It's not just us

Article in todays Times sports section about Wrexham - apparently their fans and players hate the Pigs so much so that their X/Twitter went into meltdown when they were spanked 8-0 by Newcastle. All to do with the Pigs player attitude when they met in the cup

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lobster said:

Article in todays Times sports section about Wrexham - apparently their fans and players hate the Pigs so much so that their X/Twitter went into meltdown when they were spanked 8-0 by Newcastle. All to do with the Pigs player attitude when they met in the cup

Billy Sharp wasn't it.

I remember Sturrocks first game in charge I think it was. Wrexham away and we spanked them from memory. Fuck me they wanted a piece of us after the game 😂 Sheep shagging twats. Respect for hating the grunters though.

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, Laceups said:

I remember Sturrocks first game in charge I think it was. Wrexham away and we spanked them from memory. Fuck me they wanted a piece of us after the game 😂 Sheep shagging twats. Respect for hating the grunters though.

3-0, just off the top?  Chris Brunt free kick over the wall.  (Great to see Brunty again at the Baggies game.)

Edited by Owling_Wolf
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Laceups said:

I can’t remember if Proudlock was VERY good or very bad that day. But there was something about that game and him wasn’t there?

31 minutes ago, Tank_Owl2,0 said:

I don’t like Wrexham because a) they have a US owner and b) because of all the attention/ hype they are getting as a tinpot, won nothing of note club.

C) They shouldn't even be in the league.

• Like 1

Got some right memories of going away to Wrexham in the 1970s.  Just off the top, a forward line of Tynan, Wylde & Bradshaw under Len Ashurst.  The team that stopped the downward spiral before Big Jack started us climbing back up.  I think they were Div. 3 Champions that season but we got a cracking 2-2 draw there.

2 hours ago, Owling_Wolf said:

Got some right memories of going away to Wrexham in the 1970s.  Just off the top, a forward line of Tynan, Wylde & Bradshaw under Len Ashurst.  The team that stopped the downward spiral before Big Jack started us climbing back up.  I think they were Div. 3 Champions that season but we got a cracking 2-2 draw there.

Beat em 2-1 at Hillsborough too, think it was last game of season even though it was a midweek game. 

2 hours ago, Owling_Wolf said:

Was 1-1 Fred.

4 minutes ago, Owling_Wolf said:

You bad 'un!  I nearly fell for that.  😁

Rodg & Paul Bradshaw.  

Per Adrian Bullock website the season Wrexham won the title we drew 1 all there with Tommy Tynan scoring.

2 hours ago, Reesh said:

That is interesting. The one I was remembering - having just looked them up in Dickinson  etc - is the 2-2 the season before. Everything else fits: scorers, Ashurst, etc, but it clearly - as you've said - can't have been the season they went up as we didn't but they were still there for us to play again the season afterwards. Am pretty sure I'd have been to both so I'll be rolling memories from both into one. 

One query: I notice from the 'Complete reference' book that two games before the 77/78   1-1 away draw we played Chezzie at home. I think that's the game when Big Jack came and watched us from a seat to our right in the North, afterwards accepting our manager's job. So it would have been him that took us to Wrexham for the 1-1, another variation from my majority memory of the 2-2 in 76-77.  

• Like 1

Was Bradshaw making his debut at Wrexham when he scored? 
I remember something about him saying on the team coach “I thought Wrexham played in red” and somebody saying “yes they do” and Bradshaw saying “why are all the fans on the streets wearing blue and white scarfs”

10 hours ago, Owling_Wolf said:

That is interesting. The one I was remembering - having just looked them up in Dickinson  etc - is the 2-2 the season before. Everything else fits: scorers, Ashurst, etc, but it clearly - as you've said - can't have been the season they went up as we didn't but they were still there for us to play again the season afterwards. Am pretty sure I'd have been to both so I'll be rolling memories from both into one. 

One query: I notice from the 'Complete reference' book that two games before the 77/78   1-1 away draw we played Chezzie at home. I think that's the game when Big Jack came and watched us from a seat to our right in the North, afterwards accepting our manager's job. So it would have been him that took us to Wrexham for the 1-1, another variation from my majority memory of the 2-2 in 76-77.  

Great timing!  One of the pictues in Dunsby Owl's Tweet today shows Big Jack sat in the North Stand at that Chesterfield game, deciding to take the job.   

Great stuff from Dunsbyowl. A much more sensible informative Wednesdayite to follow on X 

(We also share the exact same birthday and that our first game was v Bolton in 74)