Current Squad - What Next ?

You are in charge of the rebuild - what happens with the current squad ?

Contracted:

Bannan

Windass

Iorfa

Byers

Gregory

FDB

Adeniran

Dawson

Brown

Alex Hunt

Out of Contract:

Luongo

Berahino

Paterson

Jack Hunt

Palmer

Dunkley

Hutchinson

Wildsmith

Sow (?)

NML (?)

Johnson (?)

Expired Loans:

BPF

Dean

Gibson

Shodipo

Kamberi

Storey

John Jules

Contracted:

Bannan - keep if willing to stay

Windass - sell 

Iorfa - build fitness and keep

Byers - keep

Gregory - keep

FDB - play more

Adeniran - hopefully fit

Dawson - first choice keeper ?

Brown - sell 

Alex Hunt - if not playing sell or release

Out of Contract:

Luongo - offer 1 year but think will depart

Berahino - release

Paterson - offer 1 year

Jack Hunt - another year.  Also think has option in contract

Palmer - offer 2 year

Dunkley - release

Hutchinson - torn as love Hutch - Player Coach ?

Wildsmith - release

Sow (?) - release

NML (?) - offer 1 year

Johnson (?) - offer 1 year 

Expired Loans:

BPF - will be playing Championship

Dean - try to sign

Gibson - try to sign depending on fitness

Shodipo - back to QPR

Kamberi - back to Switzerland ?

Storey - can't see Preston selling

John Jules - ???

53 minutes ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

Contracted:

Bannan - keep if willing to stay

Windass - sell 

Iorfa - build fitness and keep

Byers - keep

Gregory - keep

FDB - play more

Adeniran - hopefully fit

Dawson - first choice keeper ?

Brown - sell 

Alex Hunt - if not playing sell or release

Out of Contract:

Luongo - offer 1 year but think will depart

Berahino - release

Paterson - offer 1 year

Jack Hunt - another year.  Also think has option in contract

Palmer - offer 2 year

Dunkley - release

Hutchinson - torn as love Hutch - Player Coach ?

Wildsmith - release

Sow (?) - release

NML (?) - offer 1 year

Johnson (?) - offer 1 year 

Expired Loans:

BPF - will be playing Championship

Dean - try to sign

Gibson - try to sign depending on fitness

Shodipo - back to QPR

Kamberi - back to Switzerland ?

Storey - can't see Preston selling

John Jules - ???

Personally wouldn't try to sign Gibson, far too injury prone, especially considering hes still only 21.

1 hour ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

Contracted:

Bannan SELL

Windass SELL

Iorfa SELL

Byers - RENEW

Gregory - KEEP

FDB - RENEW

Adeniran - RENEW

Dawson - SELL

Brown - RELEASE

Alex Hunt - RENEW

Out of Contract:

Luongo - RENEW

Berahino - RENEW

Paterson - RENEW

Jack Hunt - RENEW

Palmer - RELEASE

Dunkley - RENEW

Hutchinson - RENEW

Wildsmith  - RENEW

Sow (?) - RELEASE

NML (?) - RENEW

Johnson (?) - RENEW

Expired Loans:

BPF - BYE

Dean - SIGN - CAPTAIN

Gibson - OFFER 12mth

Shodipo - BYE BYE

Kamberi - Bye Bye

Storey - SIGN

John Jules - WHOO

2 hours ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

Contracted:

Bannan keep

Windass sell 

Iorfa sell 

Byers keep 

Gregory keep ( build a team around his and Bannans strengths )

FDB keep 

Adeniran keep 

Dawson sell 

Brown sell

Alex Hunt sell 

Out of Contract:

Loungo offer 1-2 years deal 

Berahino offer 1 year 

Paterson release 

Jack Hunt offer 1-2 Y D 

Palmer

Dunkley release 

Hutchinson offer 1-2 YD

Wildsmith release 

Sow (?) release 

NML (?) offer 1 yd

Johnson (?) offer 1-2 yd 

Expired Loans:

BPF try and get back  he’s been decent overall 

Dean offer 1-2 YD

Gibson try another loan 

Shodipo no thanks 

Kamberi no Fooking thanks 

Storey offer 2-3 YD 

John Jules maybe? try another loan spell  

It is still going to be a large turnover of players - but then I think a lot of clubs will be doing similar 

We pulled a few surprises last year, but a lot never did contribute and won't be missed

So you work on the basis of 2 players for each outfield position and importantly how we intend to play and set up 

I can't see the 3-5-2 changing - hence the wing backs are crucial. 

3 hours ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

Contracted:

Bannan - keep

Windass - sell

Iorfa - sell

Byers - keep

Gregory - keep

FDB - keep

Adeniran - keep

Dawson - sell

Brown - free

Alex Hunt - sell

Out of Contract:

Luongo - release

Berahino - release

Paterson - release

Jack Hunt - offer one year

Palmer - release

Dunkley - release

Hutchinson - offer one year

Wildsmith - release

Sow (?) - release

NML (?) - release

Johnson (?) - offer one year

Expired Loans:

BPF

Dean - try to sign

Gibson

Shodipo

Kamberi

Storey - try to loan/sign

John Jules

This is really tricky. Do we build round Bannan again? But what happens if he gets injured? Do we put younger, more athletic, legs in the middle and try and boss the game that way? 

Windass on a year left with his recent injury record and we'd be lucky to get £600k for him. So I'd keep him. If he has an injury free season then he could be one of the missing cogs.

If a Championship club came in and offered £1m for Bannan then I'd be clearing his locker out for him but I'm not selling to a League 1 rival. If he stays then I'd want to stick a years extension on, just for future resale value.

I'd offer deals to Hutch and Hunt and Johnson if his deal doesn't carry him through but I'd wave goodbye to Paterson and the others out of contract. I think we're stuck with Brown, unless we release him, as no one would want to buy him. 

There'll be a lot of lads around 24 being released because they can't play 23s football anymore and they don't make their current club's first team squad. Some of these will have first team experience in and around where we are now and they're the ones we need to be targeting. 

9 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

This is really tricky. Do we build round Bannan again? But what happens if he gets injured? Do we put younger, more athletic, legs in the middle and try and boss the game that way? 

Windass on a year left with his recent injury record and we'd be lucky to get £600k for him. So I'd keep him. If he has an injury free season then he could be one of the missing cogs.

If a Championship club came in and offered £1m for Bannan then I'd be clearing his locker out for him but I'm not selling to a League 1 rival. If he stays then I'd want to stick a years extension on, just for future resale value.

I'd offer deals to Hutch and Hunt and Johnson if his deal doesn't carry him through but I'd wave goodbye to Paterson and the others out of contract. I think we're stuck with Brown, unless we release him, as no one would want to buy him. 

There'll be a lot of lads around 24 being released because they can't play 23s football anymore and they don't make their current club's first team squad. Some of these will have first team experience in and around where we are now and they're the ones we need to be targeting. 

Interesting points of view Ty, I agree with you with Bannan. I said to the lad last night that, I’d like him to stay, but if we get a 7 figure sum we maybe have to let him go. 

The recruitment shackles aren’t as tight this coming summer, so hopefully we won’t be taking pot luck on players like Brown, and Andre Green before him. It’s still not going to be easy, but we’re stepping up to shopping at Tesco rather than Lidl’s middle aisle!

A mate suggested Hutchinson waved as he left the field last night and that might be a goodbye, no idea if it was and didn't see it myself. Decisions need to be made swiftly and concisely, if Dawson isn't to be first choice next season then he needs to be sold and a replacement identified and recruited. I pray Burnley get relegated, Pope leaves and they have no choice but to rely on that fuck up they lumbered us with. Big summer coming up, interesting to see what happens... Edited by Otto_Man

6 minutes ago, Andyben said:

Release Luongo. Best Midfielder at the club. FFS who gave him the new website details

Would we get 30+ games out of him though? It's like someone else said, he's looking like he's 35 when he's playing and I can see him leaving to play in a retirement home league. 

5 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

Would we get 30+ games out of him though? It's like someone else said, he's looking like he's 35 when he's playing and I can see him leaving to play in a retirement home league. 

Agree with this 2 some extent. For a lot of games our midfield 3 has been more than good enough. All 3 at same time against aggressive, mobile, physical sides, it absolutely does not. 1 or 2 of those shouldn't play in those games. I'd be happy for all 3 to stay but if they don't it won't upset me. 

You know your players Ty, I saw a lad 4 Sutton Utd at weekend, Alistair (?) Smith, midfield, big physical lad but got about the pitch, first time seen him, quite impressed. I know it's only Sutton but....... 

Having only seen him once, he obviously may not be any better than FDB etc but he's the type we need in some games 

If someone came in and offered a million for Iorfa, I’d take it. If someone offered half a million for Windass, I’d take it. If someone offered a million for Bannan. I’d take it. I think Bannan needs a crack at the prem in a better team than us, and he needs to take any team that can offer that. Iorfa is effectively rebuilding his career again after 2 years out. 

I’d keep:

Anyone in contract, we keep, with the exception of Brown, who I would release. Of those out of contract, I’d keep Palmer, Johnson, Hunt, Hutch, NML and Luongo.

I’d try and get Dean and Storey in permanent. I’d not touch Gibson with a barge pole, he’s a crock of the highest order - despite the fact that I think he’s a really good player.

And then every signing we make has to be good enough to get us up, and be good in the division above, is under the age of 26, and hasn’t been injured.

When you look at this seasons recruitment, more have spent time on the treatment table than they have on the pitch. 

2 hours ago, Tylluan said:

He played 30 matches this season Ty.

Was like the old Mass these last two games, breaking forward and taking the  game to Sunderland.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mark said:

You know your players Ty, I saw a lad 4 Sutton Utd at weekend, Alistair (?) Smith, midfield, big physical lad but got about the pitch, first time seen him, quite impressed. I know it's only Sutton but....... 

Having only seen him once, he obviously may not be any better than FDB etc but he's the type we need in some games 

Funnily enough, just before Clough was announced as Mansfield manager I was asked to do an analytical breakdown on each of Mansfield's squad. I said Smith was raw and could probably benefit from a loan spell so he went to Altrincham. As the loan was coming to an end I was asked to do another breakdown. I knew Altrincham wanted him so said in my report that if he wasn't in Clough's plans then they'd be better seeing what they could get for him, so Altrincham paid £150k. 

Altrincham made £50k on the sale to Sutton and they also have a sell on clause. I've just looked at him for this season and he's got an impressive engine. His clean tackle ratio is good and 8 goals are a good contribution. His heat map shows he might still be a little raw (wanting to be everywhere) but he's only 22. 

I think FDB and Adeniran are both better but Smith won't be at Sutton for long if he keeps progressing.

25 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

Funnily enough, just before Clough was announced as Mansfield manager I was asked to do an analytical breakdown on each of Mansfield's squad. I said Smith was raw and could probably benefit from a loan spell so he went to Altrincham. As the loan was coming to an end I was asked to do another breakdown. I knew Altrincham wanted him so said in my report that if he wasn't in Clough's plans then they'd be better seeing what they could get for him, so Altrincham paid £150k. 

Altrincham made £50k on the sale to Sutton and they also have a sell on clause. I've just looked at him for this season and he's got an impressive engine. His clean tackle ratio is good and 8 goals are a good contribution. His heat map shows he might still be a little raw (wanting to be everywhere) but he's only 22. 

I think FDB and Adeniran are both better but Smith won't be at Sutton for long if he keeps progressing.

Interesting. Thanks 4 that. Yes he is raw, and as you say FDB and Andeniran are at the moment better, but I suspect in the right hands this lad could improve and may be an investment 

Strikes me we are all broadly saying the same with a few assumptions about offers from Championship clubs which you have to assume will come.

Id be surprised if we didn't get some silly offers (low ones) and maybe some realistic ones. Thing is selling any of them isn't going to plug the hole in the finances. However, unless any of the outgoing are prepared to take lower wages, e.g. Luongo, I think most of those signed in the Championship will leave - like we saw last summer.

Id love to see Dean come here but a, I suspect other Championship teams will be interested and b, on balance I'd prefer to find a L1/ L2 or Prem cast off for Lowe wages that is younger and wanting to develop, e.g. like when we got the likes of Whelan, Brunt etc.

Assuming players are going to stay fit but FDB, Byers and Adreniran have the legs and some guile for the majority of games if complimented with intelligent Stikers and wing backs. I'd like BB to stay if he's committed to the cause, to the extent he has been this season. To be fair to him his fitness levels have been very good this season.

Contracted:

Bannan - keep

Windass - keep

Iorfa - sell

Byers - keep

Gregory - keep

FDB - keep

Adeniran - keep

Dawson - really don’t know.

Brown - get rid

Alex Hunt - with regret, leave

Palmer - keep

Out of Contract:

Luongo - keep, but I think he’ll think he can play at Championship level and will reject our offer

Berahino - release

Paterson - release, I think. I like him, but …

Jack Hunt - keeP

Dunkley - release

Hutchinson - keep on a one year deal. 

Wildsmith - release, I think.

Sow (?) - release

NML (?) - release 

Johnson (?) - keep

Expired Loans:

BPF - wouldn’t try to get him back. I think we have to try and sort ourselves our own keeper. If we can’t then I think there are better loan options out there.

Dean - try to sign

Gibson - too injury prone, only try to get him if the deal worked for us, a pay as you play type thing if that’s possible somehow on loan deals

Shodipo - bye

Kamberi - bye

Storey - would imagine there’s no chance. He’s definitely a Championship player imo. If Preston don’t want him then I think someone else at that level will.

John Jules - no thanks

Out of Contract:

Luongo - will be off

Berahino - 12 month deal

Paterson - new deal, valuable as a Utility Player and Plan B

Jack Hunt - new deal

Palmer - nice bloke but has cost us numerous goals this season, release

Dunkley - release

Hutchinson - new deal

Wildsmith - release

Sow (?) - release

NML (?) - new deal

Johnson (?) - release

Expired Loans:

BPF - try and buy

Dean - sign

Gibson - release

Shodipo - release

Kamberi - 12 month deal as a squad player

Storey - another loan or try and buy if he can't break into Preston's team

John Jules - release

Kingy, you'd keep Paterson because of his versatility but you'd release Johnson, who grew into his defensive role and, since Christmas, has provided the most assists and 2nd assists and been one of our biggest attacking threats while playing in his more natural role? 

Just on Paterson. He's become almost that Sunday league sub. The one who turns up one morning carrying his boots and says he plays anywhere then regularly does. He can't play centre back in a back 3. He can't really play wing back anymore and we'll bring at least two of those in to replace Shodipo and Corbeanu. We'll hopefully bring at least two forwards in so he doesn't fit as a forwards sub. If Luongo goes then he'll be replaced and we already have FDB and Adeniran on the books, plus Hunt if we don't release him or send him out again. 

I'm struggling to find a place for him, to be honest. 

But if Johnson isn't tied to the club for another year then he'll have no shortage of offers.

• Like 1

Luongo - Think he’s off but I’d keep.

Berahino - trigger his 12 month deal

Paterson - let him leave, thanks for the effort though. 

Jack Hunt - new deal

Palmer - decent squad player, and still under contract till next summer I think. 

Dunkley - release

Hutchinson - Definitely keep 

Wildsmith - release

Sow  - release

NML  - let him go. Too hot and cold, not enough composure in crucial situations 

Johnson - Keep.

Expired Loans:

BPF - He won’t be coming back anyway. 
Gavin Bazunu apparently said to be leaving Man City, get him in.

Dean - sign

Gibson - release

Shodipo - release

Kamberi - thanks, but no thanks. 

Storey - try to get back in one way or another

John Jules - Made of wet cardboard, stay away. 

1 hour ago, Tylluan said:

Kingy, you'd keep Paterson because of his versatility but you'd release Johnson, who grew into his defensive role and, since Christmas, has provided the most assists and 2nd assists and been one of our biggest attacking threats while playing in his more natural role? 

Just on Paterson. He's become almost that Sunday league sub. The one who turns up one morning carrying his boots and says he plays anywhere then regularly does. He can't play centre back in a back 3. He can't really play wing back anymore and we'll bring at least two of those in to replace Shodipo and Corbeanu. We'll hopefully bring at least two forwards in so he doesn't fit as a forwards sub. If Luongo goes then he'll be replaced and we already have FDB and Adeniran on the books, plus Hunt if we don't release him or send him out again. 

But if Johnson isn't tied to the club for another year then he'll have no shortage of offers.

Yep said same about Paterson… he’ll play anywhere… badly

2 hours ago, Tylluan said:

Sorry, that was a typo on Johnson, would definitely keep him! Probably our second best player this season.

I just think Paterson is a useful player, probably his best position as a target man of sorts either knocking defenders about late on or nicking a vital goal when required, which he's done a few times previously. He's also great for the dressing room and apparently the most popular bloke in the squad so good for team culture and spirit etc.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion on Moore, but I've enjoyed the football on show this season way more than I have probably since Carlos' first season.

Will he get us up? Fuck knows, I hope so, but I don't want promotion at any cost. We were relatively successful under Gray, but the football was so awful, I stopped going. Couldn't watch an Alex Neill or Gareth Ainsworth team, even if they finished top...

• Like 1