Bolton (H) Match Thread.....

I thought it was the right result. 'Goals change games' was never more true. Both goals deflected. 
Bolton were much better than I expected, though we had a major period all over them either side of our goal. Great save early on by their lad. Palmer missed a great chance in 2nd half.  
Thought we suffered badly from the injuries during game - including Johnson who was on fire until nasty foul. Could be very short of major players at Dingley Dell. We also played 90 mins with 10 men. (Fizz stealing a wage.)
Was impressed by how positive Bolton were later on. Every time they had ball they had a line of 3 or 4 across up front. I have no idea why their keeper was wasting time!  By then we only had Smiff up front. (Am hoping Gregs went off for Tues, not injury.) Thought Vaulks very ordinary but, as mate said, trying to cover two places. 
Looked an obvious pen by Flint - from 80 yards away! - though their player didn't appeal, apparently. 
Gonna be tough Tuesday. Point would be golden in apparent  injury  circumstances.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tank_Owl2,0 said:

subject to injuries I’d go with the following (assuming Smith, Byers and Windass are out)

Dawson

Iorfa Flint Famewo

Palmer Bakinson Vaulks Bannan Johnson

Adeniran
Smith

Potentially with Bannan as the further forward of the 3 midfielders.

Technically Adeniran is a 4, a deep lying midfielder. Sticking him up top takes away a lot of his game. 

If Smith is the only available first team forward then, to me, we have 3 options.

Play Johnson in Windass role. He's done it before. 

For their physique and height play FDB or Bakinson up front in a Pato style role and tell them to be busy and take the heat off Smith to allow him to be effective.

Pack the midfield with Adeniran, Vaulks and Bakinson and play Bannan off Smith. Tell him he has a free role between the front and middle and let Barnsley worry about who's picking him up. 

Didn’t get that team selection at all.  For me, if Byers is out then Adeniran is the closest replacement, for Vaulks it’s Bakinson, and for Bannan it’s Dele.  Not the time of the season to be experimenting with the balance of the midfield.  Still it’s two points we could afford to drop, in one of the harder remaining fixtures.

7 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

Technically Adeniran is a 4, a deep lying midfielder. Sticking him up top takes away a lot of his game. 

If Smith is the only available first team forward then, to me, we have 3 options.

For their physique and height play FDB or Bakinson up front in a Pato style role and tell them to be busy and take the heat off Smith to allow him to be effective.

Pack the midfield with Adeniran, Vaulks and Bakinson and play Bannan off Smith. Tell him he has a free role between the front and middle and let Barnsley worry about who's picking him up. 

Not really disagreeing with what you’re saying Ty, my selection was about trying to keep things in the midfield as consistent as possible, ie make as few changes. The more familiar it is to the team the more likely we can snuff out the Dingles attacking play - in my view.

Potentially swap Bakinson and Adeniran as you say, but I’m not convinced Bakinson has the same mobility as Adeniran, but he does has better physique and power to do what you suggest. I just don’t think FDB is putting in a shift otherwise I’d have him playing off Smith.

Would we perhaps be noticed by the EFL or Daily Fail if we only played Fizz from now on if he wore one of those 'Star Wars' neck rings?  If we notice him stood next to his opponent when we've got the ball, just watching again like last night, a quick 'ZAAP!' until he joins the game again?  Might work.  👀

I’m ok with last night. A draw was fair enough I think. I don’t think we quite did enough to win it. 

Looked like a penalty from a long way away, but I’ll bow to those who saw it on the telly.

We weren’t at our best, they played very well in spells, I’m seeing it as another point towards promotion rather than two points dropped.

Agree with the others re FDB - he was just a passenger. I think it’ll be a disaster for him career wise if he signs for any of those major clubs that have been mentioned; he’s way off that standard imo.

From my position on the sofa I was expecting the ref to give the pen. The replay there is a push by Flint but their player does take full advantage

The downside last night was fuckin O'Neil and Pearson giving shout outs all game. Seriously dull just commentate

Hopefully they may cease after someone sneaked in he was in Melbourne drinking Cummings Cider 

32 minutes ago, owl4ever1867 said:

We have a certain Kieran Lee in our side instead of Dele Bashiru last night, then Wednesday go onto win last night, still a lovely footballer to watch, I'm gutted he's no longer at SWFC tbh.

Was strange last night, watching him as an opponent.  He was one of their best players but what really stood out was how light he is on his feet. Twirling about controlling the bouncing ball he was almost like a dancer.  Most unusual. 

3 hours ago, Tylluan said:

If we are without Gregory and Windass. My thought would be Bannan behind Smith. And I would put Bakinson in midfield alongside Adeniran and Vaulks. Bakinson has a nice range of passing and you’d have legs in Vaulks and Adeniran. I would also put Johnson in at wingback. Palmer back to right wing back and bring Iorfa back in.

Bannan needs to get close to Smith and we’d need Adeniran breaking from midfield. And the Wingbacks as high up the pitch as we can get them.

4 hours ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

From my position on the sofa I was expecting the ref to give the pen. The replay there is a push by Flint but their player does take full advantage

The downside last night was fuckin O'Neil and Pearson giving shout outs all game. Seriously dull just commentate

Hopefully they may cease after someone sneaked in he was in Melbourne drinking Cummings Cider 

I think there was a shout out for Wayne King as well if my hearing is up to a half decent standard.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

I tend to watch on opposition side's streams.

Often a Much better perspective of.our performance and far less of the Shyte you refer to.

And I've got sick of Pearson moaning about refs

Edited by Andyben

7 hours ago, HoylandOwl said:

Their manager has said Aden Flint told him it was definitely a penalty. 

It’s a good job we didn’t show a replay on the big screen

Will their manager write to the EFL and get a 3 match ban for Flint for telling him it was a penalty and get us our point deducted even though Dawson would have saved it 

Things is and obviously really don’t want this to happen but we can lose Tuesday and still canter to the autos finishing line.

I’m sure DM and the team want to avoid defeat Tuesday but that’s not the prize.

We just need to get behind whomever turns out on Tuesday. Tbh though if FDB plays and plays like he did yesterday we will be in trouble because they will be after us, so no passengers.

• Like 2