Gary Lineker.... Off Match of the Day

9 minutes ago, Skamp said:

50p says MOTD will be on tomorrow as normal.

That said. It is a mess. 

But the ones hand wringing about this were undoubtedly the ones screaming that Jeremy Clarkson should be sacked from ITV / Amazon  for his Meghan jibe

Definition of free speech these days is " I agree with it unless my view is different" 

Folk are basically hypocrits 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, holmesfield_owl said:

That's what's been announced. I've said for ages more highlights, less inane waffle

There won't be any more highlights.  It will just be a shorter show.

The deal only allows so many minutes of highlights 

13 hours ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

But the ones hand wringing about this were undoubtedly the ones screaming that Jeremy Clarkson should be sacked from ITV / Amazon  for his Meghan jibe

Definition of free speech these days is " I agree with it unless my view is different" 

Folk are basically hypocrits 

Exactly. It was ok for Lineker to rattle on about Qatar and their awful human rights issues during the World Cup though wasn’t it?

8 hours ago, Owling_Wolf said:

Just read that the commentators are not taking part either. 

There'll be commentary. The BBC will be using 5live and World Service radio commentary and fill the gaps with ripping it from other broadcasting providers.

If you've got the broadcast rites then you can take from any other licenced outlet, including club's own feeds, provided you do a deal to broadcast their feed. 

Could set a precedent. With the Premier League contract coming up for renewal it could prove more cost effective for the BBC to show an Amazon or BeIN produced highlights show without BBC presenters. Lineker, Shearer, Wright, Murphy, Richards, et-al are all outside contractors so just don't renew the contract. 

The reputation of the BBC has slowly but surely eroded over the last 5 years. I have always accepted that that are at the behest of the monarchy, but it’s become more and more apparent that there is a political influence on what is supposed to be a completely impartial organization - especially with the current government.

I have access to BBC News and Sky News in Poland, and I binned off the BBC during COVID times.

On Lineker, he’s going to come out of this smelling of roses. A mutual consent dismissal that will earn him millions in a pay off, and a direct line to Sky, BT, Amazon etc for triple the money.

I also see the BBC losing any form of highlights package in the upcoming rounds of renegotiations, which will mean you all get to enjoy even more repeats of Mrs Browns Boys.

56 minutes ago, Neville Facking Bartos said:

You’ve got to be taking the piss right? What Clarkson said was hate filled whereas Lineker has objected to  llanguage from Suella Braverman by stating it isn’t dismiliar to that used in 1930’s Germany. 

I’m. It bothered whether you agree with Lineker or not but the 2 aren’t the same and this is not a free speech argument 

Thanks for confirming the strawthem argument that you wholeheartedly agree with free speech albeit with the caveat you have to agree with what the person says 

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, Skamp said:

Nobody will present it or provide punditry as the programme will simply concentrate on the football.

Could be interesting if no-one gives a shit and like the new format.

For some strange reason NBC tired this with the NFL many years ago and it was awful.

I agree with Lineker... 

image.png.7632aca15291a1ad645d62153c45a952.png

It's not an argument about free speech, though is it.

Not really.

Its whether what he said broke the terms of his employment at the BBC, and it was found that he did.

Clarkson said something awful but he said it in an article for which he is employed and which had been reveiwed and published by his employer, so he couldn't be sacked

1 hour ago, Andyben said:

It's not an argument about free speech, though is it.

Not really.

Its whether what he said broke the terms of his employment at the BBC, and it was found that he did.

Clarkson said something awful but he said it in an article for which he is employed and which had been reveiwed and published by his employer, so he couldn't be sacked

Well he tweeted his thoughts on his own platform - his personal account on Twitter, - not on the BBC. 

That is a violation of his free speech, no? 

The calls for objectivity and impartiality (from the BBC) would be a little more credible had the current chairman of the BBC not himself previously donated £400,000 to the Conservative Party and had also facilitated a loan (of around £800,000) to the disgraced former Prime Minister, Boris Johnson.

3 hours ago, Neville Facking Bartos said:

You’ve got to be taking the piss right? What Clarkson said was hate filled whereas Lineker has objected to  llanguage from Suella Braverman by stating it isn’t dismiliar to that used in 1930’s Germany. 

I’m. It bothered whether you agree with Lineker or not but the 2 aren’t the same and this is not a free speech argument 

Yes but Jezza,was right wasn't he

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, lobster said:

Is this the same Gary Lineker currently in a court case with HMRC over £5 million in unpaid taxes and Ni

The very same. And it all hinges on his employment status.

HMRC and their lawyers must be pissing themselves laughing at the moment.

22 minutes ago, pachyderm said:

Well he tweeted his thoughts on his own platform - his personal account on Twitter, - not on the BBC. 

The calls for objectivity and impartiality (from the BBC) would be a little more credible had the current chairman of the BBC not himself previously donated £400,000 to the Conservative Party and had also facilitated a loan (of around £800,000) to the disgraced former Prime Minister, Boris Johnson.

No

22 minutes ago, pachyderm said:

Well that's another thing, the links to the Tories. 

Was never deemed a problem then the Governera and trustees, high profile executives and broadcasters were supporting Labour, or becoming Labour peers...

Just now, Neville Facking Bartos said:

He’s not employed by the BBC, he provides services as a freelance presenter 

That is a question the courts are considering at the moment. 

Old jug-ears saying he's a contractor isn't definitive proof. Badgers of trade etc (with apologies to Alan Irvine)

The problem is that social media has done its usual and made it a dumb binary argument, let them all in v. keep them all out.

Anyone with any sense can see that we should be sympathetic to refugees but also keep some control over who we let in. The debate is how much of the latter. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1