Best away game

• HoylandOwl changed the title to Best away game

West Brom away in 91, we were shite all game and trailing 1-0 and then we equalised on about 89 minutes with the winner coming a couple of minutes later. I've never seen a crowd go as barmy in life, it's always good getting a last minute equaliser but to get the winner as well in stoppage time was brilliant. 

Main Rd when we won 2-1 in promotion season.

Blackburn when we won 2-0 (iirc) same season (might have been 2-1)

Liverpool away 2-0 first season back

Man Utd 2-1 NYD same season 

Then being with young un at Norwich when we won 2-1 and they were awarded a penalty until the ref saw the linesman flagging for offside.

Pigs 2-1 when Spurr and Tudgay scored but we're never allowed to ever mention this game. The brown jumper man game. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Neville Facking Bartos said:

I don’t know if it’s my mind playing tricks on me but I always remember being on an upper tier and watching Wednesday fans celebrating on the roof of the stand below.

Have I dreamt it?

West Brom was a terrace shared - though segregated of course. Plus probably had seats on the side. 

Similar in manner a few years back was Brum away when Hooper scored a couple quickfire goals. But as Reesh and Emre will testify as I met them for a few pints, it was a fun, if a bit damp day, where I managed to lose my step son for several hours. Following up doing the same at Fulham.

But tbh tagging on to Reesh's mob on their London away days was always interesting. 

Blackburn away in the 79-80 promotion season. Wednesdayites everywhere. An insane belief that we were definitely going to win the game even when we were behind. Two blokes in front of us had a bottle of champagne that one of them was preparing to open when we equalised. “No, save it till we get the winner” his mate said; which we duly got with about 10 minutes to go.

Loads from the Wilkinson promotion season and the first season back in the top flight. The 2-1 v Man City with a reported 12,000 Wednesdayites there. Those were the numbers that were talked about at the time, but I hesitated before typing it as it seems absurd, but I do remember counting coaches as we were leaving and stopping when I got to 100. It was so much easier to attend an away game back then, pay on the day, and cheap. I knew people who barely went to home games that would sometimes rock up for a big away game.

Others from that era - the Shelton overhead kick game at Newcastle, the wins at Liverpool and Man Utd, hammering Southampton 3-0 and missing about half a dozen sitters too.

From the Atkinson promotion/League Cup winning season - 4-2 at Leicester, 2-1 at West Brom, 2-0 at Chelsea in the semi final.

The Blackburn League Cup semi in 92-93 - sadly will never see Wednesday play as well again I fear.

The 2-1 injury time win at Hull.

Edited by cheat

I think the best SWFC away game I’ve been to in terms of entertainment was in the 90-91 season, when we drew Millwall away in the FA Cup. Final score was 4-4 and it was just non-stop end to end attacking football. Only ever time I went to Cold Blow Lane, which I’m very glad about!

We had to park our minibus in with the team coach that day as the Millwall supporters threatened to turn it over! 

in terms of best away results, the 3-2 win at L**ds in 2006-07 is up there. If ever a score flattered L**ds that one did that day. Great goals from Brunt and JJ.

Leicester 1 SWFC 4 the same season is another favourite, and again we scored some great goals that game! 

Brighton play off semi probably.  

Or possibly the 2-1 at Brentford in 2012 which I didn’t have a ticket for, followed it on Soccer Saturday with other Owls in one of the corner pubs, and then managed to sneak in for the last few minutes.  Brilliant celebration afterwards in the Royal HorseGuardsman.

6 hours ago, owl71 said:

Brighton play off semi probably.  

Or possibly the 2-1 at Brentford in 2012 which I didn’t have a ticket for, followed it on Soccer Saturday with other Owls in one of the corner pubs, and then managed to sneak in for the last few minutes.  Brilliant celebration afterwards in the Royal HorseGuardsman.

That game at Brighton was certainly the most tense I have been too. The biggest relief at the end. Still think in hindsight the celebrations went on a bit too long, great at the time but set the tone that the achievement was getting to the final

Any away game with a late winner is special.

Already mentioned…

Leeds and Nuhiu’s winner in the snow

Joao at Brentford

Add on…

Maguire at Millwall.

There’s a couple at the Baggies that I’m probably getting a bit mixed up. A late disputed winner (did it cross the line?) by Burton. And Leon Clarke coming on as a late sub to time waste and get Robinson sent off in frustration.

Another great day was the win at Brum with Hooper’s superb strike and Brummie man (or whatever he got called) was right behind where I was stood.

4 minutes ago, M42Owl said:

Any away game with a late winner is special.

Already mentioned…

Leeds and Nuhiu’s winner in the snow

Joao at Brentford

Add on…

Maguire at Millwall.

There’s a couple at the Baggies that I’m probably getting a bit mixed up. A late disputed winner (did it cross the line?) by Burton. And Leon Clarke coming on as a late sub to time waste and get Robinson sent off in frustration.

Another great day was the win at Brum with Hooper’s superb strike and Brummie man (or whatever he got called) was right behind where I was stood.

That last one… I was in the home end… I’d done some work for their programme so got 2 free tickets for me and my lad.

When that thunderbastard of a shot went in, it was soooooo hard not to get off my chair. But, seeing sense and not wanting to get my face kicked in. I just smiled….. and watched the chaos in the away end just to my left.

Ipswich 90. Went on the ICO and my mate threw up in his bag (which contained his sandwiches) about 10 miles out of Sheffield. The two turnstile debacle and people sitting on the side of the pitch because it was that packed. A glorious sunny day, I left thinking we’d smash the division. 

Blackburn cup semi was just magnificent. 

Any win at L**ds that I attended. 

We had some good days and nights at Baseball Ground, even if the results weren’t always great. 

5 hours ago, leicester_owl said:

Being from Leicester the 4-1 was pretty special

What about the 1-3 in 2009(?).  Relegation scrap ... down a goal ... missed penalty ... shoes off, for some reason.  I wasn't there, of course, but I remember folks banging on about it and thinking it sounded like a cracking day.  

On second thought, dark days compared to some of that 90s stuff.  Don't mind me.  Carry on.  

1 hour ago, Supercockle said:

Ipswich 90. Went on the ICO and my mate threw up in his bag (which contained his sandwiches) about 10 miles out of Sheffield. The two turnstile debacle and people sitting on the side of the pitch because it was that packed. A glorious sunny day, I left thinking we’d smash the division. 

Blackburn cup semi was just magnificent. 

Any win at L**ds that I attended. 

We had some good days and nights at Baseball Ground, even if the results weren’t always great. 

Ipswich away in 90/91, I’d forgotten about that. What a day that was. Even a Hirsty missed penalty didn’t spoil things.

And that away kit! ❤️

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Owling_Wolf said:

If someone does this thread again, long into the future, I wonder how many will list tonight's game.  Some smashing football, a classiv goal and an absolutely tozzing away result. Oh aye!   🙂

Yes I will long remember with great hilarity having to run up that hill to Bletchley train station after about 13 minutes injury time or something, to make sure I got a rail replacement that got me home at 1:30 instead of the later one, in which case it would’ve been about 3:30.  The “Rupert Murdoch fuck off and die game”.  

Absolutely brilliant though apart from that.  🤣

Some notable ones for me.

My first away was at Barnsley in 91 when Palmer equalised late on.

Leeds away 1-0 when Waddle scored.

West Ham away 1-1 when Newsome equalised late on.

Villa and West Ham league cup wins.

Norwich away 1-0.

Wolves away 3-1.

Millwall away 1-0 (Simek) - immense day in London that.

Derby away 2-0 (same season).

Leicester away 4-1 and 3-1.

Leeds away 3-2.

Pigs away 2-1.

Brentford away 2-1 (2012).

If I was picking two, it would be Millwall or Brentford. As much about the day as it was the result. The train journey back after Brentford was the best atmosphere I’ve ever seen on a train, all carriages on the 8.55 singing and bouncing all the way back.