Defying the odds at Leicester? Match thread

Rohl has got this horribly, horribly wrong.

Our team is only of any use when we get spells with the ball. Without the ball, it’s horrific. We look so easy to play through and around, it’s actually pretty embarrassing. Ugbo, Poveda and Gassama are offering no defensive help at all. Ihiekwe is being torn to pieces. We are pressing with four and the other six are 50 yards further back and they play through us.

• Like 1

Just now, KrolMong said:

Our team is only of any use when we get spells with the ball. Without the ball, it’s horrific. We look so easy to play through and around, it’s actually pretty embarrassing. Ugbo, Poveda and Gassama are offering no defensive help at all. Ihiekwe is being torn to pieces. We are pressing with four and the other six are 50 yards further back and they play through us.

To be fair they’ve played through a lot of side this season. We need points, we have to go for it. I understand the formation and setup tonight.

Our season won’t be defined on how we play against Leicester and I think that no matter what side we put out tonight we would have struggled to get anything. Sometimes you just have to admit the opposition is better than us - and Leicester are most definitely one of those sides.

• Like 2

We play like we want to be a 50 quid bottle of red when sometimes a pint of mild has to do.

A game v Leicester was always tough, but as others have said don't make it fucking easy by gifting goals. And whilst there are not many options we have 4 luxury players in Bannan, Ugbo, Gassama and Poveda against a team that are better players.

Seriously there is nothing wrong with lumping it to a couple of big lads, few challenges on their tricky players.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, KrolMong said:

Let's be honest if Birmingham had anything like the quality Leicester have the same would have arisen.

I was near a scout type on Friday night and we were laughing if it was the Leicester one his notes would simply say - give it the wingers as they have 40 yards of space 

Or play it down the middle as our centre halves still appear to be in Coventry

• Haha 1

Honestly don't think Röhl cares about the result.

He knows we're going to get spanked, so does what he's going to do v Millwall. At least it helps bed the team in a bit.

Anyway, 2 on target and the Johnson cross that someone should have got on the end of.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, holmesfield_owl said:

Great backing by the Wednesday fans btw

Whilst handing out praise I’d also say the ref has had a good game and not been whistle happy.

Played advantage when he can and only blown the whistle when none has been forthcoming.

• Like 1

I think we’ve been good second half. Palmer has made a massive difference because it’s given Bannan freedom and Bannan has been really good this half. Pol V has been able to get forward more. When we press we have two midfield players going now.

Much much better. 4-2-3-1 with a more defensive base and we look a lot better.

• Like 1

That was a genuinely good second half. No bad displays, and we caused all kinds of problems.

Bannan, Pol V, Palmer and Musaba good.

He’s got his set up away from home now. It’s got to be two more defensive minded midfield players with Bannan and then a front three.

At Millwall, I’m going with a 4-3-3.

Beadle

Pol V, Bernard, Famewo, Johnson

Palmer, Bannan, Vaulks

Poveda, BCM, Musaba

We can almost play Pol V as a winger and have Palmer dropping in. After getting it wrong first half, Rohl got it spot on second.

• Like 2

A lot of almost moments in the 2nd half. Ok Leicester it could be argued declared, but we played a more pragmatic, solid game

It's alright having luxury players but no ruddy point if you can't get the ball.

And with a decent base then your remaining players have the confidence to attack. Again with a bit of composure and quality then perhaps a chance could have gone in

Real thoughts for Rohl now about how to get the balance between the attacking side and defending side of the game 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, KrolMong said:

That was a genuinely good second half. No bad displays, and we caused all kinds of problems.

Bannan, Pol V, Palmer and Musaba good.

He’s got his set up away from home now. It’s got to be two more defensive minded midfield players with Bannan and then a front three.

At Millwall, I’m going with a 4-3-3.

Beadle

Pol V, Bernard, Famewo, Johnson

Palmer, Bannan, Vaulks

Poveda, BCM, Musaba

We can almost play Pol V as a winger and have Palmer dropping in. After getting it wrong first half, Rohl got it spot on second.

Totally agree, and I think the Southampton game should have been the warning for tonight.

These sides are so far technically superior that being as open as we  started first half can never be successful. 

In this country you have to win midfield first then you play football. We saw with the scousers last year you can have probably 5 world class strikers but if you have Henderson and Milner in midfield it ain't working. It's why Man City's win stats sans Rodri are awful comparatively.

Other lessons you don't get your keeper to play 5 yard passes to a midfielder under pressure. Beadle is told that is how to play, fucking Pep must laugh because he gets everyone copying him, they fuck it up and his teams keep winning

7 minutes ago, Beaconowl said:

I would of taken that result at kick off

Not one person wouldn't, it was just the manner of the goals, the set up and starting 11.

Don't get me wrong I want Wednesday to play good football, the sides that have achieved that are my favourite. I hate the dull pragmatic shit far too many managers have given us instead. But don't try be trying to play champagne football with 2 bottles of pale ale. 

So we are at a key point of Rohls coaching journey - he is learning some harsh but valuable lessons about the Championship

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Snap said:

Thank god he brought Liam Palmer on or that could have been embarrassing, he scured our right flank and changed the game.

Thought Bannan played well as well, always available and makes us tick. Life after Bannan. We need to start thinking about it, he won't last forever and he'll be big boots to fill.  Metaphorically speaking of course.

You're about as funny as cancer kindly fuck off.

• Haha 1