Defying the odds at Leicester? Match thread

3 hours ago, Teddy Nickelarse said:

Poveda and Cadamarteri off too, predictably. Limit damage tonight (hopefully) and protecting some players for Millwall. 

Hope we fix Poveda up with some better studs for Millwall. Peed it down and he couldn't stand up at times. Not on his own.  Cost us 2 or 3 moves. 

3 hours ago, KrolMong said:

That was a genuinely good second half. No bad displays, and we caused all kinds of problems.

Bannan, Pol V, Palmer and Musaba good.

He’s got his set up away from home now. It’s got to be two more defensive minded midfield players with Bannan and then a front three.

At Millwall, I’m going with a 4-3-3.

Beadle

Pol V, Bernard, Famewo, Johnson

Palmer, Bannan, Vaulks

Poveda, BCM, Musaba

We can almost play Pol V as a winger and have Palmer dropping in. After getting it wrong first half, Rohl got it spot on second.

Can't believe I'm (ever) putting this but Wilks looked half decent 2nd half. Got stuck in down the left and came pretty close to an own goal by their full back from close range.  

**Goes for a lie down**

Noted that Rohl defends the play out the back tactic, that it helped create 2 goals on Friday.

I get that to an extent, but there is a time n place for it. And I just think sometimes until the game gets settled then play the percentages, especially in the first 4 minutes away to the best club in the division. We genuinely started the game ok then bam a goal against from a collective error. And suddenly they have confidence to spray it round.

The one moment that irked me most, probably just after they scored, we got a free kick on halfway, near the managers. Was it pumped to the edge of their area, test them. No it went back to Beadle who then proceeded to launch it left 10 foot over Johnson out of play.

Mrs MK unwisely choose to be in the same room while Wednesday were on and got my full on Tourettes. The 2nd half she expressed Wednesday played better then assessed entirely on my swearing output level

Well that’s my lucky away game streak ended 🙄 

Sat in the stand last night at half time 2-0 down and not really much chance of a win but still with the thought of a draw tucked away inside my mind imagining the limbs etc. 

Then I looked up and just looked around 

T shirt cannons

Ground staff re marking the pitch and at least 12 more looking after it

A modern stadium 

5 rows of seats between home and away fans.

Then I thought we’re just not very good at football at the minute 🙄

Fuck em up the owls let’s do Millwall and stay up.

• Like 1

The first half last night was incredibly frustrating. Yes, a decent start turned into a shit show in one moment. I echo MK’s sentiment earlier on it. There are benefits to it; that we have seen… But we can’t do it religiously in every situation. That last night shows, Vaulks had nowhere to go but Beadle passes it to him.  Maybe that’s the immaturity in his game? While it’s his fault, there’s part of me that thinks, he needs to learn but we can’t be learning….  Anyway.

The other thing was how wasteful in possession we were in that first half. Not only did we cause our own problems with the goal, (or goalS as the marking on the long ball was horrific too) but we treated the ball like a team of 6 year olds just kicking it anywhere when we got it. It’s like what we did against Southampton away too. Don’t take care of it, not try to slow the game down, hold possession a bit, just get it forward asap and give it them back. It just invited pressure. 

Second half. much better with and without the ball. And we arguably deserved at least a goal. It’s just too much though to continually get a goal or two behind to then change seemingly the mindset and tactic. There’s positives in recognising things or happen before adapting, but our ‘happenings’ seem to be catastrophic before things are rectified. 

That’s not taking the responsibility off the individual as well. As I say there has to be a sense of autonomy in certain situations as well. Like Beadle. Yes; we want to play this way but in that moment is that the right thing? What’s the biggest risk? 

1 hour ago, HappyOwl said:

Sat in the stand last night at half time 2-0 down and not really much chance of a win but still with the thought of a draw tucked away inside my mind imagining the limbs etc. 

T shirt cannons

A modern stadium 

I suggested to Mrs MK though, Leicester are too good for the Championship but seriously if they have them hand clappers they deserve to finish bottom on zero points next season 

3 minutes ago, mkowl said:

I suggested to Mrs MK though, Leicester are too good for the Championship but seriously if they have them hand clappers they deserve to finish bottom on zero points next season 

Proud once again to be a Wednesdayite last night I hope the reception the players got at the end last night shows them we care and gives them some bollox for Saturday. It is what it is but we dare to dream staying up now for me is the equivalent of being 2-0 with 5 minutes plus injury time. Not beyond the realms of possibility but the longer it goes on the season will just fade into relegation.

Keep the faith everyone and UTO 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, HoylandOwl said:

The first half last night was incredibly frustrating. Yes, a decent start turned into a shit show in one moment. I echo MK’s sentiment earlier on it. There are benefits to it; that we have seen… But we can’t do it religiously in every situation. That last night shows, Vaulks had nowhere to go but Beadle passes it to him.  Maybe that’s the immaturity in his game? While it’s his fault, there’s part of me that thinks, he needs to learn but we can’t be learning….  Anyway.

The other thing was how wasteful in possession we were in that first half. Not only did we cause our own problems with the goal, (or goalS as the marking on the long ball was horrific too) but we treated the ball like a team of 6 year olds just kicking it anywhere when we got it. It’s like what we did against Southampton away too. Don’t take care of it, not try to slow the game down, hold possession a bit, just get it forward asap and give it them back. It just invited pressure. 

Second half. much better with and without the ball. And we arguably deserved at least a goal. It’s just too much though to continually get a goal or two behind to then change seemingly the mindset and tactic. There’s positives in recognising things or happen before adapting, but our ‘happenings’ seem to be catastrophic before things are rectified. 

That’s not taking the responsibility off the individual as well. As I say there has to be a sense of autonomy in certain situations as well. Like Beadle. Yes; we want to play this way but in that moment is that the right thing? What’s the biggest risk? 

Not going to hang out the keeper - he is what 19, learning the game and told this is what to do. But seriously first 10 minutes of any game stop fannying around with it 

Staton and Pearson get it

Us fans get it 

Don't invite unnecessary pressure. Play it long get em thinking and then if they are on the back foot a bit then do it 

You are not Pep 

• Like 1

Bit frustrated about the result last night, we put in a decent performance and had we taken a couple of the number of chances created we could have shocked the football world and come away with a point. 

If players put in same shift on Saturday I'm pretty sure we'll get the result we desperately need. 

1 hour ago, mkowl said:

Not going to hang out the keeper - he is what 19, learning the game and told this is what to do. But seriously first 10 minutes of any game stop fannying around with it 

Us fans get it 

Don't invite unnecessary pressure. Play it long get em thinking and then if they are on the back foot a bit then do it 

You are not Pep 

It’s different now, and I play a lot of the short sided game now which is all about imposing yourself immediately. But, when I think back, every 11-a-side team I have played for, we always had the mantra of nothing silly for the first 5 mins of each half. Turn the other team round, get your shape right, and grow into it.

Just on style, Rohl is far closer to Arteta and De Zerbi. There is this myth that Pep invites the press, he doesn’t. Arteta and De Zerbi do…

2 hours ago, HappyOwl said:

T shirt cannons

A modern stadium 

Groundsman at Leicester is a Wednesday fan from Stocksbridge. 

Another one to slip through the net.  Chansiri out.

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, mkowl said:

Noted that Rohl defends the play out the back tactic, that it helped create 2 goals on Friday.

I get that to an extent, but there is a time n place for it. And I just think sometimes until the game gets settled then play the percentages, especially in the first 4 minutes away to the best club in the division. We genuinely started the game ok then bam a goal against from a collective error. And suddenly they have confidence to spray it round.

The one moment that irked me most, probably just after they scored, we got a free kick on halfway, near the managers. Was it pumped to the edge of their area, test them. No it went back to Beadle who then proceeded to launch it left 10 foot over Johnson out of play.

Mrs MK unwisely choose to be in the same room while Wednesday were on and got my full on Tourettes. The 2nd half she expressed Wednesday played better then assessed entirely on my swearing output level

You could see the kid was well rattled after the awful first goal.  Did well to settle down again.

2 hours ago, mkowl said:

Any club with pratts waving big flags deserves that.  Start with Huddersfield. Tinpot doesn't even begin to cover it.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mkowl said:

Us fans get it 

You are not Pep 

Always mix it up a little bit so they can't absolutely anticipate our passes.

20 minutes ago, Owling_Wolf said:

Hull for starters.

I see your Hull and I raise you Derby at home, Peterborough away (po first leg) and Ipswich away where he missed.

Game at Hull was already lost when he scored...

For a striker he misses far too many and it's not like he's Shefki Kuqi who used to make about a dozen a game for himself to miss

Edited by Otto_Man

1 minute ago, Owling_Wolf said:

So he shouldn't have bothered? 

Not quite my point, more that when it's important (as the three I listed were) he bottles it.

When there's no pressure maybe different (although you've only listed once he's managed to do it)

Just now, Otto_Man said:

Not quite my point, more that when it's important (as the three I listed were) he bottles it.

When there's no pressure maybe different (although you've only listed once he's managed to do it)

Because I haven't wasted time trying to remember detail that doesn't actually matter.  I'd like to think, however, that you would have passed to the Smith that was running unmarked into the box last night, hands out in front of him, rather than blasting it straight into the bloke stood immediately in front of you like Musaba abysmally did. 

3 hours ago, KrolMong said:

It’s different now, and I play a lot of the short sided game now which is all about imposing yourself immediately. But, when I think back, every 11-a-side team I have played for, we always had the mantra of nothing silly for the first 5 mins of each half. Turn the other team round, get your shape right, and grow into it.

Just on style, Rohl is far closer to Arteta and De Zerbi. There is this myth that Pep invites the press, he doesn’t. Arteta and De Zerbi do…

I appreciate that its the modern way. 

Don't get me wrong, do I want us to play long ball % stuff NO, though I saw on Youtube the old clip from Match of the Day v Charlton in the 1983/84 promotion season and on something resembling Skeggy beach Wilko was the Pep of his day. It was universally hated by the purists but it brought a seismic change in fitness levels. 

So every so often there is a en masse change - Wenger on player nutrition, Fergie on youth players, Mourinho on being a ****, Pep etc 

The fact a UK centre half can trap the ball and pass it is still a revelation 

I suppose these days there is so much coverage and analysis that you can mimic. Nothing gladens my heart than seeing pass and move football 

28 minutes ago, mkowl said:

I appreciate that its the modern way. 

Don't get me wrong, do I want us to play long ball % stuff NO, though I saw on Youtube the old clip from Match of the Day v Charlton in the 1983/84 promotion season and on something resembling Skeggy beach Wilko was the Pep of his day. It was universally hated by the purists but it brought a seismic change in fitness levels. 

So every so often there is a en masse change - Wenger on player nutrition, Fergie on youth players, Mourinho on being a ****, Pep etc 

The fact a UK centre half can trap the ball and pass it is still a revelation 

I suppose these days there is so much coverage and analysis that you can mimic. Nothing gladens my heart than seeing pass and move football 

The fact that players are desperately trying to get the ball back to their own goalkeeper and their opponents are desperately trying to stop them is an even bigger shock still, every time I switch the telly on.

I remember watching t.v. games in European Competition back in the day, (1960s or '70s) on a black & white telly with my dad. It was such a complete novelty to see the European teams passing the ball backwards at all that it caused laughter at first. (And much hilarity once when a backpass went into their own net!  Scotland or Wales international team, perhaps.)  

Just think, if we'd have put 'contracts' out on an overseas coach or two back then, we wouldn't all be having to watch this collective insanity at every level, suitable or not. "Nip it in the bud."

😉

Edited by Owling_Wolf

5 hours ago, KrolMong said:

every 11-a-side team I have played for, we always had the mantra of nothing silly for the first 5 mins of each half. Turn the other team round, get your shape right, and grow into it.

Totally agree. With every team I've coached the game is split into 10 minute blocks. First 10 of each half is always nothing daft and let's see what they've got. Next two blocks depend on that initial 10 mins but revolve around can we open up and control the game or do we need to soak up and counter. 

But that's down to fluidity of formation and everyone knowing the plans. I've never been one for setting a team to play one way, regardless. 

Nedem Onuorah did a really good bit about this and how the players who were in the game 20 years ago really don't get it when they commentate, especially when teams make a mistake and they come out with "why are they doing that/they're not good enough/it's too dangerous".  His point essentially is that the players and coaches know exactly why they're doing it, the point is to stretch play, draw the opponents in and make space in the areas behind them.  The coaches know there will be mistakes but that's part of the improvement process & the testament is actually how few goals are being conceded now when doing it.  The issue last night wasn't the system, it was simply a mistake by Beadle, who should have kicked it first time.  He'll learn from it.

The point though, about these pundits, not quite appreciating how the game has changed tactically is a sound one, i can't imagine that Carragher would have got many games in a side that played in this way.  It's probably time for a bit of a changing of the guard at Sky etc.

In passing, I'd just like to thank whoever shut the M1 at Leicester northbound last night.  Arsehole!   😡

Have they no idea what's going on in the world around them or do they just not care?

Diversion 1/4 of the way around Leicester on the (ordinary road) ringroad was followed by queuing up the A50 (very ordinary road) for quite a few miles, all surrounded by loads of articulated trucks off the motorway. Not very nice at all, it also cost us just over an hour.  Grr!

Edited by Owling_Wolf
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Owling_Wolf said:

That's so often Musaba recently.  Smith was running in on goal unmarked as well. 

Yes makes the wrong call too often but I'd say less frequently than when he first arrived. Still; has a bit of the x factor, is quick, strong and doesn't shun his defensive responsibilities perhaps in the way Gassama  does. 

Mind you Gassama is a very exciting prospect at only 20. Quick, powerful and skilful and has the rare ability to be able to take on and beat a defender more often than not. Diamond in the rough who may well bring a lot of money into the club begore too long.

Hope we fix Poveda up with some better studs for Millwall. Peed it down and he couldn't stand up at times. Not on his own.  Cost us 2 or 3 moves. 

Yeah think he did a time or two last Friday too ( could've been someone else then though) frustrating. If it happens more than once in a game its down to wrong choice of studs as you say. 

3 hours ago, Owling_Wolf said:

Because I haven't wasted time trying to remember detail that doesn't actually matter.  I'd like to think, however, that you would have passed to the Smith that was running unmarked into the box last night, hands out in front of him, rather than blasting it straight into the bloke stood immediately in front of you like Musaba abysmally did. 

Yep, should've passed; simple.

Can't believe I'm (ever) putting this but Wilks looked half decent 2nd half. Got stuck in down the left and came pretty close to an own goal by their full back from close range.  

**Goes for a lie down**

There have been signs before when he's not just relied on sticking his arse out and backing into a defender . He's had recurring injury problems and personal/family issues. Sometimes looks like he can't be arsed with defensive requirements too at times BUT.... he is genuinely quick, decent skill, quite strong and surprisingly good in the air. Encouraging stint last night. Let's hope he builds on it.

18 minutes ago, Teddy Nickelarse said:

Re. Beadle. Clearly playing to instructions, and rightly so, but there are exceptions to the rule.  Last night's incident was an example - he got it wrong. Sometimes the only sensible option is to just clear the danger. He'll learn from it 

He'd better or we'll be relegated. Thought Friday he was very good mind 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Owling_Wolf said:

In passing, I'd just like to thank whoever shut the M1 at Leicester northbound last night.  Arsehole!   😡

Have they no idea what's going on in the world around them or do they just not care?

Diversion 1/4 of the way around Leicester on the (ordinary road) ringroad was followed by queuing up the A50 (very ordinary road) for quite a few miles, all surrounded by loads of articulated trucks off the motorway. Not very nice at all, it also cost us just over an hour.  Grr!

And the MK Award for travel updates 2024 goes to Owling Wolf.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Owling_Wolf said:

Took us ages to get home, getting out of Leicester was a nightmare, I've never known a place to have so many traffic lights, they were every few yards and went to red every time our coach approached em. 

We set off at 2.30 and didn't get in ground til 10 minutes into game. 

Stopping off at Loughborough for 2 an half hours for a beer or three might not have helped. 😂

1 hour ago, Teddy Nickelarse said:

Re. Beadle. Clearly playing to instructions, and rightly so, but there are exceptions to the rule.  Last night's incident was an example - he got it wrong. Sometimes the only sensible option is to just clear the danger. He'll learn from it 

A mate's just told me that Vaulks used a hand sign for Beadle to keep the ball short, immediately before that pass.  I've just looked on the short highlights. If that's what the hand sign means, he then changes it like he's changing his mind. By then I'm guessing Beadle would have looked down to kick the ball.  

There's a possibility - to this layman, anyway - that the gesture meant, 'Not to me.'  Would they have discussed such things during training?

Finally, there's a chance too that the gesture caused the tackler to get on his marks. 

47 minutes ago, Owling_Wolf said:

A mate's just told me that Vaulks used a hand sign for Beadle to keep the ball short, immediately before that pass.  I've just looked on the short highlights. If that's what the hand sign means, he then changes it like he's changing his mind. By then I'm guessing Beadle would have looked down to kick the ball.  

There's a possibility - to this layman, anyway - that the gesture meant, 'Not to me.'  Would they have discussed such things during training?

Finally, there's a chance too that the gesture caused the tackler to get on his marks. 

Interesting.  My view FWIW; given where Vaulks was and which way he was facing I suspect that most experienced  keepers might well have disregarded both general instructions and any signals from Vaulks and just cleared the ball out of the danger area either upfield  or out of play.

Whichever way we look at it Beadle was culpable to the greater degree. It happens and is part of his learning curve. Better last night than at Millwall for me. Without this error and/or if Musaba had passed to Smith etc. I think that Leicester would likely have been able to up a gear anyway.

Edited by Teddy Nickelarse

25 minutes ago, Teddy Nickelarse said:

Interesting.  My view FWIW; given where Vaulks was and which way he was facing I suspect that most experienced  keepers might well have disregarded both general instructions and any signals from Vaulks and just cleared the ball out of the danger area either upfield  or out of play.

Whichever way we look at it Beadle was culpable to the greater degree. It happens and is part of his learning curve. Better last night than at Millwall for me. Without this error and/or if Musaba had passed to Smith etc. I think that Leicester would likely have been able to up a gear anyway.

Agree over relative culpability, simply because he's the one with an overview.   

Millwall?  

19 hours ago, Owling_Wolf said:

3 hours ago, Teddy Nickelarse said:

Yeah think he did a time or two last Friday too ( could've been someone else then though) frustrating. If it happens more than once in a game its down to wrong choice of studs as you say. 

According to the database Poveda wears Nike Mercurial Superflys. If so they're bladed boots. Great for acceleration as the wider/longer blade creates a bigger surface area to push off on. However in soft conditions they don't offer the same traction as the narrower moulded stud boots and you tend to slip about like you're wearing Converse.

Problem a lot of footballers have is if he's getting an endorsement payment for those boots then he can't switch, not even within brand. 

Haaland is wearing a pair of Phantom GX2 hybrids and they're perfect for this weather

• Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

According to the database Poveda wears Nike Mercurial Superflys. If so they're bladed boots. Great for acceleration as the wider/longer blade creates a bigger surface area to push off on. However in soft conditions they don't offer the same traction as the narrower moulded stud boots and you tend to slip about like you're wearing Converse.

Problem a lot of footballers have is if he's getting an endorsement payment for those boots then he can't switch, not even within brand. 

Haaland is wearing a pair of Phantom GX2 hybrids and they're perfect for this weather

Crikey. Unfortunately sounds about right these days. Roll on to the dry hard pitches.

Edited by Teddy Nickelarse

Dry, hard pitches you say? He'll be injured by then.

Beadle looks like a clone of the young chap Trafford at Burnley. Half decent shot stopper, weak as piss in the air and thinks he can play football.

The first half of the match wasn't Foxes vs Owls. It was men against boys. It was so bad, I took to playing 'bit harsh Bingo' with the commentary. Example:

"Vardy... Praet"

"bit harsh."

Second half was much better, although Leicester had at least one more goal in the tank.

Onwards to Saturday. 3 points please Wednesday 🙂

17 minutes ago, EastCraigsOwl said:

Dry, hard pitches you say? He'll be injured by then.

Beadle looks like a clone of the young chap Trafford at Burnley. Half decent shot stopper, weak as piss in the air and thinks he can play football.

The first half of the match wasn't Foxes vs Owls. It was men against boys. It was so bad, I took to playing 'bit harsh Bingo' with the commentary. Example:

"Vardy... Praet"

"bit harsh."

Second half was much better, although Leicester had at least one more goal in the tank.

Onwards to Saturday. 3 points please Wednesday 🙂

Nights must fly by in your gaff Rab C.