70th SPOTY then

Skamp

I've not followed this at all, did this presentation not have top billing weekend placing in the past?

Looks like the BBC are cutting back. Also question of sport has gone, for now anyway, TBF I don't necessarily disagree with that, difficult to get household names to do it who used to do it so well.

It's all going digital int it lads.

All the best.

Lee.

Aged 53.

UTO though !!

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Lee said:

I've not followed this at all, did this presentation not have top billing weekend placing in the past?

Looks like the BBC are cutting back. Also question of sport has gone, for now anyway, TBF I don't necessarily disagree with that, difficult to get household names to do it who used to do it so well.

It's all going digital int it lads.

All the best.

Lee.

Aged 53.

UTO though !!

Given Top Gear went as well

Could the BBC kindly ask Paddy McGuinness to start making regular appearances on Mrs Brown's Boys

• Haha 4

6 hours ago, Kiwi Owl said:

Given Top Gear went as well

Could the BBC kindly ask Paddy McGuinness to start making regular appearances on Mrs Brown's Boys

I'm in no way defending Mrs Brown's Boys but you don't have to watch it if you don't want.

There's a zillion other channels to choose from, granted a large number are showing repeats of Mrs Brown's Boys though.

16 minutes ago, Skamp said:

I'm in no way defending Mrs Brown's Boys but you don't have to watch it if you don't want.

There's a zillion other channels to choose from, granted a large number are showing repeats of Mrs Brown's Boys though.

Anyone who finds Mrs Brown's Boys funny is definitely harbouring urges to play with kids.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Reesh said:

What has Earps done to deserve that?

Should have been Broad.

The BBC has the WSL and England Internationals, Sky has the cricket. 

I don't think Dalglish should have won lifetime achievement either. He's got a knighthood for his charity work and wasn't he last in sport in the 90s? But the 'Hillsborough Law' is getting a battering on Merseyside for not going far enough so time to wheel out King Kenny for an award. 

• Like 2

It’s not been a great year for British Sport in terms of winning things. I’d have voted for Alfie Hewett or Johnson-Thompson because they’ve had dominant years in their respective disciplines.

if people are against Mary Earps winning it for not winning the World Cup, it immediately rules out Stuart Broad for those very same reasons in that he didn’t regain the ashes. McIllroy has had a decent year and was brilliant in the Ryder Cup.

I agree on Dettori, he’s Italian.

Beyond that, I can’t think of any other sports where people have achieved a lot. Maybe Leon Edward’s in UFC? It’s not been a great year in British Boxing. City did the treble but the star of the show was not English. It’s been a bad year for English cricket, English rugby probably overachieved a bit. Even sports like Cycling are on the slide a bit.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, KrolMong said:

It’s not been a great year for British Sport in terms of winning things. I’d have voted for Alfie Hewett or Johnson-Thompson because they’ve had dominant years in their respective disciplines.

if people are against Mary Earps winning it for not winning the World Cup, it immediately rules out Stuart Broad for those very same reasons in that he didn’t regain the ashes. McIllroy has had a decent year and was brilliant in the Ryder Cup.

Beyond that, I can’t think of any other sports where people have achieved a lot. Maybe Leon Edward’s in UFC? It’s not been a great year in British Boxing. City did the treble but the star of the show was not English. It’s been a bad year for English cricket, English rugby probably overachieved a bit. Even sports like Cycling are on the slide a bit.

Fair points well made as per

Albeit another non-victory for Britain, but a notable mention to Team GB who picked up the silver medal in the Speedway World Cup in Wroclaw in July, only missing out by one point thanks to a last lap pass from one of the home men.

The final was a tremendous experience and a fitting end to an enjoyable week. One of the best stadium atmospheres I've witnessed. The Poles certainly know how to host an event. Being surrounded by them while they all sang their hearts out during the National Anthem made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up!

• Like 1

On 22/12/2023 at 11:43, KrolMong said:

Agreed.  SPOTY has never been a truly objective measure of sporting achievement.   Even if it was, nothing really stands out from 2023, other than maybe a golfer for absolutely pulverising the Yanks in the Ryder Cup, but it’s a team event and we play as Europe.  You can make a case for Broad for his career as a whole, and he did bow out in a brilliantly theatrical manner.  But unless you really like cricket, it’s a bit so what, England did not regain the Ashes and had a terrible World Cup.  Leon Edward’s should have at least been on the shortlist, but MMA doesn’t have that big a profile in Britain.