Gary Lineker.... Off Match of the Day

Braverman gets one thing right in that speech. Economic migrancy will only increase. 

I'm all for taking in those refugees that need to escape their countries out of fear for their lives, or fleeing an environmental disaster, and believe we don't do enough in this area. My first recollection is of Vietnamese boat children and Ugandan Asians joining my school. But I still believe that economic migrants should be able to bring something to the country they're moving to and I don't mean another takeaway or hand car wash. 

If you only want to move here to better yourself or support your family then go through the proper channels and, more importantly, get into the system and pay the relevant taxes the indigenous population pays. Why do so many pay smugglers to get them across? 

• Like 1

Imagine the government investing in the public sectors responsible for our borders & immigration - ensuring they are properly staffed and funded so they can correctly monitor and get applications processed in a timely fashion. 

But why do that when you can spark a lovely culture war and over inflate the issue of immigration to win an election and get idiots to  accuse anyone who agree with Gary that this policy is the wrong response to current situation as being a lefty or a communist or unpatriotic!

Economic migrants - a few poster on here have been that in other countries - but we call them “expats” 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, EBRA said:

Imagine the government investing in the public sectors responsible for our borders & immigration - ensuring they are properly staffed and funded so they can correctly monitor and get applications processed in a timely fashion. 

But why do that when you can spark a lovely culture war and over inflate the issue of immigration to win an election and get idiots to  accuse anyone who agree with Gary that this policy is the wrong response to current situation as being a lefty or a communist or unpatriotic!

Economic migrants - a few poster on here have been that in other countries - but we call them “expats” 

I've no issue with economic migrants, I have an issue with dodgy Albanians coming over on dinghys, you don't see many young women or kids on these boats.

• Like 6

Talked with a tax expert yesterday he seems to think Lineker may have a hidden agenda . His court case with HMRC  hinges on whether he is freelance he says he is ,HMRC say he isn't . Is he trying to back the BBC in to a corner to try and get them to strengthen his case as a freelancer

3 hours ago, lobster said:

Talked with a tax expert yesterday he seems to think Lineker may have a hidden agenda . His court case with HMRC  hinges on whether he is freelance he says he is ,HMRC say he isn't . Is he trying to back the BBC in to a corner to try and get them to strengthen his case as a freelancer

Interesting one but the tax case is apparently from several years ago. He formed a partnership with his then wife to sell his broadcast services. So in theory the facts should be assessed "as at the time" not what he does today

But this is a long line of similar cases that HMRC have taken, with presenters on BBC, ITV, Sky, even Talksport. Mixed bag of results from the cases so far.

One of the issues being that the broadcasters have rarely assisted in supporting these cases, when in truth it was those entities that basically demanded they work through a company to get work. It saves the BBC shitloads in employers NI, pension etc albeit that is neutralised by them being paid higher rates.

But the fact the BBC have disciplined him over this will be a negative to that argument

On 11/03/2023 at 13:57, lobster said:

Lineker is like all critics of any Government - Very easy to Criticize but never come up with a workable solution . Just think of how many asylum seekers Gary could fund if he paid his taxes

You’d think after 13 years in power they wouldn’t need to be criticised and would have a decent handle on the country and our economy, but far from making things better since coming to power they’ve ballsed up nearly everything they’ve touched, so how can you be anything other than critical of them (they’re even at loggerheads with each other - and for the record, I’m not taking a Labour viewpoint or stance here as I’ll never vote for Starmer)?

As for taxes and tax evasion, not sure any Tory or Labour voter/supporter ought to be making any noises on that particular subject either! 

Edited by Bellsview

Lineker 1 - Aunty Beeb 0.

It's just a ridiculous situation really and totally of the Beeb's own making.  Richard Sharp will be lucky to survive this and they look incredibly stupid given the stuff that Alan Sugar posts, Fiona Bruce's undoubted Tory bias (see husband) and how they have responded to previous written complaints.  When this all comes out, as it will in time, there will undoubtedly by Govt Ministers hands all over it.    

• Like 2

On 11/03/2023 at 11:37, Andyben said:

It's not an argument about free speech, though is it.

Not really.

Its whether what he said broke the terms of his employment at the BBC, and it was found that he did.

Indeed it is.  But he is clearly unhappy about those terms of employment, and a large number of his co workers clearly agree.  It does seem somewhat absurd that permanent employees of the BBC can be  censored for conversational tweets, whilst anyone who simple works on a BBC program on a freelance basis, can write weekly columns in national newspapers, ranting about anything and everything.  

Anyway, it looks like those terms of employment may change, as the BBC management appear to have climbed down.    

Weak.  Petty.  Pathetic.  Laughable.  Both the BBC senior leadership and the current government.

1 hour ago, Otto_Man said:

Fiona Bruce showed her true colours defending Stanley Johnson on this week's question time. Beeb might be forced to sack her...

I suggest you read the story rather than as most people do jump up to comment without understanding the situation.

As the presenter of the show - when faced with a comment from the audience that "Stanley Johnson is a wife beater" she had to legally contextualise this. 

So she is not defending Johnson, just making sure the BBC don't get sued for airing unproven in court or by the police claims against a person

The ultimate irony is that she has stepped aside her role at Refuge after 25 years - you know a charity that supports domestic abuse victims

Well done the social media lynch mob, a cracking outcome 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

I suggest you read the story rather than as most people do jump up to comment without understanding the situation.

As the presenter of the show - when faced with a comment from the audience that "Stanley Johnson is a wife beater" she had to legally contextualise this. 

So she is not defending Johnson, just making sure the BBC don't get sued for airing unproven in court or by the police claims against a person

The ultimate irony is that she has stepped aside her role at Refuge after 25 years - you know a charity that supports domestic abuse victims

Not sure how the phrase

Friends of his have said it did happen, it was a one-off

adds legal context...

Edited by Otto_Man

13 hours ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

That's the purpose though, attack Johnson not protect women

9 hours ago, Otto_Man said:

Not sure how the phrase

Friends of his have said it did happen, it was a one-off

adds legal context...

I am not sure that sentence is missing an if

But presumably Fiona Bruce was not making this up on the spin, she was presumably fed the line in her ear from one of the production team. 

Having seen TV shows filmed it was probably an add on then chopped into the edit.

So all those on social media have done is shoot the messenger. Too busy virtue signalling, too busy to join a pile on about Johnson, to prove that Bruce is a tory insider, and now a charity as lost a lead supporter

I've been on QT, literally as I asked a question, and can advise that the show is recorded 'as live' - the only 'retake' made when I was there was when Dimbleby got an intro wrong (to me as it happens) so unless it's changed since, the show goes out, warts and all.

19 minutes ago, Skamp said:

I've been on QT, literally as I asked , and can advise that the show is recorded 'as live' - the only 'retake' made when I was there was when Dimbleby got an intro wrong (to me as it happens) so unless it's changed since, the show goes out, warts and all.

Tbf, although it's been ages since I bothered to watch it, it always felt like warts and all as some of the audience members struggled to form basic sentences, not to mention some of the panel members. 

2 hours ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

I am not sure that sentence is missing an if

But presumably Fiona Bruce was not making this up on the spin, she was presumably fed the line in her ear from one of the production team. 

Having seen TV shows filmed it was probably an add on then chopped into the edit.

So all those on social media have done is shoot the messenger. Too busy virtue signalling, too busy to join a pile on about Johnson, to prove that Bruce is a tory insider, and now a charity as lost a lead supporter

No idea, I quoted the BBC news websites reporting of the story

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-64942726

Everything up to the sentence I quoted added legal context, the last sentence was heresay and added no context legally. For balance, the original point was heresay, but as the host you'd argue Fiona Bruce should have known better...

3 hours ago, Otto_Man said:

No idea, I quoted the BBC news websites reporting of the story

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-64942726

Everything up to the sentence I quoted added legal context, the last sentence was heresay and added no context legally. For balance, the original point was heresay, but as the host you'd argue Fiona Bruce should have known better...

Like I say having watched TV shows being filmed then I suspect very little of what she said were her words ....

Going back a bit and Lineker was a mouthy twat and should stick to football, should also be sacked as the taxpayer is paying over £1M to listen to his guff.

Now we're all happy to be invaded by boats with who knows what on board and paying 7-10 Million per day to house them in our hotels that we can no longer book into.

3 hours ago, Ozzie said:

Going back a bit and Lineker was a mouthy twat and should stick to football, should also be sacked as the taxpayer is paying over £1M to listen to his guff.

Now we're all happy to be invaded by boats with who knows what on board and paying 7-10 Million per day to house them in our hotels that we can no longer book into.

Yeah, and it also takes the pressure off the likes of Nadhim Zahawi, tax fiddling former Chancellor of the Exchequer, who still remains an MP and, to add insult to injury, is free to continue to sponge expenses and a salary off the taxpayer.

Theres an example of someone who should not only be sacked, but who should be doing time for what he’s done!

And how many billions did that economic genius of an ex-PM Liz Truss and her equally talented sidekick Kwasi Kwarteng wipe off the economy? Could have built 5* hotels to house them in with what she spunked away! 

But no, let’s ignore all that and go for Lineker’s jugular instead! 

There’s so much crap being spouted about this issue I don’t know where to start.  

Firstly Lineker, although I defend his right to freedom of speech, was a bit out of order with the Nazi Germany comparison.  Not necessary pal, act your age.

This government’s obsession with the small boats issue though…well it’s just complete bullshit, and obviously an attempt to distract attention from their own (fucking enormous) failings.  The numbers of people coming into the UK via that method is tiny next to the number of people we let in legally (half a million net in one year in the last set of statistics).  It seems there was an abnormal uptick last year, most of which consisted of Albanian males, mostly coming over for organised crime purposes.  There’s a few things that need to be said though.  One, the numbers have already gone down,.  This is completely predictable.  We don’t have hundreds of thousands of vacancies for working in cannabis farms.  Once Albanian crime gangs have brought over a few thousand guys to work on whatever they’re into…it’s basically over. Stable doors and bolted horses.  Two, stats show only 14% of asylum applications by Albanian males that were settled last year were accepted.  So basically the people making these decisions are not idiots, the right people are being allowed to stay, and the right people are being told to sod off.  It’s just not happening quickly enough.  Three, a bloke who’s coming into the UK to work as a pimp or drug producer, isn’t going  to hang around in the accommodation the UK government puts him in.  The only ones who will do that are the ones who actually do want political asylum.

For the record, I am not an unequivocal fan of immigration.  Given we are a country with a chronic housing shortage, and infrastructure and public services that are creaking under the strain, we probably can’t  continue trying to solve all our problems by letting in an extra half million people every year.  It is a very complicated issue that needs to be discussed openly and honestly, but also calmly and rationally.  Not really something the current Home Secretary is managing to do.

• Like 2

On 14/03/2023 at 10:21, BraddersTim said:

Tbf, although it's been ages since I bothered to watch it, it always felt like warts and all as some of the audience members struggled to form basic sentences, not to mention some of the panel members. 

Bit harsh on Skamp, Bradders.

😂