetoric pushed out and supported by the wealthy - through you TV, internet etc (historic tropes). You focus on you neighbour, the immigrant and benefit cheat.

Distracts you from the tax avoider (staffing levels between benefit cheat and tax avoidance! ) , the culmination of wealth into the top 10% (really 1% though), the power structures (revolving doors between HMRC & the big  5)and the reduced social mobility.

Still more people angry at those attending food banks - than others.. All Mick Lynch fault)

p.s. train Strike spoilt my Bolton plans .. bastards

UTO

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If we live in a country where the politicians, the media and general public get fixated by short termism, it should barely be a surprise that eventually we get found out. Covid, then the Ukrainian war have produced shocks to a system that opened up the cracks already there. 

But we are a nation that now expects quick fixes, that the Govt should solve. Nobody thinks they should have to cut back, re-focus their expectations and expenditure. 

An aside this week, my Mrs works at a local National Trust place. This week some kindly person had organised a trip for Ukrainian refugees. Widely described by the staff   as the rudest, most entitled ignorant set of individuals they have had in for a long time. Basically enjoying the free rider here in the UK 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, EBRA said:

Live life frugally and you will be ok seems to be the view of a few… 

Classic divide and conquer - it’s your own fault .. you can afford fags, big tv’, no such thing as poverty.

It’s rhetoric pushed out and supported by the wealthy - through you TV, internet etc (historic tropes). You focus on you neighbour, the immigrant and benefit cheat.

Distracts you from the tax avoider (staffing levels between benefit cheat and tax avoidance! ) , the culmination of wealth into the top 10% (really 1% though), the power structures (revolving doors between HMRC & the big  5)and the reduced social mobility.

Still more people angry at those attending food banks - than others.. All Mick Lynch fault)

p.s. train Strike spoilt my Bolton plans .. bastards

UTO

 

 

 

And you're the fucking idiot that panders to the notion that the wealthy don't pay their fair share because that's the bullshit you've been fed

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So easy to judge others when you’re ok, I think some are in for even more squeezing these next few months.

I’m massively worried for local business, cafes, boozers etc, their costs will go through the roof.

Love this freeloader argument, assuming everyone making it turned down the rebate off their council tax? What will you doing with your energy credit? Refuse that too? 
 

Some of the people looking down their noses at others might soon just know what it feels like to be in a tight spot

Nit to worry though, they’ll be first to give up beers, fags and what other little enjoyment they have in their lives 

Edited by Neville Facking Bartos
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

If we live in a country where the politicians, the media and general public get fixated by short termism, it should barely be a surprise that eventually we get found out. Covid, then the Ukrainian war have produced shocks to a system that opened up the cracks already there. 

But we are a nation that now expects quick fixes, that the Govt should solve. Nobody thinks they should have to cut back, re-focus their expectations and expenditure. 

An aside this week, my Mrs works at a local National Trust place. This week some kindly person had organised a trip for Ukrainian refugees. Widely described by the staff   as the rudest, most entitled ignorant set of individuals they have had in for a long time. Basically enjoying the free rider here in the UK 

 

Long term thinking is impossible when we keep switching leadership of the country - so when I say we I mean the governing party keeps switching its leader.. regardless of elections. 
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, Neville Facking Bartos said:

So easy to judge others when you’re ok, I think some are in for even more squeezing these next few months.

I’m massively worried for local business, cafes, boozers etc, their costs will go through the roof.

Love this freeloader argument, assuming everyone making it turned down the rebate off their council tax? What will you doing with your energy credit? Refuse that too? 
 

Some of the people looking down their noses at others might soon just know what it feels like to be in a tight spot

Nit to worry though, they’ll be first to give up beers, fags and what other little enjoyment they have in their lives 

I gave my season ticket up cos I couldn't afford it, I'm a bit skint this weekend but you won't see me using the food bank, I'm cutting my cloth accordingly. That's the fucking argument

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Reesh said:

And you're the fucking idiot that panders to the notion that the wealthy don't pay their fair share because that's the bullshit you've been fed

 

More about an alternative view of how things could be set up, and how current status quos are supported and reinforced than a debate regards proportionality and share of taxes for different groups being judge fair or unfair. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There’ll always be someone who takes ‘advantage’ of the system rather than it being utilised purely by those that truly need it or who it was intended for. 

The same argument has been made for years on so many other levels, unemployment benefits etc etc. 

However, loopholes are used by those at the top, not just in terms of taxes, but taking it back into football, clubs negotiating their way round FFP or pushing the boundaries (we’re obviously guilty of that) and more. There’s people taking the piss in all walks of life, on a wide range of things.

Food banks are here seemingly to stay. And it’s shit that it’s come to the point that some people legitimately need them. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, HoylandOwl said:

There’ll always be someone who takes ‘advantage’ of the system rather than it being utilised purely by those that truly need it or who it was intended for. 

The same argument has been made for years on so many other levels, unemployment benefits etc etc. 

However, loopholes are used by those at the top, not just in terms of taxes, but taking it back into football, clubs negotiating their way round FFP or pushing the boundaries (we’re obviously guilty of that) and more. There’s people taking the piss in all walks of life, on a wide range of things.

Food banks are here seemingly to stay. And it’s shit that it’s come to the point that some people legitimately need them. 

How shit is it that some people working full time need them?  And that some employers have set up in-house ones for their employees?  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Owling_Wolf said:

How shit is it that some people working full time need them?  And that some employers have set up in-house ones for their employees?  

I would have more empathy if people had a GCSE pass in basic budgeting. I go back to my youth and I know my Mum cut her cloth accordingly. So deemed luxuries like a phone were out the question, we rented stuff like TVs, a holiday was a week, clothes were out the catalogue paid weekly, takeaways about twice a year, meals out a rare event. Perhaps what we need is a form of reality check but realise its still shit loads better than the past. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

I would have more empathy if people had a GCSE pass in basic budgeting. I go back to my youth and I know my Mum cut her cloth accordingly. So deemed luxuries like a phone were out the question, we rented stuff like TVs, a holiday was a week, clothes were out the catalogue paid weekly, takeaways about twice a year, meals out a rare event. Perhaps what we need is a form of reality check but realise its still shit loads better than the past. 

 

Takeaways?   LUXURY!   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Professor Plum said:

With ref. to the food banks. Surely there's checks on people using them to ensure they are in need of the service? The reason I ask is I'm on an app called Nextdoor.co.uk, not sure if it operates in Sheffield or not. Anyway, the other week this mouthpiece on there was more or less advertising one particular food bank down in Weston I think it was where it was just get down there and help yourself, no checks at all. Inviting people up from Portsmouth to fill their boots. TWAT.

Yes, that’s on other places. Not far from me the pricks that are on it are bigger belters than any on Facebook. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 13/08/2022 at 21:10, HoylandOwl said:

There’ll always be someone who takes ‘advantage’ of the system rather than it being utilised purely by those that truly need it or who it was intended for. 

The same argument has been made for years on so many other levels, unemployment benefits etc etc. 

However, loopholes are used by those at the top, not just in terms of taxes, but taking it back into football, clubs negotiating their way round FFP or pushing the boundaries (we’re obviously guilty of that) and more. There’s people taking the piss in all walks of life, on a wide range of things.

Food banks are here seemingly to stay. And it’s shit that it’s come to the point that some people legitimately need them. 

Tell you something, food banks are going to be in overdrive come Winter

Seeing what's going on with energy prices - far out! I'm genuinely concerned for the state of the UK come Winter, with families and businesses affording the energy bills

I experienced fuel poverty here when we couldn't afford to keep our house warm in Winter because of the ridiculous price it cost. We don't have central heating here as we're a bit behind the times still. Living in a single-glazed poorly insulated house not fit for this day and age was a wake up call. It's not a nice experience, being severly ill and living in a freezing home.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Kiwi Owl said:

Tell you something, food banks are going to be in overdrive come Winter

Seeing what's going on with energy prices - far out! I'm genuinely concerned for the state of the UK come Winter, with families and businesses affording the energy bills

I experienced fuel poverty here when we couldn't afford to keep our house warm in Winter because of the ridiculous price it cost. We don't have central heating here as we're a bit behind the times still. Living in a single-glazed poorly insulated house not fit for this day and age was a wake up call. It's not a nice experience, being severly ill and living in a freezing home.

 

It’s a horrible prospect this summer for so many. I’m genuinely worried what our landlord will do next year with our rent when our contract comes up for renewal, it’s expensive already and I can’t see anything other than it going up. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...