Will we be singing the Blues?

HoylandOwl

24 minutes ago, mkowl said:

It was stupid because in the hour he did play he looked the midfielder we had not had for a long time

What was stupid? Me saying he's been a miss.

https://www.fotmob.com/livescores/4202277/matchfacts/player-match-card/958533/

65 minutes played in a match we lost, and were losing whilst he was on the field.

Surely it's not too much of an abstract concept for me to think he'd be a great player for us, but his transfer so far has been a miss?

Edited by Andyben

1 hour ago, mkowl said:

What makes you think that. He won't want to drop to that level, get better offers.

I actually think a season at that level with a re-shaped squad and him in charge, I would be optimistic of top 6 spot, indeed promotion and thereafter a fighting chance of being competitive at this level

The thing is we've been here before. Three times. "We can rebuild in L1 and start again". Struggling to think of a similar sized club that's been in the third tier and had the chance to refresh things as often as we have. Staying up this season is imperative. Go down again and I think we're looking at 12 to 15,000 most home games 

7 hours ago, Gleadless Owl said:

The thing is we've been here before. Three times. "We can rebuild in L1 and start again". Struggling to think of a similar sized club that's been in the third tier and had the chance to refresh things as often as we have. Staying up this season is imperative. Go down again and I think we're looking at 12 to 15,000 most home games 

You make a good point. When we went down in 2002/03, we returned after 2 years and survived 4 seasons. That was with the backdrop of tight finances. 

The relegation in 2009/10 was coupled with almost going bust, but again we bounced back and I would say that was on a sustainable and eventually competitive basis.

Our relegation was really the result of the consequences of going for it and busting. And some shit awful managers.

The fundamental problem is if we get relegated then the immediate reaction and expectation of the fan base is promotion. The expectation from DC to the manager is that as well. There was a re-jig of the squad but 75% of that was signing players to get us out that league. It worked but only just, the records we broke camouflaged the reality. I was underwhelmed with our football, we were just that 5% better than most the rest, but the cracks were there.

I had limited expectations for this season as a result but its still even surprising me how poor the results are. 

I mean it is marginal we are 5% below the levels of everyone else. In a notoriously competitive division this is the outcome. 

Football is short term in outlook, so there would never be patience within the Wednesday fan base to re-group properly in League 1. But there are green shoots at the lower age levels, that is hopefully our salvation. To me our focus on recruitment should be with that objective in mind. 

I mean if Wednesday are winning more than losing, there is a playing style and a team gradually developing then the fan base will be there

8 hours ago, 80s Owl said:

At what stage do we start attaching some blame to Rohl (puts tin hat on).

The 2 homes games this week are laced with jeopardy in terms of serious hammerings arising. 

I think most Wednesday fans have grasped that the problems arise from the top of the Club and Rohl is working against that backdrop.

But continued bad home defeats and the crowd leaving on 60 minutes will raise that question 

For me the crucial thing Rohl has to do to keep the majority onside is get some positive home results. 
I don’t think people are Against him or about to right now, but if we get some decent home results to go with the general effort we’re seeing, then it’ll keep folks onside. 

Yes, there does seem to be a general acceptance that things are likely ‘done’ which is shit to even contemplate, but I think there’s also a general acceptance that the parts aren’t good enough to make a decent sum of now. 

Whether we keep Rohl will come down to DC in the main unless, there’s little to no investment in the squad in January and then Rohl maybe he will walk. 

• Like 2

The last time we went down I don't think Chansiri gave Moore the chance to rebuild. I think the remit was always get out as fast as we could. 

But I also think Moore wasn't the one to do the rebuilding. Yes he was hampered by shopping in the free agent market but his record at Donny was tried and tested professionals. We ended up with an aging squad because of Moore's recruitment. Even when we were allowed to spend he was going for players to get us out. There was no thought to forward planning and you look to the contract extensions for this season while Moore was still here. 

With that in mind I could see a real battle of wills with Rohl's idea of rebuilding and Chansiri possibly wanting to get promoted asap again. Rohl staying might also depend on who he could attract to League 1. Championship mid level down is roughly the equivalent of bottom end Bundesliga to top end BL2. Are there many players in Rohl's scope that would drop further?

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Snap said:

In a Schrodingers Cat sort of way you mean. No I can't really. The theoretical stuff is all fine by me but there's only one reality at any one given time. I'll give you he's only done a hour as yet, all I asked if you'd be changing your mind as it appeared you were at least willing to.

I can't wait to get him back myself. I couldn't blame the lad for getting injured like that, just a bit of bad luck for him and us.

Not at all like the cat bollocks. 

There's my subjective opinion that M.Diaby will be a good addition to the first team and I think possibly he will be the most important player in the team, but his transfer has not been a success so far because he's played about an hour since August.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, HoylandOwl said:

For me the crucial thing Rohl has to do to keep the majority onside is get some positive home results. 
I don’t think people are Against him or about to right now, but if we get some decent home results to go with the general effort we’re seeing, then it’ll keep folks onside. 

Yes, there does seem to be a general acceptance that things are likely ‘done’ which is shit to even contemplate, but I think there’s also a general acceptance that the parts aren’t good enough to make a decent sum of now. 

Whether we keep Rohl will come down to DC in the main unless, there’s little to no investment in the squad in January and then Rohl maybe he will walk. 

It seems that Röhl is already looking to the longer term with his use of younger players. It will almost inevitably be a difficult journey but for me certainly preferable to the short termism of recent years. Everything will hinge on Röhl's commitment and upward management of DC ( if this is possible). 

I'd love the club to commit to the fans that DR's appointment registered a seed change in club policy with sustainable,organic rebuilding involving emphasis on the academy blended with more youthful player recruitment. This by the way might endear DC a little more to the majority of fans that are not actually rabid haters of him. Barring a miracle, we're pretty much on our way down already this season but I can live with that if it's clear that there's a proper strategy in place. 

A promotion from league one with a swagger instead of last season's short termist functionality would be something to enjoy.

56 minutes ago, Chelters said:

What was Iorfa doing on the second goal? Easy offside if he was holding the line with the rest of the defence. 
Also on the first goal Famewo is held back from going to block the shot but not the kind of thing you normally see given. 

Centre half playing right back type error 

14 minutes ago, mkowl said:

Centre half playing right back type error 

Sorry pal, can't agree with that one. 

If you're playing full back, you can see all across the line if they are attacking on the opposite side. 

I'd go with away with the fairies and a brainfart moment. 

Which we are going to get, it's just that we are getting punished for them. 

While on the other hand, when the opposition have them, we are not good enough to punish them. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, MAL said:

If you're playing full back, you can see all across the line if they are attacking on the opposite side. 

While on the other hand, when the opposition have them, we are not good enough to punish them. 

My point is that if you are not a natural full back then you will be more prone to said lapse. 

Agree on your last points, but that is football life really. I suspect many sides in League 1 thought similar when they played us.

Attacking wise we generally would get a lot more chances, so a bad miss would only occasionally be pivotal. At the other end our mistakes were let off due to inept strikers 

Football is about those margins and we are the wrong side of the equation this season 

13 hours ago, MAL said:

When he used to play R.B. for us he used to let his man run off of him and have to use his speed to go after him.  He has lots of good qualities but IMO his concentration is not foremost amongst them.  (I'm not commenting on that goal as I was far away on the other end.)

A comment on all of our defenders.

They are at best bottom end Championship defenders. At worst, bottom end league one/league two defenders. Teams don’t score good goals against us, but we crack even under the slightest bit of pressure. If a team has a spell, they are going to score in it because someone is going to switch off.

i think the abject lack of coaching / zonal system under XM is to blame. weve been much better recently and hopefully Powell will have them well drilled again soon. 

On ability, Bernard, Iorfa & Ihekwe are midtable Championship but have been obliterated by Munoz. The big question is aptitude and application which will come from training.

I'd like to add Pol.V & Delgado to the three in time. 

It’s concentration that’s the issue. Iorfa has always had it in him to switch off. I like Ihiekwe, but is he really comfortable enough to play the way that Rohl plays. Bernard could be a good centre half, but, he struggles when a team puts it on us.

They’d all benefit from a very good championship centre half playing next to them, as well as a couple of proper championship full backs.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, KrolMong said:

They’d all benefit from a very good championship centre half playing next to them, as well as a couple of proper championship full backs.

And a proper Championship keeper guiding them through. Loovens provided a very steady ship but he had Westwood or Kirkland behind him. 

• Like 2