FA cup replays scrapped.

The rest of football needs to find a way to devalue the FA Cup.

The EFL, if it hasn't been consulted, could respond by extending the EFL Trophy for a season to include Championship clubs and all EFL clubs withdraw. Change the format to home/away leg straight knockouts and kick the pool games into touch and kick out the PL U21 teams. This increases value to a crap trophy but also coverage and therefore direct revenue into the EFL. 

Or every club from Championship to National North/South threatens to pull out. Totally devalues round 1 and 2 but gives the true minnows a chance to progress to round 3 and get a premier league club. How many overseas viewers will tune into Morpeth Town Vs Grays Athletic in round 5?

Edited by Tylluan

This is simply happening because of the million European games that happen now due to the Europa League and its ‘smaller’ sibling the conference league and of course the seeming continual expansion of the ‘champions’ league.

• Like 1

Playing devil's advocate, the issue you have is that the monetary value of the FA Cup comes from the TV deal, and that is driven by the big Premier League clubs. So in many ways the FA in going for that lucre have to sell the soul of the competition.

My one hope is that a football regulator does come in, that the EPL clubs play hard ball still and get a deal forced upon them that is way worse than could have been negotiated.

How about a 95% levy on the TV deal monies

Devil's advocate part 2, its the Championship clubs that make the most player changes in Round 3 these days, many on here advocate it to focus on the league etc. The attendances are pretty poor comparatively. 

Chicken n egg maybe 

21 hours ago, HoylandOwl said:

This is simply happening because of the million European games that happen now due to the Europa League and its ‘smaller’ sibling the conference league and of course the seeming continual expansion of the ‘champions’ league.

Weird isn’t that when the big clubs complain about playing too many games they always blame the domestic programme rather than the European one.

There must be some reason I’m sure, can’t quite put my finger on it…..

6 minutes ago, Chelters said:

Weird isn’t that when the big clubs complain about playing too many games they always blame the domestic programme rather than the European one.

There must be some reason I’m sure, can’t quite put my finger on it…..

Yeah, it’s puzzling isn’t it…..

To be fair, they did bitch away the 'second group stage' from the Champions League a few years* back.  

**looks it up** 

*er, 21 of 'em, apparently.  😕  Crikey, where does it go? 

Edited by pook

FA cup final to be played on the penultimate week of Premier League season 🤮.  Yep we don’t want attention being drawn away from the traditional conclusion of the English football season, the Premier League relegation battle and “race for fourth”.

21 hours ago, Skamp said:

All those three extra glorious games against Arsenal in 1979 and the welcome income they bring in  - gone for good.

(Appreciate rounds one and two also went to a replay that campaign)

One of my favourite facts ever

We played NINE FA Cup games that season and didn’t make it to the 4th round

The support we took to the three replays at Leicester was incredible for an average Third Division team 

4 hours ago, HarrySpeakup said:

One of my favourite facts ever

We played NINE FA Cup games that season and didn’t make it to the 4th round

The support we took to the three replays at Leicester was incredible for an average Third Division team 

The 5 Arsenal games were played in just 17 days.