DC on retaining players/selling players

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/football/news/dejphon-chansiri-transfer-sheffield-wednesday-24008188

On anyone leaving: “I have not heard anything at the moment but I don't know what will happen this summer. It depends what interest we get in our players.

"If we get offers for players that we can't refuse and we believe we can replace them, then we will make a decision. If we don't get good offers or we don't believe we can do better, then we need to weigh things up."

“We want to win and believe we can be successful. But if other clubs offer them more money, then maybe they will leave. 

"I have my line. If you cross that line, then I can't accept."

"We will need to replace the ones who leave and try to get better in. We are still talking and we will release the list soon when everything is finalised."

I think he trusts Moore to replace anyone if we sell them on. Moore was working on this season's squad as far back as the previous March. I'd have expected him to have done the same from this March and I don't expect there to have been two lists (Championship and League 1) I believe he thinks he could attract the same players, regardless.

Edited by Tylluan
  • Like 1

The Owls can confirm our player retention list following the conclusion of the 2021/22 season.

Saido Berahino, Chey Dunkley and Sam Hutchinson will be released upon the expiry of their current contracts, while the club have exercised an option to retain Marvin Johnson.

New contract offers have been made to Jack Hunt, Massimo Luongo, Nathaniel Mendez-Laing and Joe Wildsmith.

Loanees Harlee Dean, Lewis Gibson, Tyreece John-Jules, Florian Kamberi, Bailey Peacock-Farrell, Olamide Shodipo and Jordan Storey return to their parent clubs.

Sheffield Wednesday would like to thank all departing players for their services and wish them well for the future.

I think one factor is we had the 2nd highest average aged squad and it needs to be brought down, whilst increasing the mobility of the side.

Berahino simply never did enough to justify a new contract

Dunkley had a reasonable spell last autumn that held us together in truth at the back, but again not done enough.

Hutch I can accept the views of many on here, but sometimes you simply have to move on with players. Whilst he played a lot of games his historical injury record hangs against him

Just now, holmesfield_owl said:

The fact we've dumped Sam again without allowing him and the fans a proper goodbye is what's gonna piss people off in my opinion. Also what's the pointputting all the time in getting Saido up to speed and scoring to not then trigger the extension

This. 

20 minutes ago, Reesh said:

Hutch should have a coaching role at the club. 

The end. 

Whilst I agree with this, it's the right time to call time on his playing career. Hirst jr ran him ragged with his flip flops on. I love Hutch he's been unreal for us and I'm genuinely thankful he came back, but we need better for next season and beyond.

23 minutes ago, holmesfield_owl said:

The fact we've dumped Sam again without allowing him and the fans a proper goodbye is what's gonna piss people off in my opinion. Also what's the pointputting all the time in getting Saido up to speed and scoring to not then trigger the extension

So what exactly is a proper goodbye, he played in the last match of the regular season and did the lap of honour with the rest of the squad.

1 hour ago, Reesh said:

Hutch should have a coaching role at the club. 

The end. 

Totally agree.I would have given him a one year playing contract on the same salary and started him off on obtaining coaching badges so he could be used as a coach at the end of his playing career. He would be a better defensive coach than others at the club.

Thing with Hutch is that he’s versatile and can play in more than one position. He was certainly worth retaining for that reason alone.

Then there’s his experience and potential to become a valuable member of our back room staff.

I think the club have made a mistake not offering him another 12 months - unless of course Hutch has something lined up and has indicated his desire to move on from S6.

Definitely been a great servant to SWFC and will be missed by many!

I don't think it's a sentiment thing with Hutch. Is he good enough to play CB in this league? 2 right he is. Can we get better? I doubt it. Could we get younger? Yes. 

Put aside the fact that he loves the club, he's more than good enough. 

If only we had more like him, both as a player and a person 

I think he's looked poorer in the last quarter of the season, I'm not sure if he was carrying a knock or what, but strikers have deliberately targeted him (which has NEVER happened before). His heart and attitude are unquestionable and have dug him out of a few scrapes, but as much as it pains me to say it...I think it's the right call

2 hours ago, Mark said:

I don't think it's a sentiment thing with Hutch. Is he good enough to play CB in this league? 2 right he is. Can we get better? I doubt it. Could we get younger? Yes. 

Put aside the fact that he loves the club, he's more than good enough. 

If only we had more like him, both as a player and a person 

As we all know, (shudder), plenty of sides in our league play fairly physical up-and-at-'em "football".  I don't think Sam's up to that any more. They often have much bigger forwards than him, so typically he'll be played wider than normal or he'll get battered, much to our detriment and his. 

I also don't believe he's got the legs any more to play in midfield or at fullback, things he could do with aplomb in earlier times.  

57 minutes ago, Owling_Wolf said:

As we all know, (shudder), plenty of sides in our league play fairly physical up-and-at-'em "football".  I don't think Sam's up to that any more. They often have much bigger forwards than him, so typically he'll be played wider than normal or he'll get battered, much to our detriment and his. 

I also don't believe he's got the legs any more to play in midfield or at fullback, things he could do with aplomb in earlier times.  

I think yor right re midfield for sure. I think if he was centre of a 3, if that's what we're going to do, he'd be OK as he'd be the one dictating the play, but yes he could get exposed right or, certainly left. I admit I'm biased as he's far and away my favourite player of recent years 

Mr Gibson….

on leaving.

“A special club which will be back where it belongs, I have no doubt...

"On a personal note, it has been such a tough year and I am gutted I wasn't able to help the team more to achieve what we set out to do. Everything happens for a reason. Thank you @swfcofficial."

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/football/news/everton-youngster-sheffield-wednesday-message-24046670

1 hour ago, HoylandOwl said:

According to the Star, talks with Bailey Cadamarteri are ‘moving forward nicely’

Know it might sound stupid but why should it just be in the "moving forward nicely" stage?

Bailey, we'd love you to stay and think you can have a great future with us.

Well, I love it here too and I want stay.

Great. Well here's your development plan and a relevant salary package with increasing performance incentives. 

That looks (whisper, whisper, whisper) erm, erm.

And then the agent steps in and says that in light of the offer Bailey would like time to review and come back with a counter offer

• Like 1

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/football/news/dejphon-chansiri-wednesday-transfer-business-24050761

Owls chairman Dejphon Chansiri admits the club could target players from abroad as they look to assemble a promotion-winning team. Work is well under way ahead of the summer transfer window reopening on June 10.

Several players from overseas moved to Hillsborough last year, including Sylla Sow, Florian Kamberi and Saido Berahino, and there is a strong possibility Wednesday could raid that market again ahead of the 2022/23 season. The Owls have already drawn up a list of potential transfer targets.

Chansiri told Yorkshire Live: "Our approach is the same every season. We look in the UK market first before looking at options abroad."We look to see who is available and will fit in with the team, it depends what we need. We will try to bring in the best players whether they are permanent or on loan."

Wednesday narrowly missed out on their objective of immediate promotion back to the Championship, losing 2-1 on aggregate to Sunderland in the League One play-offs. It is the third time in six years Wednesday have come up short in the end-of-season jamboree.

"Of course I was disappointed," said Chansiri. "I want to win.

"Our side tried hard. We did better in the second leg but, in the end, it wasn’t enough. We accept the result and move on."

11 hours ago, Reesh said:

Aaahh good old Wednesday fans, finding fault and fear in every fucking story. 

Speaking of fear/and our fans...

Windass was getting shirty last night on twitter after some of our fans were talking about how we should be letting him go with this bid by the South American team... 

1 hour ago, HoylandOwl said:

Speaking of fear/and our fans...

Windass was getting shirty last night on twitter after some of our fans were talking about how we should be letting him go with this bid by the South American team... 

If it was posted on his Twitter feed or they tagged him then he's every reason to get shirty, but if it was a general chat and he jumped in then he shouldn't be getting involved. 

Imagine if players we talked about on here jumped on the site and responded. 

I think there were a few tags of him from what I could see. 

What was funny though is he had a pop at Wigan's fans, with something like...

Respect Wigan as a club and the staff, but the fans are a bit busy. If they turned up in the ground like they do on here (twitter), their ground would be full. 

🤣

15 minutes ago, HarrySpeakup said:

“Several players from overseas moved to Hillsborough last year, including Sylla Sow, Florian Kamberi and Saido Berahino”

Such a successful strategy we’re looking to do it again

bonkers 

To be fair, I thought Berahino did well once we got him upto scratch, I found it a bit mind boggling that we put all that work into a player only to let him go - he knows where the net is, a full pre season could've seen us with a decent striker up top with Gregory (if he stays)

2 hours ago, owl4ever1867 said:

To be fair, I thought Berahino did well once we got him upto scratch, I found it a bit mind boggling that we put all that work into a player only to let him go - he knows where the net is, a full pre season could've seen us with a decent striker up top with Gregory (if he stays)

Been told that Berahino was on some sort of incentivised pay as you play contract and if we'd have kept him it would have to been on a salaried contract

• Like 1

10 hours ago, HoylandOwl said:

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/football/news/dejphon-chansiri-wednesday-transfer-business-24050761

Owls chairman Dejphon Chansiri admits the club could target players from abroad as they look to assemble a promotion-winning team. Work is well under way ahead of the summer transfer window reopening on June 10.

Several players from overseas moved to Hillsborough last year, including Sylla Sow, Florian Kamberi and Saido Berahino, and there is a strong possibility Wednesday could raid that market again ahead of the 2022/23 season. The Owls have already drawn up a list of potential transfer targets.

Chansiri told Yorkshire Live: "Our approach is the same every season. We look in the UK market first before looking at options abroad."We look to see who is available and will fit in with the team, it depends what we need. We will try to bring in the best players whether they are permanent or on loan."

Wednesday narrowly missed out on their objective of immediate promotion back to the Championship, losing 2-1 on aggregate to Sunderland in the League One play-offs. It is the third time in six years Wednesday have come up short in the end-of-season jamboree.

"Of course I was disappointed," said Chansiri. "I want to win.

"Our side tried hard. We did better in the second leg but, in the end, it wasn’t enough. We accept the result and move on."

See my post in the Wednesday transfer thread, getting work permits/GBE's for foreign players is not going to be easy. I'm sure the club are well aware of it, I just wonder if many fans are. It's .... erm..... going to be interesting for clubs further down the food chain, like us, trying to sign these players.

Scouted a great player in the Czech First League who played 70% of his teams games last season, when the club finished mid table and he has no international caps? Not much chance of him getting a work permit. Everyone is going to be fishing in a much smaller pond.

19 minutes ago, HoylandOwl said:

Yeah, you’re right to that extent Paul. But, we’ve been shopping in that pond before, and with people who are used to dealing in that pond too.

As long as we don’t get another Kim Olsen, we’ll be ok. 😀

Kim wouldn't have got a work permit under the new system. Thank god!!! 🙂

1 hour ago, paulvcooke said:

See my post in the Wednesday transfer thread, getting work permits/GBE's for foreign players is not going to be easy. I'm sure the club are well aware of it, I just wonder if many fans are. It's .... erm..... going to be interesting for clubs further down the food chain, like us, trying to sign these players.

Scouted a great player in the Czech First League who played 70% of his teams games last season, when the club finished mid table and he has no international caps? Not much chance of him getting a work permit. Everyone is going to be fishing in a much smaller pond.

My best mate's job is processing football related work permits at Home Office. 

He has some interesting personal rules...

1 hour ago, paulvcooke said:

How old is your Czech player? Appropriate youth caps count for under 24s. There's also the exceptions panel if a player has 10-14 points. 

There's also nothing to stop us buying him, he just can't play or train without a GBE.  So get him then loan him out to the right club to get the points for the season after. Other clubs do it.

36 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

How old is your Czech player? Appropriate youth caps count for under 24s. There's also the exceptions panel if a player has 10-14 points. 

There's also nothing to stop us buying him, he just can't play or train without a GBE.  So get him then loan him out to the right club to get the points for the season after. Other clubs do it.

I'm aware of the youth caps thing, also the exemptions panel, which is for exceptional circumstances, which I don't believe would apply in the example I gave for league band reasons (Thats the reason I chose a band 4 league).

I was just pointing out that we are now fishing in a much smaller pond and decent players from abroad (for our level) may not be as readily available as before.

And yes, other clubs do get in players and then loan them out until they get a permit, do you honestly think that Wednesday are in the same bracket as the these clubs?

And can you imagine the uproar from some fans if the club knowingly and willingly signed a player they knew they could not get a work permit for. I think a club in our position is much better off spending money on players we can actually play.