The FA Cup.

I’ve just seen something online that suggests that the FA are considering letting the Premier League take over the control of the FA Cup.

Early rounds would be played midweek, replays to be scrapped, TV rights taken off the BBC and ITV and sold to the highest bidder and the final wouldn’t be the showcase game. It would be played on a regular PL weekend, like the League Cup is.

As much as the FA Cup is much maligned, I think in the last couple of years it’s seemed to get a bit of its lustre back. 

This move shouldn’t happen. It’s not the PL Cup, it’s the FA Cup.
Historic, iconic, not given to the highest bidder to run. F*** the premier league. 

• Like 1

What to do though, when clubs in the Championship make 9 changes for the 3rd round is more the issue for me. It never helps that round follows 4 games over the festive season. 

Scrapping replays does make sense 

Play the 3rd round on a weekend

But the 4th and 5th can go midweek for me

Quarters to the weekend 

The semis moved to neutral grounds or have one at Old Trafford 

That’s the thing MK, I’ll agree it does need changes.

Yeah, I do think and have done for a long time that there was something needed to be done to try and keep it a relative priority or needs for better team selection. 

The replays one is a contentious one for me, say a 4th tier or non league club draws with a PL or decent size Champ club at home in the first leg, the money they get from the replay can help sustain the club for quite some time to come.

And the semi finals at neutral venues, absolutely. The final should be the showcase game, at Wembley. 

7 hours ago, HoylandOwl said:

That’s the thing MK, I’ll agree it does need changes.

Yeah, I do think and have done for a long time that there was something needed to be done to try and keep it a relative priority or needs for better team selection. 

The replays one is a contentious one for me, say a 4th tier or non league club draws with a PL or decent size Champ club at home in the first leg, the money they get from the replay can help sustain the club for quite some time to come.

And the semi finals at neutral venues, absolutely. The final should be the showcase game, at Wembley. 

I think the removal of replays should be between the two clubs drawn together. If both are happy to drop it, then just go to penalties on 90 minutes. That way you don’t remove a significant revenue stream from a lower league club, but still reduce the number of games. 

58 minutes ago, Gamblor said:

I think the removal of replays should be between the two clubs drawn together. If both are happy to drop it, then just go to penalties on 90 minutes. That way you don’t remove a significant revenue stream from a lower league club, but still reduce the number of games. 

Can't do that as would lead to all sorts of complications. 

What happens if Cambridge want the replay option but Liverpool don't because that would mean an extra mid week game straight after a heavy Christmas fixture list and the champions League starting up again? 

Would it open up an option for the larger clubs to offer a financial incentive not to go to a 2nd game? 

No real need for change.

Big teams have ample sized squads. They're not exactly struggling to field 11 players plus a few subs. Even the 'weakened' Newcastle side which lost at Hillsborough was hardly lacking in experience and transfer fees (£60m striker anyone?)

Giving ownership to the Premier League? May as well kill the competition completely if that happens.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

Can't do that as would lead to all sorts of complications. 

What happens if Cambridge want the replay option but Liverpool don't because that would mean an extra mid week game straight after a heavy Christmas fixture list and the champions League starting up again? 

Would it open up an option for the larger clubs to offer a financial incentive not to go to a 2nd game? 

Well you’d have to either both agree to it, or not, if one side says no then the answer is no. Maybe you limit it to same division sides. 

Sad state of affairs. I know “the league” is important whichever one your team is in but the FA Cup was always the one you had hope of causing an upset and if not winning it, having some glory.

Weve not been great in it during my days of following Wednesday but it’s given some fond memories, some of which wouldn’t happen or probably wouldn’t happen if the proposals come in.

Arsenal in 79 anyone. I actually think that was one of the building blocks for what came the following season.

• Like 2

On 07/07/2023 at 17:25, Skamp said:

It's clearly become an inconvenience for the big boys so just do away with it. Fuck it off.

Papa John's Trophy gets the spare European spot going.

Never been the same since Manchester United opted out one year.

That. 

It shouldn't have been allowed to happen. 

• Like 2