DC on retaining players/selling players

On 25/05/2022 at 17:30, paulvcooke said:

See my post in the Wednesday transfer thread, getting work permits/GBE's for foreign players is not going to be easy. I'm sure the club are well aware of it, I just wonder if many fans are. It's .... erm..... going to be interesting for clubs further down the food chain, like us, trying to sign these players.

Scouted a great player in the Czech First League who played 70% of his teams games last season, when the club finished mid table and he has no international caps? Not much chance of him getting a work permit. Everyone is going to be fishing in a much smaller pond.

Who was the Yugoslavian centre forward we were stopped from having back in the day - in Big Jack's time here?  'The Vulture' or some such.  I remember we were most unhappy with the decision.  

1 hour ago, Owling_Wolf said:

Who was the Yugoslavian centre forward we were stopped from having back in the day - in Big Jack's time here?  'The Vulture' or some such.  I remember we were most unhappy with the decision.  

Don't know if this is the player but Safet Susic biog says a move to England in 1981 broke down and he ended up moving to PSG. He was Yugoslavia player of the year the season before and top scorer. 

The Vulture was Butragueño's nickname but he didn't make his Madrid debut until 84

Edited by Tylluan

1 hour ago, MPB said:

Same time as Ante joined?

I think we signed Ante a little later.

Can remember the failed signing episode really well, but not enough to remember his name!

I think we were (typically) the first club to fall foul of the rules they brought in regarding players having to be full internationals.

10 hours ago, cheat said:

I think we signed Ante a little later.

Can remember the failed signing episode really well, but not enough to remember his name!

I think we were (typically) the first club to fall foul of the rules they brought in regarding players having to be full internationals.

Did Steve Gibson have anything to do with it?

13 hours ago, Tylluan said:

Don't know if this is the player but Safet Susic biog says a move to England in 1981 broke down and he ended up moving to PSG. He was Yugoslavia player of the year the season before and top scorer. 

The Vulture was Butragueño's nickname but he didn't make his Madrid debut until 84

Pretty sure not Susic & definitely not the well known Spanish lad.  It's one of those where I'd recognise the name but not think of it myself.  I'm just off walking but when I remember I'll look through my old programmes. It was a big issue for us whenever it was so if I've got some from the right time it'll be mentioned. There was no other source of club info back then.