Jump to content

Bolton (H) Match Thread.....


HoylandOwl

Recommended Posts

Head to Head v Bolton Wanderers. 

Wednesday wins - 56

Bolton wins - 41

Draws - 29

 

Ref for Friday night.... 

Sam Purkiss. Last time he reffed us, the 0-0 against Pompey (A) last season. 

His record this season...  25 Games. 95 Yellow, 10 Red cards. 

 

In other news, tickets seem to be selling very well, I saw a tweet earlier saying there was only something like 500 left in the North. Not sure about the rest though..

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, HoylandOwl said:

Head to Head v Bolton Wanderers. 

Wednesday wins - 56

Bolton wins - 41

Draws - 29

 

Ref for Friday night.... 

Sam Purkiss. Last time he reffed us, the 0-0 against Pompey (A) last season. 

His record this season...  25 Games. 95 Yellow, 10 Red cards. 

 

In other news, tickets seem to be selling very well, I saw a tweet earlier saying there was only something like 500 left in the North. Not sure about the rest though..

 

Looks like there’s about 4000 left. 
 

and 10 red cards in 25 games? That guy is card happy 

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, owl4ever1867 said:

I've not seen it anywhere but does anybody know how long Iorfa is banned for after last weeks red?

The likes of Byers, Vaulks & Windass need to keep their heads in this one looking at the officials red card history 

1 game

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Reesh said:

George Byers missing the game with a muscle injury

 

I’d go with Adeniran tomorrow with Byers missing. Hunt in at Right Wing Back. Undecided over James or Johnson at left wing back. I thought James was excellent last week second half.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, KrolMong said:

I’d go with Adeniran tomorrow with Byers missing. Hunt in at Right Wing Back. Undecided over James or Johnson at left wing back. I thought James was excellent last week second half.

James goes into centre half with Johnson LWB, Palmer stays RWB

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

You have to keep Flint central and James and Famewo are both left footed so who moves to right centre half out of those two?

Play him vs Bolton & Barnsley, rest him at Forest Green imo, we've got a decent run of games coming up & we can't afford the big man to get injured, I can see a few squad players being used over this next month.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, owl4ever1867 said:

Play him vs Bolton & Barnsley, rest him at Forest Green imo, we've got a decent run of games coming up & we can't afford the big man to get injured, I can see a few squad players being used over this next month.

I’d be tempted to do that if we have Iheikwe fit. But, as far as I am concerned, Flint plays every game until we are promoted. He can rest when we hit 99 points.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, KrolMong said:

I’d be tempted to do that if we have Iheikwe fit. But, as far as I am concerned, Flint plays every game until we are promoted. He can rest when we hit 99 points.

I can't see DM picking Flint every game, for obvious reasons - he's played very little football before joining us and lots since doing so. They'll be managing his fitness and 'volume' to ensure his optimum availability over the remaining games. Hasn't he already been rested once?   There will be games where they'll think we can afford to rest him and games where they'll think he must play, plus 'neutral' ones.  All subject to the availability of other players, of course. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Big couple of games, well as they all are now.  6 points and will definitely believe.

Would go with ...

Dawson

Palmer, Flint, Famewo

Hunt, Johnson 

Bannan, Vaulks, Adeniran

Windass, Smith

 

Johnson just edging out James although could easily put either in.  

Dele Bashiru to come off the bench.  Don't trust him to start. 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, KrolMong said:

I’d be tempted to do that if we have Iheikwe fit. But, as far as I am concerned, Flint plays every game until we are promoted. He can rest when we hit 99 points.

But then what if he pulls up in the FG game? I'm not being a negative twat, we've all seen players come in like Flint, play too many games in too short a time & they are out for weeks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

One of those average performances we have seen from time to time, but against a much better side than we have faced 

Actually a game we could have lost, they exposed the one weakness Flint as, running through treacle, and possibly got away with a pen.

Injuries did not help pre game and post game. Be good to get Iorfa back with his pace, Palmer to RWB. Sadly Hunt is no longer good enough

But we so miss Byers and FDB will be no miss when he leaves in the summer 

The game v Barnsley looks very difficult 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Should have won it, and even with Bolton having a lot of the ball, we still missed the better chances in the second half. Bolton, despite having possession didn’t create and didn’t work the keeper.

Never a pen by the way. 

But, it wasn’t a great display from us. Poor with the ball against a team who would let us have it. Too direct when we didn’t need to be, and outside of Bannan, no-one in our midfield wanted to be clever in their last third.

Dele Bashiru was a passenger at times, he would get a player isolated and wouldn’t attempt to use his pace and power to turn them. Vaulks was poor second half. Hunt was not nearly involved enough until the game got stretched at the end.

Hopefully nothing bad for Windass and Gregory.

They had two players who I thought were really good. Santos at centre half both defensively and with the ball. And Josh Sheehan, he looked a very good footballer with the ball.

The key is, we keep the run going, and I also think this might be a bit of a kick before Tuesday night. That said, if we are wasteful with the ball, Barnsley will really fancy it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, KrolMong said:

Should have won it, and even with Bolton having a lot of the ball, we still missed the better chances in the second half. Bolton, despite having possession didn’t create and didn’t work the keeper.

Never a pen by the way. 

But, it wasn’t a great display from us. Poor with the ball against a team who would let us have it. Too direct when we didn’t need to be, and outside of Bannan, no-one in our midfield wanted to be clever in their last third.

Dele Bashiru was a passenger at times, he would get a player isolated and wouldn’t attempt to use his pace and power to turn them. Vaulks was poor second half. Hunt was not nearly involved enough until the game got stretched at the end.

Hopefully nothing bad for Windass and Gregory.

They had two players who I thought were really good. Santos at centre half both defensively and with the ball. And Josh Sheehan, he looked a very good footballer with the ball.

The key is, we keep the run going, and I also think this might be a bit of a kick before Tuesday night. That said, if we are wasteful with the ball, Barnsley will really fancy it.

This.

I really like Vaulks but his lack of pace left him caught out at times. Can't be disappointed though can we

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We probably didn’t do enough to win it even if we did create a few chances in the first 30mins.

Honestly apart from one decent run what did FDB offer/ do, he was a passenger as far as I could see. Compared to Adeniran who did several decent runs and touch in the short-ish time he was on. DM needs to get over FDB, he drifted through that game when we needed some either running beyond their defenders or energy to shut them down, he did neither. So consequently our midfield 3 was a 2 for most of the game and Hunt and Palmer did most f the creating down the right.

The more worrying thing is the injuries, Byers, Gregory and Windass are big parts of our success this season. We may need Pato back quicker than we thought.

One last thing, the fannying about by their defenders and goalkeeper just makes your piss boil when we saw Iorfa get sent off for much less last week, bloody inconsistent officiating 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

I am not sure this old one can keep calm 🥶

I'm same.  Felt sick tonight.  Not used to this being on top and desperately wanting to stretch the lead. 

Would have taken 4 points from Bolton and Barnsley but thought it would be 3 points tonight.

Injuries and suspensions really rested the squad tonight.  Never thought I would say it but we are missing the option of Wilks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just got back.

A weird game tonight, opening first 5 mins we seemed to be caught out a bit, then, we almost flicked a switch and for 20 minutes. Well. It seemed like we’d win 3 or 4 nil. They couldn’t do a thing with us, we were swarming.

But, it was blindingly obvious, they wouldn’t take things likely and had to have a spell. So, we had to take advantage and of course we didn’t.

To be fair to Bolton, I thought they played very well without really threatening too much. The knocked the ball around well, composed with it, and Kieran Lee… he’s still got it hasn’t he. Compare him with FDB tonight, and I know who was the better player. FDB looked lost, even when the ball was within 5 yards, he seemed unable to do much. Various players bollocked him, he looked so disinterested. Which was a shame, in our side that has played with such heart and belief, I thought he went missing and Vaulks had to do a lot of covering for him.

Lee Gregory, his running off the ball, and pulling their defenders around was a feature. It’s a shame his early effort didn’t go in, his efforts deserved more.

We’re still unbeaten, another point gained putting more pressure on Plymouth. So it could be worse.  
Here’s to the knocks and scrapes not being too bad, and we go up the A61 on Tuesday still in good spirits. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Otto_Man said:

Blokes behind me left because they were sick of watching FDB. He was fucking woeful tonight, no idea what DM saw that I didn't, but I'd have booked him at half time

I think he was going to be hooked, before Windass got injured. And that would have been the best sub, Windass deeper, get Smith on put on the pressure. Instead of FDB who’s head was spinning like a spinning top as the ball kept passing him by. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Neville Facking Bartos said:

@HoylandOwl assessment of the game is in line with how I saw it.

On FDB I think he’s just suffering a little bit, still a young player who has really good attributes but I think he needs a mentor. Looks more nervous and unsure than someone who is disinterested and doesn’t care. It’ll  come, he’ll play at a very good level in the future 

He had a break toward the end of the first half but he over ran the ball. That thereafter seemed to drain his confidence.

Sadly he looks like a player off elsewhere in the summer. To me it's 50 50 whether he then kicks on or he becomes Liam Shaw

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, HoylandOwl said:

I think he was going to be hooked, before Windass got injured. And that would have been the best sub, Windass deeper, get Smith on put on the pressure. Instead of FDB who’s head was spinning like a spinning top as the ball kept passing him by. 

 

7 hours ago, Neville Facking Bartos said:

@HoylandOwl assessment of the game is in line with how I saw it.

On FDB I think he’s just suffering a little bit, still a young player who has really good attributes but I think he needs a mentor. Looks more nervous and unsure than someone who is disinterested and doesn’t care. It’ll  come, he’ll play at a very good level in the future 

When we attacked he wasn't pushing up the pitch and when we defended he wasn't tracking back. He looked like he was hiding, like when you get a kid who doesn't want to be on the pitch. He'd be marking a player, they'd move he wouldn't follow and then they'd receive the ball. 

I take the point he's still fairly young and accept DM had to sub both Windass and Gregory, but he still has Bakinson on the bench, why not use him and take FDB out of the firing line when he was clearly struggling.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tbh I think he’s going backwards and every game he’s played since the start of the season his contribution has got less and less.

Thing is unless he has a good game or Bannan, Byers and Vaulks are injured/poor he’s not going to get much game time if any. He only played because Byers was out.

DM and the coaching staff know where the players are at but Adeniran would have started for me based on his recent if admittedly cameos. As others have said Bakinson could have been an option potentially let Vaulks play a bit further forward.

I think Tuesday could be even trickier if we play FDB without a Gregory or Windass, which would seem likely because he just didn’t get on any second ball from the forwards last night and Smith is going to need that back up.

subject to injuries I’d go with the following (assuming Smith, Byers and Windass are out)

Dawson

Iorfa Flint Famewo

Palmer Bakinson Vaulks Bannan Johnson

Adeniran
Smith

Potentially with Bannan as the further forward of the 3 midfielders.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...